RennSport Wheel Stand

• Thread starter TheMoose
  • 83 comments
Hi everyone. I'm seeing some questions about the shifter adapter and now that my adapter has (finally) arrived, it's time to update my first review on Youtube. This HD video includes set up and some final thoughts on the Rennsport Wheel Stand after using it for a month or so, as well as some very unexceptional PiP racing to show the rigidity of the setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XPhrxID8k

One thing - for people in Canada - this shifter adapter is quite expensive. Not only is it $25 USD, it also cost me about $23 in brokerage fees due to the way Fanatec shipped it with UPS. It also took about 10 days to arrive, crossing the border three times before it came to me. Seriously. Something to consider if your budget is tight. I also found it quite wasteful for Fanatec to charge $25 for this and then ship me a bunch of parts (for their Porsche wheel) that I obviously do not need. For the G25, all you need is one metal bar that clearly would not cost as much to fabricate as the other, more complicated parts for the Porsche Wheel. If you know someone who can fabricate metal parts in a welding shop, with a drill press for example, I would recommend a DIY solution because the Fanatec part is pretty simple (4 holes in one piece of thick metal). Figuring out the dimensions should be pretty easy just by measuring the four holes on your shifter and the wheel.

Also, one tip for people who find that their pedals are sliding around: as others have suggested it doesn't take much to keep the pedals in place because they already have rubber on the bottom. For my part, after an hour or so the pedals would start to push the Rennsport's oval rubber foot rests off the end of the base of the stand. So - instead of resorting to clamps or Fanatec's $$$ solution - I resorted to...crazy glue. I popped off those oval rubber footrests, put some crazy glue in and re-attached them to the base of the stand. Now I just race with the pedals right up against the oval rubber footrests, and it's not going anywhere. Not for everyone, but it's working for me. I don't know why anyone would ever want to take the rubber off anyway, so now it's on there permanently.

Hi everyone. I'm seeing some questions about the shifter adapter and now that my adapter has (finally) arrived, it's time to update my first review on Youtube. This HD video includes set up and some final thoughts on the Rennsport Wheel Stand after using it for a month or so, as well as some very unexceptional PiP racing to show the rigidity of the setup.

One thing - for people in Canada - this shifter adapter is quite expensive. Not only is it $25 USD, it also cost me about $23 in brokerage fees due to the way Fanatec shipped it with UPS. It also took about 10 days to arrive, crossing the border three times before it came to me. Seriously. Something to consider if your budget is tight. I also found it quite wasteful for Fanatec to charge $25 for this and then ship me a bunch of parts (for their Porsche wheel) that I obviously do not need. For the G25, all you need is one metal bar that clearly would not cost as much to fabricate as the other, more complicated parts for the Porsche Wheel. If you know someone who can fabricate metal parts in a welding shop, with a drill press for example, I would recommend a DIY solution because the Fanatec part is pretty simple (4 holes in one piece of thick metal). Figuring out the dimensions should be pretty easy just by measuring the four holes on your shifter and the wheel.

Also, one tip for people who find that their pedals are sliding around: as others have suggested it doesn't take much to keep the pedals in place because they already have rubber on the bottom. For my part, after an hour or so the pedals would start to push the Rennsport's oval rubber foot rests off the end of the base of the stand. So - instead of resorting to clamps or Fanatec's $$$ solution - I resorted to...crazy glue. I popped off those oval rubber footrests, put some crazy glue in and re-attached them to the base of the stand. Now I just race with the pedals right up against the oval rubber footrests, and it's not going anywhere. Not for everyone, but it's working for me. I don't know why anyone would ever want to take the rubber off anyway, so now it's on there permanently.

Good video and review.....why didn't you go clutch......

For some reason I don't use the clutch in Prologue. You're right I really should. I do use it in GTR2, which I just re-installed the other day. Maybe I'll post something up on that after I practise more. Figures the first comment would be about my driving...:ouch:

Hello hastyp.

Good review: now people can evaluate the stand with real playing, in an unusual high video quality (I wish all tube videos had that quality... :)).

Last edited:
Thanks for the great video hastyp! I would like to refund you the total cost of the shifter adapter. Please get in contact with me.

Your solution for the pedal stopper is good but not for smaller people. If you want a DIY solution, there is also the possibility to drill holes into the oval tubes and insert some bolts.

Do you have a scanner or copy machine? Perhaps you want to put the shifter adapter plate on the scanner and make a 1:1 copy which can be posted here for the guys who are on a low budget and have some mechanic skills.

