Realistic? NO, fun....sure!

  • Thread starter Thread starter turbohayabusa
  • 38 comments
  • 3,038 views
The only reason these top speeds are possible is because cars in GT6 or any GT for that matter cars can't be destroyed. IRL the frames of these cars and engines would not be able to handle all of the power. There is pretty much no way that PD can go out and test all the cars in the game until catastrophic failure actually I don't care what game/simulation you play you won't find that level of detail.
And just imagine a fully accurate sim + rig. Sounds like the holy grail, but if you do not *devote* your entire life to driving, be prepared to be many, many seconds off the real life pros, even in the most mundane kit. Also be prepared to not being able to handle a Super GT car, let alone a Group C monster. And don't even start thinking of F1.
There are a lot of people that race cars and still enjoy gran turismo or other sims. I think that if racing professionally was cheap more people would do it. Now I'm not saying anyone who has played sims exclusively would hop into a F1 car and win. I do however believe with a bit of coaching and practice you could be just as fast as the pros. Also lets not get into how unrealistic it is to think that anyone could become a pro racer you have to be rich last time I checked a lot of people aren't. What we have in the real world is a pool of people who have the potential and a pool of people who can afford to. Oh forgot to add we have a pool of egotistic fools who come onto forums or brag in game about themselves about what they do IRL. Not saying you are one of those people but I'm very confident that the people who are very good at sim racing are astute individuals and given the opportunity they could hone their skills.
 
This much I think is critical to the game's credibility. I have on-line friends who drive stock cars at Nurburgring.
Their time are very good. However, they should not be able to beat the official time of any car on that course.

Why? Times on the Nordschleife are hardly indicative. The track is twenty kilometres long - conditions may vary from one section to another, and it's so hard to make constant laptimes that there used to be a yearly challenge for bike riders. And while I enjoy hotlapping the Green Hell as much as the next car fanatic, I'd take shorter tracks into consideration. Brands Hatch and Laguna Seca spring to mind, even I have no problem doing consecutive laps with times similar within the hundredth of second.
 
The top speed is way excessive on ssx compare to the listed real speed on the real counter parts. Here some thing amazing though, I was looking at some of the standing miles speeds on a few cars, so I decided to try a standing mile in gt6 with a few cars and I found the speed the cars made over a distance of around 1 mile was very close to dead on accurate.
 
Lol , since you finished your game on Nov 8 and already then found It bad and post complaints over It , I found It very strange that after what , 3 weeks , you still play that game and only now realized how bad physics is ? Obviously you enjoy wrong game :D

GT is fun for sure and take in consideration that top speeds might also vary from track to track because of track altitude,time of season,tarmac quality or whatever else is processed in engine data. But yes, nothing is perfect here :D
 
Last edited:
It's worse than that; 378 km/h, and try it for yourself if you don't believe me.
Arcade mode, SSRX, courtesy car, Corvette C7 Stingray.

I actually had a chance to do it today; so I took my Stingray (that I know for sure is perfectly stock) and took it to the SSRX. And it reached 375 kph.

I was quite skeptical as I know, having extensively driven the C7 in the career races, that it will struggle to reach 300 kph. Just to be sure I took it to Le Mans, where it reached 301 kph on the Mulsanne straight (in 7th gear); and to the SSR7 where it managed 315 kph, a speed that I found quoted around as the "top speed" for this car, but in the second section (which goes slightly downhill). Mind you, in neither case did I hit the rev limiter.

So, it seems that on most track the top speeds are correct, but on the SSRX they're higher. I will have to verify that scientifically, tho.
 
Oh forgot to add we have a pool of egotistic fools who come onto forums or brag in game about themselves about what they do IRL. Not saying you are one of those people but I'm very confident that the people who are very good at sim racing are astute individuals and given the opportunity they could hone their skills.

Fully agree. Just a bit tired of the "realism snobbery" going on. Put the 10 best GT and the 10 best AC drivers in real cars, I doubt there would be any difference in skill levels between the two groups. Both sims/games are still so far off the real thing, the differences in realism will not translate to an advantage. What I don't doubt is that all of them will do much better than the average bloke, ie. me ;).

The harsh reality for those wanting to become real life pros though, is IMVHO that a) you need *exceptional* talent b) have to really, really want it before *everything* else and c) need parents or a sponsor like a local club to put you into karts, and preferably before you are much older than 12. Going all out on sims, even if you are truly gifted and win GT Academy, does not look like the high road to real life racing success. And turning that train of thought around, why not think of sim racing as a sport in its own right?
 
Why? Times on the Nordschleife are hardly indicative. The track is twenty kilometres long - conditions may vary from one section to another, and it's so hard to make constant laptimes that there used to be a yearly challenge for bike riders. And while I enjoy hotlapping the Green Hell as much as the next car fanatic, I'd take shorter tracks into consideration. Brands Hatch and Laguna Seca spring to mind, even I have no problem doing consecutive laps with times similar within the hundredth of second.

I did not take your thinking into consideration. A very valid point you made. Simply put, I'd like realistic times.
If a world class test driver can only take a Corvette around the ring (approx.) in 7 min. Vinnie from the block should not be able to best that time by 5 seconds. Also, the time does not always translate directly into speed. Suspension, weight, tires and brakes have bearing on total time as well.
So again I do see your point. And it’s well made and well taken.
 
