Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Yay, I got my 5 33 rounder Glock mags! Now I only need my license, a G17, a Micro Roni stock, an optic and 9mm ammo. Piece of cake, right. :crazy:

kFusvw9.jpg

Brought my Swiss straight-pull Gewehr 1911 7.5x55 rifle to the range, and it was fantastically accurate with my new handloads!

The best group, 5 shots at 100 meters (110 yds) with iron sights. Other groups were similar but this one was the best. :dopey: Not bad for a nearly 108 year old rifle, huh?

8D7Y5HU.jpg

Last edited:
Michael88 how are things coming along with the Micro Roni setup? How does licensing work in Austria, is it a background check and/or registration of a firearm? Also, nice shooting with that Gewehr.

A few days ago I went to the range and saw this on display...
20190608_181912.jpg

ArmaLite AR50 .50 BMG

At the range I only shoot my CZ Scorpion and DP12 Shotgun. The headshots in the upper left hand corner were with the CZ at 25 yards. The rest was the Shotgun with 00-Buck at the same distance.

20190608_181114.jpg

20190608_181129.jpg

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but last month, I went up to one of my plinking spots & saw that it was "closed" for shooting. It mentioned proximity to people & loggers, but I got the feeling idiots leaving heaps of trashes behind had lot to do with it also.

Anywho, while we've been visiting this mountain for many, many years, much of it remained unexplored by us. Last weekend, I just took my Glock 19 up there with me to do little practice on the side, also to "chart"(also getting lost lol) many roads that aren't on Google map to find more plinking spots.

I did find one decent spot for quickie, but there remain so much more to be discovered. :P

gtp.JPG

Just Glock, boxes of 9mm, tall cardboard box/paper targets & a stapler. I still suck with this gun, but I'll keep practicing. I am improving.

gtppp.JPG

Nothing like my old spot, but still found many shell casing on the ground.

Michael88 how are things coming along with the Micro Roni setup? How does licensing work in Austria, is it a background check and/or registration of a firearm? Also, nice shooting with that Gewehr. [/SPOILER]
Thank you.

Next week I have an appointment at the doc for my psychological screening which takes two hours. After that I'll go do the weapons handling course, which is held every three weeks. I guess I'll get those two things inside the next 2-3 weeks.
Then I have to grab all the positive results and head to the district commission to apply for the license. They'll do background checks and other bureaucratic stuff that takes 1-2 months. :indiff:

Yeah I'm impatient already, but good things happen to people who can wait. Or thats what I am telling myself. :scared:

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but last month, I went up to one of my plinking spots & saw that it was "closed" for shooting. It mentioned proximity to people & loggers, but I got the feeling idiots leaving heaps of trashes behind had lot to do with it also.

Anywho, while we've been visiting this mountain for many, many years, much of it remained unexplored by us. Last weekend, I just took my Glock 19 up there with me to do little practice on the side, also to "chart"(also getting lost lol) many roads that aren't on Google map to find more plinking spots.

I did find one decent spot for quickie, but there remain so much more to be discovered. :P

View attachment 828177
Just Glock, boxes of 9mm, tall cardboard box/paper targets & a stapler. I still suck with this gun, but I'll keep practicing. I am improving.

View attachment 828178
Nothing like my old spot, but still found many shell casing on the ground.

Probably because of idiots leaving trash behind. It is always a good idea to pick up as much stuff as you can before you leave for that reason. A few bad apples will ruin the spot for everyone else.

Probably because of idiots leaving trash behind. It is always a good idea to pick up as much stuff as you can before you leave for that reason. A few bad apples will ruin the spot for everyone else.
Same approach for me as well. While it's impossible to find every single one of your spent shell casings, you can leave with more trash than you brought in.

@a6m5 how often do you dry fire your Glock? I don't dry fire mine much (although I should) but this is something I often do at the range usually when I'm by myself. I usually start with dry firing the gun 5 times before I load the magazine and do some live firing. I usually load my magazines with 10 rounds and after those 10 rounds I'll do another round of dry firing to focus on proper mechanics. I'll usually do at least 5 dry fires or more if I catch myself anticipating the recoil (pushing the barrel down). Something else I also use is a MantisX training tool (video below) this is awesome and has helped me become a better shooter, now I need to work on consistency.

@Michael88 considering how long it takes to go through the process of gun ownership in Austria, do local gun stores allow you to reserve firearms with the intent of purchasing once you've approved?

