Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
You better get some rifled slugs because those optics will be useless where they should actually benefit the user. I mean, buckshot and any other shotgun shell of that kind won't be effective past...50 yards?
They aren't magnification optics, there's no magnification, they are just red dot sights. The dots can go far out, but there's no zoom effect that will mess up your close range shots.

I think it's bad ass, but how long would those things last on a 12-gauge? I'm sorry, I have zero familiarity with red dot, or mounting optics on a shotgun. I always thought it would be cool to mount one on my shotgun too, but I've always wanted the full size one, like EOTech. But again, I'd be afraid to put one on due to excessive recoil of the 12-gauge. :crazy:

I think it's bad ass, but how long would those things last on a 12-gauge? I'm sorry, I have zero familiarity with red dot, or mounting optics on a shotgun. I always thought it would be cool to mount one on my shotgun too, but I've always wanted the full size one, like EOTech. But again, I'd be afraid to put one on due to excessive recoil of the 12-gauge. :crazy:
Both the Aimpoint and the Trijicon have great records on the Benelli M4. They are made to last. That's maybe why they are pricey too. I don't know a lot about them either, but I'm learning a lot. Theres a ton of people use red dots on their HD shotguns, and even in active duty, so they have to be pretty reliable one would think.

Both the Aimpoint and the Trijicon have great records on the Benelli M4. They are made to last. That's maybe why they are pricey too. I don't know a lot about them either, but I'm learning a lot. Theres a ton of people use red dots on their HD shotguns, and even in active duty, so they have to be pretty reliable one would think.
That's cool to hear. I'll see how yours hold up, then I might consider one for my shotgun. j/k :P :lol:

That's cool to hear. I'll see how yours hold up, then I might consider one for my shotgun. j/k :P :lol:
Lol! People in the Benelli forums and other gun forums have been putting Aimpoints on their Benelli's for 10+ yrs now, I'm not worried about them not holding up. I was just curious if anyone here has had experience shooting with either of those sights. :cheers:

Lol! People in the Benelli forums and other gun forums have been putting Aimpoints on their Benelli's for 10+ yrs now, I'm not worried about them not holding up. I was just curious if anyone here has had experience shooting with either of those sights. :cheers:
What got me paranoid was numerous stories of EOTechs failing, not with the 12-Gauge, not with the 7.62s, but with the .556s! It's not like that I've studied those failures closely or anything. If Aimpoints hold up well, that's great news. 👍

What got me paranoid was numerous stories of EOTechs failing, not with the 12-Gauge, not with the 7.62s, but with the .556s! It's not like that I've studied those failures closely or anything. If Aimpoints hold up well, that's great news. 👍
That's EOTech though, from what I read Aimpoints pretty much top of the line when it comes to red dot sights. Their Aimpoint Comp M4 has a battery life of 8 years, that's constant. You can keep that thing on for eight years straight. It's too big and bulky though, that's why I'm going with the Aimpoint micro series (t1-t2).

Opinions needed. Do any of you have experience with the Trijicon RMR or Aimpoint T-2 optics? They are red dot sights, and I'm looking to get one or the other. A cool company called Scalarworks makes custom rails for what I need, and they have bundles with the rails/mounts and sights coming out, but they don't last long.

The Trijicon is smaller, and a bit cooler looking. They can be put on handguns too. I'm liking the Aimpoint t-2 a bit more though, but I'm going back and forth between them.

View attachment 629946

View attachment 629947

That's the Trijicon rmr, that's not on the new custom rails though, that's the old one.

View attachment 629948

View attachment 629949

That's the Aimpoint T2. It's waterproof up to 80 feet, and is a 2 MOA red dot.

