Really Radical Racing - RetiredPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 144 comments
Paul & everyone, I'm sorry to say I won't be able to race today. After more than 2 years of dodging the pandemic "bug" he finally caught me during last week. Nothing much, a couple of days feeling like trash have already passed but today I still feel unable to do the physical effort these races require. Wish all a fun evening, glad Xero's back, as for me, we'll meet again (hopefully) at the finale. Cheers :cheers:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you're unwell Mario and won't be joining us. Take it easy, or as easy as you can, for a few days. Hope to see you next week.

I'm still ducking and dodging it myself!

Paul & everyone, I'm sorry to say I won't be able to race today. After more than 2 years of dodging the pandemic "bug" he finally caught me during last week. Nothing much, a couple of days feeling like trash have already passed but today I still feel unable to do the physical effort these races require. Wish all a fun evening, glad Xero's back, as for me, we'll meet again (hopefully) at the finale. Cheers :cheers:
I hope you'll get well quickly Mario!!!

You can count me in today! I haven't touched the rig pretty much since the last race I did with you guys, so expect to find me in a gravel trap near you in the early stages at least :D

Results from Dubai:

SR3 laps:
RS3FL.jpg

SR3 standings:
RS3.jpg

RXC standings:
RXC.jpg

Zolon is up front in both cars but that could change in the last race!
And speaking of the last race...

Update - There's a change of venue for the final race.

Now that @tal has just bought the deluxe version of PC2 I think that everyone has everything now* (except perhaps the Japanese pack). So that now allows me to swap out the twisty and bumpy Sonoma for somewhere else.

So that's now Mugello Short for the RS3 races and Mugello GP for the RXC.

It should suit both cars much better. The short course will be quite frantic in the RS3 and the GP will allow the RXC to stretch it's legs.

*Please let me know if this is not the case.

Last edited:
I have a question about the formation lap. Is there a specific reason for going under 100km/h in all that lap?
I think that there is plenty of time for everyone to get into the correct order, and, so that people have a pretty good idea as to when the pole position driver is going to accelerate hard to start the actual racing.

Well that's another one over with then. :)

Congratulations to Zolon on being the champion in both cars. And also to Mario for claiming both runner up spots. Special mention to that new guy in third place, I thought he did exceptionally well. Hope to see him again.

I know the results may have (would have ;)) been different with full attendance from everyone, but that's how it goes. It's all just for fun anyway.

As usual thanks to all for taking part, it'd be a bit quiet on-track without you.

And also as usual, special thanks to @half_sourly for his wizardry with the scoring. (And his reverse grid readouts. I was never paying attention!)

Onwards to Zolon's short Road B tester series. After that finishes I've a few more crazy ideas of my own that I'd like to trial. I hope to see you there.

Last edited:
Congratulations to @Zolon32, our very own radical champion! and also to the @IfAndOr new guy in 3rd, I think him and (as I mentioned yesterday) @half_sourly really stepped up with the Radicals. I have to say we all had a break with the absence of the lightning fast @Saltyjoe90 and @xeronima, and the recurring absence of @Napalm_LT, but the new additions of @tal and @Madbigdog plus a more frequent presence from @GTP_RPREGO kept the field big enough and good enough to make us all try harder. As I explained to all the other portuguese that now usually race in this group, here you have racing that is lighthearted enough to be fun, and competitive enough to be challenging. So, what's not to like?

Briefly mentioning yesterday's races, the one that stands out to me was the 2nd one, with reverse grid. I had problems during the first lap but from then on I made a slow but steady recovery towards the front. The track is long enough and wide enough to allow for safe overtaking and I don't remember any issues while clawing up the field. Come the last few laps I approach @IfAndOr , @Zolon32 and @richroo (4th, 3rd and 2nd) and I thought I was going to get stuck there and end up in 5th but maybe I was inspired or just lucky and managed to get by them before the end (rich at the very last lap), I was very happy with that.

Now, onwards to the RoadB cars championship Zolon is cooking!

And I'd like to share here that sometime closer to the end of this month I will be hosting a second endurance event. I havent really tthought about it much so have no clue on what cars and what track to use, but I'd like to do a "vintage" event if everyone has the "vintage cars and tracks". No punches pulled so you guys know that everything will be set to as real as possible (damage will bot be FULL however, just performance impacting) and it is a given that we will have wet weather at some point, pit stops will be set to manual and tyre degradation to accelerated (because this game is too forgiving regarding tyre wear).

I'm not saying we will race classic cars in a classic venue because nothing is decided, I'm just considering it as a possibility, and we may very well end up with top tech LMP1 Hybrids instead. To be decided ...

Goes without saying, all suggestions are welcome.

EDIT - Regarding AI, as you all know I am personally in favour of having them (and as humans are allowed to give their cars into AI control in any given pitstop I guess the presence of AI driven cars is inevitable), and I'd like to have them all racing in the inferior class (forgot to mention, there's no endurance racing without multiclass) so us humans all race each other in the same (superior) class). But ... I know we had complains about them in the last race, so to have or not to have them is still to be decided, and one of the factors regarding that decision is also that I will need to know in advance how many humans we will have entering the event.

