Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Other than the pain and suffering, I would say you came out well on that deal.
We spent hours on this ordeal, not to mention the stress of negotiation, so I don't know if I would say I came out well, but it's like helping friends move, and they buy you dinner? It's like you appreciate the gesture, that sort of thing I think. :lol:
Why sale all of the ammo instead of just using it?
I'm keeping two boxes for my next trip to the range, but I am so stocked up on .45(probably over 1,500rds at this point), with even less shooting I expect to do for while, I just don't need it. As a free gift, or at $10 a box, I'm recovering the out-of-pocket expenses, and everybody is stoked to get their hands on the ammo, so this is working out good! :)

I just disassembled the shotgun and went elbow deep in her guts to remove the safety automatic. Automatic safeties suck, whenever I broke the shotgun to reload the safety automatically engaged. Not anymore!

I also oiled the internal parts, oiled the dry stock and re-blued the barrels. Here better pics with a fitting prairie-ish background. Doc Holiday would be proud, he loved his double.

DSCF2809_1_K_zpsrchuyhvn.jpg

DSCF2815_1_K_zpse8a6xyrx.jpg

DSCF2817_1_K_zpsrcbfbcgw.jpg

Automatic safety does sound like a pain in the ass. Is this a common feature in break-action shotguns? Awesome shotgun by the way. :drool:👍 It looks beautiful, and fun to shoot.

Automatic safety does sound like a pain in the ass. Is this a common feature in break-action shotguns?

It sadly is, but they implemented those safety automatics in their guns for a reason.

Picture some newbie grabbing the shotgun and cocking the hammers, then breaking the gun open to put life rounds into the barrels while unintentionally pointing the gun down at his left foot. Then as he closes the gun he unintentionally or accidentally touches the triggers and soon as the barrels lock in place the gun fires putting two shells of 12 gauge buckshot into his unfortunate forefoot turning it into insta- meat salad. :scared:

The automatic safety engages when the gun is broken open to reload, it blocks the hammers from touching the firing pins. You can't turn the safety off until the gun is closed. As you can see it does make sense for some owners, but if you obey the universal firearms rules you don't need that automatic safety at all.

I removed it because I think its actually dangerous. If you are, for some reason, in a dangerous situation and you need to make a quick reload you have to think about the stupid safety. If you forget about it in the ''heat of battle'' you need to shoot and nothing happens. Whoops! :nervous:

@Michael88 - I figured that it was something like that, and it makes total sense.

Was it hard to remove this safety, or could anyone do it?

Anybody with some basic understandings of mechanics can probably remove the safety automatic. The problem is getting to that safety, shotguns of that brand have super tight screws with tiny little heads.
I had to buy new specially hardened screwdrivers and filed them down so the would grab the tiny groove on the screw head. We're talking about almost razor-thin here, the tip of a butter knife was way too big. Plus you need tons of strength not to strip the screw, but thankfully I have plenty of that. :sly:

After removing the screws its all about pulling a few little pins and removing a sheet-metal connector (which connects the locking mechanism with the safety) with pliers and lots of good old elbow grease. Done!

A gun smith could have done it for me, but doing it myself saved me 75-100 bucks and a week of waiting

I saw a guy struggling with automatic safety only the other week, in his eyes the safety was having the barrel broken. Everyone else just shook their heads, I stared blankly. :odd:

Hey, maybe now is a good time to sell our 5906. Keep driving up that demand, Jerry! :lol:

I hate that freaking gun. It's like a rube goldberg machine. Too many things to catch your fingers on.

1) Best video I've ever seen. 2) I need to buy a DeLorean, so I could go buy that gun.

Shooting a friends 16.5'' K98 in 8x57. Note the fireball at the muzzle, that was in bright daylight, one can only imagine the muzzle flash in the night. :dopey: Also double hearing protection is a must with rifles this short, I get minor ringing in my ears if I only wear muffs or plugs.

OumlIAumlOuml2_zpsumujl8v8.jpg

And I also shot my double barrel shotgun with slugs, I instantly got a ''Safar big game Hunter'' feeling. Strong recoil, a quick second shot, a classic gun. Enjoyed this a lot. :D

So this week I got to experience what it's like to be in the presence of a 50 cal rifle being fired. 🤬. The same gun however also begun disassembling itself and firing when the bolt closed. That surprised the shooter... twice!

Couple of souvenirs, 50 call brass, 7.62 brass and a banana.

NKJg5Lg.jpg

MrwLtn2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome photos both of you. 👍 What the heck is the banana? :odd:

P.S. I scored limit three boxes of .22LR Friday night? I approach the sporting goods section, guy working there is polite, but he was acting weird. I make it to the ammo cabinet, bam, .22LR. :lol: I ask what the limit is, he says 3, so I ask for 3.