View attachment 629950

That's both of them on the new rails, so that's the heighth I will be looking through on my gun. One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the T2, is the co-witnessing with the iron sights/ghost rings is much better than the Trijicon. Plus it has a battery life of 50k hours, which means I can leave it on constantly for 5 years without switching batteries. I don't think it looks to bulky on the gun, but I am wanting opinions, or personal experiences with either if anyone has had any. The only thing with the T-2, is it mounts from underneath the rail, so I would have to take the rail off to remove it.

https://scalarworks.com/optic-bundles/

That's the company that makes them, they have some really cool optical mounts. Both packages should be available any time, but they sell out really quick, like in a matter of hours sometimes.

You cannot really go wrong with either the RMR or the Aimpoint. I have been able to shoot a few handguns with RMRs on them and really liked them. My Tavor has an Aimpoint Pro on it. My only complaint with the Pro is that it is not a Micro T1 or T2.

I wouldn't spend money on optics for a scatter gun. It's utterly pointless.

I might spend the money on optics for a scatter gun. Red dots are stupid simple to use.

I might spend the money on optics for a scatter gun. Red dots are stupid simple to use.

I have plenty of experience with Aimpoints and EOTechs and yes they are very easy to use but it's big money to put one on a shotgun and the M4 already has sight apertures. Even a bead sight is fine for what a shotgun does. I would not spend $400+ on an optic outside of actual rifles. The front and rear sight apertures on the Benelli M4 are fine. The main reason for a red dot like an Aimpoint is quick target acquisition for a single bullet trigger pull. Anyone can do what they want with their money but I don't see the point on a shotgun. Stick it on a rifle and I get it. Another concern with putting something fairly bulky like a red dot on top of a semi auto shotgun (not the M4 as it's gas operated) is functionality issues. Most semi auto shotguns would be recoil operated. You don't want to put anything on top of it that can affect the cycling. Also, a note on high top mounted red dots that were never intended for usage on something like a shotgun, you have to use a riser to make it work and this leads to some issues with parallax. I'm not here to talk anyone out of anything just wouldn't spend the money if it were me. You do get 1,000 Tactical points though.

This is why I love InRangeTv. :lol:

Double post, though not really related to my previous post. I have been watching a bunch of their videos the last few days and really enjoy their two gun videos. I should have been watching their stuff earlier.

Double post, though not really related to my previous post. I have been watching a bunch of their videos the last few days and really enjoy their two gun videos. I should have been watching their stuff earlier.
Check out ForgottenWeapons as well, there's some really crazy things on there and its taught me a lot (as both have). 👍

Took the K98 to the range today to sight it in.

First off, I noticed at the house that the scope was aimed to the right by a fair bit by looking down from the top. Got to the range with no tools as the knobs can be twisted instead of needing a screwdriver. Take two shots at 50 yards, nothing hits the paper.

So I move up to the 25 yard bench, nothing hits the paper. Okay... Take off the cheek riser and bore sight it... Holy crap, it's 8 inches to the right (the scope) at 25 yards... I try to twist the windage screws first with a dime before messing with the adjustments... bent the dime..

Welp, go back home, get a screwdriver, adjust, a bit. Then, I go to my neighbor's house and see if he has a boresighter like this:
178613.jpg

Pretty cool, attach it to the front of the barrel with the magnet, line it up with the scope and try to level it out. Inside is essentially a target that you would see down range. Twist the knobs to get them zeroed on the target and you should be close.

Went back to the range and fired off two shots. One high, one low on the paper (it's 100 yard MOA sighting paper with 9 grids in all ways) and I start freaking out... The barrel was relatively warm, but I assume it cooled down a bit while I drove to and from my house. Fire in three more shots and they still fly all over the place.

A little bit mad now, but I keep firing to try and find a grouping going on. The 6th shot hits near one of the recent shots that went low on the board. Fire 2 more and they end up within .25" of each other. Phhhhew.. Quick sigh of relief their. Adjust the scope until I get it hitting the center and was content with where it's hitting.

Next weekend I'll try the 100 and 200 yard benches.

20170226_124321.jpg

edit:

Is it a ruined gun? No, not at all. Is it more fun to shoot now? Yes, absolutely.

