Rfactor 2 and Le Mans neglected

• Thread starter Kano Manel
  • 14 comments
United Kingdom
London
Hi, I'm watching the Le Mans 24 H virtual race and I'm impressed with the level of the retransmission (even better than the GT Sport events).

I entered here, my favourite eSport web/forum, looking for more info, but I can't find any. So now I have a few questions, I hope someone can help me to understand:

Why there is no rFactor forum in this web?

Why not a single news about the biggest esport event in history in this site?

Am I missing something?

I'm a bit disappointed about the coverage here, but before I form an opinion I want to know all the facts. Maybe I'm missing something?

Why there is no rFactor forum in this web?

rFactor 2 is a niche title even within the niche that is PC sim racing. There's no point having a dedicated subforum that would get virtually no posts. If you want to know why rF2 is so under utilised despite being a great sim with so many features, and despite all the use it's getting from the more serious current esports events, well, GamerMuscle talks about it in some depth in this video (and I think he's probably right in every point he makes)

There were a couple of news pieces before the event, I confess I'm also surprised there wasn't a post race article.

Well if you do a search for it in here you'll see it just isnt that popular. Recent posts, in the last 2-3 years perhaps, are lucky to break double figures in posts.

Compare that to Assetto Corsa Competizione, the console release thread alone is on 44 pages, in the space of less than 4 months. And even that pales in insignificance compared to the game this forum exists for.

If a game has enough of a following and enough popularity, it'll earn a forum. rFactor just isn't one of them.

There's this thread, but the last post was in September last year. That kind of (in)activity makes a subforum unsustainable. If you want to discuss rF2 deeply, it's better to just go to the Studio 397 forum or RaceDepartment.

IMO, no matter how good a sim it is, it won't be popular if it doesn't have a game around it or shiny graphics. Back when rF2 was first released, modding was difficult so most people just stuck to rF1. Studio 397 rejuvenated it but by then it's a little too late, and all the DLCs are very expensive. If people want to spend that kind of money, they would just go iRacing route. Or buy several other sims which may not be as good physics wise, but makes up for it in other things. I feel like Automobilista is what rF2 should've been, but they've gone the no-modding route again with the sequel :grumpy:

We've had several front page news about various esports races during lockdown as well. None of them ever went beyond 1 page in the actual thread itself. As much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, simracing esports just isn't that popular in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
As much as we'd like to pretend otherwise, simracing esports just isn't that popular in the grand scheme of things.
Especially events that are only happening as an emergency in lieu of the actual races that have been delayed/cancelled; and when many of the participants know it and treat it as such.

It's nowhere near to the biggest esports even in history. It's big for racing, and maybe deserved a follow up article, but there are much bigger esports events than this. Fortnight I think is the biggest at the moment.

It's nowhere near to the biggest esports even in history.

Look, I have no bias whatsoever, I don't even play the game, I'm in ACC and PC2. Even the Royal Familiy of Monaco was involved. ACO. FIA. The list is so long that would take me hours, and is not my intention to discus the fact that is the biggest event in esport ever. Because that is simply a fact, not just an opinion.

Please, whatch the event, at least the 3 first hours. It is hard to form an opinion otherwise.

I just wanted to understand why the lack of coverage, and I think I get it now.

I posted three articles about it, one of which was the actual live stream - which contained not only the stream but live timing and a spotters' guide, just like I'd do for the real-world event...

May 15 - https://www.gtplanet.net/le-mans-to-run-a-virtual-24-hour-race-in-place-of-the-real-thing/
June 3 - https://www.gtplanet.net/virtual-le-mans-entry-list-20200603/
June 13 - https://www.gtplanet.net/live-stream-le-mans-virtual-20200613/

There's also a discussion thread on it (created with the first article, and the others merged into it):
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-hour-race-in-place-of-the-real-thing.393852/

I posted three articles about it, one of which was the actual live stream - which contained not only the stream but live timing and a spotters' guide, just like I'd do for the real-world event...

May 15 - https://www.gtplanet.net/le-mans-to-run-a-virtual-24-hour-race-in-place-of-the-real-thing/
June 3 - https://www.gtplanet.net/virtual-le-mans-entry-list-20200603/
June 13 - https://www.gtplanet.net/live-stream-le-mans-virtual-20200613/

There's also a discussion thread on it (created with the first article, and the others merged into it):
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...-hour-race-in-place-of-the-real-thing.393852/

Sorry, I didn't find them. My bad.
I wasn't ponting at you or this web (again, I'm not even a fan of the game). I'm just surprised that this eSPort event was so big but the coverage was scarce. As someone pointed before, just ACC for PS4 has 44 pages in the forum.

I reckon the reason why this event doesn't have so much atention is because the esport comunity simply doesn't care.
Perhaps this event was most significant for the racing comunity rather than the e-racing comunity.

Especially events that are only happening as an emergency in lieu of the actual races that have been delayed/cancelled; and when many of the participants know it and treat it as such.

I dismissed this almost inmediately, but now that I think about it you are actually right. They substituted the actual race with this. For the esport comunity means nothing (I don't know why). For the real racing community seems like an awakening.

Look, I have no bias whatsoever, I don't even play the game, I'm in ACC and PC2. Even the Royal Familiy of Monaco was involved. ACO. FIA. The list is so long that would take me hours, and is not my intention to discus the fact that is the biggest event in esport ever. Because that is simply a fact, not just an opinion.

Please, whatch the event, at least the 3 first hours. It is hard to form an opinion otherwise.

Unless you can provide some statistic just saying "watch it" and "it's a fact" doesn't prove or disprove anything. The prize money for the Fortnight cup totaled $100m and over 40 million people took part, I'm pretty sure the 2020 virtual LeMans didn't top that, but if you are right and you can prove it I will happily accept that.

It makes little difference to my life which is the biggest, and I don't want to sound like I'm targeting you or anything (I'm sure there will be plenty of other comments of yours I do agree with), but I won't take "that is simply a fact, not just an opinion" as a valid rebuttle.

At least you have had answers to your other questions.

Unless you can provide some statistic just saying "watch it" and "it's a fact" doesn't prove or disprove anything. The prize money for the Fortnight cup totaled $100m and over 40 million people took part, I'm pretty sure the 2020 virtual LeMans didn't top that, but if you are right and you can prove it I will happily accept that.

It makes little difference to my life which is the biggest, and I don't want to sound like I'm targeting you or anything (I'm sure there will be plenty of other comments of yours I do agree with), but I won't take "that is simply a fact, not just an opinion" as a valid rebuttle.

At least you have had answers to your other questions.
I meant racing online, of course. Not esport in general.

Something that strikes me is why the FIA and ACO didn't go with GT Sport?

edit: don't mind me, GT SPort doesn't have day/night cycle

Ah ok, I must have misunderstood your intent behind the original comment. Fair enough, yes it quite possibly is the largest esports racing event to date 👍.

Something that strikes me is why the FIA and ACO didn't go with GT Sport?

edit: don't mind me, GT SPort doesn't have day/night cycle
Did you watch it? It was pointed out at the beginning that they had gone for this game because of full night/day and 50 cars on track.

Back