Reviews From The Red Valley: #7 Team Shmo Mini COOPER S '05

United States
Massachusetts
llClaude_Speedll
BlazingSol05
3fswn.png
Welcome to Reviews From The Red Valley, where we (Dylans1o, VTiRoj and myself) push cars to their limits and review each and every nook and cranny of the car. Feel free to request a car to be reviewed, and we'll make sure we do our best to make it a reality!

Upcoming Reviews:
dylans1o: RKM Enzo GT
VtiRoj: ??? (on vacation)
ZDUPH: N/A

Keep Sending In Those Requests!! :sly:

Last edited:
REVIEW #1: THE OPEL/VAUXHALL CALIBRA SUPER TOURING CAR '94

Dff7v.jpg

Ok, what we've got here is what looks to be a riced out german POS sedan, rated at almost 500HP and at a lean 1050Kg. I decided to try this car and see what true potential it has to offer.

I decided to try it out on the 'Ring in it's Nordschleife conversion, and I have to say, this car is a beast! By cranking up the aerodynamics and tuning the car, I was able to keep the car firmly planted through the corners, going much faster than I normally should. I was impressed when I churned out a 6:29:831 on Nordschleife. This car has near-F1 handling, great acceleration thanks to its 4WD, and a staggering 192MPH top speed to back it up. Overall, I wasn't bored one bit while driving this car. In conclusion, if you ever see it in the UCD, or in a later update in the OCD, do yourself a favor and pick it up and try it out. You won't be disappointed.

FINAL RATING: 10/10

Great i'll link it to RVR Tuners when I can also do you want me to work on a Logo?
Also I should see if Roj wants to help us with reviewing :P

Great i'll link it to RVR Tuners when I can also do you want me to work on a Logo?

If you'd like, you can work on a logo. And yeah, try and get VTiRoj to help us.

Send in those requests people! Don't hesitate to do so!

REVIEW #2 LION'S DEN PERFORMANCE'S CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE PREDATOR EDITION '69

tsXq7.jpg

Ah, the 1969 Corvette Convertible, a timeless classic full of power, great looks, and speed. However, today this Corvette is forgotten, thanks to it's outdated top speed and boring looks. Lion's Den Performance thought this was wrong, and bought one of these collectibles to tune and transform into a track-day head-turner. Enter the Corvette Convertible Predator Edition, a 600HP tire-fryer with performance stats that will blow you away. We at RVR decided to try this beast of a tune on our Corvette Convertible and see if it can crack the magic 1:30 on world-famous Laguna Seca.

PVDyl.jpg

Here we were at Laguna Seca, world-famous for it's unique Corkscrew corner that trips up many drivers, from rookies to legends. I stamped on the pedal and the Corvette launched off the line faster than anything I've ever driven. Leaving a 2nd-Gear burnout behind us, we continued on into Andrettis Hairpin.
0LOhn.jpg

Just for fun, we kicked out the 'Vette's rear-end and watched as a storm of clouds engulfed the back of the Corvette. This Corvette is not messing around when it comes to pulling off precise drifts. On into Turn 3.
1fGoy.jpg

Suddenly we felt this 'Vette go from a sidewinder into a gentle giant, hugging onto the inside curb as we were pulled around the corner at 80+MPH. Another corner down! Onto the next corner, Turn 4.
4eWoI.jpg

Again, like Turn 3, this Vette hugged the race line as we were pulled around the corner at 110+MPH. I realize that this whole time I was driving with all assists except ABS turned off. This means this thing is controllable even without assists! The transmission doesn't hesitate to shift up, as we flew down the straight and into Turn 5.
U27TD.jpg

Heading into Turn 5, I can feel the tires gripping the road like flies on sticky tape. This Corvette won't go down without fighting these corners. Fortunately for us, we didn't have to fight the 'Vette.
izCic.jpg

Entering Turn 6 and onto the Rahal Straight, I remember many cars tend to slide off into the sandtraps on this turn. In mid-thought, I later found myself perfectly straight heading down the Rahal Straight. I though to myself 'Wow. LDP must've spent a lot of time perfecting this tune, because I haven't seen one problem with this car yet.' And now...onto the corner that everyone despises; The Corkscrew.
PEcVX.jpg

Sweat began to build up in my Fire suit and my visor began to fog up from the heat coming off my face. I gulped and proceeded to launch the 'Vette through the daring and dangerous corner. I felt a strong drop, as if I've fallen from a third story window. I feel alot of vibration from the tires, as I'm thinking 'Oh boy, there goes a classic car, destroyed by the unforgiving Corkscrew.' I open my eyes to find out, I've cleared the Corkscrew!!
Yxgtt.jpg

Onto the Rainey Curve
xBD7s.jpg

My heart was still pounding as the 'Vette went through the Rainey Curve. I still couldn't believe I actually cleared the Corkscrew without any sort of trouble. I cleared this corner no problem, and I continued onto Turn 10.
iJFor.jpg

Nothing to say about this corner, except the 'Vette wins another battle against Laguna Seca. Finally I come up to the last corner, Turn 11.
qOpVZ.jpg

Oops, I accidentally apply too much throttle, and backend goes sideways. However, thanks to the Limited-Slip Differential, the Corvette takes no time to straighten out, as we head up to the finish line.
hrBvM.jpg

Wow. What a blast that was. This car was absolutely great to drive. And the best part? I nailed a time of 1:27:031! We loaded up the Corvette and headed back home.