@Brett this is exactly why I am a fan of steel targets and brass catchers

@a6m5 how often do you dry fire your Glock? I don't dry fire mine much (although I should) but this is something I often do at the range usually when I'm by myself. I usually start with dry firing the gun 5 times before I load the magazine and do some live firing. I usually load my magazines with 10 rounds and after those 10 rounds I'll do another round of dry firing to focus on proper mechanics. I'll usually do at least 5 dry fires or more if I catch myself anticipating the recoil (pushing the barrel down). Something else I also use is a MantisX training tool (video below) this is awesome and has helped me become a better shooter, now I need to work on consistency.
I appreciate the reminder, because I also should be doing some dry fire exercises. :dunce: Thanks for another informative video, too(where do you find this stuff!). While it's little rich for me, it's a very interesting training tool. Very cool. 👍

While I've made much progress both on accuracy & consistency with the Glock 19, most of my shots are still low to low-er. I didn't even suspect recoil anticipation, but that makes total sense. :dunce: I'll keep this in mind for next time, maybe next week. 👍

I appreciate the reminder, because I also should be doing some dry fire exercises. :dunce: Thanks for another informative video, too(where do you find this stuff!). While it's little rich for me, it's a very interesting training tool. Very cool. 👍

While I've made much progress both on accuracy & consistency with the Glock 19, most of my shots are still low to low-er. I didn't even suspect recoil anticipation, but that makes total sense. :dunce: I'll keep this in mind for next time, maybe next week. 👍

No problem, prior to getting the Mantis X I used to use a Pistol Correction Chart (pic below). At the range I would fire a few shots then compare my shots to the chart to find out what I was doing wrong. I downloaded this chart onto my phone but you can always print a copy and keep it in your range bag. It would be great to always have an instructor/coach by my side to help me fix my mistakes, but that is very expensive. I still believe in the importance of firearms training courses and plan on taking a few courses in the future. But for the time being, the Mantis X suites my needs.

With your shots being low it could very well be an issue with the gun i.e. sights, barrel, etc. But then again it could also be the ammo.

I've been subscribed to Chad's channel (Green Light Shooting) for a few years now. I like his unbiased reviews and the fact that he is a very humbled individual.

Screenshot_20170626-173045.png

considering how long it takes to go through the process of gun ownership in Austria, do local gun stores allow you to reserve firearms with the intent of purchasing once you've approved?
No not really, nobody reserves firearms around here, they sell to whoever shows up with the cash first. At a very few gun stores you can buy a firearm without the license but they will hold onto it till you show up with the proper papers.
Thought about doing that but me passing the psychological screening, while highly likely, is not absolutely certain.

I know somebody - a hard working and very nice family father who loves his family - who almost didn't pass the tests simply because he said he does not drink any alcohol. The psychologist assumed he didn't drink alcohol because he was afraid of losing control, probably because he gets violent when he does, or that he had parents who were alcoholics. I know him and he simply hates the taste of alcohol but the psychologist just didn't believe him. He just barely passed.

In any case, wish me luck!

Last edited:
Yay. I just passed the psychological screening for my gun license with flying colors!
cHdUqukXioPvmMhwWlyG.gif
Apparently I am not a mad villain trying to destroy the world with blood and fire or something. And I did answer every single question with utmost honesty.

Was weird, there was no torture, they did not put me under drugs to question me, no lie detectors, there was no vivisection performed on my frontal lobe, not even waterboarding or getting buried alive. I expected more action for that amount of money. Oh well. 6/10.

@Michael88 congrats on passing your psych evaluation, I hope the next step towards obtaining your firearm does not too long. It's crazy that your buddy almost failed his psych evaluation because he doesn't drink. It's just crazy how subjective that evaluation is. But on the brighter side of things, he still managed to pass his eval.

I enjoy learning about the laws and culture of guns in different countries. Given the global popularity of Glocks, are they as popular in Austria as they are in the US? What firearm(s) do most experienced gun owners recommend for first-time gun owners in Austria?

Happy birthday AK.
70 years ago (June, 18, 1949), the Kalashnikov automatic rifle was adopted by the Soviet army.

P.S. Sometime, I'll get my own gun license, too.
But when I do, I won't be able to own a rifle for the first 5 years, only smooth-bore shotgun(s). However, Lancaster-bored guns are still considered as shotguns by the Russian law, so they can be a good option.
For example, the Molot VPO-209, which is almost an authentic AKM (but without full-auto fire, of course) chambered for .366 TKM (9.6x38 mm).
e7dad97a-bd82-11e8-8adb-000c2982e99a.jpg

Watching this video is what sparked my curiosity about gun laws in other countries that allow gun ownership.

@Rage Racer that Molot VPO-209 :drool:. It is amazing that firearm platform that old is still relevant. Hats off to Mikhail Kalashnikov for invented such an amazing product.

