Regarding Xbox Anywhere

Canada
Canada, Montreal
CheeksClapper9
Helllo guys,

I chatted with someone from the MS store and they told me that you need an Xbox One in order to play the game on your PC.

Its unfortunate for people like myself who dont have an Xbox One. Seems like Ill have to pass on this one even tho the hype is real... :(

Here is the full conversation: https://postimg.org/image/ladg3tohd/

llllll.png

Last edited:
Bummer indeed. It looks like FH 3 will be epic, but not $400 epic.. I can only hope dude didnt know what they're talking about and it'll be playable on PC without XBONE. I mean we have that Forza 6 apex thing which works on PC alone <fingers crossed>

I reiterate what @minimalist has said above: hopefully you just ran into a mis/un-informed representative. I can see Microsoft pulling this kind of thing honestly but I really don't want to be right on that one. They were bragging about how you can play it on Windows 10 and I'm sure there is a decent sized crowed waiting to play the game on PC. If we do need an Xbox, then that is 100% DUMB.

(And no, I can't see the photo. Try uploading to a site other than imgur like this.)

It seems like the picture is way too small... I dont know how to fix it lol. Maybe i can send it to one of you and any of you would post it?

Yes,

Im afraid that we really need an Xbox One in order to play on PC.

I tried to speak with another costumer service and he told me the same thing.... Unfortunately.

This is completely wrong and untrue.

Xbox Play Anywhere just means that when you buy a Play Anywhere game on the Microsoft store (Xbox or PC) you get both a PC and Xbox digital license. You are not required to own an Xbox One to play Play Anywhere games on PC and you're not required to buy them on the Xbox store.

The rep most likely though you were asking about streaming Xbox One games to your PC which does require you own an Xbox One.

Yes,

Im afraid that we really need an Xbox One in order to play on PC.

I tried to speak with another costumer service and he told me the same thing.... Unfortunately.

This is not true, the customer service agents are wrong.

"Now when you own an Xbox Play Anywhere digital title, it’s yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC."

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

It's just a PC digital license for the game, it does not require an Xbox One.

@FordGTGuy I tried twice with 2 different agents and they told me the same thing.

Go try it out by yourself and give us an ETA about that.

The key thing is that did both reps mention anything related to streaming the game in their responses to you? That's a huge factor. I believe the reps were not fully understanding the question you were asking.

"When you buy an Xbox Play Anywhere digital game through the Xbox Store or the Windows Store, it’s yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC at no additional cost."

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

The reps think you're talking about Xbox One to PC streaming, hell I wouldn't doubt it if these reps had no idea what Play Anywhere even is yet as it's not out yet.(Xbox One to PC streaming of course requires an Xbox One.)

Last edited:
Oh i do know the definition.

So youre basically telling me that their staff dont know the correct answer for this question?!

Take it easy here gentlemen. I say we wait until we get closer to the release date to see what happens.

Do you need to have an Xbox to play on PC?

Wait to see?

We already know how it works.

Also Quantum Break is not a Play Anywhere title.

So youre basically telling me that their staff dont know the correct answer for this question?!

Yes, like I said before, they are notorious for giving wrong answers on this type of stuff.

Here's the thing: customer service is more like a general help kind of thing rather than the specifics. These are people hired to talk to customers, not develop the Xbox and/or make its games.

"When you buy an Xbox Play Anywhere digital game through the Xbox Store or the Windows Store, it’s yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC at no additional cost. To take advantage of Xbox Play Anywhere, you will need to have installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update on your PC, as well as the latest update on your Xbox One console. Then, simply log into your Xbox Live/Microsoft account and your Xbox Play Anywhere games will be available to download."

From the Xbox play anywhere site, the verbiage is a bit fecicous and can lead you to think you need both.

But I think that you can still play either or.

"When you buy an Xbox Play Anywhere digital game through the Xbox Store or the Windows Store, it’s yours to play on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PC at no additional cost. To take advantage of Xbox Play Anywhere, you will need to have installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition update on your PC, as well as the latest update on your Xbox One console. Then, simply log into your Xbox Live/Microsoft account and your Xbox Play Anywhere games will be available to download."

From the Xbox play anywhere site, the verbiage is a bit fecicous and can lead you to think you need both.

But I think that you can still play either or.

It's saying that if you buy a Play Anywhere title that you're going to need to update to the latest firmware on the platform you plan to play it on in order to play it.

It does not say that you need an Xbox One to play a PC digital Play Anywhere title on PC.

You know exactly how it works, aye? Then why don't you give us a clear-cut paragraph explicitly stating an Xbox is not required to play on PC?

There isn't one because the idea is insane.

Listen.

There is not going to be a Play Anywhere SKU and a non-Play Anywhere SKU.

There is one SKU, it's a digital purchase of Forza Horizon 3. You do not need an Xbox One to buy Forza Horizon 3 on PC and play it on PC.

The idea that it would even be stated that you would need one is outlandish.

to be honest they should clarify things about that xbox anywhere thingy.

but as a costumer service, they should know the answer to this simple question no? they should brief them in that.

It's saying that if you buy a Play Anywhere title you're going to need to update to the latest firmware on the platform you plan to play it on in order to play it.

It does not say that you need an Xbox One to play a PC digital Play Anywhere title on PC.

I know, that's why I think it will be fine for pc only, the verbiage is a bit unclear for 100 percent of people and it can lead to confusion if not read carefully. But it could be taken as it says that you need the latest updates on both. Personally I think we'll be ok for pc only, otherwise the hype is just done for us pc folks.

to be honest they should clarify things about that xbox anywhere thingy.

but as a costumer service, they should know the answer to this simple question no? they should brief them in that.

But there is nothing to clarify.

It's like throwing a wrench in an engine and saying that the engine designers need to clarify why you threw the wrench.

I know, that's why I think it will be fine for pc only, the verbiage is a bit unclear for 100 percent of people and it can lead to confusion if not read carefully. But it could be taken as it says that you need the latest updates on both. Personally I think we'll be ok for pc only, otherwise the hype is just done for us pc folks.

It's not confusing.

If you want to play the game on your PC you need to be on the anniversary update which supports the digital Play Anywhere license and if you want to play on Xbox you need the anniversary update as it supports the digital Play Anywhere title. For 99.9% of these people they will already have these updates before the first Play Anywhere title launches making it so it is never a problem for them.

Nowhere do they even imply that you need to physically own an Xbox One to play the game you bought on your PC on your PC.

You're literally buying the digital game on PC but that license also happens to work on Xbox.

Those chat agents are the dumbest of the dumbest of the world , i have encouterd plenty of them from the EA chat help where i wanted to kill myself because i could not handle the level of stupidity of those people.

Im 99% positive you wont need a xbox to play it on pc , streaming a game from the xbox to pc is something different then playing a pc game on a pc.

Back