Review of Gran Turismo 1

• Thread starter MacBaby
  • 6 comments
Damn I love this game. Watching it brought it alllllllllll back to me. The unrealstic scream of the Toyota Supra, the distinctive engine note of the Impreza WRX STi (trying to sound like the boxer engine), the cars bouncing over curbs and then bouncing half way down the straights as well.....

The start up intro still gets me every time - when the music halts for that brief moment when the hard rev and launch of the car noise punctuates the intro - I love it. And the reviewer was right - the menu's were incredibly simple. The licence test were hard (that R33 GT-R on Trial Mountain was PlayStation Rage inducing. The controller went flying across the room more than once with me on that one.....)

What a golden game. Truly landmark. It did to generic driving games what Colin McRae Rally 1 did to V-Rally. Smashed them all into oblivion.

After playing GT1 for many years, I thought Supras in later games (and in real life when I finally saw one) sounded crap :lol:. Seriously, that hwoooouuuu whine is just epic. And I believe they toned down the RX7's rotary whine as well, it used to be one of my favourite engine sounds. And also the Viper sounds amazing. Unrealistic, but amazing. Thank god the NSX still sounds somewhat similar in later games though. Nothing beats that V6 scream (save for Lambo's V12).

One other thing that stood out for me was the menu music. The dealership tunes certainly made me like techno/trance as the music of choice when driving fast :D.

The start up intro still gets me every time - when the music halts for that brief moment when the hard rev and launch of the car noise punctuates the intro - I love it.

YES!!!. I also love it when the camera is rolling slowly over the track (going over numbers) and it stops to focus on the SO...which really says "Sony Computer Entertainment Inc Presents". Then there's a whole bunch of scenes that flash by....cars and car-names. Gives me shivers to this day!

Last edited:
Back