RedBull Junior Races

• Thread starter pakiman740
  • 32 comments
United States
Massachusetts
pakiman740
I know everybody loves them and so do I but I'm struggling big time. I mean there hasn't been any one race that has been impossible, but for this one I don't know why its hard for me, everybody else seems to do fine. Any Tips?

Which race in particular?

Brake late and drive round the outside of them in corners, don't stuff it up the inside and ram them, you lose too much time. All aids off except abs 1, the others aids hinder you with these cars.

In the 1st race, get in 1st place, block the "always 1st" A.I. until its in 4th place then 1st place that race. You can do it again in the next event or just win (gold) the other events. The purpose of this is to secure you the championship because that "always 1st" A.I. is programmed to win every time.

the corner seems fine but it seems like I'm losing a lot of speed on the straight away I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong

One tip for success (though it kinda only works at its best with ABS set to '1'): start braking when you get roughly halfway between the 100m and 50m marker boards.

Rule isn't 100% applicable to every track in the RB Jnr race - you can get away with the big, looping right hander at Rome and the 90 degrees left turn at Brands Hatch by braking at or just before the final board - but it should mean you'll fly past the AI drivers who (based on personal experience and observation) slam on the anchors way earlier.

Sometimes, the NPCs even brake as they're going through the corner, which (as long as you're going around the outside, as @FussyFez stated) should make overtaking them at least a fair bit easier.

Quick Q, though (and should've probably asked this before devoting three paragraphs to what is basically a 'start braking when you reach this spot' tip...): what are you particularly struggling with in the RB Jnr series?

One tip for success (though it kinda only works at its best with ABS set to '1'): start braking when you get roughly halfway between the 100m and 50m marker boards.

Rule isn't 100% applicable to every track in the RB Jnr race - you can get away with the big, looping right hander at Rome and the 90 degrees left turn at Brands Hatch by braking at or just before the final board - but it should mean you'll fly past the AI drivers who (based on personal experience and observation) slam on the anchors way earlier.

Sometimes, the NPCs even brake as they're going through the corner, which (as long as you're going around the outside, as @FussyFez stated) should make overtaking them at least a fair bit easier.

Quick Q, though (and should've probably asked this before devoting three paragraphs to what is basically a 'start braking when you reach this spot' tip...): what are you particularly struggling with in the RB Jnr series?
sorry about that its not that I can corner well I seem to be breaking fine too but I'm really having a lot of trouble over taking them on the outside and I'm moving a lot of speed on the straight away normally what is a strange for me

Just do the championship a couple of times to get accostomed with the Car.
Without aids I´m doing low 50´s (sometimes high 49´s) at Silverstone. You can push the Car bigtime and the Grip is just there you just have to grab it. Dont think btw if you think you can´t get through the turn at that speed you acctually can +10kph (or even more :D)

My only tip for you is just do it. < this will get you the gold and the first race is actually a pretty fast way to grind money too ;)

sorry about that its not that I can corner well I seem to be breaking fine too but I'm really having a lot of trouble over taking them on the outside and I'm moving a lot of speed on the straight away normally what is a strange for me

Ah, okay. Can't really suggest much beyond really slipstreaming and maximising cornering speed as much as possible (latter point is much easier when you haven't got AI drivers pootling about like the mindless drones they are...).

Actually, that's a bit of a fib - I can suggest you take the RB Jnr to the Arcade Mode for a few time trial sessions (or just do the race/championship over and over again, if you want to figure out the best way to overtake the AI and/or earn some Credits at the same time), to really get used to the sheer amount of grip that's available. It is possible to be pretty quick in the Jnr - it just takes a while before you can really exploit the cornering speeds the car is capable of.

So, long story short, you'll gold them all eventually - it's just going to take some practice.

the corner seems fine but it seems like I'm losing a lot of speed on the straight away I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong

Same here, I gave up on these races because the AI cars would pull away from me so much on the straights that I had no hope of catching them in the corners. I pretty easily gold every career mode event I try so it's not really from lack of skill or technique, it's more like I'm down 50hp on the opponents (and yes I've done an oil change). IMO the car is terrible to drive anyway so I doubt I'll be trying them again, but that's just my opinion (your results may vary).

