Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
I'm looking at bandoliers. This one is made by Blackhawk. I think it holds 55 shells:

IMG_4747.PNG

I can get one made by Kley-Zion that holds 123 shells, which is absolutely insane. It's double sided:

IMG_4748.PNG

And speaking of Kley-Zion, I'm getting an extension tube for my Benelli through them, so my gun will be able to hold 7 shells(8 if I ghost load).. It's just a screw on one, not the full tube.

I eventually want to get the full tube, a place called CarrierComp makes them, they are pricey at $200 and there is a several month wait for one. They used to make several different parts, but they got so swamped with orders for these tubes, that's all they do now.

That Botach is a pretty cool site, that she where I ordered the extension tube through.

I have the black hawk 12 gauge bandoleer and I can totally recommend it. No complaints and it works as intended.

About the Botach bandoleer, I think having loops on both sides would be very heavy and unpractical though, a fully loaded normal bandoleer is already pretty darn heavy for what it is.

I have the black hawk 12 gauge bandoleer and I can totally recommend it. No complaints and it works as intended.

About the Botach bandoleer, I think having loops on both sides would be very heavy and unpractical though, a fully loaded normal bandoleer is already pretty darn heavy for what it is.
Yeah that's kind of what I'm thinking too. It does look pretty cool when it's all loaded up though, but I'm sure that would be heavy as heck. I also ordered a two point sling and some HK clip hooks for mounting onto my Benellis sling mounts.

I buy from Botach, too. I just got this OD green rifle case from them.

ca-345g_lrg.jpg

They've also been the cheapest place I can find mags. I've bought many from them over the years. Only downside with the Botach. They spam your email box like their life depend on it. :lol:

I buy from Botach, too. I just got this OD green rifle case from them.

ca-345g_lrg.jpg

They've also been the cheapest place I can find mags. I've bought many from them over the years. Only downside with the Botach. They spam your email box like their life depend on it. :lol:
I know!!! I just ordered that extension tube yesterday, and signed up with them. Today I've gotten at least 5-6 emails from them, advertising sales they have. It's still a pretty cool site.

I know!!! I just ordered that extension tube yesterday, and signed up with them. Today I've gotten at least 5-6 emails from them, advertising sales they have. It's still a pretty cool site.
Just know they can't take PayPal on some items, like magazines(in my case) & they also require physical address to mail the stuff to. Still, decent selection & the best prices!

I'll have to find the brand for my drag bag that I used when I used to play Airsoft but now it's relegated to carrying my Mauser (if I ever get the damned thing back (apparently tomorrow)) and my Mosin (which barely fits).

I'm going to have to start working some overtime to pay for all the stuff I want now. I start looking on my phone at things, and I end up finding stuff I want. I just ordered 3 chokes from Benelli. Of course then I needed a choke case to put them in, so I went to Amazon after that.

I've been looking at places online to buy bulk ammo, but I really don't want to buy any in bulk, until I try it out first.

I'm going to have to start working some overtime to pay for all the stuff I want now. I start looking on my phone at things, and I end up finding stuff I want. I just ordered 3 chokes from Benelli. Of course then I needed a choke case to put them in, so I went to Amazon after that.

I've been looking at places online to buy bulk ammo, but I really don't want to buy any in bulk, until I try it out first.

Have you heard of SGAmmo?

Have you heard of SGAmmo?
I just checked it out now. There's several different sites I've been looking at, bulkammo.com, luckygunner.com, midwayusa.com, all are pretty good. Looking for free shipping is a plus too.

I need to find some place around here that I can buy single boxes of the stuff I want to buy bulk, just to see how I like it before I buy a bunch. I can always go to bass pro or cabellas I guess.

Edit: ammoseek.com is where it's at. It searchs over 120+ online ammo suppliers for the current best price on what you're looking for. You can filter all kinds of things, it's really cool. I found out about it reading several forums. They even have an app for your smartphone or tablet. :)

That SGAmmo.com is really cool. Thanks @Brett. They usually pop up towards the top of the list with the best price, as I've been using ammoseek.

Last edited:
I just checked it out now. There's several different sites I've been looking at, bulkammo.com, luckygunner.com, midwayusa.com, all are pretty good. Looking for free shipping is a plus too.