Thanks for the great video hastyp! I would like to refund you the total cost of the shifter adapter. Please get in contact with me.

Your solution for the pedal stopper is good but not for smaller people. If you want a DIY solution, there is also the possibility to drill holes into the oval tubes and insert some bolts.

Do you have a scanner or copy machine? Perhaps you want to put the shifter adapter plate on the scanner and make a 1:1 copy which can be posted here for the guys who are on a low budget and have some mechanic skills.

Thats what you call customer service......I'm impressed for real.

Hey that's great. I'm blown away. You guys made a good product and I'm driving way more now that I have it.

Sorry I don't have a scanner, I'll have to leave that up to someone else. I agree, it would be good to put up on the website.

PM sent.

Great review, did you have to pay any custom duty/brokerage fees for the RennSport Wheel Stand buying in to Canada?

The duty, if any, would be very small. The trouble with importing into Canada using a commercial carrier, like UPS, is that there is a minimum brokerage fee, regardless of how small the actual value of the product is. Fanatec would be better off shipping small items to Canada via the US mail.

The actual product looks good - I will consider it as an alternative to the small TV, table-top & chair set-up I currently use. The trouble with a full cockpit, is it takes up a lot of room & is unwieldy to move around, which is the reason many people, even people who own wheels, to do not end up using a wheel to race with.

I commend Fanatec on their strategy of offering a variety of products & parts, even parts that can be used with their competitors' products. Unfortunately, Logitech takes the opposite approach, adopting an "all-or-nothing" product line, & "if something-breaks-replace-the-whole-thing" strategy, which may minimize their internal stocking & organisational issues, but seems like a very wasteful solution.

Tildasunburnsou, brokerage fees plus gst worked out to over $80 for the wheelstand/g25 attachment/pedal stopper.

I just bought a RennSport Wheel Stand to use with my Logitech Pro Force GT wheel and pedals. Everything seems to work well, but I find it a little difficult to locate the 90 degree and folded flat position holes in the tube that allow you to tighten the stand in those positions. The 90 degree hole seems to locate the upright of the stand around 90 degrees, but not exactly at 90 degrees (it is visually off by a little) and can loosen if you don't tighten it very tight. The only way I seem to be able to find the hidden holes is to slightly tighten the screw and feel it fall into the hole as you rock it back and forth and then tighten it further. Any suggestions of how to find the 90 degree and folded holes and how to keep the 90 degree position tight without abusing the knob that tightens the upright?

So I love using my RennSport Wheel Stand/PWTS combo on my couch, but also use it in the office to use with my PC or when the living room is occupied. The issue is that my office chair (like most) is on wheels. The ClubSport pedals can require some force, especially the brake (the way I like it tuned).

I was trying all sorts of things to keep the chair from sliding back, when I remembered a trick a friend of mine uses. He's an accomplished drummer, and needed a way to keep his drum kit from walking and to have his drum throne placed consistently during setup. So he tied his throne to the kick drum. problem solved! I decided to rip off his idea and took an old belt to secure the center column of my chair to the center column of the Wheel Stand. It's simple, obvious, and works really well.

So I love using my RennSport Wheel Stand/PWTS combo on my couch, but also use it in the office to use with my PC or when the living room is occupied. The issue is that my office chair (like most) is on wheels. The ClubSport pedals can require some force, especially the brake (the way I like it tuned).

I was trying all sorts of things to keep the chair from sliding back, when I remembered a trick a friend of mine uses. He's an accomplished drummer, and needed a way to keep his drum kit from walking and to have his drum throne placed consistently during setup. So he tied his throne to the kick drum. problem solved! I decided to rip off his idea and took an old belt to secure the center column of my chair to the center column of the Wheel Stand. It's simple, obvious, and works really well.

Thats awesome!

I just bought a RennSport Wheel Stand to use with my Logitech Pro Force GT wheel and pedals. Everything seems to work well, but I find it a little difficult to locate the 90 degree and folded flat position holes in the tube that allow you to tighten the stand in those positions. The 90 degree hole seems to locate the upright of the stand around 90 degrees, but not exactly at 90 degrees (it is visually off by a little) and can loosen if you don't tighten it very tight. The only way I seem to be able to find the hidden holes is to slightly tighten the screw and feel it fall into the hole as you rock it back and forth and then tighten it further. Any suggestions of how to find the 90 degree and folded holes and how to keep the 90 degree position tight without abusing the knob that tightens the upright?

