Renault Megane Trophy Nürburgring Challenge?

• Thread starter Wudang8
  • 151 comments
Ok, I did a half dozen races with the blue anniversary version. This car only had 44 miles on it to start out. I noted first there are far less engine tuning options. I tried the three possibilities with mixed results. The slowest was max power limited back. 388 ft lbs, I think it was about 77% from memory. For me it wouldn't pull a much taller gear, but without more gear it generated more wheel spin and lost steam at higher revs. Bottom line for me was 94% limit was the best lap times.

Tonight, trying some camber settings and gearbox tuning. Graveltrap keeps me thinking! :)
I finally was able to do two races with you tonight. I was using my johnbone1 account - orange #51.
The first race was a total disaster. Two penalties, on two wheels through one complete turn and finally hitting the end of pit wall on the last lap. The only positive thing was that I still beat a couple of people.
Second race I started first and you started second and that was also the final results of the race.
After receiving my credits I was disconnected from the server before I could even save the race replay.
Hope to race against you again for more than two races.
The other day I raced against Moxitop for two races. He had a bad first race and then won the second race when he started first. He had a 1:58.9 first lap with a best lap of 1:53.9.
I watched the replay and his car really sounds different than mine. The exhaust note is deeper sounding and the car really sounds strange when shifting gears and also when he goes through the corners. If anyone has a replay please check it out and see what you think.

Haha, thats funny. I was like who's this fast orange dude I never heard of. Nice race!
Those were some messy races. A few of them I tried racing from cockpit view, even though I usually do hood view for better field of vision.

Anyways, it was some fun. I think my best with that car was a 5:52?

Hope to race again soon!

Haha, thats funny. I was like who's this fast orange dude I never heard of. Nice race!
Those were some messy races. A few of them I tried racing from cockpit view, even though I usually do hood view for better field of vision.

Anyways, it was some fun. I think my best with that car was a 5:52?

Hope to race again soon!
I had not read your post before our races and was surprised to see you using that car.
I briefly tried it about a week ago. The stock PP is higher and like you said the power tuning is limited.
I tried it in Arcade time trial and ran a 1:53.5xx which was slightly faster than my base car. However, when I tried it in a race,it was slow exiting the corners and I think my laps were in the 1:55 to 1:57 range. I looked at the torque rating and it was a lot less than my base car.
On the first lap of the first race, I was about .5 second behind you going up through the Schumacher curves and really gained on you at the exit until I decided to just use my right side tires in the left hand turn. I am sure you were slowed there by the lack of torque also.
If you have a race replay of Moxitop, please check out the sound of his car. It is probably just my imagination, but the car sounds weird to me.

Anyone else having connection issues again? I've tried multiple times over the past 2 days to get into a room and rarely make it past the Matching Complete screen.

On a different note I bought the Base Model version recently. I've only done 2 races in it so far but already it feels like it's got more potential than the Anniversary model. Stock PP is lower which means I can put more power in.

This is interesting!

Was in a session with my son-in-law, my grid showed him fine with 14 participants. His grid DID NOT show me and he had only 8 participants.
So while we were in the same session the sessions were different. PD maybe has some 'splainn' to do.

PJ, Yeah, connection issues were gone a couple days, then started up again for me as well. Even with only three little men lit up it took 4 or 5 attempts.

Didn't go on last night, fighting a bad cold and sore throat. Booooo

SCClockDR, that is interesting. Maybe they are using 1 track for multiple races at a time? Might explain why cars are glitching so much. I attempted to pass some guys who went into the sand, or appeared to, then heard some screeching and like magic there they were, in front of me again. lol

I saw something unique last night. While there is much said regarding the finishing order being messed up I've never heard or saw.
The last place DNF showed as first with the exact same time as the actual winner. Then the podium screen showed the correct results.
Small potatoes vs the tranny glitch though.