Using a handheld controller and the standard settings, I came:
1st, 1st, 5th, 5th, 1st.
This gave me silver, that was 5 points short of gold.

Obviously, I found the first, second and fifth races easier.

Placing 4th in either the other 2, would get gold.

My tip, attempt to get to 4-6 place after the first few corners... by braking very late; as described by somebody else above.

Cheers

Same here, I gave up on these races because the AI cars would pull away from me so much on the straights that I had no hope of catching them in the corners. I pretty easily gold every career mode event I try so it's not really from lack of skill or technique, it's more like I'm down 50hp on the opponents (and yes I've done an oil change). IMO the car is terrible to drive anyway so I doubt I'll be trying them again, but that's just my opinion (your results may vary).
The cars are provided in the Redbull events. No oil change available.

Honestly just draft them, you need to get on the throttle at or before the apex. These things need driving hard. Dive down the inside and brake to the Apex, hit the throttle and steer it out, I leave most corners with a higher exit speed than the ai. Alot of corners are completely flat out our just require a slight lift to get the front to tuck then instant full throttle again. The car tightens its turn on the throttle.

Practice is all it takes honestly.

You're doing nothing wrong. The AI uses Boost along with every other stabilizing aide in the game. You have to out brake and out corner them. Whatever you do, do not ram them.

Practice and enjoy the cars. Don't drive for the win off the bat. just try to keep it neat and smooth, one corner at a time. Once you are consistent you will be fast in the car, and once you are fast, winning is easy.

Passing. I tended to get my passing done early (No TCS I think gave me a bit better launch out of corners than the AI.

On the long straights going into medium tight corners - Don't follow right behind. I would tend for a loopier outside line, if I get ahead in the corner, I can cut infront of the AI car ahead... or I can cut back behind the AI for a soft faster later apex of the corner.

Good Luck. And scare the Living Daylights out of those Red Bull AI cars...

Thank you I hope I wasn't going crazy

You're doing nothing wrong. The AI uses Boost along with every other stabilizing aide in the game. You have to out brake and out corner them. Whatever you do, do not ram them.
I am actually fine with it being that hard for the x challenges but cmon its a car that goes 150Mph

Thank you to everybody for the help and I will do my best!

Last edited by a moderator:
I take the approach of driving very aggressively. Ultra late braking (since the car has so much grip) and, unlike the guys above, passing on the inside. If they get in the way, I use them as Armcos. What I did find is that when doing the entire championship, I always get taken out on Grand Valley East. Yet when I go back & do it as an individual race I seem to win it with no problem.

This also happens to me at Apricot Hill in the next Red Bull standard car event.

Last edited:
I have no problems with winning all of these events but I do lose ground on pretty much every straight. It does feel as if the AI have got more power there....I gain on exit out of the corner but, at a certain point, the AI starts to pull away (happens at the start of races too....I gain off the start but then they start to pull away). However, I more than make up for that in braking and cornering speeds.

I would agree with the advice above: Practice. You can take far greater speeds into a lot of corners than with other cars and you can brake a lot later than other cars as well (on the hairpin at Brands Hatch, for example, I brake after the 50M board and start accelerating before I'm out of the corner; the next corner requires only a slight dab on the brakes; the one after just requires a lift etc)

If u're playing with the driving line on, remember that it is very inaccurate when it comes to the Red Bull cars.

They have so much grip that a lot of corners where it suggests u brake, u find that u more often than not can get away with letting off the gas. The brakes are so effective u slow down way too much to catch the AI on the straights after the corner exits

Using a handheld controller and the standard settings, I came:
1st, 1st, 5th, 5th, 1st.
This gave me silver, that was 5 points short of gold.

Obviously, I found the first, second and fifth races easier.