CLOSING COMMENTS: This car was definitely much different than what I expected. Lion's Den Performance did a fantastic job of reviving this forgotten classic from the dead, and transforming it into an Auto geeks dream ride.

FINAL RATING: 10/10

Don't worry, I won't be biased when I review my own cars.

And yeah, I'll have a look at that Supra, and the review should be up within an hour.

Go on then. :P

Also that Corvette looks hot. :drool:

Oh, so are you taking part? If you are, first car to be reviewed is………the Toyota Prius :D

Oh, so are you taking part? If you are, first car to be reviewed is………the Toyota Prius :D

I was going to review that anyway. Even though it's an awful car, it has some quirks that would be interesting to write about. :P

Oh dear god……………no pictures of that hunk of crap please……and I know what you should do next, review the new R35 GTR :D It should be quite a good laugh, knowing you and R35s…

G1JT1.png

rongw.png

Requested By: Onboy123​

Here we are a Fuji Speedway which is a track located in Oyama, Japan in a '97 Supra, This Track is famous for hosting SUPER GT events and F1 events. This layout of the track is the 5th gen from 2005 to present! This track is a suitable testing grounds for this car in my opinion!

Anyway my lap starts here with me roaring down the Straight on this track! Before we go any further I must say that this car has 497PP with 336BHP and 1228Kg!
JwDjw.jpg

1st corner the car is keeping itself well in check this is a improvement over the stock tune which slided out more than JG's tune! So far so good... :)
z95We.jpg

Although the car felt a bit stiff the tune was doing a great job keeping it on the track without any problems and without any smoke which slows you down and ruins your lap time! 2nd Corner and doing well!
8c6YV.jpg

Into the 3rd corner which is called the Coca-Cola corner (I wonder why..?) the car takes the corner well at speed and the tune keeps the back in check this tune continues to impress me!
Tm2oE.jpg

The car does well on the (i have no idea what this section is called so lets call it the..) semi circle section altough it does have to brake a bit more than I expected! It's beating the stock tune by a long shot though! corners 4 and 5 went well but could have been slightly better!
fjzoV.jpg

The car is doing very well by this point but I am beginning to spot a hint of understeer which is new for a Supra but still a bit of understeer is much better than that oversteer before the tune! Corners 6 and 7 are a bit of a problem with the slight understeer but im still loving the tune!
akzr9.jpg

Corner 8 was pretty easy with the car as it just flew by with no need to brake at all very good indeed im liking this test alot! Corner 9 basically went the same as No. 8 :P
trxlp.jpg

On corner 10 the a wheel started to smoke in the back which did slow me down but it still beat the stock tune by a LONG shot which was frying my tyres on this corner!
3jiF6.jpg

Corner 11 went well with none of that smoke making an appearance which means this tune just gets better and better! Corner 12 was the same as 11 with no problems at all! :D
A2QuQ.jpg

Corner 13 is a fast yet slightly tight corner which the tune did a great job of getting around it without any problems! I was very suprised by this as I was expecting some smoke around here!
1mm5q.jpg

Getting a tad bit in the grass with the Supra I blame it on myself though, this is corner 14 and the tune is holding itself very well! still somewhat stiff though! Corner 15 went well with me keeping completely on the track!
A98Bl.jpg

Last corner called the Panasonic corner (any ideas why?? anyone....??) well the car kept its composure on this corner while the stock tune nearly took me off the track!!!!
CmbYy.jpg

And the final straight (Crossing the finish line at 155mph!)
i4Y0X.jpg

r7jmf.png

The Good
Very good handling!
Much improved car from stock tune!
Enjoyable to drive!
Fast for its PP!

The Bad
Understeer at times
Car feels somewhat stiff

Final Comments
I can tell that JG worked a long time on this tune as it really improves the car immensely and I really hoped that he enjoyed this review! :) Altough like most tunes there are minor problems!
Score - 8.8/10

I'm thinking that these tuning reviews should be in the "Tuning" sub-forum.

I'm thinking that these tuning reviews should be in the "Tuning" sub-forum.

Yea, since Adrenaline has his in there, it should be better to move it there…and you know, JG spent a total time of around……an hour or two…on the Supra, including the update I requested, so it really wasn't a 'very long time' as you stated. Look at Roj, 3 years on his NSX!
So, get the mods to move it there or start a new one, cuz it won't get much attention here.