Before we are finished, another employee who seem to be getting off his shift ask for 2, which leaves 1 on the shelf. I joke to them "so this is how it happens!", nobody laughs. :lol: I get to the sporting goods counter to pay for the ammo & there are 2, 3 sitting there already, probably for another customer or employee. That's potentially like eight boxes sold within like one minute! :scared:

P.P.S. For the record, they were CCI 100rds($8), and I was buying them for myself & two friends. ;)

Awesome photos both of you. 👍 What the heck is the banana? :odd:

P.S. I scored limit three boxes of .22LR Friday night? I approach the sporting goods section, guy working there is polite, but he was acting weird. I make it to the ammo cabinet, bam, .22LR. :lol: I ask what the limit is, he says 3, so I ask for 3.

Before we are finished, another employee who seem to be getting off his shift ask for 2, which leaves 1 on the shelf. I joke to them "so this is how it happens!", nobody laughs. :lol: I get to the sporting goods counter to pay for the ammo & there are 2, 3 sitting there already, probably for another customer or employee. That's potentially like eight boxes sold within like one minute! :scared:

P.P.S. For the record, they were CCI 100rds($8), and I was buying them for myself & two friends. ;)

Speaking of .22LR, the local Academy had some in stock last Friday, not two days ago. Two co-workers went and I asked them to buy two boxes each, so I was able to make out with six boxes of Mini-Mags. :D

So this week I got to experience what it's like to be in the presence of a 50 cal rifle being fired. 🤬. The same gun however also begun disassembling itself and firing when the bolt closed. That surprised the shooter... twice!

Couple of souvenirs, 50 call brass, 7.62 brass and a banana.

NKJg5Lg.jpg

MrwLtn2.jpg

I have had a .50 cal bullet on display at my house for many years. For more size comparison, here it is next to a .22LR and a Penny. The funny thing is that after you get used to .50 cal size, they start to look normal to you :eek:

IMG_0494_zpsiszw4u6d.jpg

A bit late, but that 5906 video is awesome. Now I'm really curious about that pistol even though I can't buy it anymore.

I had to google the 30mm, but I remember it now. A-10 shot those bad boys. I can't even imagine the terror of getting shot at by those things, and at that rate! :nervous:
Speaking of .22LR, the local Academy had some in stock last Friday, not two days ago. Two co-workers went and I asked them to buy two boxes each, so I was able to make out with six boxes of Mini-Mags. :D
:lol: You better shoot all of them! ;) :D
A bit late, but that 5906 video is awesome. Now I'm really curious about that pistol even though I can't buy it anymore.
We need more metal frame pistols in the market. :drool:

Got to take my K98 out today to finish off the last of the Ruskie ammo. Only shot it at an indoor range (my friend was being an idiot and didn't want to shoot at a 200 yard sportsmans club I'm in) at about 20-30 yards, and had 2 inch groupings a little bit high of the center mass 10 ring, but within the 9, so I'd say that's good now knowing where it shoots. The first time we were completely clueless my dad and I. But we were only at 100 yards so I'm not sure how it's gonna climb more than a foot...

Got to take my K98 out today to finish off the last of the Ruskie ammo. Only shot it at an indoor range (my friend was being an idiot and didn't want to shoot at a 200 yard sportsmans club I'm in) at about 20-30 yards, and had 2 inch groupings a little bit high of the center mass 10 ring, but within the 9, so I'd say that's good now knowing where it shoots. The first time we were completely clueless my dad and I. But we were only at 100 yards so I'm not sure how it's gonna climb more than a foot...
Ugh. Sounds frustrating. :crazy: Maybe because I don't get to shoot a lot, or on a consistent basis.

I made a quick trip to the range today and shot 120 rounds through my Tavor. I sucked, well after the first magazine. The first magazine went well and then I could not do my part. This old pair of contacts did not help matters.

I made a quick trip to the range today and shot 120 rounds through my Tavor. I sucked, well after the first magazine. The first magazine went well and then I could not do my part. This old pair of contacts did not help matters.
I hear you on the contact lenses. I had trouble with mine at the range, and this was the only time I shot at the distance of 200 yards. With iron sights! I shot real well, because it was somebody elses rifle that was sighted in perfectly(lol), but man, I had hell of a time trying to acquire the paper target. :ouch:

Get optics for your rifle, slap a good 1-4x24 or 2-7x33 scope on it, that should do the trick if you are experiencing troubles with your eyes when using irons.

I knew this particular pair of contacts was at the time when they need to be replaced, but I did not really notice how much worse my sight was than normal until I left the range. It is not a huge difference from a brand new pair, but it is a enough to make some difference. It does not help that I have not shot anything in a few months. Such a failure.

Back