Reporting Cheaters in SPORTS Mode

what about Jann Mardenborough? Lucas Ordonez?
Both had to go through several levels of extensive real-life-learning-racecraft-and-how-to-drive-in-real-cars vetting and training before they were signed to compete in anything.

Both had to go through several levels of extensive real-life-learning-racecraft-and-how-to-drive-in-real-cars vetting and training before they were signed to compete in anything.

but it all started from their racing sim at home, didnt it?

You're overlooking the possibility that it's simply a correlation. To use the examples given elsewhere it this thread, some current QBs probably played NFL games before beginning their pro careers and some special ops probably played COD.

I couldnt really tell how they were doing it at pit entrance, happened to me twice in a race. Same guy both times at Brands Hatch.

I had a guy the other day who used that glitch/cheated their way to a couple of wins.
Not sure why people are not calling it cheating ? These people use a glitch to cheat others out of their rightful results !!
Also not sure why people do this, they know they didn't win properly, everyone around them knows they didn't win properly, and when this glitch eventually gets fixed these people are going to have DR they cannot actually keep up with.
Again these people are playing this as a ratings game not a racing game :(

yes... but...
They didn't simply do well at the game, then get a contract to drive real cars.
Many who did well at the game were gathered and tested with real cars to see who actually had real talent, vs those who were good at a game. Then the chosen one was sent through rigorous training and testing program... then more testing and trials... eventually a contract.
If the game was a true indicator, they would have simply taken the fastest gamer and wrote the contract.
I wonder what would happen if Nissan plucked an already accomplished and proven amateur racer, provided the upfront $$$ to allow the same training/testing/trials, towards someone who already had proven talent... I wonder...
Publicity... just saying.

Not taking anything away from what those gents did with the opportunity they were given. They pounced, committed, and proved.

If the game were an indicator of true talent, then, all those gathered would have ended up with contracts, but, where are they? Like us they are in their living room, gaming.

Can anybody on the track do this?

yes... but...
They didn't simply do well at the game, then get a contract to drive real cars.
Many who did well at the game were gathered and tested with real cars to see who actually had real talent, vs those who were good at a game. Then the chosen one was sent through rigorous training and testing program... then more testing and trials... eventually a contract.
If the game was a true indicator, they would have simply taken the fastest gamer and wrote the contract.
I wonder what would happen if Nissan plucked an already accomplished and proven amateur racer, provided the upfront $$$ to allow the same training/testing/trials, towards someone who already had proven talent... I wonder...
Publicity... just saying.

Not taking anything away from what those gents did with the opportunity they were given. They pounced, committed, and proved.

If the game were an indicator of true talent, then, all those gathered would have ended up with contracts, but, where are they? Like us they are in their living room, gaming.
I believe it takes a lot more than good motoric skills and reflexes to become a pro racing driver. The physicall strain is just a part of the equation, and then there is the part where you risk your own neck trying to shave those thents of a second of your lap time. That is not a job for an average Joe.

Last edited by a moderator:
My post nor the post I replied to was directed at the person who started the conversation.
Then your post wasn't particularly relevant to the conversation about whether "If you have a legitimate SS rating, you have REAL skills that you can REALLY use in SCCA, NASA, FIA, etc." I'm afraid.

I thought using Gran Turismo to scout drivers was a great idea. Real life racing is very cost prohibitive, so there are probably quite a few people who are talented enough to be professional drivers if they had the opportunity. Why wouldn't you use a very popular game to search for that talent? Generally speaking, professional drivers still have a limited amount of track time and use simulators to train and develop cars. Of course the simulators that a Formula 1 team use are going to be different to Gran Turismo, but the concepts are the same.

Of course it's not reasonable to say that just because you are one of the best at Gran Turismo, that you will be one of the best drivers in real life. I'd be willing to put money that the top 1% of GT Sport players would make better drivers than the bottom 80% So to me, it is reasonable to say that doing well in GT Sport can at least be used as a qualifier for finding professional drivers.

Whoops, this thread was about cheating..... You know what they say, "In racing, there are cheaters and losers.":lol:

Again these people are playing this as a ratings game not a racing game :(
Yes good point, that means hopefully they'll fade away soon though as they clearly have no interest in learning the game and just want the trophies, once achieved they'll never be back.

Then your post wasn't particularly relevant to the conversation about whether "If you have a legitimate SS rating, you have REAL skills that you can REALLY use in SCCA, NASA, FIA, etc." I'm afraid.
It doesn't have to be relevant to that conversation because that's not what the conversation was about anymore. That was clearly a dumb statement and the discussion had since moved onto sim racing being the starting point for Ordonez and Mardenborough and how GT uses the console platform as a way of scouting talent. Idk why you're being so dense. No one on this page has said anything about what that guy said except you.