I need to find some place around here that I can buy single boxes of the stuff I want to buy bulk, just to see how I like it before I buy a bunch. I can always go to bass pro or cabellas I guess.

Edit: ammoseek.com is where it's at. It searchs over 120+ online ammo suppliers for the current best price on what you're looking for. You can filter all kinds of things, it's really cool. I found out about it reading several forums. They even have an app for your smartphone or tablet. :)

That SGAmmo.com is really cool. Thanks @Brett. They usually pop up towards the top of the list with the best price, as I've been using ammoseek.

For single boxes, you are probably better off buying locally, unless you are going to make a large order of a variety of boxes. Do you have an Academy nearby? Their prices can be good on things.

For single boxes, you are probably better off buying locally, unless you are going to make a large order of a variety of boxes. Do you have an Academy nearby? Their prices can be good on things.
There's an Academy about an hour away, I've never been there. We do have a Dunns Sporting Goods store that carries a variety of ammo, and of course Wal-Mart.

I'm probably going to by ammo buy the bulk, just because if I go out shooting with this thing with some friends, it can go through 100 shells in no time.

The way I figure it is 12 gauge is cheap enough to buy in large quantities. I typically buy in bulk from ammunition to go online. I've bought in bulk a few times from them and was happy with the prices and selection. That said, I haven't bought from them in a few years so I don't know if their prices are still good or not. But I stand by my statement that 12 gauge is cheap enough to buy hundreds of shells for pretty affordably and stockpile it and you don't have to buy it again for a long time.

I'm stocked up on all sorts of 12 gauge loads, I don't shoot my shotgun much, so I'm not looking to buy, but how much can you save online?

I get shells from Walmart, and I think their pricing is $5.50-ish for 25rds of bird shot($5 on sale), $15(?) for 15rds of Magnum buck, or slugs?

Yup. Flats, or boxes of 100 are good buys. Especially if you do skeet shooting (then you gotta buy the clays lol).

on the other hand....

LOOK WHAT I GOT BACK TODAY!!!
DSC_1577.jpg

So I get to the shop at around 4:45, and walk in. Give my name and tell them I'm waiting for my Mauser to be finished. She looks at the computer, and then walks to the back room to see if it's there. Well she comes walking out with nothing in hand, and asks one of the guys behind the counter if he knows what's up with it. I overhear that he said the guy that takes them to and from their machinist was on the way back, and that he should have it (halledamnlujah). The guy says he'll call him up and ask where. 3 minutes out he says, and I tell him I can wait that long (you'd expect to after waiting 2 months).

I see him walk through the door with it, and a sigh of relief comes through. The issue was that the bolt could be brought up, but it couldn't be pulled back because the scope was too low (even with the highest rings I could find). I had also eyed up a bayonet for it I spotted a few weeks back and add that to the bill.

From what was going to be $150 for the job turned out to be $100+$100 for the knife. Happy imo, as I wouldn't have been able to shoot it for the weeks that have followed.

There's an Academy about an hour away, I've never been there. We do have a Dunns Sporting Goods store that carries a variety of ammo, and of course Wal-Mart.

I'm probably going to by ammo buy the bulk, just because if I go out shooting with this thing with some friends, it can go through 100 shells in no time.

If the other stores are closer, then it is not worth the drive.

I've been looking at crazy ammo all day long. This first video is OATH Tango 12 gauge shells. They come in a brass shell, supposed to be devestating. They don't pass through the body, they come apart inside and shred it. Stupid expensive though, I saw them for $43 for 5 shells.

The second cool ammo is Brenneke Black Magic Magnum slugs. They are supposed to kick like a mule, but be awesome. I've read a lot of people keep them in their shotguns in Bear country. They are high too, not nearly as high as the OATH ammo. 5 for around $12. I'll probably get a few boxes of the Brennekes just for fun.

I've been looking at crazy ammo all day long. This first video is OATH Tango 12 gauge shells. They come in a brass shell, supposed to be devestating. They don't pass through the body, they come apart inside and shred it. Stupid expensive though, I saw them for $43 for 5 shells.

