Renault drop Heidfeld for Senna for Spa

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 66 comments
Ah well... Heidfeld.. I've got 6 words for you Bayerische Motoren Werke Deutsche Tourenwagen-Meisterschaft... :D I hope.

I can't see a decent drive opening up for Heidfeld now in F1, I'd rather he went and did something else rather than scrape the bottom of the F1 team barrell,

Ohh that wouldn't be that bad or boring for Heidfeld, but the payout isn't so weet as in the F1. :) Currently some very famous faces in the DTM (and a girl!): DMT Drivers 2011

That's her car: :D

dtmmercedesw204stoddart.jpg

Here's a complete driver list: All DTM Drivers

Last edited:
Heidfeld should have been in the position to give the team questions of putting Kubica back in the car and I'm sure that was his intention but Petrov was more or less as good as him and bringing a lot more money into the team.

Sad for Heidfeld as it could be the end of his F1 career but he should have shown more promise this year especially in qualifying. Maybe they still will put him back in the car in a few races time if Senna is not doing a very good job compared to Petrov. I hope Senna does do a good job though, would be good to see the name flying high again in F1.

Hah I knew it!
This is great, I figured with the way things were going, it certainly couldn't hurt to let Bruno have a drive at Spa.
I have been looking forward to this, he deserved a drive, and next year he probably wouldn't have had the chance pending Kubica's recovery.

Almost certainly thats going to end in settlement out of court, I don't see either side feeling its worth driving those races when they are obviously at odds with one another. Nick might want to drive, but does he really want to be in a team atmosphere like that? Same for Renault, they probably don't want a cheesed off Nick in the seat.
Sadly I think we have seen the end of Nick's career. Another one to add to the list of "greatest drivers to never win a race". Its pretty frustrating to watch. I only hope he finds a good seat in another series and makes a huge impression. Even though Indycars is normally career suicide, he has got nothing to lose and I would for him to go over there and show what he's got. DTM is naturally pretty likely too

Whether Senna stays in the seat for 2011 we shall see, after Monza GP2 has finished so the obvious Grosjean rumours are about.

Sadly I think we have seen the end of Nick's career.
He should consider himself lucky he got this far. After all, his career was pretty much over at the end of 2009, and he only got a late call-up to Sauber last year when de la Rosa was dropped. Once again, his career was pretty much over, but then Kubica had his accident.

Heidfeld has confirmed he wants to take legal action to get himself back into the R31 in time for Singapore.

He seems to forget that he is in the harsh world of F1. I said before the start of the season that he needs to perform spectacularly to keep his F1 career alive. Instead, he's been fairly solid, but unspectacular. He has a considerable wealth of experience, so he may still find his way into another team. Most likely further down the grid. A bit of a shame. He'll be ruing his decision to follow team orders in Canada 2008. Had he kept Robert behind him, he'd have won the race. Maybe his career wouldn't have gone much differently from that point onwards, but at least he would have picked up the win he desired.

He still harbors hopes of becoming the Formula one world champion, but I don't ever see that happening. Perhaps he can find his niche in Indycars. I don't particularly agree that it would be career suicide, as his time at the top level is coming to an end. Perhaps he could do well at Indycars.

His only other obvious choices are to either go to DTM (stating the obvious) or try his hand at sports prototypes and aim for a move to the new FIA world endurance championship. Time will tell on whether the series can be as successful as the World Sportscar championship of old, but it could be a good opportunity nonetheless.

Excellent. I'm liking having another interesting/good driver to watch (and in the same team no less) for the remainder of the race should something happen to my favourite, let's hope that Bruno qualifies well again and has a clean race. I believe he may have finished as high as 5th if not for misjudging that corner or whatever he may have called it.

That also means that Bruno will be in the car until season's end. Plenty time to destroy that tall Russian Petrov :mischievous:

I'm guessing that's the last time we're seeing Nick in an F1 car... Unless he gets a chance once again to be in a Virgin or HRT even if Team Lotus but by then he wouldn't be able to fight for the championship. Feels sorry for him, being in the harsh world of F1.

