Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
I just went ahead and fixed the one thing that caused me problems with my Glock. Added a magazine funnel. Always managed to slow down my reload by hitting the sharp edge of the frame instead of getting the magazine straight in. :crazy: No more I say!

wRsRE8s.jpg

Also got me a second spare magazine with a +2 floorplate and a mag holster + holster. I don't have a carry license (And wouldn't carry a large G17 anyway) but its good to have these items and to practice drawing and shooting a little I think. Its just part of becoming proficient with a pistol.

The holster is extremely basic, its just a sturdy near un-flexible piece of plastic with a belt loop and button loop on the top to secure it in place. It covers all the controls.

wyp5gjr.jpg

Also I cannot really understand all the complaints about Glocks. I like the grip angle, its like pointing my finger, so the gun points very easily. The finger grooves match my paw exactly, the sights are good for duty and the trigger is pretty standard, and after the first shot with the tiny reset its actually really good.

So a very good pistol right out of the box, even ergonomically. At least for me. But then again I'm an Austrian so this pistol was specifically made for my kind! :sly:

After holding a Gen 5, I do not have any complaints about the grip angle. The lack of finger grooves make it fit in the hand much better.

Excuse my crude photochop job, but I need opinions:

View attachment 850024

I'm really interested in Daniel Defense uppers, but have hard time choosing between these two handguard styles. Upper is picatinny quad rail & the lower is M-Lok. I was under the impression quad rail's kinda outdated, but I like the aesthetics of it. What are your takes on M-Lok versus Picatinny handguards on AR?

M-Lok. The rail will be lighter. That alone is pretty much what I would make the decision based on. Quad rails are pretty much indestructible, but at the expense of being heavier. I would guess in general in the neighborhood of 1.5 times heavier than an M-Lok setup.

Even though I have not been to the range in ages because well life just seems to hate me, I bought a few more patches:

IMG_20190910_213146.jpg

I already had the bottom three before yesterday. Ordered the two InRange and three Forgotten Weapons ones less than a week ago and they arrived yesterday. Not sure what I am going to put them on, but cool to have.

Edit: I went with the Daniel Defense upper, with M-Lok. From looks to function, every single people I asked recommended M-Lok. I was the only one who preferred the look of the quad rail. :( Add to that, it's almost $100 less, lighter, and when I read that military(special operations command or something) picked M-Lok over Keymod(?), I decided to go with the M-Lok. Really liked both handguards anyway. 👍
After holding a Gen 5, I do not have any complaints about the grip angle. The lack of finger grooves make it fit in the hand much better.

M-Lok. The rail will be lighter. That alone is pretty much what I would make the decision based on. Quad rails are pretty much indestructible, but at the expense of being heavier. I would guess in general in the neighborhood of 1.5 times heavier than an M-Lok setup.

Even though I have not been to the range in ages because well life just seems to hate me, I bought a few more patches:

View attachment 850039

I already had the bottom three before yesterday. Ordered the two InRange and three Forgotten Weapons ones less than a week ago and they arrived yesterday. Not sure what I am going to put them on, but cool to have.
Nice to see support for Military Arms Channel!

Over the weekend, I applied + ordered bunch of random stickers/decals for my ammo can(.50 cal). I generally store ammo in them, but there was one can that kept ending up going with me shooting, so I decided to designated it for plinking duty & apply stickers on five sides(except bottom) to make it standout from other cans. It’ll be the best. :P

On the Daniel Defense upper, I also thought quad rail would be much heavier? - let me look it up again - just 6 ounces & change difference. I think they are both good choices probably. :crazy:

Last edited:
Edit: I went with the Daniel Defense upper, with M-Lok. From looks to function, every single people I asked recommended M-Lok. I was the only one who preferred the look of the quad rail. :( Add to that, it's almost $100 less, lighter, and when I read that military(special operations command or something) picked M-Lok over Keymod(?), I decided to go with the M-Lok. Really liked both handguards anyway. 👍

With their testing, M-Lok proved to be more robust than Keymod. I believe their testing showed quad rail was stronger than M-Lok, but at the expense of added weight. I am already on the M-Lok bandwagon and would only go with a quad rail if I wanted to do a "retro" build.

