Red Bull RB17

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT

1656445029252.png

Red Bull Advanced Technologies, the high-performance engineering arm of Red Bull Racing Group, today announced details of its first hypercar project designed, developed, and manufactured entirely in-house. Created by Adrian Newey, Chief Technical Officer of Oracle Red Bull Racing and Red Bull Advanced Technologies, the RB17 is a two-seat hypercar optimized for the ultimate on-track driving experience. Just 50 RB17s will be made at the Red Bull Technology Campus in Milton Keynes, with production scheduled to commence in 2025.

Christian Horner, CEO of Oracle Red Bull Racing and Red Bull Advanced Technologies, added: “The RB17 marks an important milestone in the evolution of Red Bull Advanced Technologies, now fully capable of creating and manufacturing a series production car at our Red Bull Technology Campus. Further, the RB17 marks the first time that a car wearing the Red Bull brand has been available to collectors.”

Adrian Newey commented: “The RB17 distills everything we know about creating championship-winning Formula One cars into a package that delivers extreme levels of performance in a two-seat track car. Driven by our passion for performance at every level, the RB17 pushes design and technical boundaries far beyond what has been previously available to enthusiasts and collectors.”

Powered by a V8 hybrid engine developing over 1,100bhp, the RB17 takes its inspiration – and name – from the cars that Red Bull Racing has campaigned in the world’s most demanding and technically advanced motorsport series. Designed around a carbon-composite tub, the RB17 features the most advanced ground effect package available in a series production car. Full technical details for the RB17 will be released in due course.

I never expected it to happen, but I really just can’t bring myself to be excited by (non-LeMans) hyper cars. All I see when I look at them is wasted resources that will sit in some rich person's investment collection.

...RB17 marks the first time that a car wearing the Red Bull brand has been available to collectors.

Well at least they aren't even pretending that these will be anything other than collector items.

I never expected it to happen, but I really just can’t bring myself to be excited by (non-LeMans) hyper cars. All I see when I look at them is wasted resources that will sit in some rich person's investment collection.
Same. Let's hope this evolves into an RB LMH project. Thus far I believe Glick is still the only company with plans for a road legal version of their LMH, as they've done with all their other race cars.

I disagree with most here... I don't care about it to be collector's thing. At least it will make to at least one game and some track videos or whatever and, most important, will become some nice photo in the bedroom of a kid that will inspire him or her to love cars and enter in the world in a way or another. That's the main point of these cars, a demonstration of what we can do and an inspiration for car lovers of any age.

Same. Let's hope this evolves into an RB LMH project. Thus far I believe Glick is still the only company with plans for a road legal version of their LMH, as they've done with all their other race cars.
Toyota too

I'm really interested to see how they plan on making it faster than the Valkyrie AMR Pro*. It's got similar power, and the smaller engine should trim a few kgs, but that won't be enough to match F1 levels of performance that they're aiming for. Newey has already said in the TG podcast that it won't be a fan car, so how much more extreme can they make the upper/underbody aero to compensate?

*For context, Shmee in his Valkyrie video said it did a lap of 1.19 around Laguna Seca on old tyres, unoptimised setup and reduced power. Probably 5 seconds could be shaved with everything perfect which gives a 1.14 matching a Porsche RS Spyder according to this chart.

To be fair the whole "we're targeting F1 performance" without any separation from "road legal" does sound like they think they can get away with making whatever they want, and they won't have any problems making it road legal. The question I have is, will it be fully road legal with F1 performance, if not will it need a non-road legal performance pack that can be installed on an otherwise legal car or will it be like the normal Valkyrie and Valkyrie AMR Pro, a road legal version and a much more extreme track version, sharing only the chassis and engine?

On one hand, I understand it's a bit to early to get into specifics. On the other hand, it does seem to me like Newey and RB were unhappy with Aston Martin because they told them they had to tone the Valkyrie down to make it road legal, and they just didn't get it. I doubt it, but I've seen bigger geniuses do more stupid things.

Either way (assuming they make a proper track only, unrestricted version) I honestly don't see why they can't make it as fast as a 919 Evo. Staggered seats for a slimmer cockpit and lower drag allowing for bigger wings, as well as skirts like the 919's, which don't seal the floor but help in making more downforce. The 919 is very light, but it wasn't changed all that much from the normal 919 besides removing everything they could, so developing it from scratch with presumably more advanced materials and a better "optimized" chassis thanks to the advances in technology since 2014 may allow the RB17 to be around or even under 1000 kg. And in terms of power it "only" makes 1160 hp, which they're already targeting and is the easiest number from the 919 Evo to get to. And if it is only a couple of seconds slower than the 919 Evo which (may be) only a couple of seconds slower than an F1 car at their fastest is still ******* fast.

One of the things that we must do is, for example, give support and follow initiatives like SRO GT1 sport club who is trying to put as much cars of this kind in the same track, not to race (for now). If we (a lot of us) supports and pulls these kind of events forward maybe something really cool could happen.

To be fair the whole "we're targeting F1 performance" without any separation from "road legal" does sound like they think they can get away with making whatever they want, and they won't have any problems making it road legal. The question I have is, will it be fully road legal with F1 performance, if not will it need a non-road legal performance pack that can be installed on an otherwise legal car or will it be like the normal Valkyrie and Valkyrie AMR Pro, a road legal version and a much more extreme track version, sharing only the chassis and engine?