Again, also regarding this, all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
Damn, he's got my brain ticking over. :lol:

I'd like to do a "vintage" event... all suggestions are welcome.
Not quite multi-class but certainly multi abilities.

Humans in the 1971 Porsche 908/03 Spyder (Vintage Prototype B). Fast, but not too fast, quite nimble and fun.

The AI takes their choice of the rest of Vintage Prototype B. Most are faster on the longer straights but not so good on braking, corners or acceleration, which makes for quite interesting races over a longer period. Give it a try.

A suitable old circuit could be Classic Hockenheim or perhaps Rouen Les Essarts - Full Circuit. Hock is fast and fairly straightforward, not too tricky, Rouen is probably more fun.

Let me know if you want any time and weather permutations cooking up for whatever/wherever. It's been a while since I've done that so I'd be quite keen! I've got some free time now that Zo is running the show for a few weeks. :)

Many thanks for inviting and organizing this championship @IfAndOr !! All races were great fun.
Also thank you @half_sourly for the scoring. Interesting to see the RS3 Fastest Lap table, and comparing it with the final table.

I especially enjoyed the reversed grid races. It promoted the battles, and made everything spicier!

Well done everyone, and congratulations to the top 3, especially @Zolon32 ! Curious that first 3 places were the same across both cars.

Looking forward for the new series. :)

That's rubbish Zolon. Consistent winner or podium finisher is consistent winner or podium finisher (La Palice wouldn't say this better, even in French :D ), but if you want to be a modern James Hunt I guess that's ok, he was a great racer and a worthy champion. And so are you 👍

Paul, many thanks for your offer of help designing a second endurance event. I'd love to do Hockenheim classic but sadly that is one of those tracks that becomes undriveable in the wet. I may test it to be sure but I remember an invitational Porsche 935 event (from career mode) that was a nigtmare to win because under wet condition the track would become a sliding ring with no avoidable lines to take.

I still didn't have the chance to try the 908 (away from home and gaming until saturday evening). Rouen les Essarts is a nice vintage track (loved it in the Group B cup) but maybe a bit narrow and twisty for us to go around safely.

If you are around and available this weekend we could do some testing together.

EDIT - I'd like also to know how many of us have interest in taking part. Our first endurance race (LMP2s at Daytona Road Course) had 9 human drivers, myself obviously and also:
@IfAndOr
@Madbigdog
@half_sourly
@Napalm_LT
@richroo
@Pantheons
@GTP_RPREGO
raeggee

but many notable absences were felt (@Zolon32; @Oldbass47 ; @beachboy6658 ; @John Wells; @xeronima ; @tal ; jmprego; @Maxmusmonster ; @Don Mejillone ; @Saltyjoe90 ; @AndreasR ; @jammy21 ) and I really would like to know what kind of human field is to be expected.

One important factor for attendance is also date and time. I read that Napalm only returns from holidays towards the end of the month so I am thinking sometime during the week that starts July 25th (for that date we already have a RoadB race hosted by Zolon). I am afraid that Friday (29th) will be too late because people may be leaving for holidays that weekend so would Wednesday (27th) or Thursday (28th) evenings work?

I will open a thread for this as soon as I have cars and tracks decided but for now all declarations of interest and preferences regarding date are welcome here. (also suggestions on track and cars/classes if you want to make them).

Cheers all :cheers:

EDIT2 - I'd like also to say - to all that didn't take part in the first endurance event - that although 2 hours might seem a very long time, you are allowed at any given time to release the control of your car to the AI. for this to happen you only have to call the pits, select the "swap driver" option and after the car is serviced the AI takes over the driving duties. When and if you want to regain control of your car you just have to do the same procedure (call the pits, check "swap driver" option, car pits, after serviced it will be you driving out of pitlane and into the track).

Of course giving your car to the AI will probably mean less chances of crashing (aggression will be set to low level, 20 or so, tests pending still) but it won't be a very competitive entry (skill set at 80 or close to that, also tests pending) ... it'll be up to you to decide what's best.

Last edited:
Ah, precipitation Mario, I hadn't considered that in the equation. It hasn't got to rain you know. :)

I know what you mean about Rouen. The full version has a very fast rear section we didn't use in the Group B machines.

However I've now remembered the 908 hasn't got any headlights which might be at odds with your liking for a period of darkness! Still a fun drive though.

but I do feel like a bit of a fraud...
Not really. If you were to imagine the missing drivers had mechanical problems, the old "You've got to be in it to win it" quote is appropriate. ;)

Was a very fun championship! Thanks Paul! Cars were a handful, but pretty fun all the same!

Here here. Very enjoyable all the same, but I do feel like a bit of a fraud...
Nonsense! Enjoy the champagne, was very well deserved!

I'd like also to know how many of us have interest in taking part.
I'd like to, however I'm away from thursday until sunday on that week, so I'd only be able to take part from monday to wednseday. If most people prefer the later days of the week, go on ahead, I'll watch the replays! :D

Last edited:
Back