Nice to see support for Military Arms Channel!

Over the weekend, I applied + ordered bunch of random stickers/decals for my ammo can(.50 cal). I generally store ammo in them, but there was one can that kept ending up going with me shooting, so I decided to designated it for plinking duty & apply stickers on five sides(except bottom) to make it standout from other cans. It’ll be the best. :P

I have had the Military Arms Channel one for some time. I have not been watching his videos quite as closely as I previously did. I have been watching Forgotten Weapons and InRange much more closely. I enjoy both tremendously.

a6m5 I prefer sleekness and weight of M-Lok handguards. With the way the market is has adopted M-Lok, I truly believe it is the better option. The only downside is potentially having to purchase additional Picatinny rail sections for accessories that weren't designed (yet) for M-Lok.

Aside from the P229 what other handguns have you considered purchasing? Any revolvers?

Michael88 that is a sweet setup, looking forward to your review of this gun and the loads you create for it.

Michael88 that is a sweet setup, looking forward to your review of this gun and the loads you create for it.
Thank you!

I just made a couple very standard 168 BTHP loads, with Winchester brass and CCI 200 primers. Also 155 grain A-Max loads, maybe it likes the lighter bullets better, who knows!

Also I just realized the rifle has a lot in common with @a6m5
Scope and rifle is from Japan, some accessories (scope rings, bipod) are US. :P;)

gtp.jpg

Ruger SR22 - I bought this .22 pistol back in 2012, but I never really shot it very much. In process of me trying to learn how to shoot handguns with some accuracy, I activated this pistol as a trainer, really just today. I did okay with it & it didn't have any malfunctions with Federal ammo.
With their testing, M-Lok proved to be more robust than Keymod. I believe their testing showed quad rail was stronger than M-Lok, but at the expense of added weight. I am already on the M-Lok bandwagon and would only go with a quad rail if I wanted to do a "retro" build.
Hard to argue weight reduction + $90 or something savings, when I already liked both so much. I like the classic, tougher aesthetics of the quad rail little bit more, but I'm certain I'll be pretty pleased with the M-Lok. Thanks for voting. 👍
I have had the Military Arms Channel one for some time. I have not been watching his videos quite as closely as I previously did. I have been watching Forgotten Weapons and InRange much more closely. I enjoy both tremendously.
Ever since @Xavier2342 posted that Warrior Poet Society video on AR slings, I've been hooked on that one. So many good gun channels on youtube. I do contribute $1 a month to Military Arms Channel thru Patreon, so I tend to catch most of what they do(they are gun rights activists).
HOWA .308 Winchester 20'' barrel with MDT HS3 stock, put my 3-12x42 Bushnell Elite Long Range Tacticool Hunter and a Harris 6-9'' bipod on it. :sly:
Well done, Michael. Tacticool & such a beautiful rifle(love detach. magazine). Well done! :eek:👍 Let us know how you like Howa. I've heard good things about their rifles in the past, and I hope you shoot real well with it.
a6m5 I prefer sleekness and weight of M-Lok handguards. With the way the market is has adopted M-Lok, I truly believe it is the better option. The only downside is potentially having to purchase additional Picatinny rail sections for accessories that weren't designed (yet) for M-Lok.
Yeah, I ended up going with the M-Lok. Thank you. 👍 I have some M-Lok stuff, including picatinny rail section or two, have used them with my M&P15, so that definitely affected the decision to go with M-Lok(My Thompson Center .22 rifle's M-Lok, also).
Aside from the P229 what other handguns have you considered purchasing? Any revolvers?
I adore revolvers, have shot it handful of times, but I am horrible with them(well, duh). I've trained on handgun shooting since then, so I'm sure I'll do lot better next time, but still not comfortable with them yet.

