Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,847 comments
Today I visited a private shooting range, took my scoped 22 precision rifle with me. It was very hot outside at the 50 meter range -I swear- the temperatures reached 40 celsius /100F with very high humidity. I was shooting from prone from the bipod with no rear support and tested new ammo.

I had to quit after about 40 minutes, I felt dizzy and got a headache, my shirt was so wet it looked like I fell in a swimming pool and the sweat was constantly running into my eyes irritating them. :crazy:

Despite the suboptimal conditions it was still a successful trip, I found new cheap ammo showing promise. (middle target) The other brands weren't as consistent.

(The shots are high because the scope is sighted in to compensate the drop out to 100, I didn't adjust the scope for 50 because I was only testing ammo) And yes, I drew the target myself.

22lr_zpsbr9nsnzu.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw the new Terminator last weekend so all I can think is that's the beginning of Skynet.
Get more shotgun shells! :lol:
Today I visited a private shooting range, took my scoped 22 precision rifle with me. It was very hot outside at the 50 meter range -I swear- the temperatures reached 40 celsius /100F with very high humidity. I was shooting from prone from the bipod with no rear support and tested new ammo.

I had to quit after about 40 minutes, I felt dizzy and got a headache, my shirt was so wet it looked like I fell in a swimming pool and the sweat was constantly running into my eyes irritating them. :crazy:

Despite the suboptimal conditions it was still a successful trip, I found new cheap ammo showing promise. (middle target) The other brands weren't as consistent.

(The shots are high because the scope is sighted in to compensate the drop out to 100, I didn't adjust the scope for 50 because I was only testing ammo) And yes, I drew the target myself.

22lr_zpsbr9nsnzu.jpg
Did you get dehydrated Michael? Grouping looks good though. I really should take my .22LR to the range next time. Haven't shot that in forever, and I haven't played with my shotgun in couple of years or more. :crazy:

Did you get dehydrated Michael? Grouping looks good though.
Yeah but I'm used to riding my racing bicycle hard in 35-40 Celsius weather in summer, so I guess this time I have only cooked a handful of brain cells. There is still plenty more of them. :lol:

Grouping is ok-ish, I could have done way better with a good rear rest and comfortable temperatures.

I really should take my .22LR to the range next time. Haven't shot that in forever, and I haven't played with my shotgun in couple of years or more. :crazy:
Make that shotgun bark again, a neglected firearm is a sad firearm. .....and you don't want to have sad and angry firearms in your house, trust me. :scared:

Grouping is ok-ish, I could have done way better with a good rear rest and comfortable temperatures.
I don't doubt that! 👍 Just so you guys know, if I post anything close to that, it is most likely photoshopped. :lol:
Make that shotgun bark again, a neglected firearm is a sad firearm. .....and you don't want to have sad and angry firearms in your house, trust me. :scared:
I'll keep that in mind. :lol:👍 *It is clean & oiled.

Just made ammo for my 16'' K98 which I use for home defense. Speer 170 grain exposed tip soft points, about 2750 fps. Have them on stripper clips for fast reloading. Should drop about anything with one solid hit.

I just hope I'll never have to use them as one single shot would very likely blow out my eardrums forever, according to my calculator that full size round out of the short 16'' barrel would create 12500 PSI raw air pressure at the muzzle, thats way more than what the short infamous flame throwing mosin nagant m44 does.

857_zpsyqpibual.jpg

Last edited:
Well..... If I ever get caught breaking into Michael's house, I'll at least know that it'll be very quick.

:lol:

My H&K USP Update: I got email from the ammunition maker today, and they have shipped the gun FedEx overnight. I'm going to try to have the background check ran tomorrow, but because my Non-U.S. Citizen check takes little while longer, I'll be able to pick it up probably on Wednesday.

I've been paying the FFL fee, and I was hoping to have them cut me a check for that, but they asked if it was okay to reimburse me in ammo, and since they've been total pro about the whole thing, I told the gentleman there that's fine. I have so much .45 shells already. :lol:

Well if you already have so much, then you can send some my way. It will just push me to go ahead and buy something chambered in .45 ACP. :D :lol:

Well if you already have so much, then you can send some my way. It will just push me to go ahead and buy something chambered in .45 ACP. :D :lol:
You have some .22LR in stock, don't you Brett?

:P

You have some .22LR in stock, don't you Brett?

:P

I have some. I still have not really seen much on shelves any where, though I have not really been actively looking either. I have not shot any in a while and am really getting the itch to go shooting.

I have some. I still have not really seen much on shelves any where, though I have not really been actively looking either. I have not shot any in a while and am really getting the itch to go shooting.
Approaching the three year mark now. It's effing nuts. :crazy:

When I get my new USP, I plan on hitting the range. One of the guys at work, he's planning on buying a XD or something & I think it's his first gun?(going by types of questions he was asking me) Couple of us were talking about inviting him to come along, too. 👍

I just hope I'll never have to use them as one single shot would very likely blow out my eardrums forever, according to my calculator that full size round out of the short 16'' barrel would create 12500 PSI raw air pressure at the muzzle, thats way more than what the short infamous flame throwing mosin nagant m44 does.

857_zpsyqpibual.jpg
This is one thing I love to hate in movies. Protagonist or antagonist finishes off a few goons and continue taking at normal levels after firing multiple shots.