Yea, since Adrenaline has his in there, it should be better to move it there…and you know, JG spent a total time of around……an hour or two…on the Supra, including the update I requested, so it really wasn't a 'very long time' as you stated. Look at Roj, 3 years on his NSX!
So, get the mods to move it there or start a new one, cuz it won't get much attention here.

Its not just tune reviews its car reviews so its hard to tell because its not just tune reviews so yea!! :lol:

Or……we can put it in the GT5 in general section, as it's not exactly a race report…

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR ‘05 - A Review By VTiRoj

MitsubishiLancerEvolutionIX-001.jpg

MitsubishiLancerEvolutionIX-002.jpg

Pictured in Blue Mica with optional aero kit and aftermarket wheels.

Before we get into the review, here’s some numbers to glance over.

Displacement: 1997 cc
Max. Power: 269BHP/6400rpm
Max. Torque: 39kgfm/3000rpm
Drivetrain: 4WD
Length: 4490 mm
Width: 1770 mm
Height: 1450 mm
Weight: 1410kg
Performance Points: 444
Performance at 0 miles, no oil change and no other modifications. Manual transmission used and all aids turned off except for ABS at 1. Settings were not changed from dealership specifications.

So, with the formalities out of the way, lets review this Lancer.

Visuals

First things first, the main reason you look at a Lancer in the first place, the nutty appearance. Despite being a 4-door, the Lancer features a massive rear wing, large bonnet vent, a front bumper with plenty of ventilation and a rear diffuser that may not actually do anything other than to keep the exhaust company. This sounds like a ricer’s wet dream, but actually, it’s very well done and you wouldn’t be embarrassed getting out of it at the local supermarket.

Power

The numbers at the beginning of this review should already give you a clue as to how fast this Lancer is. Power delivery is strong from 3000rpm, all the way to the 6400rpm power peak. Turbo lag is almost non-existent here. We took the Lancer to Special Stage Route 7 to get some actual performance figures out of it. 0-60mph takes only 5.3 seconds and 100mph is reached in 14 seconds. Despite having a 6-speed gearbox, the top speed was a disappointingly low 160mph, although to the Lancer’s defence, it is a road going rally car, not a grand tourer.

Handling

With 4WD, the Lancer is expected to be stable, yet agile and it lives up to those expectations very nicely. Out of the box, the Lancer feels sharp, turning in with little to no fuss. Mid corner, the Lancer will push out a little, but only as much as you’d expect from a 4WD car. Corner exit is smooth, allowing you to apply power early without near missing the wall. For those who prefer to slide a bit, the Lancer can easily be provoked into some smokey oversteer, with a simple Scandinavian Flick. For a car on comfort soft tyres, this is more than impressive. This great handling is partly due to the AYC, which works wonders, helping the car rotate a lot easier than a car with traditional LSD’s. Around Trial Mountain, an average driver should look to achieve around 1:45 on a good lap.

The Verdict

Visuals: 9/10
It’s hard to fault the Lancer’s looks, although there will be that odd occasion where you wonder why Mitsubishi didn’t stop adding vents to the front bumper.

Power: 7/10
You can’t go wrong with 270bhp, but you can get left behind.

Handling: 9/10
The only thing stopping the Lancer from scoring a perfect 10 is the tyres. That little push mid-corner could be easily fixed with a higher quality tyre compound.

Overall: 8/10
The Lancer is a great buy and sets a benchmark that not many in its class can achieve. Definitely a recommended buy.

Tuning Tips

If you’re on a tight budget, you will see major handling improvements from purchasing a set of sports hard tyres or better. The Lancer has a capable chassis under it, all it needs is good grip to the road to utilise it properly. A simple chip and filter is an effective way to increase power on a budget, if you need it.

For those who have no budget and wish to turn the Lancer into a true weapon, there are high quality tunes at RKM Motorsport and many others.

I have an excuse to be different because I'm not actually from RVR, so I don't know their style. I just stick to what I know. :P

I have an excuse to be different because I'm not actually from RVR, so I don't know their style. I just stick to what I know. :P
And thats great because im reviewing the way I want to review too! There will be layout changes by me along the way though! My style is ummmm (Insert Style Here)

Oi, Roj, you were meant to review the Prius, not that ricer of a car! And you know how you always moan about people writing tiny paragraphs for reviews for your car? Well, the collected amount of text you have is only just slightly more than my first review for you two!

Dylans,

Thanks for the tunes, the alfa tune is fabulous. It goes very well for they type of car. To test it, I had a race with bog standard subaru impreza and I won. The handling is jaw dropping, it handles like a train.

Oh and the last thing is, it looks amazing because it is a ALFA, and ALFA'S are sexy.

Overall verdict 9/10

The only thing I would like is more power, but thats the most you can get out of it.

Oi, Roj, you were meant to review the Prius, not that ricer of a car! And you know how you always moan about people writing tiny paragraphs for reviews for your car? Well, the collected amount of text you have is only just slightly more than my first review for you two!

I didnt say I'd review it first, I just said I'd review it. Also this is a review for a stock car, if I reviewed a tune, it would be twice as long. :P

Back