P229 was a no-go after doing some research(bigger & heavier than G19). I did look at the Rock Island Armory 1911's online again, but I saw reviews noting failure to extract again, and that influenced my decision toward the Daniel Defense upper as well. I'll still look at another handgun down the line, but I am stuck with my Glock 19 & Kimber Custom Target II for now.

Speaking of Custom Target II, it had its first real malfunction today. A failure to feed. :D I've been shooting this gun for months & months without cleaning it, so I wasn't shocked. However, Glock 19 I shot more without cleaning & that thing showed no sign of ever slowing down!
Also I just realized the rifle has a lot in common with @a6m5
Scope and rifle is from Japan, some accessories (scope rings, bipod) are US. :P;)
Made in Japan, but Americanized & big on the Second Amendment rights. :lol:👍

Today I shot my Glock 17 the second time ever (without the Roni carbine stock that is), what can I say, I love this pistol . It fits me perfectly, I don't even need to tune anything.

14 shots at 25 meters

GWFooYN.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still...... working on it(it's actually from last month).

#glock 19 @ 25 yards gtp.jpg

My problem is I have hard time fully committing to "target" shooting. :dopey: My target practice has lot of defensive shooting & plinking quality to it. Defensive/tactical session, plinking & target shooting are something I need to really separate. If everything go well, my new AR upper should be in next week, and weather permitting, I'll go again next weekend!

My problem is I have hard time fully committing to "target" shooting. :dopey: My target practice has lot of defensive shooting & plinking quality to it.
Defense requires hitting unless you do cover fire with a belt fed. :P

If I had the opportunity to do plinking I'd weave target shooting into my plinking routine. Like setting up 5 coke cans at 10 yds and blasting them as fast as I can. Then set them up again at 15yds and so on. Or make an angled row of soda cans with the closest at 5 yds and the furthest at 20, you start with the closest, then go to the farthest, go back again at the 2nd closest, then the 2nd farthest and so on, that way you learn target transition, shooting at various distances and all that while plinking! :dopey:

Defense requires hitting unless you do cover fire with a belt fed. :P
I have scenario in mind where I'm rushing a shot. Again, I need to separate stuff like this from target shooting where I need to focus on accuracy. Earlier this year, I couldn't even hit the entire cardboard box at 25 yards(only with my Glock for some unknown reason), so I know I'm doing better, but won't know exactly how much until I do some proper target shooting. :crazy:
If I had the opportunity to do plinking I'd weave target shooting into my plinking routine. Like setting up 5 coke cans at 10 yds and blasting them as fast as I can. Then set them up again at 15yds and so on. Or make an angled row of soda cans with the closest at 5 yds and the furthest at 20, you start with the closest, then go to the farthest, go back again at the 2nd closest, then the 2nd farthest and so on, that way you learn target transition, shooting at various distances and all that while plinking! :dopey:
Some neat ideas there. 👍 Cans, bottles, or anything not designed for target shooting's prohibited for plinking on public land, but I have couple of self-healing targets I could use for it!

Some neat ideas there. 👍 Cans, bottles, or anything not designed for target shooting's prohibited for plinking on public land, but I have couple of self-healing targets I could use for it!

Oh, I had no idea. Even if said cans cans stay in one piece and can be collected and put into the trash later? I get it that its a no-go to shoot glass bottles or stuff like that.... :scared:

I just finalized my precision rifle, swapped the grip with a DPMS sniper grip -sooo much better-, put a sling on it and no scope is complete without protection flip caps. Or whatever they're called. :embarrassed:

What i really like about this rifle is that, despite it being a long range precision rifle, its only 37.5 inches long and balances so well its easy to shoot it off hand (not that its meant to be shot that way). Its quite maneuverable, easy to carry and to shoot off-hand.

