Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
That's some great advice @Xavier2342 Thanks. 👍

@Rallywagon I'm sorry to bring negative feedback on Taurus, and I have zero experience with it, but two out of three people I know who's owned Taurus told me that they'd never buy another Taurus. One of them was a revolver & I don't know the technical term, but its cylinder would not line up correctly. I can't remember what the second guys problem with his gun was, and third guy just never fired his while we were in touch. Just providing feedback from my neck of the woods, I'm sure there are countless good Taurus guns out there, too.

A few nights ago, my buddies and I decided to compete in a USPSA Outlaw practice match. My buddy Don competed in the PCC division with a JP Enterprises GMR-15 (I believe) chambered in 9mm. My buddy Dan competed in the Limited division with a Glock 17 (Gen 5 I believe). I chose to compete in the Production division with my XD-M 3.8" 9mm. I feel like I should have competed in the Limited division for the additional mag capacity. But I chose to stay in the Production because all of my mags were already loaded with 10 instead of their 19 round capacity.

Guys I'm telling you, you've got to get out there and give this a try. Every single one of us had a blast (no pun intended). We shot 5 stages that required anywhere between 8 to 20 hits on paper or steel targets. Every one of us did well and nobody got DQ'D. We'll definitely be back for another match, just gotta figure out which match works best with our work schedules.

But guys I strongly encourage you to find a match near you (Practiscore.com) and give this a try. There were a few older gentlemen (late 60s - early 70s) out there competing with us. They may have not been able to move like lightening, but every single one of their shots were dead on target.

Just started with a new project gun that is chambered in 7x57 Mauser. That caliber was the predecessor of the 8mm Mauser that was later the standard issue caliber for the German Army with their K98's and the Mg42 etc. Its basically a 8mm Mauser that is necked down to 7mm (.280 cal). Its about the same speed as the 8mm Mauser but the projectile is a little lighter. It has good sectional density though, very looooong bullets.

I just loaded a couple of test rounds, these are 173 grain soft points. The bullets are so long that despite them sticking out that much their base sists where the neck of the cartridge starts. Its a very pretty round.

zRmJGqx.jpg

Crazy fact: the round is known for very good penetration, that is why it was very successfully used against Elephant. Way too small for them if they attack you but if you snipe them in the head with it it would pass through the entire thick skull of the animal, and kill the brain in the process.

Not that I would ever plan on exploiting the Elephant killing capabilities, I love those smart gentle giants.
However, our mosquitoes grow larger every summer and I want to be prepared.... :scared:

Last edited:
@Michael88 I wish you lived closer so that I could give you some cash to load some top notch ammo for me. As always thank you for the history lesson and fun fact about that particular caliber.

Earlier this week I received the G-Code mag pouches I ordered sometime last week through Opticsplanet. For mounting option I choose the belt loop but received R2 Operator belt mounts instead. No biggie, this actually an upgrade according to the manufacture's website. This error actually works in my favor because this mounting option will work with my competition belt and my EDC belt (5.11 Trainer). What's also nice the R2 mounts is that they'll fit up to a 1.75" belt like the 5.11 Operator Belt.

The pouch itself is amazing. I got a hold a variety of mags to put the manufacture's claims to the test and needless to say, I am very pleased. All of the different mags testes fit snuggly into the mag pouch. From the little bit of testing I've done so far, you can do backflip while wearing these mag pouches and your mags won't budge an inch. I wish I would have purchased these pouches years ago instead of the Bladetech AR mag pouches I currently have. But at the end of the day, I'm just grateful for having a set of rifle mag pouches that will work for just about any rifle I can realistically see myself purchasing in the foreseeable future.

20200131_154631.jpg

Front of mag pouch

20200131_154810.jpg

Rear of mag pouch and R2 Belt Mounts

20200131_160643.jpg

Magpul AICS 7.62x51 10-round mag

20200131_160552.jpg

Tapco AK47 30-round mag

20200131_160703.jpg

Check Mate M1A 20-round mag

20200131_160623.jpg

HK91/PTR91 20-round mag

20200131_160744.jpg

Magpul AR15 40-round mag

Oh and I almost forgot, these mag pouches come with a Life-Time Warranty.

G-Code Soft Shell Scorpion Rifle Mag Carrier
https://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/soft-shell-scorpion-rifle-mag-carrier/

5.11 Operator Belt
https://www.511tactical.com/operator-belt-1-34-wide.html

I’ve been craving a gun for so long. Just the potential to shoot. There one in the father-in-law’s pack just a few meters away but he never lets it loose. There are plenty of ranges nearby but I really would like to have my own hand gun. I’ve never shot a handgun before, only rifles and shotguns.