Man that tranny glitch is super annoying. Can't even justify spending much time on seasonal events because I can feel a HUGE loss of time using the stock gearbox settings. Heaven forbid you change the settings and it goes to a wild 6th gear that can't be used. lol

Tried to log on last night, gave up after 8 attempts. Only two men lit up, so it was a slow night....odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some really fast guys on tonight.
During the day it was a hackfest, with laps like 2:17, 2:01 then 1:550xx. people slam the brakes on for turn one about twice as far from the turn as I normally do. Have to adjust for that, 10 second penalties suck.

Got some good times drafting GTO_BOOS. 5:48.1xx, also ran a bunch of 1:54's, with a 1:54.00x using the white car. Which came alive at about the 300 mile mark. Finished about a second behind him each run. Passed him when he got a corner cut penalty on lap two and stayed in front of him until the final turn when I got on the curb and went wide. Oops.

Some really fast guys on tonight.
During the day it was a hackfest, with laps like 2:17, 2:01 then 1:550xx. people slam the brakes on for turn one about twice as far from the turn as I normally do. Have to adjust for that, 10 second penalties suck.

Got some good times drafting GTO_BOOS. 5:48.1xx, also ran a bunch of 1:54's, with a 1:54.00x using the white car. Which came alive at about the 300 mile mark. Finished about a second behind him each run. Passed him when he got a corner cut penalty on lap two and stayed in front of him until the final turn when I got on the curb and went wide. Oops.
Hi wedjim :), after 6 or 7 attempts and almost 30 minutes I FINALLY made it into the NBring GP yesterday late afternoon Pacific time 👍👍. Have been running this QM alot since it first was provided us and absolutely like it (not gonna say LUV! :lol:)! When I saw I had landed in a lobby with you I was happy to see someone I recognized who's posting on tha planet about this high paying race :cheers:. SCClockDR is one of my GEEZER buds but I've not seen him in that particular QM,, only the QM using the BRZ and F86. Anyway, we got to run one with you being stuck in last place in an 11 racer grid at the start, I was positioned in 4th. I believe someone tosseled you about on the first corner, I survived and was in 2nd most of the lap. I kept glancing in my mirror as we rounded the right hand corner leading onto the back straight and BINGO,, there you were - running me down like a run away freight train! As we exited the last chicane I got excited,, stabbed the throttle just a bit too soon and WAHA_LA,, spun tha car :banghead:, got hung up on the barrier and by the time I got my car headed down range had fallen to 10th (I was OK the remainder of the race, stayed away from penalty's and finished 4th). You got a good exit down the front, blew around the guy in 1st and it was ADIOS,, GOOD BY, SEE YA'S L8R as you blazed to a very good 5:56 race!! I'm sure you would have run a quicker 3 laps but that mess at the first corner, first lap got in the way. The next race you were once again stuck in last place, I was in 4th. I survived the first corner, got past the guys in front of me at the 2nd and 3rd corners, saw that you had already moved around the pack and were blazing toward me as we approached turn 4 or 5,, I was planning the point I would move to the right, get the heck out of your way and see just how close I could be to you at the finish and BAM - I WAS DISCO'D :mad: :banghead:!! You know what I was saying at that point 🤬 🤬 🤬 LOL!!

I'm no where near as quick as you - never will be - be but das OK and I'm happy to have run a best of 5:58 in this QM on a few occassions. I have a pretty good tune that I've gleaned from those you and others have shared and the car is manageable for me. I've won quite a few but those wins usually were a result of doing my best to hold a good line, stay out of trouble and HOPE the fast guys have some sort of issue. Most of the time I finish near or on the podium and the purse has pushed me to 50M more than once as I burn credits buying all the 20M cars. Got all of them now, presently sitting at just over 40M and will run the event just enough to replace the 50M pot one more time and will be done. It was fun - the few laps we had and I hope we get a chance to run together again! As we used to say,, KEEP ON TRUCK'N!! :cheers: :gtpflag:

Sorry iI missed you @Daduce1947. I've been visiting family in Florida. They have a spare PS3 go I've been living in the Renault Sport QM ~106,000 credits with my various player ID's using the controller vs my G27. My best with the sticks is 5:55.xxx (rare) usually 5:58 & up. We wil return home Tuesday & see how this tune goes on the wheel.
There is lots going I on here so not a good place to host any Geezer rooms. Once taxes are done things wil return to normal for a month or so.
I did spot you @wedjim blistering the pavement. Got to share a couple of pm's with Radford, he stated he invested a ton of time developing his car but did not offer to share. Can't say I blame him either.