ula2fxd.jpg

rkasDk0.jpg

Are those the Butler Creek caps? Looking good. 👍

I got my Daniel Defense upper earlier this week, so I plan on going shooting tomorrow..... *checks weather* Cloudy, high 68. Perfect. I just have the EOTech red dot & MBUS on there for now. :embarrassed:
Oh, I had no idea. Even if said cans cans stay in one piece and can be collected and put into the trash later? I get it that its a no-go to shoot glass bottles or stuff like that.... :scared:
I doubt they actually write you up for that, not that I’ll risk it. When they write these rules, I’m sure they have idiots, kids & drunks in mind you know? :crazy:

I want a mulligan! It was very foggy where I shot today. As I posted earlier this week, I was going to attempt proper "target" shooting to see where I'm at on accuracy with the Glock 19, and it started out okay. First 10 yards, then 20. At 20 yards, I was able to keep most of it on the paper. As soon as I started at 25 yards, fog moved back in, with heavy mist. :lol: I was able to get 10 shots in, but six on the paper, three almost touching the paper & one way outside. It's still all over the place, but I hope to do better next time when I'm not rushed. :dopey:

I also got my Daniel Defense Upper set up. I just put the EOTech 512 & MBUS on there for now. Sweet shooter.

#gtp.JPG

If anybody want to see pics, I got them on my blog. I had my sling detached, but with QD on the Magpul stock & on DD handguard, I can switch between this & M&P Upper with ease. 👍

I want a mulligan! It was very foggy where I shot today. As I posted earlier this week, I was going to attempt proper "target" shooting to see where I'm at on accuracy with the Glock 19, and it started out okay. First 10 yards, then 20. At 20 yards, I was able to keep most of it on the paper. As soon as I started at 25 yards, fog moved back in, with heavy mist. :lol: I was able to get 10 shots in, but six on the paper, three almost touching the paper & one way outside. It's still all over the place, but I hope to do better next time when I'm not rushed.
Good to hear you are improving! 👍 You mentioning the fog reminds me of my range sessions when I shoot next to dudes with muzzle loaders. Thats always a lot of fun, suddenly fog banks of gun smoke move across my target, which is especially distracting when shooting precision rifle at 100yds. Feels like shooting in a raging battle or something, with the fog of war! :scared: :lol:

Oh, and I got round loading some 45-70s today. I love the new 500 grain roundnose bullet I ordered over the internet. Those are heavier and faster than shotgun slugs! (45 acp for comparison)

Also this time I put a wad between the charge and the bullet, to protect the bullets base. I wonder if its gonna make a difference.

i0KoGiD.jpg

Good to hear you are improving! 👍 You mentioning the fog reminds me of my range sessions when I shoot next to dudes with muzzle loaders. Thats always a lot of fun, suddenly fog banks of gun smoke move across my target, which is especially distracting when shooting precision rifle at 100yds. Feels like shooting in a raging battle or something, with the fog of war! :scared: :lol:
Real life training. As I struggled to sight in on the bullseye thru the fog, that crossed my mind also. :lol:👍

It’s really hard shooting 25 yards. I’m improving at 20 yards, but needs much more work at 25.
500 grain roundnose bullet
:nervous:

Anyone got experience with 5.11 gear? I'm looking at this jacket for fall escapades and layering for winter.

78007_192_01.jpg
All my pants & jeans are 5.11, but not much experience or luck with their tops. One windbreaker I have seems to be okay. Their button up shirts don’t fit me at all, feels bulky + they are way too rigid for my liking. Craftsmanship seems to be okay. Their pants have been bulletproof & fit real well for me.

20190927_132953.jpg

It's been a few weeks since I've been to the range and let's just say that I took advantage of my range membership. Initially I planned on renting the CZ P10C but also ended up renting a Glock G45 and Sarsilmaz SAR 9.

I have no prior experience with the SAR 9 nor do I know much about it. From an ergonomics perspective the gun felt like a HK VP9/Walther PPQ hybrid. I don't really know how to describe the trigger pull of this gun. It took more time for me to get adjusted to when compared to the triggers of the other firearms I rented. Can't say that I liked the trigger but it was alright I guess. Is this a gun I'd like to rent again or potentially purchase in the future? No...

