Reefer Madness: A BLAST Through the 80s, Sat 10:30pm UK (12 Nov start)

• Thread starter reefer
  • 221 comments
Week 4 Race 1 Apricot Hill Toyota MR2 1600 G Limited Super Charger '86 450pp

AH_MR2.jpg

Week 4 Race 2 Mid-Field Raceway Mugen Motul Civic Si '87 485pp

Midfield_Civic.jpg

Joe on Sports Medium tyres at Mid-Field (as championship leader after Apricot Hill race)

80s Blast Standings After Week 4 (8 races)

1st LeoStrop____130
2nd joe__kerr___130
3rd gu1tar3rich__109
4th Autope______108
5th buybon______108
6th fadmad______87
7th Jammy______83
8th Sutsagrd_____67
9th dave________50
10th Venari______48
11th Riethelm4___40
12th Crazy John__35
13th iamtooma___33
14th bcd73______20 (Boris)
15th Tom Ascar___17 (mgo)
16th nolucktoday_15 (quentin1974)
17th Benny_______8 (bic44)
18th f1r3str0m____7

Congrats to Jammy on his fine win at Midfield.

That was a couple of classy races chaps, well done!

AH worked out well for me. Jammy had a moment as did Riethelm which gave me a few seconds of a cushion to relax at the front so that was good. In practice Al was doing 27s but I was relieved to hear his voice on mic which told me he'd be off the pace jaja.. (Those in the room will know what I'm talking about.) Anyway, once Riethelm found his rhythm the gap to me started closing. Think we've found the new Verstappen! Nevertheless, it was fun for me to see if I could hold on and, with the MR2s tendencies to go mental without notice, hold on tight I did. Just. I'd like to see Riethelm coming back next week.

R2 I had a good 'ol fight playing cat 'n mouse with Monsieur Suts. You had me grinning like a Cheshire cat and, I think I've said it before, that's what I sign up for! Looking at the replay there were so many great battles lap after lap throughout the race and I really struggled with who to make the video about this time. Well done to all for such clean fun battles.

Next week is the final week of the 80s blast and we're gonna have an all Sports Soft shootout. No one will go onto Sports Mediums next week! The second race will be Reverse Grid. Have you seen how tight the championship is? So, lot's to play for. Also, look out for an announcement this week about "A Bolt Through the 90s" starting in 7 January TBC. If there's interest, let's do it again, only at higher PPs. However, before that we've still got Madrid and Fuji to run. If anyone gets a chance to pop into the room this week when Al has set it up for Madrid, ask him to give you a tour. Seriously. He knows every bar, building and park bench on that track! And he doesn't take tips either. Great tour conductor:bowdown:

All to play for next week guys. Get tuning! And get better soon Venari:tup:

Last edited:
I don't know why some cars gives me headaches when tuning and this MR2 was one of those cars. I think I got driviable tune for AH and managed to survive even though I spun on the end of 1st lap and dropped dead last.
Midfield went better event though best lap time was lot slower than it should have been.
Good 4 races for me in this series. I can't make to last races so thanks again Joe for great series and races - as always :cheers:

See you all later - might be next year so Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Last edited:
This morning I bought the Logitech G29 steering wheel and in the afternoon I went to return it to the store. Sucks!!! Makes a lot of noise and I do not know if my unit would be in poor condition, because it was almost impossible to keep the car straight on the straights. Nor can roulettes be programmed. It was also necessary to make a lot of force to turn the steering wheel.The brake pedal is very hard and the pedal clutch is too close to the brake pedal. So since I was not convinced I returned it to the store. It costs too much money for what it's worth.Tomorrow I will go to a friend's house to try out your steering wheel, Thruthmaster T150 and I

When you will have feedbacks let us know about G29 mate :cheers:

I can't make to last races so thanks again Joe for great series and races - as always

I'm just happy that a fast racer like you joins us when you can! Hope you liked the "jammy-man" video.