BTW @Daduce1947 there are never enough cars.:D

Sorry iI missed you @Daduce1947. I've been visiting family in Florida. They have a spare PS3 go I've been living in the Renault Sport QM ~106,000 credits with my various player ID's using the controller vs my G27. My best with the sticks is 5:55.xxx (rare) usually 5:58 & up. We wil return home Tuesday & see how this tune goes on the wheel.
There is lots going I on here so not a good place to host any Geezer rooms. Once taxes are done things wil return to normal for a month or so.
I did spot you @wedjim blistering the pavement. Got to share a couple of pm's with Radford, he stated he invested a ton of time developing his car but did not offer to share. Can't say I blame him either.

BTW @Daduce1947 there are never enough cars.:D
Thanks Doc, have as good a time as you can while there buddy, not alot going on with the GEEZERS at the moment. STEWY has started hosting a Saturday race and last week we had quite a few racers join - 12 or so I think. You've likely seen his posts regarding that race. Yes,, you are right about the car count, thre's never too many!! I'm sitting at 421, many are collecting dust but I NEVER sell one,, ya never know when you might want to drive a "dusty" one that was forgotten or overlooked!!

@Daduce1947, glad we got a few laps in a QM! I have a blast in them 99% of the time. Anytime you need a tuning tip or anything, just message me on there and I'll help if I can. I am competitive by nature(aren't we all?) but I also like to help others since its makes for good competition! 421 cars? Wow, I thought I had a pile!

I'm up to 361 cars now, so it's not so much the credits anymore...I'm mostly in there to try and find out how guys like Magic-turn and RajhCore are going 4-6 seconds faster, lol.

I'm still using the controller, so I'll blame that. But I did get a 5:48.070 yesterday!

Of course I also had my all time worst lap, a 2:51.xxx when while leading a car was stopped. After the chicane leading to the keyhole just sitting mid track. I went into the sand all the way to the wall, then turned around to try and push him out of the way, haha.

Thanks @wedjim , whith your setup!!! DS3 Auto, TCS 1, ABS 1.

2015-03-30 14.03.14.jpg

Thanks @wedjim , whith your setup!!! DS3 Auto, TCS 1, ABS 1.

View attachment 340840

Nice work! I'm usually in the 5:50-5:52 range depending on where on the grid I start for the first lap! So that is a solid run! Try moving the ride height difference around to see if it suits you even more!
Some good options I found are;
8mm spread:
80/72
78/70
76/68
5mm spread:
70/65
75/70
73/68

It seems a slightly higher front setting makes the car a little more aggressive, about an 8mm difference. The 5mm spread allows for harder driving though.

I always use TC1 and ABS1, but with manual so I can shift up to lessen wheelpin as needed.

Always a compromise. :)

I raced with a couple of Italians today, I Raced them hard but fair. Even got a couple friend requests for it! Cool.

At one point I hit one Italian competitor coming out of the first chicane when I went for the inside after he got wide. I shoved him into the sand, oops. So I waited for him to get going. At first it seemed he didn't know what I was up to, then off he went as I got tossed about by the cars that caught us, lol. He won, I got 4th...but it's worth it since we had about 6 really clean races!

Fun stuff today. Had to log out and buy another half dozen cars!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, I really appreciate all your comments on this forum and especially the setup tips. But, I get very frustrated with this game sometimes. There are great days when I come from last place (17th) to ghost through the field to win the race. Then, there are other days when I barely get to mid pack after getting bashed from every side. You may have seen my black #3 car (memories of Earnhardt senior) and I (bcm9259) am sitting here in my office filled with dusty old rally trophies and auto cross plaques not able to understand why I cannot win. I do not understand why when another car slams into the rear of my car, I get a Collision penalty? I also have trouble understanding why after hours of practice and testing every parameter of car set up and doing many, many laps to tune my car to it's fastest possible times, I get on-line and some cars are SO MUCH faster than me. I am sliding through almost every turn and yet they seem to pass me with ease? It's not on the straights, my gear ratios have been tuned to max revs on each straight. I carry 3 KG so I can get the HP up to 406 and that works in acceleration. Sometimes, I take the ballast out (and adjust the power) and that does not help overall lap times. The best I can do is a 1:56.xxx during a race. So, I suspect there must be a cheat to allow better performance? Also, can someone tell me how to play back a saved race?

