Report: Sony closing PSN store for PSP, PS3, PS VitaPS4 

• Thread starter tankuroded
  • 19 comments
This is no big surprise given the decision to remove those games consoles games from the website back in 2020.

The stores on PS3 and PSVita have not been updated with any content or price changes for a long time but I guess this is a timely reminder for any content that I have downloaded/still to purchase on PS3 I should complete before the store officially closes.

Hopefully there will be an update to the system software to allow us to still access the library because it would be a shame to loose total access to the collection of games I have bought.

It's going to be sad if there are any digital only games in those stores. I'm going to have to check out the Vita store and see if there is anything that interests me before that goes away in August.

Digital is the future~~

Does anyone else see the irony with this?

This thread speculates that you will not be able to buy ANY digital games for PS3, PSP or Vita after August.

After which time, the ONLY way you will be able to buy a game for these systems will be a second hand physical copy, as Digital will literally cease to exist as an option..

I do think you will be able to redownload what you have already bought though.

Last edited:
This thread speculates that you will not be able to buy ANY digital games for PS3, PSP or Vita after August.

After which time, the ONLY way you will be able to buy a game for these systems will be a second hand physical copy, as Digital will literally cease to exist as an option.

Yes, that was the point of my sarcasm. The statement is in such stark contrast to what the thread is about that I did not feel the need to put it in quotes in order to convey the meaning.

Truth be told, even if the story turns out not to be real, it will happen rather sooner than later. I'm worrying less about the Vita games since a decent number of them are cross play compatible with PS4/PS5 and can also be bought on their respective store but losing the PS3 games really hurts. Even if you don't care at all about those old ass PSN games, the constantly growing number of digital-only games bodes a grim prospect for video game preservation (though you could argue that some of these games wouldn't have come out at all had it not been for the digital storefront). The worst part about it is that this is only the beginning. The PS3 only heralded the transition towards digital releases. It was on PS4 and Vita where publishers really went to town with it. Taking away access to those games without providing a backup option for the small but dedicated following some of them have is virtually asking for piracy. The fate of the PSP Go is a grim reminder for what is going to happen to the PS5 Digital Edition in about 15 years from now.

Last edited:
Hopefully that doesn't extend to game updates. Not being able to play the latest versions of hundreds of games in the future would suck. It was/is always the problem with the release now, patch later method that devs have relied on since PS3. It works fine at the time but once those updates eventually become unavailable, and they're not released on disc, then all those games fall backwards in completeness.

Looks like I'll be investing in some PS3 content before July then. It's a shame but at least you can still access your owned content

Well I'm gonna be making a few purchases before the end of June.

At least we have some 'decent notice' and good that we can still download previously bought content, I am guessing we will see some of change to the OS on PS3 etc before this since I do not see a Download List option available other than in the store at the moment or have I missed something in the PS3 somewhere?

Wait will i not be able to download my games anymore?

Thats not on if true.
Read before panicking.

but at least you can still access your owned content

good that we can still download previously bought content,

upload_2021-3-31_11-5-54.png

Well it seems that although you can download your games for the time being you cant even download the patches for those games anymore.

Pretty crappy move by sony if im honest.

Well it seems that although you can download your games for the time being you cant even download the patches for those games anymore.

Pretty crappy move by sony if im honest.

This is an issue that's been talked about elsewhere, it is not actually something Sony intentionally caused but a number of other factors (including website redesign) have affected this and given their lack of available support staff and the forthcoming closure for PS3/Vita is not something they will probably prioritise.

It will cause a big issue for some games if they are not able to install the Day 1 patch but I guess we'll see if they fix the issue before the closure.

Last edited:
Back