Gentleman it is very easy to find out, I will buy an ACR Viper and see how it does on the ring, in real life it did a 7:22.1 with a pro driver.
A better test will be this, a stock ZR1 & 2013 SRT Viper on Mazda, in real life pro driver Randy Pobst hit a max speed in a ZR1 of 140.4 mph on the straight and the SRT Viper hit 138.4. SRT Viper produced a lap time of 1:35.77 and the ZR1 ran a 1:33.70. Since neither cars come close to their top speed which appears to be "the only flaw" as it relates to the games real life counterparts. The lap times & max speed on the straight should be VERY close to the exact same right?
Actually there is a new updated lap time for the ACR on the Nordschleife, it's 7:12.13 now. The in game time is not updated, you can check it here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nürburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

I.
With that in mind I did what you said, bounght an ACR, did the oil change, then raced it stock on the Green Hell.
With MT all driving aids OFF only ABS 1, I did using a DFGT something like 7:44.xx (invalidated for clipping a curb), because I'm still learning to use my wheel. I only have it for about 2 weeks now.
Anyway, then with the same wheel, same car, same settings stock, only this time with all driving aids ON except TC OFF and AT, I did a lap time of 7:12.420.

Now, I'm very much OK with my performance to be slower with the realistic settings than a professional/race car driver in reality, my problem is that using all the driving aids, not only makes everything so much easier, but also much faster. It should be easier with them, but slower.

II.
Then I bought the ZR1 and did the same test with it. The official Nordschleife lap time for the ZR1 is 7:19.63.
I got with the driving aids OFF a lap time of 7:41.300. Which again for my level of beginner skill with the wheel I think is fair.
But with the driving aids ON my lap time was 7:06.183. Which is just crazy!
You can see more details and pictures about this lap time here > https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-nürburgring-lap-time-board.294583/page-3#post-9127956

I've also tested the top speed of the stock ZR1.
1st test I did it on the infamous Special Stage Route X and I got to 373 kmh.
2nd test I did it on the Circuit de la Sarthe (no chicanes) and it ran up to 363 kmh.

The official top speed of the ZR1 is 340 kmh, and can be seen here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C6_ZR1

*I made a top speed test with the '13 Viper GTS on Circuit de la Sarthe and I got up to 354 kmh.
The official top speed of the Viper is 331 kmh > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRT_Viper

Since Special Stage Route X is a fictional track, I'm inclined not to take it seriously into consideration when comparing with the reality specs, so I'll use Circuit de la Sarthe for the comparison. That shows me that the ZR1 in game is 23 kmh faster than in reality, in its stock specs. The Viper is also 23 kmh faster.

Conclusion:
There are 2 main issues so far that make GT6 not "the real driving simulator":
1. The top speed of the cars is higher than in reality.
2. The game encourages the use of driving aids, not only because it's easier to drive with them ON, but also faster.
I know there are some magicians with the wheel around here that can get better time with MT and driving aids OFF, but they are a minority. The majority of the player base will drive with them ON, and will be faster like that.

If the top speed of the cars would be lowered to the point of being close to real life figures and the use of driving aids would only make driving easier and not faster, the game would gain a lot more realism.

These are my main reasons why I don't consider GT6 a realistic driving simulator. But it is none the less fun and I like it for the fun part more than the realism part.

This is just my opinion, nothing more.
 
Actually there is a new updated lap time for the ACR on the Nordschleife, it's 7:12.13 now. The in game time is not updated, you can check it here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nürburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times

I.
With that in mind I did what you said, bounght an ACR, did the oil change, then raced it stock on the Green Hell.
With MT all driving aids OFF only ABS 1, I did using a DFGT something like 7:44.xx (invalidated for clipping a curb), because I'm still learning to use my wheel. I only have it for about 2 weeks now.
Anyway, then with the same wheel, same car, same settings stock, only this time with all driving aids ON except TC OFF and AT, I did a lap time of 7:12.420.

Now, I'm very much OK with my performance to be slower with the realistic settings than a professional/race car driver in reality, my problem is that using all the driving aids, not only makes everything so much easier, but also much faster. It should be easier with them, but slower.

II.
Then I bought the ZR1 and did the same test with it. The official Nordschleife lap time for the ZR1 is 7:19.63.
I got with the driving aids OFF a lap time of 7:41.300. Which again for my level of beginner skill with the wheel I think is fair.
But with the driving aids ON my lap time was 7:06.183. Which is just crazy!
You can see more details and pictures about this lap time here > https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/gt6-nürburgring-lap-time-board.294583/page-3#post-9127956

I've also tested the top speed of the stock ZR1.
1st test I did it on the infamous Special Stage Route X and I got to 373 kmh.
2nd test I did it on the Circuit de la Sarthe (no chicanes) and it ran up to 363 kmh.

The official top speed of the ZR1 is 340 kmh, and can be seen here > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette_C6_ZR1

*I made a top speed test with the '13 Viper GTS on Circuit de la Sarthe and I got up to 354 kmh.
The official top speed of the Viper is 331 kmh > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRT_Viper

Since Special Stage Route X is a fictional track, I'm inclined not to take it seriously into consideration when comparing with the reality specs, so I'll use Circuit de la Sarthe for the comparison. That shows me that the ZR1 in game is 23 kmh faster than in reality, in its stock specs. The Viper is also 23 kmh faster.

Conclusion:
There are 2 main issues so far that make GT6 not "the real driving simulator":
1. The top speed of the cars is higher than in reality.
2. The game encourages the use of driving aids, not only because it's easier to drive with them ON, but also faster.
I know there are some magicians with the wheel around here that can get better time with MT and driving aids OFF, but they are a minority. The majority of the player base will drive with them ON, and will be faster like that.

If the top speed of the cars would be lowered to the point of being close to real life figures and the use of driving aids would only make driving easier and not faster, the game would gain a lot more realism.

These are my main reasons why I don't consider GT6 a realistic driving simulator. But it is none the less fun and I like it for the fun part more than the realism part.

This is just my opinion, nothing more.

You're right. GT6 may not be realistic, but it's so fun to play. EVEN if the game ends up being very realistic, we still have one problem: Your driver is OK when driving the Xs prototypes!
 
Back