Note: We're using the Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) this coming weekend at Fuji F and not any of the other similar models. The race will be a 30-min Reverse Grid finale.

How close is it at the top!

Time to chase 1:46.5:tup:

Week 5, Race 1: 20 min…..1988: Volvo 240 GLT Estate - Madrid - 465pp

Week 5, Race 2: 30 min…..1989: Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) – Fuji Speedway F - 500pp

Last edited:
Hey guys. Yesterday I bought the Thrutmaster T150 stering wheel. Compared to Logitech G29DF is much less noisy and cheaper, of course! I bought the Asetto Corsa version with her. Total € 189. The wheel may be changing the steering angle from 1080 ° to 270 °, but you need to do this each time you change the menu. I must learn to drive with him again.
WP_20161205_001.jpg

Assetto Corsa has spectacular grafics and its menus aren´t difficoult. You can´t change the pad or wheel configuration. There are only two ways. I´m specting for GT Sport.

Hey guys. Yesterday I bought the Thrutmaster T150 stering wheel. Compared to Logitech G29DF is much less noisy and cheaper, of course! I bought the Asetto Corsa version with her. Total € 189. The wheel may be changing the steering angle from 1080 ° to 270 °, but you need to do this each time you change the menu. I must learn to drive with him again.
View attachment 612338
As you can see my desktop is a disaster. 💡 :D :gtpflag:

Important for the last blast at Fuji F:

We'll be running with tyre wear on Very Fast, Reverse Grid and for 30 minutes.

BTW, Fuji eats tyres for breakfast!
Yes - I remember this about Fuji. should be a fun race. Love it when strategy plays a part.

@Autope10 - that's the wheel I plan on getting soon. Inside Sim Racing has a nice review of it you can find on YouTube. It's great because, not only is it a very good bargain, but you can upgrade the pedals and add a shifter. Plus, it's compatible with PS4 and PC so you'll get lots of use

Guys I got last minute deal on a winter break so will be away for the finale this weekend :confused: real shame to miss the end. Good luck everyone hope all goes well, its looking pretty tasty at the top!!! Will keep an eye on thread to see who is crowned 80s champion:gtpflag:

Thanks for all the racing really enjoyed, had an absolute blast :cheers:

@richroo thanks for posting the videos mate. Embarrassed to say but I've made the same mistake myself - a couple of times..

@davecapri76 thanks for your message mate - have a great break away!

Racers for 80s finale this weekend at Madrid and Fuji F:
1. Buybon
2. Suts
3. fadmad
4. Tom Asacr (mgo)
5. Venari
6. Autope (Al)
7. gu1tar3rich
8. LeoStrop
9. Benny44
10. Crazy John
11. joe (me)
12. bcd (Boris)
13. @quentin1974 slot offered
14. @gkgamer slot offered
15. @353 Hemi place offered this weekend
16. Reithelm4 place offered for this weekend

Been in touch to say can't manage
Tooma
Dave
Jammy

Reserve Drivers
f1r3storm
ATLAS--leonidas

Race Info:
Going into the last 2 races and any one of six can win the "Blast". Please be patient at Madrid as it's really hard to overtake - Volvos are not the smallest. It's also tricky to judge braking distances as Al will tell you. I must have hit him about 8 times the other night whilst running behind him. At Fuji the Eunos goes really well and setting up my car there was a lot of fun. This will be a Reverse Grid just to spice the 'ship up even more, as if it needed it.

Other Stuff:
I've now created a thread for "A Belt Through the 90s" and have to thank Colin, Suts and Tooma for their help and advice in the prep stages, cheers guys:cheers: If you enjoyed the "Blast" then feel free to join up for the "Belt". We'll be testing you even further with higher PPs and in some cases more difficult cars. Should be a lot of fun - certainly better than the belt you remember from school (or is that just me showing my age now?). As usual, put your name down to reserve your place:

See you all on track tomorrow for the last Blast Through the 80s:tup:

Last edited:
I should be about. :) Still got flu, but at least I'm home and sort of recovered.