I think I might be too impulsive to own a gun, but the thought of it makes me wonder.

I’ve been craving a gun for so long. Just the potential to shoot. There one in the father-in-law’s pack just a few meters away but he never lets it loose. There are plenty of ranges nearby but I really would like to have my own hand gun. I’ve never shot a handgun before, only rifles and shotguns.

I think I might be too impulsive to own a gun, but the thought of it makes me wonder.
Because men like guns, simple as that. Everyone who denies that is either a woman or in denial. :P

Do any of the gun ranges near have guns on hand for you to rent? If so I say go to one of those ranges and rent a handgun or two that you might be interested in. Hopefully the range officials there are nice and willing to teach you how to properly handle and shoot a handgun.

Great write up on the mag pouches @Xavier2342 & ditto on @Michael88 post about his new load. Thank you guys. 👍

With firearms comes very serious responsibility. So many ill advised use, or handling of firearms are seen in the U.S. Having said that, pretty much my entire life I've been in love with handguns. They are beautiful, engineering & mechanics are fascinating, and no pun intended, they are blast to shoot. Lastly, I never thought I needed a gun growing up in Japan, but here in the U.S., firearms are protection everyone in the U.S. depend on. Even those who are anti-gun. If their police weren't armed, they are dead meat.

P.S. I'm finally applying for U.S. Citizenship, guys. I'm not doing it so I can finally conceal carry a gun, but that's a added bonus. Right @David ? :P

Great write up on the mag pouches @Xavier2342 & ditto on @Michael88 post about his new load. Thank you guys. 👍

With firearms comes very serious responsibility. So many ill advised use, or handling of firearms are seen in the U.S. Having said that, pretty much my entire life I've been in love with handguns. They are beautiful, engineering & mechanics are fascinating, and no pun intended, they are blast to shoot. Lastly, I never thought I needed a gun growing up in Japan, but here in the U.S., firearms are protection everyone in the U.S. depend on. Even those who are anti-gun. If their police weren't armed, they are dead meat.

P.S. I'm finally applying for U.S. Citizenship, guys. I'm not doing it so I can finally conceal carry a gun, but that's a added bonus. Right @David ? :P

xWBxhW4Xjjw5nmjXL8.gif

Thank you guys. :D As it stands, it's scheduled to go thru this November according to the website. One of the guys at work warned me about how the process takes many months. Another bonus on citizenship would be the background check. Legal resident background checks can take around 30 minutes, or upto hours. I wouldn't miss that.
As a rule I generally don't go around modifying pistols
That's a lot of stuff you done(and the grip!)...... j/k I hope to be on the red dot bandwagon before too long. Have you shot a handgun with one on it?

I haven't shot since November. It's been non-stop rain/snow where I normally shoot. I can hit the range out of town, but it's like $40 in gas & range fees(or $20 for gas where I normally go, shoot freely for free), and I haven't felt like going. Your Colt looks so good by the way. Nice scope & stock. P226 looks absolutely perfect. 👍

I haven't shot since November. It's been non-stop rain/snow where I normally shoot. I can hit the range out of town, but it's like $40 in gas & range fees(or $20 for gas where I normally go, shoot freely for free), and I haven't felt like going. Your Colt looks so good by the way. Nice scope & stock. P226 looks absolutely perfect. 👍

I share your pain! The local range is closed down for the winter till end of February, my trigger finger is itching already.

Also congratulations for becoming a US citizen! :D:tup:

View attachment 887150

I almost never take the AR-15 out these days because it's generally more fun (and cheaper) to shoot the MPX on the pistol range, but I decided the Colt needed a good cleaning/re-lubing after sitting in the safe for years anyway so I finally took it out a couple of weeks ago. Cranked the Leupold over to 4x power and it was perfect for the targets at 200yds after a slight tweak to the elevation.

I really like the plain unmodified AR's. Just a dot and the rest stock, looks so clean. 👍

Speaking of clean AR's, I really hope the Brownells original AR will be available in Europe too, as an upper. I loooove the original Vietnam-era M16's.

XQ9qbj7.jpg

Also congratulations for becoming a US citizen! :D:tup:
Wish me luck. :D
I really like the plain unmodified AR's. Just a dot and the rest stock, looks so clean. 👍

Speaking of clean AR's, I really hope the Brownells original AR will be available in Europe too, as an upper. I loooove the original Vietnam-era M16's.

