Renault drop Heidfeld for Senna for Spa

• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 66 comments
People are already linking him to Barrichello's seat, cause Williams desperately needs cash and the team may think Rubens is not contributing too much for development with his experience. They are waiting to renew his contract probably waiting to see how the market goes.

A Senna in a Williams doesnt bring me good memories, but it could happen. Of course, Grosjean could also be sent to Williams if Senna makes a really strong season, as they also have Renault engines, providing Kubica doesnt come back.

Its a lot of IFs...

good point

I'm guessing that's the last time we're seeing Nick in an F1 car... Unless he gets a chance once again to be in a Virgin or HRT even if Team Lotus but by then he wouldn't be able to fight for the championship. Feels sorry for him, being in the harsh world of F1.

I'm guessing the best way for him is to enter the DTM or some Indycar stuff. Perhaps the very best is to return back to LeMans for some endurance racing because his smooth and steady though aggresive when needed ability is a great skill of him. He should look into that...

I have to think Heidfeld is a step up from Kovaleinen, Karthikeyan, Liuzzi, etc. I would think Virgin, Lotus (original recipe) or HRT would certainly be interested in his services.

The difference is that Heikki managed to do something Nick never did. Fair enough, Nick never quite had as good a car as Heikki.

I have to think Heidfeld is a step up from Kovaleinen, Karthikeyan, Liuzzi, etc. I would think Virgin, Lotus (original recipe) or HRT would certainly be interested in his services.

Point is though, would he be interested in them? He made it clear in 2010 that he wasn't interested in driving at the back of the grid again..he's done it so many times already.
Its easy to be forgotten again at the rear of the grid...I mean look at Barrichello and Button in 2008 or Barrichello right now. Rubens could easily win another race still or challenge the top 10 with a proper midfield car, but his reputation suffers as he keeps being landed with terrible cars. Even better look at Fisichella - without Force India's surprise resurgance at Spa 2009 he wouldn't be in the cushy Ferrari job, before that he had become forgotten again.

Its not surprising that Heidfeld isn't interested in having to fight to keep his career in F1 alive and slowly fading into obscurity with a backmarker team. I actually hope he doesn't bother and turns to Indycar - though even then he'll need to find serious sponsorship for a decent seat.

Senna has brought four new sponsors to Renault - Brazilian telecom company Embratel, oil and natural gas group OGX, personal care brand Gilette (whose logos were visible on the R31 at Spa) and pharmaceutical conglomerate Auden McKenzie.

Well that looks to me like he will be keeping his seat for next season
It doesn't mean that at all. Renault have said that Kubica is their first choice. Senna will only continue with the team if a) Kubica cannot race, and b) the team can come to terms with Senna (who is said to be head-hunted by other teams).

Back