The Glock G45 and CZ P10C are the two guns I was most excited to shoot. In fact I spent more time most of my time shooting these two because they were genuinely fun to shoot. In their current configurations (as shown in the pic above) I'm going to give a very slight advantage to the CZ. I loved the grip, trigger and sights. I usually dislike grips that do not fully cover the bottom of the magazine once inserted. But there was absolutely no magazine movement once it was fully inserted.

I've been patiently waiting to shoot the Glock G45 since March of this year. The one I rented was not the MOS version, but still a fun gun to shoot. For the most part I have zero complaints about this gun. Glock sights are Glock sights, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the firearm. If I were currently in the market for a striker-fired weapon to carry concealed the G45 MOS would be my number 1 choice. I think Glock did a fantastic job with this gun and I honestly feel like I'm becoming a Glock fanboy...lol

Anyone got experience with 5.11 gear? I'm looking at this jacket for fall escapades and layering for winter.

78007_192_01.jpg

I have a discontinued 5.11 range vest and it's completely awesome. But it's HEAVY. If I were to load out all of the awesome pockets, I could imagine it easily being an 80 pound vest.

All my pants & jeans are 5.11, but not much experience or luck with their tops. One windbreaker I have seems to be okay. Their button up shirts don’t fit me at all, feels bulky + they are way too rigid for my liking. Craftsmanship seems to be okay. Their pants have been bulletproof & fit real well for me.

I have a discontinued 5.11 range vest and it's completely awesome. But it's HEAVY. If I were to load out all of the awesome pockets, I could imagine it easily being an 80 pound vest.
Notes taken. Hopefully the coat isn’t as heavy as the vest :P

View attachment 854668

It's been a few weeks since I've been to the range and let's just say that I took advantage of my range membership. Initially I planned on renting the CZ P10C but also ended up renting a Glock G45 and Sarsilmaz SAR 9.

I have no prior experience with the SAR 9 nor do I know much about it. From an ergonomics perspective the gun felt like a HK VP9/Walther PPQ hybrid. I don't really know how to describe the trigger pull of this gun. It took more time for me to get adjusted to when compared to the triggers of the other firearms I rented. Can't say that I liked the trigger but it was alright I guess. Is this a gun I'd like to rent again or potentially purchase in the future? No...

The Glock G45 and CZ P10C are the two guns I was most excited to shoot. In fact I spent more time most of my time shooting these two because they were genuinely fun to shoot. In their current configurations (as shown in the pic above) I'm going to give a very slight advantage to the CZ. I loved the grip, trigger and sights. I usually dislike grips that do not fully cover the bottom of the magazine once inserted. But there was absolutely no magazine movement once it was fully inserted.

I've been patiently waiting to shoot the Glock G45 since March of this year. The one I rented was not the MOS version, but still a fun gun to shoot. For the most part I have zero complaints about this gun. Glock sights are Glock sights, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the firearm. If I were currently in the market for a striker-fired weapon to carry concealed the G45 MOS would be my number 1 choice. I think Glock did a fantastic job with this gun and I honestly feel like I'm becoming a Glock fanboy...lol
More target practice I take, more I dislike the Glock sights, more I consider MOS Glocks like you & Brett.

For now, with the left over credit on the gift card I used to buy Daniel Defense upper, I bought Crimson Trace laser. I put it on my Glock 19 last night & it's pretty bad ass. I can't wait to try it out. The gun I want the most right now is Glock 19 with red dot. I have zero experience with red dot on handguns, but my coworker just bought a FN 45ACP with Vortex red dot, so I'll get to shoot that in the near future.
Lets play a game! Here is a picture of all the different chamberings of the guns I currently own - now guess the cartridges! :D
Here goes nothing: 12-Gauge, .45-70 Gov(cheated), .270 Win(cheated), .30-06, .308, 10mm?, 45ACP & 9mm.