Placing 4th in either the other 2, would get gold.

My tip, attempt to get to 4-6 place after the first few corners... by braking very late; as described by somebody else above.

Cheers
I have yet to play higher then 3 on that middle race. but I can gold the first two get a decent finish on the third,gold/sliver Rome and gold brand...I end up with 1.2 million (with the 200% login bonus+the 500K winning bonus) not bad for about 45 mins of racing.

Grand Valley East was toughest, but cut the corners leading to the tunnel and that big sweeping right hander after the main straight and dogleg left can be taken much faster than you would think. Same with the big curve around the Colisseum at Roma, these Jr RBs are on rails.

And you really only need to bronze to get the prize and unlock the next level.

Grand Valley East was toughest, but cut the corners leading to the tunnel and that big sweeping right hander after the main straight and dogleg left can be taken much faster than you would think. Same with the big curve around the Colisseum at Roma, these Jr RBs are on rails.

And you really only need to bronze to get the prize and unlock the next level.
At Grand Valley, I briefly tap my brake deep into the first corner, and carry full throttle from before the apex all the way until the 90 degree left towards the tunnel, where I stomp hard on the brakes. Then I'm full throttle again all the way to the first turn. Sometimes, but not often, I'll briefly ease back the throttle while entering the sweeping right leading to the finish line--but the AI gain on me when I do that.

The key in Rome is to stay full throttle from the start until you reach the 90 right on the cobblestones. Then pedal to the metal until the narrow right at the base of the hill. There, just tap the brake to keep from hitting the wall (where the AI lose time) and maintain full throttle until the last right before the round-about, where I tap the brake and maintain about 1/2 throttle until the apex.

Motegi: Late braking in, early, fast exit out, and most importantly, full throttle through the chicanes--this can be done without leaving the Tarmac.

Silverstone: First turn at full throttle, no need to ease the throttle unless you're carrying a bad line. Second turn, brake late hit the throttle early, and pass several AI. I pass the rest in the sweeping left and transition into the last turn. Brake gently and late, keep your speed up, and watch the last of the AI fall far behind.

Silverstone: First turn at full throttle, no need to ease the throttle unless you're carrying a bad line. Second turn, brake late hit the throttle early, and pass several AI. I pass the rest in the sweeping left and transition into the last turn. Brake gently and late, keep your speed up, and watch the last of the AI fall far behind.
There ya go fans, I run them exactly as Jbaffoh says - hammer 'em hard and brake late. The RBJR is a hoot and corners like it's on rails. Draft 'em on the straights and out brake them,, you'll blow them away every time and pocket a cool $1.1 for just over 20 minutes fun. Moving up to the RB Standard Championship nets you just under $2.4M so even though the Standard races are more challenging the reward is alot higher!! It's an every morning ritual for me now - start the game and run the RB Standard Championship and watch my $$ (credits??) build so purchasing just about any car is no prob. The old green Jag I've not bought yet as it's $20M but one days soon,, it too will be parked in my garage !👍

There ya go fans, I run them exactly as Jbaffoh says - hammer 'em hard and brake late. The RBJR is a hoot and corners like it's on rails. Draft 'em on the straights and out brake them,, you'll blow them away every time and pocket a cool $1.1 for just over 20 minutes fun. Moving up to the RB Standard Championship nets you just under $2.4M so even though the Standard races are more challenging the reward is alot higher!! It's an every morning ritual for me now - start the game and run the RB Standard Championship and watch my $$ (credits??) build so purchasing just about any car is no prob. The old green Jag I've not bought yet as it's $20M but one days soon,, it too will be parked in my garage !👍
The RedBull races ruin me for driving other cars--I can't stay on the road! So I'll grind to top up my credits and buy all the expensive cars one day, and drive the more realistic cars on another day.

Honestly just draft them, you need to get on the throttle at or before the apex. These things need driving hard. Dive down the inside and brake to the Apex, hit the throttle and steer it out, I leave most corners with a higher exit speed than the ai. Alot of corners are completely flat out our just require a slight lift to get the front to tuck then instant full throttle again. The car tightens its turn on the throttle.