I'm guessing the best way for him is to enter the DTM or some Indycar stuff. Perhaps the very best is to return back to LeMans for some endurance racing because his smooth and steady though aggresive when needed ability is a great skill of him. He should look into that...

That also means that Bruno will be in the car until season's end. Plenty time to destroy that tall Russian Petrov :mischievous:

Not gonna happen.

Perhaps the very best is to return back to LeMans for some endurance racing because his smooth and steady though aggresive when needed ability is a great skill of him. He should look into that...

Now would be the best time to try and establish himself in Endurance racing, with the new World Endurance Championship starting.

Hey, hey, don't doubt Bruno. Realistically he won't do it, but, this is F1, anything could happen :lol:

I think he has a good chance of doing it. Race pace last race is not a good indication due to drive through penalty and different strategy. It will be interesting to see how he compares in this early stage in terms of race pace and qualifying pace in normal conditions. If he is close to a match in terms of pace then with more experience in the car he should have the ability to edge out Petrov.

Well he outqualified Petrov in Spa, and his race pace was pretty good after his penalty. Would be interesting to see lap by lap comparison between the 2.

I think it's been said before, you can't really take fastest laps in today's day and age for much, because of the differences in fuel loads, tyre conditions, and whatever happened to the driver in the race. Nevertheless, 1.2 seconds off of Vitaly's fastest lap isn't bad.

I think it's been said before, you can't really take fastest laps in today's day and age for much, because of the differences in fuel loads, tyre conditions, and whatever happened to the driver in the race. Nevertheless, 1.2 seconds off of Vitaly's fastest lap isn't bad.
Sorry, but I think you're ignoring the reality for the sake of the fantasy again. Senna was consistently behind Petrov, and 1.2 seconds is a huge difference.

Whatever I may be doing, you have to admit, that he really didn't do all that bad. I'd be surprised if Grosjean is any better.

Whatever I may be doing, you have to admit, that he really didn't do all that bad.
If you ignore the first corner mishap, then yes - he didn't do too badly. But he certainly wasn't doing as well as you like to make out.

I've nothing against Heidfeld but I'm pleased as a viewer that this has happened. Looking forward to the next race even more. Nothing to do with the Senna name but just a promising driver getting a crack in fairly decent car. Interesting to me to see what happens.

Whatever I may be doing, you have to admit, that he really didn't do all that bad. I'd be surprised if Grosjean is any better.

You've really got some Senna-tinted specs on man.

I like Bruno Senna, but sometimes I think he never gets fairly reviewed. Sometimes people are too harsh, sometimes too lenient. Regarding Spa, Senna did a very good quali and did a disastrous race. Period. And he will need to do a lot better to deserve a seat next year. Or, indeed, to keep the seat until the end of this season.

This is what I would say of any "rookie" or "rusty" driver that would show up to race, out-qualify his team mate, and then throw it all away in a first corner crash 100% his fault.

So, this is what I have to say about Bruno Senna's Spa performance. I'm not impressed. And since I like the guy, I'd like him to impress me.

Hopefully he will keep out of trouble in Monza. A great racing driver not only needs to be quick, they also need to judge situations quickly and keep their car out of trouble. He isn't the first nor shall he be the last to outbrake himself at La Source, it is very easy to do. He'll hopefully learn from his mistake and be more cautious in the future.

I don't think he'll keep his seat beyond the end of the season anyway. I feel Grosjean or Kubica (Providing he has recovered) will take over from next season. That is unless they drop Petrov, which is very unlikely considering his performances, his existing contract and the fact he has huge sponsorship backing which rivals or even surpasses that of Senna.

Even if Kubica comes back or Grosjean is favoured by the french links with Renault, I think if Senna gets good results by the end of the season he may get a seat in another team.

People are already linking him to Barrichello's seat, cause Williams desperately needs cash and the team may think Rubens is not contributing too much for development with his experience. They are waiting to renew his contract probably waiting to see how the market goes.

A Senna in a Williams doesnt bring me good memories, but it could happen. Of course, Grosjean could also be sent to Williams if Senna makes a really strong season, as they also have Renault engines, providing Kubica doesnt come back.

Its a lot of IFs...

Back