I think we were all going ":ill:MG" every time shots fired inside the prison in Walking Dead. :lol:
Yeah really, you see people fire their handguns and rifles in cars no problems all the time. Once at the indoor shooting range a guy fired his 38 snubby prematurely when everyone was not wearing any hearing protection. I could not hear anything for the next half hour and it took days till the ringing in my ears was gone. It felt like having water in my ear channels.

And that was merely a weak 38 special from a pocket revolver, now imagine firing multiple shots from a high powered rifle with three times the pressure in an enclosed space. :scared:

Last edited:
Approaching the three year mark now. It's effing nuts. :crazy:

When I get my new USP, I plan on hitting the range. One of the guys at work, he's planning on buying a XD or something & I think it's his first gun?(going by types of questions he was asking me) Couple of us were talking about inviting him to come along, too. 👍

If the guy want to get into firearms, then definitely invite him along and show him the proper safety techniques.

This is one thing I love to hate in movies. Protagonist or antagonist finishes off a few goons and continue taking at normal levels after firing multiple shots.

Yeah really, you see people fire their handguns and rifles in cars no problems all the time. Once at the indoor shooting range a guy fired his 38 snubby prematurely when everyone was not wearing any hearing protection. I could not hear anything for the next half hour and it took days till the ringing in my ears was gone. It felt like having water in my ear channels.

And that was merely a weak 38 special from a pocket revolver, now imagine firing multiple shots from a high powered rifle with three times the pressure in an enclosed space. :scared:

I'm naming this gun "Jesus"(pronounced like Mexican name). It's the resurrection!

gtplanet.jpg

From the accident to receiving the replacement USP today, the ordeal is finally coming to a close. I'm now only waiting to receive the "compensation" ammo to be delivered for the couple of boxes I returned to the Manufacturer X, + make up ammo for the FFL fees I paid out of pocket.

Thanks again very much guys for all the support & advice. I'm glad this is now behind me, and appreciated all the help I received along the way from you guys right here on GTPlanet, folks at Beaver Buster, Tigard Pawn4More, Josh from youtube vid & Troy from Ammo Manufacturer X. I chose not to disclose the ammunition company, because I honestly believe that: a) This could have happened with any ammo, from privately reloaded ammo(but not Michael's lol) to the store bought stuff from the largest ammo manufacturers. b) Troy, the rep from there was total pro & he did right by me.

No one really got hurt, so all good. I can never shoot again without gloves(at least not for recreation), I would wear full-face mask to shoot if it was socially acceptable, but it is what it is. Thanks again, everybody. 👍
now imagine
Please no..... :(
If the guy want to get into firearms, then definitely invite him along and show him the proper safety techniques.
No behind the back. Not until he's ready.

I have had a grand total of one failure to eject out of my TiSAS 1911 in 450 rounds. I took the poor thing apart for cleaning and instantly knew why - it was dirtier than Sebastien Loeb's car after Pike's peak. I'm still impressed with the thing. One screwup, and it was just a casing caught in the slide due to incredible dirty after 140 rounds. Maybe Perfectas aren't the way to go.

That's not bad at all. I'm impressed. I had that happen once or twice with my Glock 17, but as long as they didn't really jam, or fail to fire, I was happy. My Kimber had bit of issues at the start(bought used), but after new recoil spring & magazines, it has performed flawlessly. My USP was perfect until it blew up. Speaking of USPs blowing up, I think we were right about the ammo, @Michael88 :

BEFORE AND AFTER DAMAGED NEW BARRELL.jpg

As I think @Eric. pointed out, that gap/opening in the battery was normal. My new USP on the left, damaged one with cracked brass peeking out of the battery is on the right.

Maybe not a definitive proof, but this side-by-side indicate to me that the firearm was operating normally. It just couldn't handle the excessive pressure, which expanded the chamber/battery stuck in the slide & blew the lower to bits.

I was cleaning & lubing the new one when I remembered that the gunsmiths who were trying to help me couldn't come to the verdict on the cause, because we didn't have a good USP to compare the damaged one to.
Good call! 👍 Behind the back is an advanced shooter ability. :lol:
Maybe next week? :lol:

I think we were all going ":ill:MG" every time shots fired inside the prison in Walking Dead. :lol:

I fired a 9mm with no ear protection in the wilderness one freezing morning (it was hovering around 32 degrees F/0 degree C), and that was enough for my ears to be ringing.

No thanks on shooting anything recreationally without ear protection.

Who cares? Some people have thousands of matchbox cars.

Its called collecting. I have 6000 magic the gathering trading cards.
And don't worry, if that guy goes nuts he can only effectively wield one gun at a time so he is no more dangerous than a person who owns one gun.
Well, I am aware of gun collecting/collections, but this seems a bit crazy, especially considering how the things were seemingly stored.

Nothing wrong if they're all legally registered.

Besides, maybe he was planning on overthrowing his state government with a militia : p

“It’s not a crime to have a large number of weapons so long as they were legal to own and legally obtained,” LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith told the paper. “We want to make sure that’s the case.”
And as long as he wasn't moving the firearms illegally.

If this guy was a collector, he sure is a weird one. I'm not sure how I feel about somebody storing ammo outside, stacked up behind the garage, out in the open. Then again, if everything was up to the code, I couldn't care less. It does kind of suck that LAPD (understandably)had to proceed with much caution going through the guy's property.

Boy I had tons of fun today shooting little fir cones off from the 100 meters targets with my scoped 22.
Every shot a hit and they either exploded or were sent flying through the air doing countless somersaults.
Its pretty cool to be able to reliably hit such little targets at that distance that easily, and its way more fun than hitting paper.

Back