If you actually think that sitting on your sofa in front of your tv with a controller playing a video game gives you the actual skills to be a racer within SCCA, FIA or any type of real life pro racing then I guess that that playing Call of Duty on veteran level is giving you the same real life skills to be a top operator in a special forces elite unit.

I won the Superbowl playing quarterback at Madden and I cannot understand for the life of me where is my multi million dollar real world contract from the football teams that should be beating my door down to retain my services. They did see my mad skills in that game, right?

Thanks I needed a chuckle in my day!

No, I sit in an open wheeler racing seat with a thrustmaster T300 setup. And YES, it absolutely DOES make me a better race car driver. I've been racing spec miata for the past 3 years, moving to spec racer fords next season. I also raced motocross pretty much my entire life, and I played division 1 college football. So trust me when I say this: playing Madden will not make you a better football player. Playing MX vs ATV Unleashed will not make you a better motocross racer. Gran Turismo absolutely WILL make you a better race car driver.

There is no athleticism involved in auto racing whatsoever. Sure, it helps if you are generally in good shape, but literally the only difference between sitting in a race car and sitting behind a T300 is the g forces, and the very real physical consequences of crashing. Aside from that, the actual SKILL of auto racing is no different out on the track than it is on a racing sim. Everything from figuring out line selections, to finding passing opportunities, to developing consistency in your laps.... all the things that go into being a great race car driver are almost entirely mental.

what about Jann Mardenborough? Lucas Ordonez?

Exactly. Perfect example. Two people who had literally NO EXPERIENCE OTHER THAN SITTING IN FRONT OF THEIR TV and now they're racing LMP1's at Le Mans. How many people do you see in the NFL who were recruited from playing Madden?

No, I sit in an open wheeler racing seat with a thrustmaster T300 setup. And YES, it absolutely DOES make me a better race car driver. I've been racing spec miata for the past 3 years, moving to spec racer fords next season. I also raced motocross pretty much my entire life, and I played division 1 college football. So trust me when I say this: playing Madden will not make you a better football player. Playing MX vs ATV Unleashed will not make you a better motocross racer. Gran Turismo absolutely WILL make you a better race car driver.

There is no athleticism involved in auto racing whatsoever. Sure, it helps if you are generally in good shape, but literally the only difference between sitting in a race car and sitting behind a T300 is the g forces, and the very real physical consequences of crashing. Aside from that, the actual SKILL of auto racing is no different out on the track than it is on a racing sim. Everything from figuring out line selections, to finding passing opportunities, to developing consistency in your laps.... all the things that go into being a great race car driver are almost entirely mental.

Exactly. Perfect example. Two people who had literally NO EXPERIENCE OTHER THAN SITTING IN FRONT OF THEIR TV and now they're racing LMP1's at Le Mans. How many people do you see in the NFL who were recruited from playing Madden?

Coming from someone that has about 17 years of real life track experience my opinion is the only thing playing a racing video game that is available to the masses on a console gaming machine will generally help the average person is that of learning a tracks layout and learning a proper racing line or how best to string together different sections of track to maintain speed and momentum.

My experience is from 2 wheels and I will flat out say that sitting in an open wheeler racing seat in your moms basement will not prepare you for the perception of speed of running 165 mph or how fast things happen at those speeds. A console racing game does a poor job at giving the perception of speed that would mimic that experienced in real life.

It will not prepare you to actually develop and understand where you are as far as reaching or exceeding maximum grip levels in the real world where such understanding can be a difference in a good day or serious injury or even death of you or someone else on the same track as yourself.
Again without the seat of the pants feel and actual change in the feedback of the controls of beginning to lose traction a video game gives poor actual information of how hard you are pushing the tires available grip.

Not to mention how exaggerated control inputs and directions that you can get away with in the video game would never in the real world be close to what you could do and not crash.

Sitting in your moms basement in your open wheel racing seat will not prepare you to be both mentally prepared and physically capable for racing in an environment that can easily exceed 100 degrees fahrenheit or 38 degrees celsius for several hours in the summer and remain fully alert and focused and physically ready to wrestle a vehicle around a 3.5 mile circuit lap after lap within a few tenths of each laps time.

Driving a video game does not prepare you for how a vehicle will react to ripples in a track surface or the actual differences in the physics of grip between going downhill or uphill in the real world.