@a6m5 are over-powered airsoft rifles allowed?

Very cool video @Xavier2342 I can understand your interest on the topic. 👍

Just a heads up guys. You know I've been looking into Micro Roni Glock stock & Michael's just getting his. Last time Botach got some in, it was the Gen 3 & I actually missed out, as all Non-NFA models(brace instead of stock) sold out. They got bunch of Gen 4 in, and while the timing couldn't be any worse for me, I couldn't find any cheaper, never seen Gen 3 cheaper either(until now, as part of the sale), so non pun intended, but I pulled the trigger on the OD Green with arm brace(Gen 4).

@a6m5 are over-powered airsoft rifles allowed?
I had to look it up on Japanese Wikipedia, but quick answer is that generally, it is not. However, it seems that it is possible to seek permission from local government commission. I say it seems, because I've heard that it's possible to apply for ownership of hunting firearms in Japan(probably just shotguns), but they make the process impossible & very few actually own them in Japan. Also, wiki page says that thorough background check is performed for high-powered air gun ownership, but it's description sounded more like police investigation & I'm not kidding. :lol:

Well, I just got my Roni stock, first impression is really good. it IS made of plastic, but the tough hard and expensive kind, just like the Glock frame. Points extremely well and I am very happy with its dimensions overall, fits me very well. Can't say much else or recommend it since I first have to get my license before I can stuff a G17 in there. (Its gonna be a G17 because I have very large hands and the G17 has a longer picatinny, which aids with the mounting stability in the Roni stock)

Also I'm not entirely sure about optics, I think I'll go with either a Holosun red dot or a Burris FastFire II reflex sight.

Ah I've always been a huge fan of PDW/SMG style guns, this makes me all giggly. :dopey:

fwgeazX.jpg

I had to look it up on Japanese Wikipedia, but quick answer is that generally, it is not. However, it seems that it is possible to seek permission from local government commission. I say it seems, because I've heard that it's possible to apply for ownership of hunting firearms in Japan(probably just shotguns), but they make the process impossible & very few actually own them in Japan. Also, wiki page says that thorough background check is performed for high-powered air gun ownership, but it's description sounded more like police investigation & I'm not kidding. :lol:

Is it true that you cannot even own Katanas and Shōtō in Japan? :boggled:

Last edited:
@a6m5 you weren't kidding about the price of that Gen 4 Micro Roni. I'm glad to see that they have gone down in price considering years ago they were around $500. I also like the updates they've made with the Gen 4. No need to install a charging handle onto the slide and one device fits all Glock models.

@Michael88 is your Micro Roni a Gen 3 or 4? I'm looking forward to hearing how your setup performs with the longer barrel. As for red dot sights, I've been hearing a lot of good things about Holosun ever since they hit the market. If I'm not mistaking I believe the Primary Arms red dot sights are rebranded Holosun or vice versa. Whatever the case may be, Holosun has an awesome selection of relatively inexpensive but very reliable red dot sights. I don't know much about the Burris FastFire 2 but what I do like about it is that the battery location. Unlike the Vortex Viper, you don't have to completely remove the sight from your weapon to change the battery.

Is it true that you cannot even own Katanas and Shōtō in Japan? :boggled:
I’ve heard that. My late grandpa had authentic samurai swords though. Maybe they were contraband. :dopey:
@a6m5 you weren't kidding about the price of that Gen 4 Micro Roni. I'm glad to see that they have gone down in price considering years ago they were around $500. I also like the updates they've made with the Gen 4. No need to install a charging handle onto the slide and one device fits all Glock models.
Yeah, for $200 shipped I’m onboard. I’m going to sell my blackout upper. I like it, but I’m really into .223/5.56 right now. I’m going to take the EOTech & MBUSx2 from the Blackout upper & transfer them to Micro Roni.

Maybe they'll correct your price next year. I don't trust anything from Botach anymore.

is your Micro Roni a Gen 3 or 4? I'm looking forward to hearing how your setup performs with the longer barrel. As for red dot sights, I've been hearing a lot of good things about Holosun ever since they hit the market. If I'm not mistaking I believe the Primary Arms red dot sights are rebranded Holosun or vice versa. Whatever the case may be, Holosun has an awesome selection of relatively inexpensive but very reliable red dot sights. I don't know much about the Burris FastFire 2 but what I do like about it is that the battery location. Unlike the Vortex Viper, you don't have to completely remove the sight from your weapon to change the battery.[/USER]

My Roni is a Gen3. I looked hard at the G4 but it was not only considerably more expensive than the G3 (like a 100 bucks) it also had LESS material in the mid section ( bigger ejection window for reliable ejection of low power ammo and slide release cutout). I find the G3 to be more stable and less prone to flexing, and it looks better too, but thats just me.

