Resolution of GT6: Is it still Full HD?

• Thread starter skingg
  • 61 comments
skingg-R
Well, not really full HD since GT5 renders 1280 x 1080 native, down from what GT:HD had (1440 x 1080) but I wonder if GT6 has dropped the resolution down to the standard 720p resolution to keep a better and more stable frame rate on the PS3. And there is no mention of what anti aliasing they will be utilising. I hope they dropped quincunx and MSAA and go for MLAA since God of War 3/Ascension is using it and that game is buttery smooth around the edges and really crisp.

Just curious unless it was announced somewhere and I missed it.

I don't think so since Kaz made a statement that GT6' engine is much more optimised.

There still may be a possibility that GT6 runs in 1080x1080 upscaled to fullhd.

I never understood how the game could have a native non-widescreen resolution, but I'm clearly no expert in the field and don't pretend to understand how it works. But are you saying GT5 is originally 1440 x 1080 (or 1280 x 1080) and then it's rendered anamorphically to 1920 pixels across? Cause otherwise I don't understand how that makes sense.

I never understood how the game could have a native non-widescreen resolution, but I'm clearly no expert in the field and don't pretend to understand how it works. But are you saying GT5 is originally 1440 x 1080 (or 1280 x 1080) and then it's rendered anamorphically to 1920 pixels across? Cause otherwise I don't understand how that makes sense.

Very simple thing. Scene is scalled 2/3 width and then upscaled to right format.

GT4's "1080i" mode was even crazier.

It has non-square pixels (pixel aspect ratio of 1.5:1), not square pixels as with 1920x1080 (PAR 1:1).

I think it'll be 720p native as to put in all the visual goodies while keeping a stable framerate.

Kaz has mentioned that gt6 will use the same hd resolution as gt5 which is internally rendered at 1280x1080 and is horizontally upscaled and output at 1920x1080. Whilst it does not internally render at native 1080p it is still double the pixles of other games using 720p. Look through some of Kazs most recent interviews on gtplanet you'll find it somewhere.

Basically, Polyphony took a 4:3 resolution, stretched its width to 16:9, and corrected the Field of View so that the onscreen images weren't flat and wide (circles look like ovals, etc.) from the stretching.

Basically, Polyphony took a 4:3 resolution, stretched its width to 16:9, and corrected the Field of View so that the onscreen images weren't flat and wide (circles look like ovals, etc.) from the stretching.

No, that isn't what they did.

I'm genuinely curious how they upscaled the width and kept the FoV looking normal. This whole pixel aspect ratio thing isn't really sinking in.

Perhaps this will help:

5RxGOmN.png

Because if you viewed GT5 at 1280x1080 it would look squashed. You were sort of right in that the image is stretched but no correction is needed because of the non-square pixels that are meant to be dispayed like that.

http://www.sharbor.com/tutorials/1844.html

So it starts out skinny in 4:3 and stretched to normal in 16:9.... I think I understand it a bit better now. Thanks for the help. I was about to throw my hands up and chalk it up to magic. 👍

So it starts out skinny in 4:3 and stretched to normal in 16:9.... I think I understand it a bit better now. Thanks for the help. I was about to throw my hands up and chalk it up to magic. 👍

Basically, yes, as opposed to it looking normal at 1280x1080 it looks normal once stretched because of the pixel shape.

I hope so. I'd really trade off resolution over improved graphics quality. 1080p on such hardware is plain marketing choice. (Whoa, look at us, we're full hd. Xbox sucks.)

I hope so. I'd really trade off resolution over improved graphics quality. 1080p on such hardware is plain marketing choice. (Whoa, look at us, we're full hd. Xbox sucks.)

Very mature. 1080p on next gen consoles is not a marketing choice at all.

Very mature. 1080p on next gen consoles is not a marketing choice at all.

We're talking about 7-years-old PS3 here. What do you mean with "next gen"? I'm just saying that I would be happy should the game run at "only" 720p but with a better frame rate, better edges, less jaggies, better shadows, better reflections, better anti-aliasing. Also, on screens below 40", most people would hardly notice the difference between 720 and 1080, while the hardware DOES notice it pretty much...

I would personally rather 720p as I can't really tell the difference, and the PS3 isn't powerful enough to do 1080p justice anyways. In my opinion. Ideally, I'd have 720p @ 30fps, but that's a whole other messy argument.

The E3 demo looks pretty smooth (6 cars), i got a bad feeling with the frame rate and graphic quality issues when the final release (16 cars) .

Well, that's depending on how many cars on track at once are the "standard" in GT6. In GT5 16 was possible, but extremely rare offline. We should expect better than GT5's performance, in any case.

I would personally rather 720p as I can't really tell the difference, and the PS3 isn't powerful enough to do 1080p justice anyways. In my opinion. Ideally, I'd have 720p @ 30fps, but that's a whole other messy argument.
On my TV 1080 looks noticeably cleaner and sharper. Perhaps it helps if I describe it as also being less nervous?
Can I ask what for a TV you have? Maybe that's the reason, or maybe it really is a highly individual and/or subjective matter.

Well, that's depending on how many cars on track at once are the "standard" in GT6. In GT5 16 was possible, but extremely rare offline. We should expect better than GT5's performance, in any case.

Extremely rare 0.o each race in arcade mode was 16 cars ..

Eunos_Cosmo

You're joking right? You can't be serious about GT6 running at only 30fps

Back