Ricmotech Sim-Racing Equipment

• Thread starter Ricmotech
  • 127 comments

Ricmotech

Site Sponsor
United States
Miami, FL
Hey everybody, just wanted to let everyone know about our new load cell kit for the Thrustmaster T500 RS pedals. Shaun at the SimPit did his most recent review of the kit and I have posted a link to the product page and his review below.

http://www.ricmotech.com/Load_Cell_Kit_for_Thrustmaster_T500RS_Pedals_p/rmt-lc500.htm

http://www.thesimpit.com/en/news/co...ell-Mod-For-The-T500RS-Pedalset-by-The-Simpit

Let me know if anyone has any questions on it. I will also be releasing version 2 of our G27 load cell kit in the next week or so.

Last edited:
Finished my @Ricmotech Load Cell brake pedal conversion last night on my T500RS. Not easy and took a couple of hours to complete with a lot more tools than they recommended. So far so good and it definitely feels much more like a real brake pedal, very little travel after the first take and a ton of force required to max it out. All I can say is I'm definitely going to be building up some leg muscles racing this year.

The load cell completely replaces the original T500RS brake springs so I moved the large one (and it's base) to the accelerator pedal since I felt that one was a bit too weak. The accelerator is now extra firm and overall the whole rig feels a lot more race car like. I'm not sure this is for everyone, I can easily leg press 40 reps at 400+ pounds and I need to push hard to reach max braking :eek:

I did five or six laps at Silverstone with the HSV (this weeks WRS car and tune) and it felt good, it does take some getting used to having to use so much more force on both pedals but I feel like I can modulate them both more easily and you certainly can't just blip to max braking or throttle like before (unless you've got Arnold Schwarzenegger's thighs :-)). Within a few laps I managed a 1:21.8xx T2 (before screwing up T3) so I think with practice it will be fine.

Order only took a couple of days and they have good instructions with it. Only thing to watch out for is that the bolts holding the metal pedal straps down have nuts on the underside and these must be undone first (use an inline socket wrench) since the plate is also threaded. I did one the wrong way around and sheared the top off the bolt, fortunately Thrustmaster ship with a bunch of spares. Also the 2.5mm allen key seems a smidge too small and I'm suspecting the allen key heads in the T500RS might be imperial not metric.

Overall seems like a good upgrade as even compared to the G25 pedals I was using before the T500RS pedals were pretty bad (feel and modulation only, the quality of the pedals and the metalwork is fantastic), even with the 'Realistic Brake Mod' installed. Now I'd give two thumbs up to this as the most realistic feeling (and hopefully fastest) sim pedal setup I've used.

... I can easily leg press 40 reps at 400+ pounds and I need to push hard to reach max braking :eek:
Surely max braking is whatever you calibrate the pedal to when you first push it, no? So just push less firmly to begin with and that will then be taken as your max braking force. That's how i always understood it.

Good to see another load cell brake for the T500, but for me, the warranty invalidation makes it a non-starter *. Glad you like it 👍

(* although obviously if my T500 was out of warranty i wouldn't be bothered.)

Surely max braking is whatever you calibrate the pedal to when you first push it, no? So just push less firmly to begin with and that will then be taken as your max braking force. That's how i always understood it.

I wish it did work that way. No, it continues to recalibrate every time you push harder, so what you suggested doesn't work.

Here is our soon to be released wheel upgrade kit for the G27 wheel. It includes a CNC machined wheel adapter that can have a Grant or Momo bolt pattern, integrated buttons that plug into the wheel base so no extra electronics are needed, CNC machined T6 Aluminum paddles that are adjustable width, a center cover plate and pre-printed multi-language labels for the buttons. The plate has a recessed area for the label and the buttons are positioned for easy reach while driving.I may offer the wheel as an option to make the purchase easier. The buttons are positioned so that it fits around most 3 spoke wheels, the pictures show it with a 13, 14, and 11.5 inch wheel. The whole kit will be PC and PlayStation compatible. Let me know your thoughts.