A video game does not accurately teach you control inputs or control feedback with your Thrustmaster wheel and pedal set up that you will feel through the controls of an actual race vehicle.

And no it does not teach you the feelings of the g forces which those feelings and interpreting what they are telling you play a major part in actually racing a real vehicle versus playing a game in your moms basement.

So while you say you are racing in a beginner spec miata class on who knows what kind of circuit perhaps your real world experience has not allowed you to run a fast enough speed or experience spinning up and losing the back end out of a fairly high speed corner to properly realize just how much different the feedback between a game and real life racing is.

But I will tell you braking from 165 mph down to 60 at the end of a long straight the game does not at all accurately duplicate all of the different input senses you feel or the same feeling of where you are on grip level between making or blowing the corner.

So perhaps you should quit making statements such as,
"but literally the only difference between sitting in a race car and sitting behind a T300 is the g forces, and the very real physical consequences of crashing."
as that statement alone shows just how little you know or understand about racing in the real world versus sitting in your moms basement playing a game.
The skill of racing a video game is very different from racing in the real world and if you fail to understand that then I question the validity of your statement on whether you have ever actually been on a track in real life at all.

Hi Folks.

Like someone said it before.

Glitches like this one „can“ happen in a complex software like this.

BUT: the fact that PD is not able to fix it is after several months…..really strange. Or is it so that Pd don´t want it to fix ?!?!?!?!

Oh, wait a moment. Maybe it´s more important to create new rims and scape locations… that reminds me to GT6 and the camber-scenario…. Umpf…

FACT is: Players who use such kind of glitch ARE cheaters. Nothing else.

I think most of the players in SportMode are fair players, searching for cool racing with other human beings. And then there ist he other „type“ of player. For him only the win counts – no matter the cost….And with that style they destroy the race of those, who wanna race a little bit in virtual reality after a hard day of work.

To say it with words from of of the greatest sci-fi movies:

That was irrational of you. Not to mention unsportsmanlike.

I personally would call that glitching/cheating/unsportsman like. Kinda like glitching over the fence and sitting up on the hill in resistance fall of man. You glitch over the fence and nobody can see you and you just sit the and snipe everyone that get close to your flag. They do not know where it came from. If you do stuff like this with the ai, who cares play your game how you want. But, its like the guy down the street from my friend when in high school would never shut up about how fast his dads corvette was and that it would kick all of our cars asses. It has this much power, handling, its one of the best sports cars ever made, blah,blah, blah... Until you get your head out of a magazine, reading, stats, or just spewing the BS that some garage hack tuners hp told you it made, I dont believe a word you say. That stuff is way to easy to measure. When we finally convinced his dad to actually take it to the drag strip in ran a 16.2sec 1/4mile. Can you say slower than my moms 4 hole mustang. Pathetic, we were mean and laughed right at them and told them to stay away from real cars and keep it at a bragging/false hope event like a car show. That is what old junk is good for. People that glitch against others (real people) are pathetic. I will admit to running a long endurance race one time on gt3 and went waay wide on the last lap and got passed. I did not want to run it again so I punted the ai car in the last corner, but if it was a real person I would have just taken the 2nd that I deserved. Maybe, if this is a common occurance, someone should start a pin.d up thread calling these people out. I have never seen it happen, but I have been in races where I have seen lap times that are impossible, so maybe that was it. I just saw the lap times though. PD should fix this.

If you actually think that sitting on your sofa in front of your tv with a controller playing a video game gives you the actual skills to be a racer within SCCA, FIA or any type of real life pro racing then I guess that that playing Call of Duty on veteran level is giving you the same real life skills to be a top operator in a special forces elite unit.

I won the Superbowl playing quarterback at Madden and I cannot understand for the life of me where is my multi million dollar real world contract from the football teams that should be beating my door down to retain my services. They did see my mad skills in that game, right?

Thanks I needed a chuckle in my day!

Why don't you ask Lucas Ordóñez or Jann Mardenborough about that??? Or any of the other GT Academy graduates for that matter. GT has legitimately been a realistic route to top level motorsport for years now.....

Apologies, I know this has already been stated, for the record I agree there must've been a correlation between actual driving talent and skill in Gran Turismo, but berating a random dude online just because you assume he has no skill in a real life car isn't the right way of showing that.

Last edited:
Why don't you ask Lucas Ordóñez or Jann Mardenborough about that??? Or any of the other GT Academy graduates for that matter. GT has legitimately been a realistic route to top level motorsport for years now.....

As has already been pointed out that the GTA series was a promotion and the winners were taken from a pool that showed through performance within the game that they had a good understanding of real world concepts which would be used in a real life racing environment.