Is it a ruined gun? No, not at all. Is it more fun to shoot now? Yes, absolutely.

As gun it isn't ruined, it still shoots straight and is in good working condition. It's pretty hard to ruin a gun. As a historical artifact of a bygone era it is ruined.

It all depends on the owner, one guy has a Mauser k98 and thinks he would enjoy it much more if it had a modern scope on it, other people find it cool that they own the exact rifle which was used by the Germans in the biggest war ever-. Whatever makes you happy.

Personally, I can totally understand the former, but I count myself to the latter.

I only have strong feelings about the matter when an extremely rare gun is altered, because there are so few original specimen left. Thats a little ignorant and selfish, I think if you get your hands on a VERY rare historical artifact you have the responsibility to keep it in good, original shape, not for you but also for future generations.
History must be preserved, be it paintings, cars, guns, buildings or what have you.

Last edited:
As gun it isn't not ruined, it still shoots straight and is in good working condition. It's pretty hard to ruin a gun. As a historical artifact of a bygone era it is ruined.

It all depends on the owner, one guy has a Mauser k98 and thinks he would enjoy it much more if it had a modern scope on it, other people find it cool that they own the exact rifle which was used by the Germans in the biggest war ever-. Whatever makes you happy.

Personally, I can totally understand the former, but I count myself to the latter.

I only have strong feelings about the matter when an extremely rare gun is altered, because there are so few original specimen left. Thats a little ignorant and selfish, I think if you get your hands on a VERY rare historical artifact you have the responsibility to keep it in good, original shape, not for you but also for future generations.
History must be preserved, be it paintings, cars, guns, buildings or what have you.
I agree. If it were an all matching K98, I wouldn't have even though. But as an RC K98 with absolutely nothing matching on it, plus the barrel needing to be reblued, as well as some of the wood probably needing to be refinished, it doesn't affect me.

As an AX41 yes, it's one of the less common ones, however, I chose to be one that goes out and shoots guns. Not one to put it up as a $500 decoration.

As an AX41 yes, it's one of the less common ones, however, I chose to be one that goes out and shoots guns. Not one to put it up as a $500 decoration.

I shoot all of my historical rifles as well, I'm definitely not one of those that let them collect dust all alone in some showcase. That's just wrong, guns need to be shot.
I have not altered any of them though, I see no need because they're highly accurate the way they are.

I just received my new gun stock, its going to replace an old stock I no longer like.

Its from Boyds USA. I really like laminated wood, its much more durable than normal wood, its very weather resistant, feels WAY better than plastics but it is nearly as strong and as just as low-maintenance.

I had to do some inletting in the barrel channel and I used the opportunity to give it a light coat of linseed varnish to give the surface a protective coating. Not really necessary but it looks nice and increases durability a bit.

stock12_zpsqt8vwtb2.jpg

Boyds makes pretty good stocks, I can totally recommend them but with all the products made in the USA they tend to sometimes churn out utter turds. :P
This is the second stock I got, the first one had wonky inletting that did not fully accept the action. The screw holes were too far apart etc. It was unfixable. This one fits like a charm though. 👍

(oooh and it feels infinitely better than synthetic stocks :D )

20 Shots with my Mauser K98, open sights, 100 meters / 110 yds. I shot it very rapidly, only the front of the rifle rested on a sandbag. I only aimed for 2 seconds or so each shot. I operated the bolt as fast as I could and reloaded the rifle with stripper clips.

It was really fun to let the rifle rock and roll hard, especially after the painfully slow and methodical target shooting. It never ceases to amaze me how much firepower you can get out of a simple 75 year old warhorse with good ammo and practice. :dopey:

Without the two vertical flyers thats a less than fist sized group. I'm happy with that performance, considering how fast I shot it with a hot barrel.

rapid98_zpsbfou1vo1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm headed to a gun and knife show this evening. 450+ tables, it's only $6 to get in so I'm going to check it out. Supposed to be one of the biggest gun shows in Missouri, but it's close to Kentucky and Tennessee as well, so I'm sure there will be alot of people there.