Good post, I agree that practice might be the most important thing. It honestly took me a few attempts at the entire championship before I was able to use it as a go-to grinding event.

Don't worry about winning every race every time; just keep practicing and learn where you can make up time and how hard you can push the car. For example, the S curves right after the sharp right hander at the start of Motegi - if you hit the driving line just right, you can fly through them without slowing down much (if at all). Or, the first hairpin at Grand Valley or the second corner (the first hairpin) at Silverstone are good ones too because it seems like the AI is really slow exiting them.

Basically these two things. Your grip isn't unlimited, but you can get on the power pretty hard and early in these things, assuming you even had to come off it in the first place. If you want to keep up with them down the straights you need a good exit, and preferably a slipstream to go with it. If you can just keep up with them down the straights, you can easily take them in the corners.

The AI are early on the brakes, so it's usually pretty easy to just out-brake them and trail the brakes pretty hard into the corner. Around Silverstone, the AI are disgracefully slow coming out of Maggots and Becketts (although mysteriously it doesn't seem to hurt their speed a bit further down the straight). Speaking of the straight, they're also rubbish at the end of it (although I might be thinking of an arcade race, as I think the RB Jr race is on a shorter circuit). The corner does close up a little at the end, but you can brake way late and carry a lot more speed in than what the AI do. Not necessarily the best way to whack in a fastest lap, but for getting past the annoying AI so that you can focus on just whacking in fast clean laps...

And basically that's the way to do it. You start right down the back, the AI are rubbish, and you've only got a few laps to get it done. No time for being strategic and planning a nice clean overtake, and even if you did, it's not like the AI would give you the racing room to pull it off. So just bash the car down whatever gap you have to. You can carry way more speed into the corners than the AI do, so that's the easiest place to start.

It's a fun car, but the racing is disappointingly rubbish. But then, it's not like that's unique to the RB Jr championship.

You can't be soft with these cars, because they do not handle like normal race cars. Be very aggressive and precise with them, they're designed to be driven that way.
DNW
It's a fun car, but the racing is disappointingly rubbish. But then, it's not like that's unique to the RB Jr championship.
The Red Bull events have some of the closest racing in the game, don't know what you're talking about.

The Red Bull events have some of the closest racing in the game, don't know what you're talking about.
I'd probably agree there, but it's not like that's a particularly big claim. Really, I hardly consider any racing in GT against the AI to really be "racing". It's more like a time trial over a few laps with some really annoying moving chicanes to get around along the way.

They at least did away with the terrible rolling start for the RB Jrs, but it's still a case of hunting down the leader from the back of the pack in a few short laps. It's perhaps more intense than a lot of the other racing in career mode, but I wouldn't really say it's close racing.

I'm a big fan of the Red Bull Jr races and cars because of the close racing involved and the fast-ish AI (for me at least and in comparison to the career events).

Initially I was finishing around 6th. I kept getting passed by the AI for overbraking and I also suspected I was being blocked by the AI in some cases when I did get a good exit from a corner... fantastic stuff, big grin ensued.

Basically I just wasn't fast enough. I realised I wasn't taking advantage of their high cornering speed and the fact that you can get on the throttle much earlier than you would expect. I also basically didn't know the tracks well enough, especially Silverstone. I'm finding the Grand Valley East track to be the hardest to get a win, but it's getting easier as I'm getting used to the car.

I've only got bronze so far in the championship, but I'm working on improving my track knowledge, working out the passing points and loving the challenge! I really like the fact that the AI doesn't seem to be braking when I'm approaching/alongside (as I've noticed in some other events) and I can happily follow them through the fast corners, what a very uncharitable bunch, lol.

Now that I've unlocked the next event I have to say I'm not a big fan of the standard cars, I much prefer the juniors.

So you're not the only one! I say enjoy the struggle and best of luck :)

Back