Rediscovering GT

• Thread starter CamshaftXJ
  • 35 comments
I'm sitting here right now with my PSone hooked up right next to my laptop, playing Gran turismo while i'm typing this. For whatever reason I stared playing today in between long stints of GT4. I've forgotten how much fun this is! I just bought a car and got my B license, and now i'm off to the Sunday Cup! Cheers! 👍

It's always good to go back and play the original of a series. Sometimes, under certain circumstances, even better. Kinda like Mario. I always love to go back and play the original. Or Mario Kart!! Now that's a game I really have to play on SNES to really have fun. Same for GT1. I have more multiplayer memories with GT1 also. :)

I love the first GT... too bad I don't have a freakin' PSone memory card, so I can't save it!!

Yes, one day far in the future I will go back and rediscover GT1. It will be a mind-blower. I wonder if it'll be as difficult as I remember? Or will I blow thru it?

Last edited:
Last time I tried GT1 (verifying the "load settings changes colour feature"), I found I was too used to GT4 and was braking far too severely, causing a lot of lost time. This was with a stock Griffiths at Autumn Ring Mini.

When I go back to GT1 these days it seems pretty easy although thats probably because when I first got GT1 I was new to Playstation gaming :)

Certainly harder than GT2 though.

Oh yeah, I think most of us agree: GT1 is tougher than GT2.

Last edited:
GT1 still seems pretty easy to me, there is a small learning curve, however. I agree with SportWagon, I was breaking too early. I'm having a blast right now. I bought the Fiji Blue '92 GTO (as I always seem to), got my B license, won the Sunday Cup, bought a Kutani Red GTO twinturbo, and also had a Viper GTS all by day 25. Right now I just have to pass the FF cup, lightweight cup, Japan vs. UK, UK vs. US, and Normal cup before I go for my I-A license and then for all the remaining cups and Gold licenses. It's all going by so fast! :)

CamshaftXJ
GT1 still seems pretty easy to me, there is a small learning curve, however. I agree with SportWagon, I was breaking too early. I'm having a blast right now. I bought the Fiji Blue '92 GTO (as I always seem to), got my B license, won the Sunday Cup, bought a Kutani Red GTO twinturbo, and also had a Viper GTS all by day 25. Right now I just have to pass the FF cup, lightweight cup, Japan vs. UK, UK vs. US, and Normal cup before I go for my I-A license and then for all the remaining cups and Gold licenses. It's all going by so fast! :)

Yes, well you started off the Sunday Cup in a GTO, and now you're in a twinturbo with a Viper for support, of course it's gonna go by fast, dude! Try something with less power, just to fatten up that learning curve. In GT1 you can even compare your power and weight to the computer car's power & weight just to get a more even fight. I wish they had kept this feature in GT2 & 3.

Anyways, that was just a suggestion to make your experience a little more rewarding. Whatever, tho.

Parnelli Bone
Yes, well you started off the Sunday Cup in a GTO, and now you're in a twinturbo with a Viper for support, of course it's gonna go by fast, dude! Try something with less power, just to fatten up that learning curve. In GT1 you can even compare your power and weight to the computer car's power & weight just to get a more even fight. I wish they had kept this feature in GT2 & 3.

Anyways, that was just a suggestion to make your experience a little more rewarding. Whatever, tho.
I understand what you're saying there. I used a Miata to win the Lightweight cup and a Prelude on the FF cup. It definitely is more rewarding to race in a car that's "slower" (for lack of a better term).

CamshaftXJ
I understand what you're saying there. I used a Miata to win the Lightweight cup and a Prelude on the FF cup. It definitely is more rewarding to race in a car that's "slower" (for lack of a better term).

Yeah, there you go buddy! Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was flamin' ya. ¬

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Yeah, there you go buddy! Sorry, i hope i didn't mean to sound like i was flamin' ya. ¬
No, not at all! I completely agree. At this point i'm just using prize cars to win the various series. The real challenge comes when I go for the gold licenses...

The biggest challenge for me right now, after just starting over for the first time since the game came out, seems to be the FF challenge and the Lightweight Cup. In the lightweight cup, I used a highly tuned Mazda Demio, and I still wasn't able to keep up with everyone :( I used a fully tuned Civic for the FF cup, but wasn't able to keep up with them on that either. Probably just used to the more realistic handling games like GT4 and TOCA3 :P

My initial reaction was, "those races aren't that difficult!". But when I did a few laps in GT1 a few weeks ago, testing an obscure feature someone mentioned, I found I was braking way too hard and early and so was probably going far too slowly.

Thirdeye
The biggest challenge for me right now, after just starting over for the first time since the game came out, seems to be the FF challenge and the Lightweight Cup. In the lightweight cup, I used a highly tuned Mazda Demio, and I still wasn't able to keep up with everyone :( I used a fully tuned Civic for the FF cup, but wasn't able to keep up with them on that either. Probably just used to the more realistic handling games like GT4 and TOCA3 :P
A integra Type R will be good for both of those, and will flat out dominate if you max it out.