On one hand, I understand it's a bit to early to get into specifics. On the other hand, it does seem to me like Newey and RB were unhappy with Aston Martin because they told them they had to tone the Valkyrie down to make it road legal, and they just didn't get it. I doubt it, but I've seen bigger geniuses do more stupid things.

Either way (assuming they make a proper track only, unrestricted version) I honestly don't see why they can't make it as fast as a 919 Evo. Staggered seats for a slimmer cockpit and lower drag allowing for bigger wings, as well as skirts like the 919's, which don't seal the floor but help in making more downforce. The 919 is very light, but it wasn't changed all that much from the normal 919 besides removing everything they could, so developing it from scratch with presumably more advanced materials and a better "optimized" chassis thanks to the advances in technology since 2014 may allow the RB17 to be around or even under 1000 kg. And in terms of power it "only" makes 1160 hp, which they're already targeting and is the easiest number from the 919 Evo to get to. And if it is only a couple of seconds slower than the 919 Evo which (may be) only a couple of seconds slower than an F1 car at their fastest is still ******* fast.
It is mentioned in the press release and the TG podcast it will be a track only car. Which begs the question why they don't just put fenders and a canopy over an F1 car and just call it a day. Probably cheaper too.

It is mentioned in the press release and the TG podcast it will be a track only car. Which begs the question why they don't just put fenders and a canopy over an F1 car and just call it a day. Probably cheaper too.
I just re-read the press release, and sure enough no mention of it being road legal. And I did read it a couple of times before writing my post.

...I'll just blame the heatwave. It must be melting my brain. :dunce:

Yep not surprising on how Newey felt restricted when working with the Valkryie, especially when he also had to design certain parts, like for the license plates, which does create certain compromises on the aerodynamics. Would have been dope if he could have put a V12, but considering how they want to achieve under 1,000kg, it makes more sense now. Would be cool if they could add a fan, just like the X2010, but with two seats and more like the Valkyrie that could have been more (sans the majestic V12).

In the meantime, here's my interpretation of the RB17 (for my Instagram page called @automovision):
RB17 AV2.jpg
RB17 AV1.jpg

Yellow: The first image of the Vakyrie
Blue: The RB17
Black: The Pagani C10 official teaser.

We are very far to know how the hell this car would look like.

Attachments

• images (76).jpeg
    images (76).jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 16
  • images (77).jpeg
    images (77).jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 16
  • images (84).jpeg
    images (84).jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 16
We are very far to know how the hell this car would look like.
I can attest to that. Although i like that @GRF has made a prediction render, i myself tried doing something similar before Aston Martin revealed the Valkyrie. My prediction was way off the mark.

If this reaches F1 pace, will become number 1.
Valky Pro and Bolide will compete for 2nd and 3rd place. Wich one you think is going to be the solid 4th? Rules are: minimum 2 seats side by side or 3 in triangle shape. Need to be or going to be in production with at least 10 units snd track-only. My money goes to the GMA T.50S Niki Lauda.

If this reaches F1 pace, will become number 1.
Valky Pro and Bolide will compete for 2nd and 3rd place. Wich one you think is going to be the solid 4th? Rules are: minimum 2 seats side by side or 3 in triangle shape. Need to be or going to be in production with at least 10 units snd track-only. My money goes to the GMA T.50S Niki Lauda.
RB17 and Valk Pro are clear 1st and 2nd. Bolide and T50S have lots of potential opponents such as:
Koenigsegg Jesko
Brabham BT62
Czinger 21C
Lotus Evija (probably too heavy and not enough aero though)

Sad thing is we will probably never know because no one will ever get these bunch of cars on a track at the same time.

RB17 and Valk Pro are clear 1st and 2nd. Bolide and T50S have lots of potential opponents such as:
Koenigsegg Jesko
Brabham BT62
Czinger 21C
Lotus Evija (probably too heavy and not enough aero though)

Sad thing is we will probably never know because no one will ever get these bunch of cars on a track at the same time.

Sorry but you're wrong. Bolide is a track car with over 2.5 tons of downforce, 1600 hp and 1450 kgs. In fact it could be a little bit faster than the Valk.

Sorry but you're wrong. Bolide is a track car with over 2.5 tons of downforce, 1600 hp and 1450 kgs. In fact it could be a little bit faster than the Valk.
Well that's the performance numbers they're targeting. I'll believe it when the final production cars are delivered to customers. The aero numbers in particular are too optimistic based on the design of the vehicle, as this ex-Mercedes F1 aerodynamicist pointed out.

The base Valk already has 1.8 tons of DF. The Pro is likely more, and the RB17 even more than that. In his Laguna video Shmee said the AMR Pro pulled 3 Gs in the corners.

A lot of these things are also track dependent. On tracks like La Sarthe with long straights the Bolide might well be faster, but on more technical tracks the Valk/RB17 lighter weight and higher DF would see it ahead.

Like I said, likely no one will know for sure because it's impossible to get all these cars on one track together for a definitive test.

Well that's the performance numbers they're targeting. I'll believe it when the final production cars are delivered to customers. The aero numbers in particular are too optimistic based on the design of the vehicle, as this ex-Mercedes F1 aerodynamicist pointed out.

Seems like the guy is taking what is basically a concept car too literally. It's obvious that form of the car was not final, otherwise they wouldn't be doing any additional development and instead just start deliveries shortly after launch.

Seems like the guy is taking what is basically a concept car too literally. It's obvious that form of the car was not final, otherwise they wouldn't be doing any additional development and instead just start deliveries shortly after launch.
Yep. Car isn’t expected to start delivering til 2024, so we’re a way ways off seeing what the final figures will be.

Back