More target practice I take, more I dislike the Glock sights, more I consider MOS Glocks like you & Brett.

For now, with the left over credit on the gift card I used to buy Daniel Defense upper, I bought Crimson Trace laser. I put it on my Glock 19 last night & it's pretty bad ass. I can't wait to try it out. The gun I want the most right now is Glock 19 with red dot. I have zero experience with red dot on handguns, but my coworker just bought a FN 45ACP with Vortex red dot, so I'll get to shoot that in the near future.

The beauty about Glocks is the fact they're the Legos of the handgun world. Sure the 1911 has been around for ages, but the aftermarket support for Glock is second to none. Did you get the Laserguard or Lasergrip for your G19?

Fortunately for you, the slide on your Glock can be milled for whatever optic you plan in using. The FN your buddy just purchased, is it the FNX-45 Tactical? If so, that's a bada** gun and I believe it is the highest capacity .45ACP in the market.

The beauty about Glocks is the fact they're the Legos of the handgun world. Sure the 1911 has been around for ages, but the aftermarket support for Glock is second to none. Did you get the Laserguard or Lasergrip for your G19?
It says Rail Master(green laser).
Fortunately for you, the slide on your Glock can be milled for whatever optic you plan in using. The FN your buddy just purchased, is it the FNX-45 Tactical? If so, that's a bada** gun and I believe it is the highest capacity .45ACP in the market.
I think that's the one. He says it also has threaded barrel & set him back $1200-ish. I didn't even know FN pricing went that high on handguns. :crazy:

It says Rail Master(green laser).

I think that's the one. He says it also has threaded barrel & set him back $1200-ish. I didn't even know FN pricing went that high on handguns. :crazy:

Nice! You should try using you Rail Master on your new upper assembly :D. Yeah the FNX-45 Tactical is still an expensive gun till this day. I believe it was one of the first optics ready handguns on the market when it was released several years ago. I have only shot the regular FNX-45 but ironically the indoor range I go to is now renting a FNX-45 equipped with a red dot sight and suppressor. I plan on renting it the next time I'm there.

Nice! You should try using you Rail Master on your new upper assembly :D
I've thought about it. Maybe even the shotgun. :D
Yeah the FNX-45 Tactical is still an expensive gun till this day. I believe it was one of the first optics ready handguns on the market when it was released several years ago. I have only shot the regular FNX-45 but ironically the indoor range I go to is now renting a FNX-45 equipped with a red dot sight and suppressor. I plan on renting it the next time I'm there.
I had no idea it's been out that long. I've probably read about it then & just forgot. :crazy: I've never shot a FN, or red dotted handgun, so this'll be interesting for me. 👍

P.S. Few weeks ago, I did look into possibility of adding an adapter to my USP for red dot? Not many people have done this, so I don't know how reliable it'll be. I even saw ridiculous looking HK factory red dot mounting bracket. :crazy:

It looked sort of like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's my wild guess from left to right.
  1. 12 gauge
  2. 45-70 LC?
  3. ?
  4. 30-06?
  5. .308 or 7.62x51 Nato
  6. ?
  7. 45 ACP
  8. 9mm

But ''?'' is no cartridge I ever heard of! :P Everything correct but 30-06!

Here goes nothing: 12-Gauge, .45-70 Gov(cheated), .270 Win(cheated), .30-06, .308, 10mm?, 45ACP & 9mm.
12 Gauge, 45-70 , 308, 45 and 9mm correct!

Ok, lets clear it up you nubs!
#3 is the 8x57mm Mauser (Notice the slightly fatter bullet compared to the other two rifle bullets), #4 is the Swiss 7.5x55 and #6 is the legendary 44-40 Winchester (.44WCF).

@Michael88 I'm not sure what I was thinking...lol... I don't know much about old school calibera but now I know that 45-70 and 45LC aren't the same.

@a6m5 ironically I actually have one of those scope/optics mounts. I haven't messed around with it in months though...lol...

Back