XQ9qbj7.jpg
My childhood crush right there. One time, classmate snuck out his older brother's Cold War era M-16 airsoft out to show us. It was like seeing the legendary Excalibur. :drool::lol:

I was browsing Amazon and to my surprise, for the first time ever, it made a useful suggestion! It suggested a chest rigg for AK/M4 mags, and I liked it so much much I pressed the order button. I mean come on, 22 bucks shipping included? If it turns out to be trash, (which I doubt), its not a big waste.
I'm not much of a prepper, but I think if I own a bunch of mags I should also have the option to carry them on my body somehow. Simple as that.

BPhMiZi.jpg

Even more now with their new lowers that are built to easily take a folding stock.

@David nice collection, do you plan on shooting the M17 much? Although I don't necessarily have an interest in purchasing any of the two guns. I'd still be interested in gets your thoughts and opinions on the P226 vs M17.

@a6m5 considering what the weather conditions have been like for you, I don't blame you for not wanting to go outside to shoot...lol...

It's been awhile since I've thought about purchasing another AR, simply because they are a dime a dozen out here. You guys have taught me something new and I'm now intrigued.

A few months ago I accidentally dropped the sunshade for my Vortex Viper PST and bent the threads. I finally decided to give Vortex a call and they're sending me a new sunshade and Vortex t-shirt free of charge. The call lasted 4 mins 57 sec including the time I spent on hold while waiting for the next available rep. Hats off to Vortex for the awesome customer service and warranty policy.

Brownell's is doing an amazing job with their retro line. I want a BRN-605 and a BRN-180. The WWSD 2020 is looking to be great option also.

I've got pre-order down on a WWSD2020. Looks perfect.

Also trying to find out how I can get a Laugo Alien. I know it's stupid expensive, but I'm not sure whether they'll be imported again.

Also, really interested in a POF Rogue but not sure I want to start in with 308 right now. Same thing goes for the new Zastava rifles and arsenal's new AK20 platform. Not sure where I would put all the ammo.

I want to pre-order a WWSD2020, but the price is steep. The Laugo Alien is very interesting, but only after ignoring the ridiculous initial pricing.

Last edited:
Had some free time (nah, not really) so I decided to do the stock of my AK47. I never liked its lacquer finish, despite its nice color. Oiled wood is the only way.

Removed the laquer layer with tons of sandpaper and steel wool - turns out its beech wood.

FZGaOhh.jpg

I mixed boiled linseed oil with very black stain (very bright woods need the darkest stain you can get), heated the bleak oily mixture and put it onto the stock with a sponge and a decommissioned sock. The wood pulls that hot colored oil deep into its bowels where the oil crystallizes and keeps the stain in place.

I think it turned out nicely, its still very bright because beech is notoriously hard to stain, but I think it looks good. I like the high contrast of deep blue steel and lightly colored wood. And it is going to look better after some time, wood darkens from UV radiation and I will oil it half a dozen more times in the next couple weeks.

X7ybDwJ.jpg

rwWhL5f.jpg

@Michael88 Beautiful job on the finishing work as always.
Thank you! :dopey: Had it been walnut I could have done so much more, but I think it turned out ok with the beech stock as well.

Got the call that the MCX came in yesterday so I got over to the shop first thing today. This thing is so sweet. More pictures to come once I decide on optics and some other accoutrements .

Man that thing looks SHWEEET! I love piston AR's!

Deciding on optics and accessories is always my favorite thing to do after getting a nice firearm. Enjoy! :D

Ditto on the AK furnitures. Digging the color. Really nice @Michael88 👍
I've been shooting with mini reflex sights on handguns for a few years now. I know I haven't been around much but I definitely posted in the thread when I got my first 320 X-Five and put a Sig Romeo1 on it. I have 3 pistols with them now and really enjoy them. Really helps you keep both eyes open.
I'm sure you did, I just can't remember them all. My next gun, or upgrade has to be a red dot for one of my handguns, or perhaps red dot/handgun combos lot of manufacturers are doing now. One of my coworkers picked up I think CZ tactical pistol with a red dot? I'll get to shoot that, when we finally go shooting again & I'm sure I'll love it.
Got the call that the MCX came in yesterday so I got over to the shop first thing today. This thing is so sweet. More pictures to come once I decide on optics and some other accoutrements .
Holy cow, it is BEAUTIFUL in tan. :drool: I wasn't sure what this rifle was when you first mentioned it. It's like piston AR-15 basically? Telescopic & folding stock?

Latest Posts

Back