As part of that promotion they were provided with extensive real world instruction in proper real world racecraft by qualified racing instructors.

They again were also provided real world instruction and testing behind the wheel of real world race cars by again very qualified certified instructors.

Those two did take full advantage of the opportunity and the thousands of dollars worth of free real world training that winning the GTA promotion within the game provided to them.

Neither of those two individuals got out of the playseat and just hopped in a race car raced at a professional pace in a real world car without any prior real world experience or instruction because they played a video game well.

Yes those two had a natural talent and again took advantage of the free training that was provided by winning the competition.
But you could have 5000 more different people win a similar competition and not one would transition to a real world racing career just because they were good at a game.

A person with a serious interest in real life racing that had never played a video game but understood racing concepts through watching and studying real world races that was given the exact same real world instruction and seat time that the winners of GTA were given would have an equal chance of success if their natural talent was on the same level.

Thousands of dollars worth of FREE schooling and real world instruction help quite a bit and getting it free was about the same as winning a scholarship at a major university and again taking full advantage of the opportunity of the education given and translating such instruction to a real world career.

So again anyone that thinks playing a game and being good at such game automatically translates into those same skills being as good in the real world environments of those skills is in my opinion living in the fantasy virtual world they are playing games in.

Apologies, I know this has already been stated, for the record I agree there must've been a correlation between actual driving talent and skill in Gran Turismo, but berating a random dude online just because you assume he has no skill in a real life car isn't the right way of showing that

When a poster decides to post such a statement as "If you have a legitimate SS rating, you have REAL skills that you can REALLY use in SCCA, NASA, FIA, etc." concerning playing a video game then such a statement in the real world outside of moms basement or "benchracing" with your 14 year old buddies is not berating just showing how silly the statement actually is.

There was a topic around here somewhere, so allow me to get back on to it...
  • I came across a cheater online a few days ago.
  • I looked through various menus and found no way to report said player specifically for cheating.
  • There were several options for reporting a player based on the comments they make (or their livery choice), but none specifically referring to cheating or exploitation of glitches (which in a competitive environment is cheating).
  • This player was also quite offensive when people called him out in Text Chat about his cheating, so I reported one of the comments. Sony's reporting system came back 2 days later and said "we found nothing here that warrants further action".
Perhaps there are some options on the PSN side should I look up a player that way, but the user section of PSN was down at the time of this incident so I couldn't report him there either.

It seems to me that players can only be punished for what they say and not what they do, so unless exploits get patched out we're stuck with them.

There was a topic around here somewhere, so allow me to get back on to it...
  • I came across a cheater online a few days ago.
  • I looked through various menus and found no way to report said player specifically for cheating.
  • There were several options for reporting a player based on the comments they make (or their livery choice), but none specifically referring to cheating or exploitation of glitches (which in a competitive environment is cheating).
  • This player was also quite offensive when people called him out in Text Chat about his cheating, so I reported one of the comments. Sony's reporting system came back 2 days later and said "we found nothing here that warrants further action".
Perhaps there are some options on the PSN side should I look up a player that way, but the user section of PSN was down at the time of this incident so I couldn't report him there either.

It seems to me that players can only be punished for what they say and not what they do, so unless exploits get patched out we're stuck with them.
Thanks for answering my question PJTierny, so there is no real option to explicitely report cheaters/glitcher whatever you want to call them. Well may they be happy with their unjustful wins.

Thanks for answering my question PJTierny, so there is no real option to explicitely report cheaters/glitcher whatever you want to call them. Well may they be happy with their unjustful wins.
Fortunately, the glitch that people used to cheat wins in Sport Mode (the “pit glitch”) got dealt with today, and I’m not aware of any other advantageous exploits that can be used online.

Fortunately, the glitch that people used to cheat wins in Sport Mode (the “pit glitch”) got dealt with today, and I’m not aware of any other advantageous exploits that can be used online.
I came across someone who used the tyre refresh glitch to get ahead of me at bathurst and did a sub 25 second pit stop. Wtf

I came across someone who used the tyre refresh glitch to get ahead of me at bathurst and did a sub 25 second pit stop. Wtf

There are many, many idiots out there who think they are good because they either "game" the game or are willing to block/push you off track. They are not kidding anyone, the only person they are "gaming" is themselves. More power to them if it makes them feel good about themselves. I cant imagine how miserable their lives must be if this is what they need to do to feel good about themselves, it almost (but not quite) makes a person feel a little sorry for them. Good job "gamer" you won again!!!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Back