I'm most likely going with the Holosun, especially since Inrange TV recommended it, and I fully trust them. Also many friends have a Holosun and they are super happy with it. Battery life of 5 years isn't bad either. There is even one solar powered Holosun and I am tempted to spend some more cash on that model. :D

I don't know much about the Burris either, but I have read a couple of reviews and they praised it, apparently its a good reflex sight.

I’ve heard that. My late grandpa had authentic samurai swords though. Maybe they were contraband. :dopey:

Those are worth a fortune now. I remember a while ago an auction sold an original Katana for 15000 bucks. :dopey: Some go for 20k+. You don't happen to be the heir do you? :D

Damn, this makes me want to buy a Shōtō now, always loved those. Best human fillet knife ever! There is even tacticool Wakizashis:

vO0LBUy.jpg

Last edited:
We've been having beautiful mornings this week that have been ruined by constant rain and thunderstorms after noon. Decided to take advantage of that.

WR0tItR.jpg

I think I finally have a decent zero on my Renegade. This is a 20-round group at 50 yards:
60ANZSc.jpg

Here's my view pushed out to 100:
oZQ4ffl.jpg

Top left is the 50-yard zero at 100:
vEszla9.jpg

I moved the reticle 1 minute right per my perceived group average vs point of aim per the inch grid target. I followed those up with bulls-eye hits in black on the lower targets. I couldn't really see that I was hitting so I walked out and threw a splatter shot on it for giggles. The left splatters are with the turret dialed back halfway to the original setting, and then I moved it back again the way I had it and hit red bullseye on the right upper and shot a better-averaging group on the right lower.

The rest of the holes are from me trying to zero my ACSS red dot on the new PWS upper. It started off way off at 50 yards:
26Pyb5J.jpg

I have a lot of work to do with that one. Since the range runs half-hour splits I wouldn't have had enough time to go target check and adjust, but at least I know it's way low and to the left. The rest of the session was just me trying to put rounds through paper at 100 yards. Let me tell you something, that PWS upper with the PDW brace is a great combo. I'm not sure how much of it is the longstroke piston vs the brace's buffer and spring, but it was such a smooth shooter. Because it's 11 inches, it have much more of a cracking pop when you fired it, but otherwise it didn't feel like anything. The Renegade is like a huge brake blast and then you feel the buffer travel on your cheek as the action cycles. Everyone thought I was shooting 308 with the Renegade.

Maybe they'll correct your price next year. I don't trust anything from Botach anymore.
Sorry, I forgot all about that. :lol: Invoice still says $199.95, it's already been shipped, but I'm still not seeing the charge on my card? Maybe it was free! :dopey: P.S. Nice range pics. 👍
Those are worth a fortune now. I remember a while ago an auction sold an original Katana for 15000 bucks. :dopey: Some go for 20k+. You don't happen to be the heir do you? :D
There was a armor also, along with bow/arrow set. He actually mentioned one time the sword(s) should go to me, but it's gone man. No idea what happened to any of those items. Vultures. :crazy:
There is even tacticool Wakizashis:

vO0LBUy.jpg
Oh my god, what is this thing. :drool:

Crap.

There was a armor also, along with bow/arrow set. He actually mentioned one time the sword(s) should go to me, but it's gone man.

Maybe he is patiently waiting for you to become a warrior and understand Bushido! Then you may take the sword and armor - if you can defeat him in single combat! *mortal combat theme*

:P

Sorry for making fun of your culture, I just could not resist! I actually really like Japanese history and culture, its damn impressive and intriguing! :dopey:

Last edited:
I planned on doing some shooting by myself tomorrow(Saturday), but my buddy says he can go Sunday, so Sunday it is. 👍
You got the reloading loophole covered. :lol:
if you can defeat him in single combat! *mortal combat theme*
Pfffft.... My 5.56 reaches out so much farther than any swords. :sly:
Sorry for making fun of your culture, I just could not resist! I actually really like Japanese history and culture, its damn impressive and intriguing! :dopey:
So much conflicts & wars makes for interesting history, but man, I'm so happy not living through that garbage. :crazy:

So, I ordered a Holosun red dot, I went with the HS406C, it has the side battery tray, 50k hours battery life plus solar panel. Also its slightly bigger than the standard holosun so it can be mounted using a ring and some people say its more rugged than the small Holo. Flip-up caps included, along with a killflash I think.

PkIgPbS.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back