The second cool ammo is Brenneke Black Magic Magnum slugs. They are supposed to kick like a mule, but be awesome. I've read a lot of people keep them in their shotguns in Bear country. They are high too, not nearly as high as the OATH ammo. 5 for around $12. I'll probably get a few boxes of the Brennekes just for fun.

More proof that shotguns are BFGs.

Today I visited the shooting range for the first time in 4 months, the winter break in combination with a very busy business life prevented me from training with my firearms.

So I took my Mauser 98 and shot targets at 100 meters with my handloads and I got good results right away.
The weird thing is, I always shoot this rifle really well on cold dreary winter days with fading daylight. Those are terrible conditions for rifle shooting but thats when this rifle really shines.

Mauser K98 open sights at 100 meters, 5 shots. All my targets looked like this. :dopey:

k988x57PRVI_zpsq0mfab4b.jpg

Today I visited the shooting range for the first time in 4 months, the winter break in combination with a very busy business life prevented me from training with my firearms.

So I took my Mauser 98 and shot targets at 100 meters with my handloads and I got good results right away.
The weird thing is, I always shoot this rifle really well on cold dreary winter days with fading daylight. Those are terrible conditions for rifle shooting but thats when this rifle really shines.

Mauser K98 open sights at 100 meters, 5 shots. All my targets looked like this. :dopey:

k988x57PRVI_zpsq0mfab4b.jpg
Nice. I'll probably get to go to my range next weekend and post results Sunday.

Is yours spoterized or still WW2 configuration?

Nice. I'll probably get to go to my range next weekend and post results Sunday.

Is yours spoterized or still WW2 configuration?

Completely original WWII spec, and in very good condition. Though, I re-blued a part of the barrel and cleaned and oiled the stock. Sensible preservation is the keyword here. :)

Oiling an old stock is more important than most people believe, wood gets kind of dry if it hasn't been oiled in 70 years +. The wood will shrink and warp causing uneven pressure on the barrel inside the barrel channel. That will have quite lot of impact on accuracy. Not to mention dry wood is more likely to crack.

Excuse my lack of understanding, but what is spoterized?
Taking an old WW2 gun and replacing the stock with a new hunting style stock and installing modern scope mounts and scopes.

The automotive equivalent would be hot-rodding.

Sporterizing is a very highly debated topic in the gun world.

It can be controversial, because your are sacrificing a vintage classic, but one I liked hearing about was the Arisaka rifles that's been converted to .30-06. That's kinda cool.

Excuse my lack of understanding, but what is spoterized?
Yup. The above says all.

When i asked on the collector foums if anyone has done the same as i did to mine, i was treated like trash and that i should sell my gun before touching it.

Oh well... Too late now lol

A buddy and I made a trip to the range today. As expected, there were quite a few people out today, as the weather was fantastic for being outside. Unfortunately because of the number of people, we only did some shotgun shooting. The range has both machine and manual throwers. We used the manual throwers. After owning my 590A1 for however long now, I finally took the time to shoot it. We put 50 shell through it and the more I shot the better I got at it. The trip was quite fun and I expect I may be doing more shotgun shooting in the future.

A buddy and I made a trip to the range today. As expected, there were quite a few people out today, as the weather was fantastic for being outside. Unfortunately because of the number of people, we only did some shotgun shooting. The range has both machine and manual throwers. We used the manual throwers. After owning my 590A1 for however long now, I finally took the time to shoot it. We put 50 shell through it and the more I shot the better I got at it. The trip was quite fun and I expect I may be doing more shotgun shooting in the future.
That 590A1 is supposed to be a great gun, that's what I was going to buy if I didn't get the Benelli. I still may get one some day. They aren't too pricey either. I love shooting shotguns. :)

That 590A1 is supposed to be a great gun, that's what I was going to buy if I didn't get the Benelli. I still may get one some day. They aren't too pricey either. I love shooting shotguns. :)

The only reason I have a 590A1 is the price I bought it for was too good to pass up. I was not even planning on buying a shotgun at that point.

590 is a Mossberg, right?

*Likes guns but knows nothing about them*

Indeed. The A1 version is a little different than the 590. The 590A1 has an aluminum trigger guard and safety, heavier barrel, and a bayonet lug.

Back