Last edited:
I have to say, I really appreciate all your comments on this forum and especially the setup tips. But, I get very frustrated with this game sometimes. There are great days when I come from last place (17th) to ghost through the field to win the race. Then, there are other days when I barely get to mid pack after getting bashed from every side. You may have seen my black #3 car (memories of Earnhardt senior) and I (bcm9259) am sitting here in my office filled with dusty old rally trophies and auto cross plaques not able to understand why I cannot win. I do not understand why when another car slams into the rear of my car, I get a Collision penalty? I also have trouble understanding why after hours of practice and testing every parameter of car set up and doing many, many laps to tune my car to it's fastest possible times, I get on-line and some cars are SO MUCH faster than me. I am sliding through almost every turn and yet they seem to pass me with ease? It's not on the straights, my gear ratios have been tuned to max revs on each straight. I carry 3 KG so I can get the HP up to 406 and that works in acceleration. Sometimes, I take the ballast out (and adjust the power) and that does not help overall lap times. The best I can do is a 1:56.xxx during a race. So, I suspect there must be a cheat to allow better performance? Also, can someone tell me how to play back a saved race?

I know it's frustrating trying to find a way to save a little more time. I've been beaten by racers who slowly pull away even though I'm feeling like I'm flying!
Most of the time savings I found was from carrying speed in the turns, without over slowing. For example, in turn 1, 3, 5, 7 and 8(guessing the numbers right now), I sometimes rear end the guys running 1:57-1:58's because they hit their brakes, while all I do is downshift, or lift off the throttle a little and turn in.
My fastest lap with all the barricades in place is a 1:54.5. With the barricades pushed away my best is a 1:53.7.

You may also notice the fast cars intentionally going wide in a few turns to set up the corner for carrying more speed as well?

Keep in mind that there are two other factors possibly slowing you down. Excessive sliding is slower. You only want a momentary sqeal and glowing outside tire, then it should cool right off before your even out of the turn. Lastly, excessive wheel spin exiting the turns is slower, so up shift early if your spinning the rear wheels. I pull away from 99% of racers doing this in turn 2, 4 and the last turn onto the straight.

Hope this helps.

@neckstrap the thing with quick match is that there are a vast range of abilities taking part from the beginner, through fast all the way to alien...Who you get matched with obviously has an impact to how the race is going to go!!

Penalties do feel random, when I race I usually pick one up in the first few turns, due to my lack of knowledge on how they are awarded and putting myself in a position where it is possible to get them :( In some ways it makes the rest of the race a little more entertaining fighting through the field and scaring the hell out of people :) rather than checking out and running alone.

Car setup is pretty important here, this thread is actually a pretty cool record of @wedjim developing his car, remember this isn't real life and there are some things you can do that really shouldn't work, raised front ride height for example! It may also be better to develop your car online than off, people report some differences, I am generally a bit faster offline.

Post your setup I'd be happy to try it out and give you some feedback.

I think I have several ghosts / races saved I can attach or dropbox if you would like to have a look see at how not to go round the Nurburgring ;)

Still wanting a new one make challenge in QM, this one has run for far too long now :( I think I relish more the challenge of getting a car working for me than racing it :lol:

Wedjim,

Thanks for your reply. You may be right, I am sliding the car constantly and I know in real life that's not fast. So, I will work on it.