I put in GT1 last week and started to work on some drifting in the game(I finished all the races already). I started with a TRD 3000GT Supra with 800+ HP all the best parts and hit up some nice drifts on Deep Forest & Trial Mountain, I also took a new Toyota Chaser for a spin also supped up, I wish I could take some vids to post up. If I had a new memory card I'd start all over again, I remember when I beat the game for the first time and the last race I did to get 100% I got a Trueno and was :grumpy:. Taking a look back at that that Trueno is likely off Initial D simply looking at the RS wheels(score!).

I think that any future GT game player should play GT1, because that's the game which started the craze that was Gran Turismo. Who would have thought that almost ten years later, people would still be playing GT games? Many people would still play GT even in the wake of games like Sega GT, the Project Gotham Racing series (which I respect), Forza Motorsport, and games like that.

All I have is a Save Game for GT2. But if I wanted to beat GT1 again, I will. I still prefer GT1 over GT2 because it's faster and more fun than GT2. Where else could you have the fun you've had in GT1 in playing any GT after GT1? Gran Turismo 1 is a lasting experience. Even some of the PS2 gamers should buy GT1 or even GT2 just to see how fun it was on the PS1 as we are looking foward to the PS3.

JohnBM01
I think that any future GT game player should play GT1, because that's the game which started the craze that was Gran Turismo. Who would have thought that almost ten years later, people would still be playing GT games?

VERY much agreed. Even if I was just getting into GT4 (totally new to the Gran Turismo series) I would be totally curious about the first game...not to mention the 2nd & 3rd....IT is worth the $4.00 to $7.00 you'll pay if you can find GT1 in a used gaming store just to see how it all began.

Incidentally, I dug up a webpage I found while surfing. It's in another thread; check it out, the loser who wrote it must be kicking himself by now.

Last edited:
I originally got into the Gran Turismo series by playing GT3 against my niece on her PS2. I had heard about it before, but never really played it. Then she got a PS2 and GT3 for Christmas and we played it all weekend. I had a lot of fun, but never got into the simulation mode, just multiplayer with me in a slower car and her in a Viper (she didn't quite get the fact that you have to brake before a corner so I would still sometimes win).

A while later a friend got Project Gotham Racing for his XBox and I really got into it. Another friend that sometimes played PGR with us said he couldn't get used to PGRs style of play and its physics because he played GT3 so much. But every time he raced PGR he would blow us away. I really wanted to play the GT series then, hoping it would make me a better PGR driver.

When GT4 came out my friend with the XBox bought it (he has a huge HD TV and all the game consoles and even a few full size arcade games) and I was instantly hooked on it. Soon after I got my own PS2 and my own copy of the game. After finding this site and seeing that these message boards for the original GT game were still active I decided to get a copy and have been playing it a lot. I really feel more in tune with the whole GT experience now that I have played the first one a bit. I also bought GT2 and GT3. Recently I have been spliting my time between the original and GT4.

Last weekend I tried PGR again for the first time in over a year. Playing the GT games didn't make me a better PGR driver, but that isn't important to me now. PGR is fun in it own way. We also played RallySport. That was a lot of fun too (especially the spectacular flips and rolls when you wreck). But now I consider myself a racing sim fan, and a Gran Turismo fanatic.

Oh, and that friend that used to beat me at PGR, schooled me in GT4 and RallySport. I think he was born with that talent.

Ah, those were the days.
My friend and I played a scratched up copy of GT1 for hours. The disc was so messed up you had to open and close the disc tray just to navigate thru menus. I still to this day have not finished the game because I don't have a long enough fuse to suffer thru the lisences. I would probably be much better at it if I popped in the disk right now. Hmmm...

I had actually started playing it again for the first time in two years just a couple days ago. It's a little difficult to get used to again, without the pressure sensitive controller and all, but it's not too bad as soon as you get used to having to tap repeatedly to turn and such.

I vote we get our own 'Weekly Race Series' on the go for GT1. :dopey:

I would participate in a GT1 weekly race series... if I can find the time. I haven't participated in the current ones for months because of school.

I just have to share this and I guess this is as good a thread as any.

I was trying to finish the IA licenses. I got a bronze in the first 4 over the last 2 weeks. It has been taking me about an hour to finally get a bronze in each race. I skipped ahead to IA-7. Man that TVR is twitchy. And I don't know SS11 at all. I tried it for an hour and was still 7 seconds off. I figured I would try something different and was looking at my records for the B licenses. I realized that even though I really struggled with them when I first did them (they were the first things I did when I started playing), I was only a few tenths away from some silvers. And for a couple I was less than a tenth away. So I decided to try and improve my times on the B licenses. Only took me about half an hour to get 6 silvers and 1 gold. I looks like a couple more golds are possible now, and that last bronze (B-8, the final test) I think I can silver with a little more practice. I guess all the racing I have done and trying to get the IA licenses has improved my driving.

Next I am going to check out some websites for advice and shaving off that last few hundredths of a second on the B test, and then go back and finish the IA tests.

Peter J. Ford

Back