Reverse Entry Explanation

Is this useful?

• Total voters
United States
Sacramento California
FT_Ant
Hopefully this isnt taken in a negative manner.

Lately (and for a while) there has been many confusions and missunderstandings of what a "True Reverse Entry" is. I know many of you may think reverse entrys mean nothing because they are not allowed in competitions and doesnt mean you are an all around good drifter and can tandem well and yadi yadi ya. Problem is that some people dont know what exactly has to be done to be considered "legit" and are spreading the wrong idea, and when the people with the wrong idea come across the people with the right idea...Debates start.

I know many and almost all people reffer to Kawabata Masato's "Perfect Drift" as a visual to what a reverse entry should look like

Problem is many people dont know what is that they get frowned upon in their attempt of a "Reverse Entry", and this is where I made this video...

If you havent watched already, this video points out the three main problems that are to occur when somebody is attempting a "Reverse Entry". I wish for this video always to be looked back on for assurance and resolve uncertaincy, debates, & even to help educate. I made this video out of my own useless time to help what many see is wrong :lol:

Other tips to help learn are mainly to keep tuning one car and get comfortable with it, get familiar of what it can and cant do. Keep experimenting with different setup adjustments. Its not good to constantly change cars because all handle differently and you will most likely not get a feel for what you like without fine tuning. Learning a reverse entry takes time and is all about how you like and are able to control your car at high angle and speed. Hope this is usefull for all learners and hopefully clears up any and all missconceptions :)

Please save the hate : (

Happy Bluntified?

Last edited:
Very helpful Ant i can now say i know what a proper reverse entry is, there are so many ways that it can go wrong i had no idea. 👍

First up, good informative video, got most of the main points in there...

However, the main reason I (and others) frown upon peoples attempts at reverse entries is over use of the handbrake (or no ABS brakes). People fly into the corner and hold the handbrake to lock the car at whatever angle they want. I find it much more rewarding (and aesthetically pleasing) to see a reverse entry where the driver precisely controls how much angle they have using steering and throttle inputs, rather than just holding the handbrake all the way in.

Anyway, once again, nice video!

i'm quite sure i had done some clarification regarding reverse entry as well. regardless your car is 180degrees backward going into the corner, if you cannot maintain your peak angle until you've passed the apex. that is considered understeering.

simply due to the fact the front is losing more traction than the rear and resulting the nose of the car getting pulled back into a lower drift angle

Very good explanation Ant! It was brilliant of you to show the propper way to do one, as well as the most common ways to mess one up (and I have to say, the most impressive part of the video was how you were able to purposely mimic the mistakes that can be made during a reverse entry attempt...well done).

In my eyes, I look at drifting like any other judged action sport (like skateboarding or snowboarding for example). By that I mean that every driver has a bag of tricks that they use in order to complete the most impressive run. I consider a "reverse entry" to be one of those tricks, and therefore don't like t when people frown upon them, or say "they have no place in comps". WRONG! They have no place in the tandem portion of comps...but in qualifying, I say go nuts (eg Mike Essa at Atlanta!!)

First up, good informative video, got most of the main points in there...

However, the main reason I (and others) frown upon peoples attempts at reverse entries is over use of the handbrake (or no ABS brakes). People fly into the corner and hold the handbrake to lock the car at whatever angle they want. I find it much more rewarding (and aesthetically pleasing) to see a reverse entry where the driver precisely controls how much angle they have using steering and throttle inputs, rather than just holding the handbrake all the way in.

Anyway, once again, nice video!

I agree and disagree with this.

I agree that a reverse entry is much sexier if it is done without the handbrake...it looks way cooler, but more importantly (for me at least), I get a much more satisfying feeling as a driver when I execute one without the handbrake.

However, going back to the snowboarding analogy, I consider a reverse entry with no handbrake to be the epitome of perfection for that "trick". Not every attempt is going to be perfect, in which case the handbrake can be used as a crutch to at least salvage something out of the attempt.

The handbrake is a great learning tool when learning how to do reverse entries.

And lastly, there are certain locations, where, when attempting a reverse entry, the handbrake is necessary. The best example i can think of is Deep Forest T1. Yes, you can totally do a reverse entry with no handbrake here...but if you are trying to do one with a "Saito style" jump innitiation off the top of the hill, I think you need the handbrake just to make it to the corner. If you can show me someone getting sideways air off that hill, and making it all the way to the apex of that corner, WITHOUT using the handbrake, I will be truly impressed.

doing a proper backward entry on any corner less than OR 90 degrees almost does not make sense.

your make a car to maintain 91degrees+ while a corner is 90degrees can only mean you have a terrible exit.

I agree and disagree with this.

I agree that a reverse entry is much sexier if it is done without the handbrake...it looks way cooler, but more importantly (for me at least), I get a much more satisfying feeling as a driver when I execute one without the handbrake.

However, going back to the snowboarding analogy, I consider a reverse entry with no handbrake to be the epitome of perfection for that "trick". Not every attempt is going to be perfect, in which case the handbrake can be used as a crutch to at least salvage something out of the attempt.