I don't like either track though, although I'm not slow at Madrid... and if the MX-5 behaves on my chosen line at Fuji, it might be a tough fight for you. ;)

App free run general practice times
Madrid high 1m34s.
Fuji 1m49s.

Go get 'em, Tigers.

Last edited:
I've done the math and I can't win the championship. Ive narrowed it down to 2 reasons -
1)I've only raced one night
2)I'm quite slow
:crazy::lol::lol:
Anyway, I hope to race Saturday. Still can't be 100% sure. Sorry @reefer

@Venari - flu and not keen on the tracks and you'll still try to make it - good man.

It would be interesting if someone tried a "Hamilton" this weekend and pulled it off! All the way down to 6th place - fadmad - can still win the championship and there's still plenty to fight for throughout the table:P

@richroo thanks for posting the videos mate. Embarrassed to say but I've made the same mistake myself - a couple of times..

@davecapri76 thanks for your message mate - have a great break away!

Racers for 80s finale this weekend at Madrid and Fuji F:
1. Buybon
2. Suts
3. fadmad
4. Tom Asacr (mgo)
5. Venari
6. Autope (Al)
7. gu1tar3rich
8. LeoStrop
9. Benny44
10. Crazy John
11. joe (me)
12. @quentin1974 slot offered
13. @gkgamer slot offered
14. @353 Hemi place offered this weekend
15. Reithelm4 place offered for this weekend

Been in touch to say can't manage
bcd (Boris)
Tooma
Dave
Jammy

Reserve Drivers
f1r3storm
ATLAS--leonidas

Race Info:
Going into the last 2 races and any one of six can win the "Blast". Please be patient at Madrid as it's really hard to overtake - Volvos are not the smallest. It's also tricky to judge braking distances as Al will tell you. I must have hit him about 8 times the other night whilst running behind him. At Fuji the Eunos goes really well and setting up my car there was a lot of fun. This will be a Reverse Grid just to spice the 'ship up even more, as if it needed it.

Other Stuff:
I've now created a thread for "A Belt Through the 90s" and have to thank Colin, Suts and Tooma for their help and advice in the prep stages, cheers guys:cheers: If you enjoyed the "Blast" then feel free to join up for the "Belt". We'll be testing you even further with higher PPs and in some cases more difficult cars. Should be a lot of fun - certainly better than the belt you remember from school (or is that just me showing my age now?). As usual, put your name down to reserve your place:

Thanx for offer but because of work I can't make it. Lots of overtime that is needed for Christmas.

Time to chase 1:46.5:tup:

Oh....I am not even close....1:54.1 so far. I can see my self shaving 2-4 seconds but that's about it. You can just feel the layers of rubber peeling off this car if you're not smooth. It will be very interesting to see how everyone uses strategy. I'm able to get quite a few laps in before I start feeling it

Yes - I remember this about Fuji. should be a fun race. Love it when strategy plays a part.

@Autope10 - that's the wheel I plan on getting soon. Inside Sim Racing has a nice review of it you can find on YouTube. It's great because, not only is it a very good bargain, but you can upgrade the pedals and add a shifter. Plus, it's compatible with PS4 and PC so you'll get lots of use
This is my pedal set
WP_20161210_002.jpg
WP_20161210_001.jpg
My friend Valentino made it for me. These are 1 mm thick hardboard bonded together with an ABS non-slip plastic base. All for less than € 3. It´s easy to do.

Very nice @Autope10 ! Keep at it with the wheel, you won't regret it!