Why don't you lock it into position, then paint hash marks on the tube and the collar? Then fold it into the other position, tighten, and repeat. Should make things easier in the future. Maybe Fanatec should do that at the factory on future revisions. I should drop them a line.

This is from the following thread "Another Fanatec Wheel Arrives! (https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112348)"

I thought I should move it here as this is specific to the RennSport Wheel Stand:

I asked this question in the thread:

Quick question regarding the Rennsport Stand...

No matter how hard or tight I turn the knob at the bottom of the stand while playing I notice that the column will move back and forth slightly. Is this normal behaviour? I've tightened with all my strength but slowly but surely the whole thing moves. It doesn't move to the point of it folding up on itself but I'd like to make it more stationary. Any idea if this is just normal play?

And here is a reply I received...
Is it the brand new version of the stand that is supposed to allow you some adjustment of the vertical angle, or is the older style that only locks into two positions: vertical and folded?

I have the older style and it locks into position very firmly. There's a little bit vibration, but there's no actual slop where the vertical support and base meet. I just make sure to roughly hand tighten the knob, jiggle a bit, and then tighten some more, repeating until there's no slop in the locking mechanism.

Hopefully 12thgear checks this thread out...

Anyways, the stand that I have is the V1 but with the height adjustment modification (Allan key quick release rather than a knob on the vertical column).

So when I tighten it the vertical column seems to be fixed and solid however after a lap or two I can have my feet on the base and the column will move freely. Like I said before it doesn't move to the point of folding on itself but you can feel the movement while racing. One weird thing is if I loosen the knob I can move it forward and backward however it doesn't move all the way (i.e. 180 degrees). It seems to be stopped by something so it only moves a few degrees until I loosen the knob more and then it can be folded 180 degrees. It's as if the column is allowed to move a bit but something is preventing it from moving all the way unless the knob is unscrewed almost completely.

From what I remember when I was putting the stand together there should be a hole on the base column that aligns with the hole on the vertical column and the screw/bolt screws in both of these to secure the vertical column to the base horizontal column. Could it be that the base column's hole is not big enough to accept the bigger screw/bolt (sounds weird).

Like I said I've tightened that knob as much as possible (I'll tighten it so hard my hand will briefly hurt) and it still moves. Is this right or should I try and do that wiggle and tighten move again until the screw/bolt catches the other hole because it's clearly not doing this.

It sounds like you have the same version of the stand I have. You are correct that the knob that screws into the sleeve and collar at the bottom should line up with the hole in the base. I'd check with a flashlight to make sure you can actually see the hole line up with the collar when you have the wheel stand in the vertical and open position. The hole size shouldn't be a problem, since the locking knob drives a bolt that is tapered to a point, so once it's screwed in tight it shouldn't move at all.

I'm trying to think if it's possible to assemble the wheel stand incorrectly and the only two things I can think of are either the base is upside down, or perhaps the upright/sleeve slid on to the base 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

Anyways, the stand that I have is the V1 but with the height adjustment modification (Allan key quick release rather than a knob on the vertical column).

From what I remember when I was putting the stand together there should be a hole on the base column that aligns with the hole on the vertical column and the screw/bolt screws in both of these to secure the vertical column to the base horizontal column. Could it be that the base column's hole is not big enough to accept the bigger screw/bolt (sounds weird).

Like I said I've tightened that knob as much as possible (I'll tighten it so hard my hand will briefly hurt) and it still moves. Is this right or should I try and do that wiggle and tighten move again until the screw/bolt catches the other hole because it's clearly not doing this.

Hi, yep as in another thread on here, you can get hole in bottom horizontal on the wrong side ie not where adjusting screw is located.. If so put bottom horizontal tube in other way around.

Cheers BOB

ps if hole OK, could adapt, as in one of my recent posts.

Im having issues with this as well, i had way too much play from that vert column. I ended up drilling the holes bigger thinking it the knob would screw straight through and hold it tighter, I WAS WRONG now i have twice the movement i had before. So I ended up inserting the horizontal column in the opposite direction (when the holes dont line up), now the knob tightens and there is no movement

Has anyone used this stand with the DFGT? Their site doesn't have any pictures of the stand without the Porsche wheel attached, and I'd like to see just what my DFGT would be latching onto with this stand. They say it is compatible, but I'd like to hear some experienced reviews about this stand with my wheel.

Back