I have no plans on buying a gun, unless there's some stupid great deal. Should be interesting though.👍

I used to go to gun shows, but I started buying stuff either locally, or online & the biggest problem for me was because I'm not a U.S. Citizen, my background check takes hours. Obviously, it's not practical for me at all to buy a firearm at the show, even if I see something I like. :( I really should get the Citizenship. :guilty:

P. S. I got that Burris scope/red dot from other day. If I can, I'm hoping to visit the shooting range tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

I wasn't really impressed with the gun show, it wasn't nearly as big as advertised, maybe 200 tables at the most. A lot of the guns were in pretty rough shape, and the ones that were in good/newer condition, they wanted full price for. There wasn't many deals. It was still ok though, only $6 so I can't complain to much. There was one guy at a table that had several M1 Garands for sale, they looked in rough shape and he wanted over 2k a piece for each of them.

I've finally ordered some ammo online, my first order was from ammoliquidator.com, they have some really great prices, but after I ordered I read that it's a really sketchy operation. I ordered last Wednesday, and I still haven't gotten a shipping notification yet. I'll give them a few more days, then email them.

Tonight I ordered a bigger amount of ammo from SGAmmo.com. Thanks to @Brett for the heads up on that one, every gun forum or search I've done on that place, has nothing but great things to say about it. I'm not at all worried about the shipment showing up and being right.

Also I've been thinking about a handgun. I don't think I'll really C&C much, as I don't really go anywhere that's needed. If I worked up in St. Louis, I'd definitely would. I've been looking at several models and calibers. The consensus I get, is if I'm not going to C&C, I can't go wrong with a 1911, which I've always wanted one. I've also been looking at the FN Five-seveN(people either love that gun or hate it, I think it's cool, I also know it's harder to get ammo for etc). I've also been looking at Heckler and Koch, I like some of there models too. I would like to end up with a .45 and a 9 millimeter. It will be awhile before I decide though.

I wasn't really impressed with the gun show, it wasn't nearly as big as advertised, maybe 200 tables at the most. A lot of the guns were in pretty rough shape, and the ones that were in good/newer condition, they wanted full price for. There wasn't many deals. It was still ok though, only $6 so I can't complain to much. There was one guy at a table that had several M1 Garands for sale, they looked in rough shape and he wanted over 2k a piece for each of them.

I've finally ordered some ammo online, my first order was from ammoliquidator.com, they have some really great prices, but after I ordered I read that it's a really sketchy operation. I ordered last Wednesday, and I still haven't gotten a shipping notification yet. I'll give them a few more days, then email them.

Tonight I ordered a bigger amount of ammo from SGAmmo.com. Thanks to @Brett for the heads up on that one, every gun forum or search I've done on that place, has nothing but great things to say about it. I'm not at all worried about the shipment showing up and being right.

Also I've been thinking about a handgun. I don't think I'll really C&C much, as I don't really go anywhere that's needed. If I worked up in St. Louis, I'd definitely would. I've been looking at several models and calibers. The consensus I get, is if I'm not going to C&C, I can't go wrong with a 1911, which I've always wanted one. I've also been looking at the FN Five-seveN(people either love that gun or hate it, I think it's cool, I also know it's harder to get ammo for etc). I've also been looking at Heckler and Koch, I like some of there models too. I would like to end up with a .45 and a 9 millimeter. It will be awhile before I decide though.
You could go with a classic six-shooter of some caliber.

You could go with a classic six-shooter of some caliber.

IMG_4764.JPG

Like this? :sly: (My buddy at work has shot one of those, and said it wasn't much fun. I think they are cool though, there's nothing like dropping a bear with a hand gun).

A .357 would be a cool gun, my
Uncle had one but I've never shot it. A .44 would be cool too, if I got a revolver it would be one of those.

Back