Reverse Entry Explanation

Is this useful?

• Total voters
Really nice entry Stav. I'll say, I'm impressed if you really didn't use the handbrake (hard to tell in vid, but I'll take your word for it). Only downside of that entry was you kind of overshot the preferred line (as described in ant's vid)..but still, very well done.

Unfortunately I did overshoot the line but that's ultimately because of the length of the car, plus for the fact that I got barely any grip on CH's.

No, because when you drift you are always at a sharper angle than the turn of the corner.

When you drift even the slightest corner, your nose points towards the inside apex, then returns to pointing forwards as you leave the corner.

With a reverse entry, you essentially want to continue the cars 90' rotation further throught the corner, reaching sometimes over 180 degrees total rotation before you begin regaining grip. (For example Tsukuba Turn 1, in a high angle drift your car will often be pointing back towards the pit area as you begin rotating anti-clockwise for the s-bends)

Comprende?

what i'm saying is at apex point the maximum angle should be no more than the angle to line up with the corner exit to obtain a perfect balanced entry/exit. unless there you are setting up for the corner after that in the opposite direction.

using Tsukuba T1, it does makes sense to go just slightly over the overall rotation over the T1 hairpin to setup for a feint into the coming S turn.

aside from that my main concern is mainly towards corners that are 90degs or less, doing a 120deg reverse entry into T1 of R246 will never get an optimal exit.

Last edited:
what i'm saying is at apex point the maximum angle should be no more than the angle to line up with the corner exit to obtain a perfect balanced entry/exit. unless there you are setting up for the corner after that in the opposite direction.

using Tsukuba T1, it does makes sense to go just slightly over the overall rotation over the T1 hairpin to setup for a feint into the coming S turn.

aside from that my main concern is mainly towards corners that are 90degs or less, doing a 120deg reverse entry into T1 of R246 will never get an optimal exit.

I'm pretty sure I understand what Sai is saying, and it makes good sense to me. Getting over 90' of angle on a corner that is 90' degrees or less will kill your exit speed out of that corner.

T1 at R246 is a good example of where a reverse entry doesn't really work. However, I think there are some situations where doing a reverse entry on a less than 90' corner can work. The best example I can think of is Autumn Ring Reverse. I love trying to pull consecutive reverse entries on the first two corners of this track.

But like Sai said, the only reason it really works is because when I carry massive angle through the first corner, I can use it to set up for the second.

It is far from the fastest way through this section, but speed isn't always my concern. It is hella fun though :)

I'm pretty sure I understand what Sai is saying, and it makes good sense to me. Getting over 90' of angle on a corner that is 90' degrees or less will kill your exit speed out of that corner.

T1 at R246 is a good example of where a reverse entry doesn't really work. However, I think there are some situations where doing a reverse entry on a less than 90' corner can work. The best example I can think of is Autumn Ring Reverse. I love trying to pull consecutive reverse entries on the first two corners of this track.

But like Sai said, the only reason it really works is because when I carry massive angle through the first corner, I can use it to set up for the second.

It is far from the fastest way through this section, but speed isn't always my concern. It is hella fun though :)

So to make it short, going over a turns actual degree of rotation will lead to bad exits. If you rotate your car past 90 degrees on a 90 degree turn, you will not be facing the straight away and unless you are setting up for a next turn and that is not the ideal entry because of how bad it will effect your exit speed...

I just watched that Stavingo's video (page 1) in fullscreen and I could see the rear wheels spinning all the way down, so I'm pretty sure he didn't use any e-brake.

not sure why people are so concerned about using the ebrake. ebrake is just another tool like your brakes. proper usage leads to more spectacular drifts, further initial point resulting longer sideways hangtime. this can often help initiating turns 25-50m further than not using it. madrid T1 is a good example, where it can initiate at 150m+ and stay sideways until the turn with the use of ebrake.

some corners are too far apart to be linked together and handbrake is once again a tool that can make it happen at times. a prime example is grand valley T4 to T5 hairpin just before the "d1 section"

where as improper usage includes, angle adjustment with handbrake, failed left and right transition, etc. anything that has "correction" spring into mind.

not sure why people are so concerned about using the ebrake. ebrake is just another tool like your brakes. proper usage leads to more spectacular drifts, further initial point resulting longer sideways hangtime. this can often help initiating turns 25-50m further than not using it. madrid T1 is a good example, where it can initiate at 150m+ and stay sideways until the turn with the use of ebrake.

some corners are too far apart to be linked together and handbrake is once again a tool that can make it happen at times. a prime example is grand valley T4 to T5 hairpin just before the "d1 section"

where as improper usage includes, angle adjustment with handbrake, failed left and right transition, etc. anything that has "correction" spring into mind.

LOL, write a book why dont'cha. But seriously guys, Sai is right, the handbrake isn't frowned upon when using reverse entries and doing reverse entries without using the handbrake doesn't make you cooler, just more inconsistent.

Last edited:
Like Ant said, you completely straightened after that angle you had, you should carry at least most of that angle through the turn until the apex. So I'm sorry to say that is a bad example.

Back