The handbrake is a great learning tool when learning how to do reverse entries.

And lastly, there are certain locations, where, when attempting a reverse entry, the handbrake is necessary. The best example i can think of is Deep Forest T1. Yes, you can totally do a reverse entry with no handbrake here...but if you are trying to do one with a "Saito style" jump innitiation off the top of the hill, I think you need the handbrake just to make it to the corner. If you can show me someone getting sideways air off that hill, and making it all the way to the apex of that corner, WITHOUT using the handbrake, I will be truly impressed.
I see what you mean, but if you want to master the reverse entry, you have to learn to not use the handbrake...

Yes I understand what you are saying Knight, and it makes total sense, far as I'm concerned D1GP and FD, the amount of e-brake/brake you use is looked at very closely and you can be deducted in qualifying, and It just feels alot better when you can make your car capabile of maintaing the edge of no control w/o anything to assist you. I dont use the e-brake unless its some superfragelistic mega long unrealistic entry then most likely the ebrake is thrown down, which most people like to do the superbrwlfbvw long entries now days :lol: (I just used the e-brake in bad examples because I didnt know how to fail :P)

And :lol: at Sai's last post

doing a proper backward entry on any corner less than OR 90 degrees almost does not make sense.

your make a car to maintain 91degrees+ while a corner is 90degrees can only mean you have a terrible exit.

No, because when you drift you are always at a sharper angle than the turn of the corner.

When you drift even the slightest corner, your nose points towards the inside apex, then returns to pointing forwards as you leave the corner.

With a reverse entry, you essentially want to continue the cars 90' rotation further throught the corner, reaching sometimes over 180 degrees total rotation before you begin regaining grip. (For example Tsukuba Turn 1, in a high angle drift your car will often be pointing back towards the pit area as you begin rotating anti-clockwise for the s-bends)

Comprende?

Last edited:
No, because when you drift you are always at a sharper angle than the turn of the corner.

When you drift even the slightest corner, your nose points towards the inside apex, then returns to pointing forwards as you leave the corner.

With a reverse entry, you essentially want to continue the cars 90' rotation further throught the corner, reaching over 180 degrees total rotation before you begin regaining grip. (For example Tsukuba Turn 1, in a high angle drift your car will often be pointing back towards the pit area as you begin rotating anti-clockwise for the s-bends)

Comprende?

Half of your post made no sense and the other half was wrong...

L2L, how ignorant.

I will take some pictures to demonstrate what I was saying.

Some people.... :/

EDIT:
Screw it, cba to argue a point I was trying to help someone with.

Last edited:

With a reverse entry, you essentially want to continue the cars 90' rotation further throught the corner, reaching sometimes over 180 degrees total rotation before you begin regaining grip. (For example Tsukuba Turn 1, in a high angle drift your car will often be pointing back towards the pit area as you begin rotating anti-clockwise for the s-bends)

Comprende?
What Sai means is:
Last corner of tsukuba, you pull a backwards entry (say like 100 degrees) only to rotate back to about 45 degrees to actually make it round the corner... It's pointless and looks bad.

What Sai means is:
Last corner of tsukuba, you pull a backwards entry (say like 100 degrees) only to rotate back to about 45 degrees to actually make it round the corner... It's pointless and looks bad.

Yeh, but the Idea is (even on a 90 degree turn) you enter the corner with over 90 angle, either hold that or increase it till the end of the corner, then return to face forwards once you are through the corner, you just don't want to be straightening as you come towards the apex which many people are seen doing.

Depends on the speed you enter at that T1 corner, but I can initiate my drift before the top of the hill and not rip the handbrake and still do a reverse entry drift.

Here is the video, I shot it over a year ago and I'm still confident that I didn't touch the handbrake.

Honestly that corner comes down to the car you use and the amount of horsepower you got running on that car. Also, people shouldn't be afraid of going off the track when doing their reverse entry, dirt drops and using the curb isn't gonna hurt your angle.

Honestly on the whole handbrake thing, I don't mind people doing reverse entries using the handbrake as long as they don't hold onto it throughout the corner.

Last edited:
That video is batty as all getout, hard to tell whether e-brake was used or not due to size and camera position but still very nice.

Really nice entry Stav. I'll say, I'm impressed if you really didn't use the handbrake (hard to tell in vid, but I'll take your word for it). Only downside of that entry was you kind of overshot the preferred line (as described in ant's vid)..but still, very well done.

The video was somewhat helpful, but mastering the reverse entry will only come with practice. The only thing is that I have a slightly different technique to the one highlighted in the video.

Because the video explains everything. But my interpetation of a reverse entry is the nose aiming more towards the reverse way of the track upon entering drift. This could be 91 degrees (measuring from the straight before the turn whilst driving straight towards turn) or maybe for full ridiculousness all the way to 180 degrees (although i think this is not possible in realistic circumstances). But in all fairness I am not such an expert and i dont think i could ever master such an technique.

And sorry for me not putting much effort in my reply but the video is enough explanation in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back