Graveltrap,

I pretty much use Wedjim's setup except for the gear ratios. The system keeps screwing them up. So, I worked on a setup using the basic 5.000 rear end gear. It seems really quick to the first turn and goes just over the red line at the end of the 2 long straights. It does require some extra shifts though:

The other changes are to balance the front and rear with both sway bars at 6 and both Cambers set to -0.7 degrees.

I was in the Air Force stationed in England years ago and trained in Formula Fords at the Jim Russell School at Silverstone. I have competed in lot of car events since I moved to California and have won an SCCA Solo2 Championship in my Cobra replica, so I feel like I should be able to handle this little Renault. I spent a lot of time learning each braking point, shift point and turn in point around the Nurburgring track. I have to keep telling myself, "It's NOT real! Truth is, we wouldn't be nearly so aggressive if we had to pay for all the body damage, would we?

The car felt remarkable familiar to me!! I just altered camber and ARB to what you posted on the wedjim's setup (the one I quoted a page or so back). I didn't add ballast I know my engine build works ;) no oil change, stage 1 engine tuning, intake tuning, power limited to 94.9%. This gives 407BHP and 47Kgfm Torque.

This is run offline so bear that in mind!

With your gear setup I was able to nail a 1:54.135, but it was hard work! My laps were inconsistent and I felt like I needed another gear down the pit straight :embarrassed: I wouldn't like to have to draft for a pass!

I altered FD to 4.880, not a huge amount, but it was enough to get me closer to the braking point for the first corner. The car also was much more consistent and driveable for me. I was able to put in mid to low 1:54's without problem. Then a surprise, my fastest ever lap round the Nurburgring GP in the Trophy!! 1:53.896 :D Remember this is still offline...

Attached is a Zip file containing both the 1:54.135 and 1:53.896 so you can watch back the laps or chase ghosts on your PS3.

Oh BTW I use a T300RS wheel bolted to an Omega wheel stand.

Attachments

• Megane_Trophy.zip
    733.2 KB · Views: 26
Sweetness! Set a new best total and best lap today! Racing with some fast Germans and Brits on my tail helped! (No drafting for me!)
5:47.9 and a 1:53.56x

Weird part is it didn't feel dramatically faster. Just less tiny bobbles, a good 3rd place grid start and a 1:59.3xx first lap.

I found some speed by sticking with 8mm higher in front and a little more spread on the springs. Where I was staying below a 1.5 spread, even though the car gets a little edgier it has a bit more corner speed at 1.56-1.58 difference. ie; 9.80 ft and 11.36 rear.

Last edited:
Any of you guys ever get banged around over and over, then when you are banging doors with someone for the lead, going both ways... and they finally get the short end of it, they stop and wait for you to take you out while leading next lap?
Had it happen today with psycon(?) or something like that. Then he messaged me and bragged about how I know why he did it. As if the three 5 second penalities he handed out to me earlier didn't matter?
Even better, when I passed him for the lead cleanly a few races later, he took me out. Geez. Gotta love a hypocrite.

Still, 8 million credits today! lol

This one is getting boring and terribly predictable though.

I also have to learn not to follow someone running 1:57's an entire lap, trying not to hit them. Because guaranteed EVERYTIME when I make a clean pass, right away I get door bumped for a 5 second penalty. rofl

Today was interesting. Racing against a Canadian named x5312, who wasn't fast enough so spent his effort giving out brake checks. Even when I moved out of the racing line, he was using his rear view mirror to get in front of me and others so he could hand out penalties. I guess that's a strategy for someone running 6:08-6:24 times, rather then figuring out how to go faster.

Also found out 500 cars is the limit...so I'll be maxed out tomorrow for cars and credits.

The main reason for this post is I did more testing of torque vs HP ratings. I find my fastest laps are in the 338-355 foot lbs area. I tried all the way up to 388 ft lbs, but went slower and noticed the car no longer reached the rev limiter in 5th and 6th gear. This tells me the peak torque is higher, but the average torque, especially after the limiter point is lower.

Keep this in mind when tuning your car for best lap times.

This was the best Seasonal/QM that I've experienced so far in GT6, fun car, good racing and a generous CR payout.

Hopefully the Scirocco event is just as good.

Back