@reefer I am in tonight. Still trying to knock my times down so I can be competitive, but you just never know what will happen in a race:D
:boggled:

yesss! i am going to be there tonight!!
now i have to go to buy cars and make setups and try it on the road ;)
no practice at all but i am happy to be on the grid with all of you tonite ;)

yesss! i am going to be there tonight!!
now i have to go to buy cars and make setups and try it on the road ;)
no practice at all but i am happy to be on the grid with all of you tonite ;)
If you're not too fast you can compete with me. I'm not concerned where I finish - I'm just hoping to have some battles :gtpflag::D

Week 5 Race 1 Madrid Volvo 240 GLT Estate '88 465pp

Mardid.jpg

Week 5 Race 2 Fuji F Eunos Roadster (NA Special Package) Fuji Speedway F 500pp

Fuji F.jpg

80s Blast Final Standings After Week 5 (10 races)
1st joe__kerr____175
2nd LeoStrop____173
3rd gu1tar3rich___147
4th buybon______135
5th Autope______123
6th fadmad______103
7th Sutsagrd_____86
8th Jammy______83
9th Venari______58
10th dave________50
11th Tom Ascar___42 (mgo)
12th Riethelm4___40
13th Crazy John__35
14th iamtooma___33
15th Benny______23 (bic44)
16th bcd73______23 (Boris)
17th nolucktoday__15 (quentin1974)
18th f1r3str0m____7

Some great racing there guys in the big 'ol Volvo! Overtake of the series into the first right-left do-dah goes to buybon. Incredible move, bold, and carried off with style. Suts and Tom played their part too in making it the move of the meet and the entire series. Also, richy, what did you do to that poor man Al! You know he's never gonna be the same after that pasting. I hear Al is still wandering around Madrid in a daze wondering what happened, scarred for life no doubt.

The second race was an unusual one for me. The first stint before the pit stop I felt comfortable and enjoyed battling through the pack. When I pitted Leo was miles ahead, dozens of seconds I think, and when I came out I was 48 seconds behind or something. Then, for a moment, I thought he was going to stay out so pushed hard but eventually he came in. When he came out of the pits I was excited to see he wasn't far in front. "Should be good", I thought, but I made a few silly errors and Leo drove like the pro he is and built a safe gap. Well done Leo, I think you are the real winner of this series.

I have to say thanks to everyone for coming along when you could to make this event a successful one. Best memory for me was battling Suts around SSR5 and Midfield - good old fashioned close racing, I love it. I also loved the mid-week laughs and practice races I had with fad, Benny, Al, richy etc.
Thanks to all Blasters, see you next year in 90s cars for the "Belt"👍 Have a great Xmas and New Year:cheers:

Turn your speakers waaay up for this

Last edited:
:gtpflag:
For the last round in the series it was my best time on track. Unfortunately I had not lot of time to set the Volvo but I enjoyed race in Madrid anyway. For the second race it was hot being stuck in sandwich between @richroo in front and @Sutsagrd on my back. For the last laps I had to pay attention in the mirror I knew suts was like a bird-pray ready to jump anytime I make a bad move :scared:.
Fun fun fun Thanks :cheers:

Hey friends. Another champ finished. Well done Joe!!! Congratulations Rich, you deserve the third place on the podium. I almost broke my arms fighting with you :embarrassed: well done mate. I´ve enjoyed a lot with all of you in these races.

The Madrid´s race was a pain for me. I started well I could overtaking rich and then I passed Leo with cars a few centimeters, amazing, I had good feeling with the Volvo, but then "Paco vendría con el palo" Spanish expression. It means The problems appeared. The shoulder hurt more and more and the cramps in my left hand were stronger. I could hardly keep the fifth position. A little bit frustrated and sore but happy with my fastest lap.

But then it would be worse. The pain in the hand was too annoying. I missed the start, then I felt a small hit on the second corner, I lost control of the car and collided with several of you. Fadmad, once again it was the worst part of you. I wanted to continue to compete with you and not be bored in last position, but the pain was getting stronger and stronger so I made the decision to stop in the pits and see the race from there.

Tom, you did the best pit stop and I was watching your fight with Rich and Buybon. Great.

It was amazing to see Leo driving almost without wheels with Joe on the hunt.

I had planned to go out after the race with my friends, but as a grandfather I had to take a pill for the pain and go to the bed.🤬 Another day will be.:cheers:

See you on track friends.
:gtpflag:

Back