Red Bull Racing Wants F1 to Ban Mercedes' 'Party Mode' Engine Mapping

Let's ban all engine modes while we are at it

Let’s just ban engines all together. From now on the only power source will be the legs of the F1 drivers.

scuderie-camparis-mira-pedal-car-is-your-kids-dream-come-true-photo-gallery_2.jpg

I don't belive it should ban the party/extra mode but if there is these extra modes used in the QF then they should be made to use them in the race conditions maybe for a min of 3 laps....

Last edited:
Let’s just ban engines all together. From now on the only power source will be the legs of the F1 drivers.

scuderie-camparis-mira-pedal-car-is-your-kids-dream-come-true-photo-gallery_2.jpg

R3E%20-%20Spa%2C%20Eau%20Rouge.jpg

How on earth are they going to get up here? It will take all year....

Maybe Red Bull should harden up and make its own party mode.

I'm with Daan on this one. Christian didn't say much when Red Bull were dominating.

As an F1 fan I'd prefer if Mercedes weren't doing quite so well but fundamentally I don't want to see them penalised for their success, I'd rather see the others work hard to catch up.

And while I'm making my three wishes I'd like to see the aerodynamic rules reformed so the cars could run close together and we saw more fighting for position.

Oh well, the BTCC restarts next weekend so I can get my racing fix there!

R3E%20-%20Spa%2C%20Eau%20Rouge.jpg

How on earth are they going to get up here? It will take all year....

Maybe Red Bull should harden up and make its own party mode.

They have a guy give them a push from the bottom.

Most places won't sell it to kids and the drinks are marked as for over-16s only.
I always thought the effect of Redbull was purely marketing and placebo effect. While it does contain caffeine.. but only a very small amount. The unhealthy part is rather the high concentration of sugar (like most other Softdrinks)

I always thought the effect of Redbull was purely marketing and placebo effect. While it does contain caffeine.. but only a very small amount. The unhealthy part is rather the high concentration of sugar (like most other Softdrinks)
There's also thems sugar free and zero calorie versions.

80mg in a 250ml can, according to Red Bull. That's the same as an espresso shot.

He should be mindful of what he asks for... he just might get it and further increase the gap to the front of the field. BTW, you wouldn't need a separate engine mapping to use a "party mode".

Modern cars are "mapped" by setting a particular fuel and timing setting in relation to the gas pedal, air temp, load, etc... Personally, I can see a team effectively reserving a combination of settings for the "party mode". Yes, it wouldn't be as effective, but still allow "one map" with both an aggressive setup for power and a reliability setting for longevity. The F1 paddock is much smarter than I, and I'm certain they could skirt the rule more efficiently. The FIA/F1 governing body would need to be in control of everyone's ECU programming and I just don't think that would be feasible. If I'm not mistaken they are already using a mandated ECU and still teams are complaining.

Modern cars are "mapped" by setting a particular fuel and timing setting in relation to the gas pedal, air temp, load, etc... Personally, I can see a team effectively reserving a combination of settings for the "party mode". Yes, it wouldn't be as effective, but still allow "one map" with both an aggressive setup for power and a reliability setting for longevity. The F1 paddock is much smarter than I, and I'm certain they could skirt the rule more efficiently. The FIA/F1 governing body would need to be in control of everyone's ECU programming and I just don't think that would be feasible. If I'm not mistaken they are already using a mandated ECU and still teams are complaining.

Don't see it being that far fetched. I imagine Horner thinks it's a great thing to ask for, because it was his team while he has been at the helm that ran EBD and caused the restrictions on ECUs the first time in modern F1.

Also I'm confused why everyone is continually looking at the pole lap, and not the entire session where the supposed mode was run. Hamilton's first Q3 lap (the one no one cares to talk about outside merc), wasn't that good and he gained massively on the second lap simply doing what he does best, by fixing his mistakes over a single lap run. Mercedes have said that Party mode didn't do that, if it had he wouldn't have had to have a second or third go really.

Back