IMG_1588 (Medium).JPG IMG_1579 (Medium).JPG IMG_1599 (Medium).JPG IMG_1561 (Medium).JPG IMG_1578 (Medium).JPG IMG_1581 (Medium).JPG

As a T500 load cell customer who's totally satisfied ,I'll definitely keep an eye on your future projects 👍
as mentioned from @StrongManBR an wheel upgrade kit for T500 users were great because theres nothing like this on the market, afaik.

thumbs up @Ricmotech 👍

I need to finalize what labels to provide for the buttons. It will come with a label sheet with 154 labels so I can include any function anyone could possibly want and in various languages too. I could use suggestions as to what you all might want as pre-printed labels. So far I have:

Look Left
Look Right
Look Back
Reset
Tow
Talk
Radio
Pit Limiter
Bias +
Bias -

I would also be selling the label sheets and making a template available so you can make your own label, but if I can anticipate what everyone might want it will be easier for everybody.

Finished my @Ricmotech Load Cell brake pedal conversion last night on my T500RS. Not easy and took a couple of hours to complete with a lot more tools than they recommended. So far so good and it definitely feels much more like a real brake pedal, very little travel after the first take and a ton of force required to max it out. All I can say is I'm definitely going to be building up some leg muscles racing this year.

The load cell completely replaces the original T500RS brake springs so I moved the large one (and it's base) to the accelerator pedal since I felt that one was a bit too weak. The accelerator is now extra firm and overall the whole rig feels a lot more race car like. I'm not sure this is for everyone, I can easily leg press 40 reps at 400+ pounds and I need to push hard to reach max braking :eek:

I did five or six laps at Silverstone with the HSV (this weeks WRS car and tune) and it felt good, it does take some getting used to having to use so much more force on both pedals but I feel like I can modulate them both more easily and you certainly can't just blip to max braking or throttle like before (unless you've got Arnold Schwarzenegger's thighs :-)). Within a few laps I managed a 1:21.8xx T2 (before screwing up T3) so I think with practice it will be fine.

Order only took a couple of days and they have good instructions with it. Only thing to watch out for is that the bolts holding the metal pedal straps down have nuts on the underside and these must be undone first (use an inline socket wrench) since the plate is also threaded. I did one the wrong way around and sheared the top off the bolt, fortunately Thrustmaster ship with a bunch of spares. Also the 2.5mm allen key seems a smidge too small and I'm suspecting the allen key heads in the T500RS might be imperial not metric.

Overall seems like a good upgrade as even compared to the G25 pedals I was using before the T500RS pedals were pretty bad (feel and modulation only, the quality of the pedals and the metalwork is fantastic), even with the 'Realistic Brake Mod' installed. Now I'd give two thumbs up to this as the most realistic feeling (and hopefully fastest) sim pedal setup I've used.

Only size close to 2.5mm allen driver would be a Imperial 3/32 and its actually a smaller tip then on the 2.5mm So most likely the Allen keys they supply are the normal Junk allen keys you get with General products. Or the Head of the bolt on your pedals is a little sloppy from maybe a Installer who wasn't paying attention.

I like this idea, as a g27 user for gt6 right now and possibly others to come, I like my wheel setup but wish it were just a bit bigger like the t500. I keep the stock wheel due to the inability to get my 6 buttons on to another wheel... you guys are inputting the ability of my vision.

Cost is a major factor though, too much of it may lean me to just waiting to get a t500 or comparable my self in a year or so.

As far as buttons I assigned to the wheel:

Look back | e-brake
Reverse | horn
Look left | look right

Any help I can give, let me know.

Finally got my Ricmotech load cell mod for my T500RS. In my opinion the installation wasn't hard and I did it in an hour with the pedals fixed to my Fanatec CSL seat...the hardest part was to get the load cell to Germany, first package got lost but that's not Ricmotech's fault, in fact they sent me another one for free. I love the fact the mod looks like factory build and is basically invisible, if you don't know you don't see the mod. I never managed to get my hand s on a Bodin load cell mod so I can't compare both in game but just from the looks the Ricmotech is my favorite. I had the Basher mod and that is still the best mod for the money and switching to the load cell from Ricmotech I didn't have to adapt that much being already used to the short throw and force you have to apply. While the basher mod kind of gives you the "illusion" of pressure based braking the Ricmotech load cell of course is pressure based braking and gives you so much more modulation and accuracy. There wasn't any info on calibration for PS3 and I simply kept on calibrating like I did with the Basher mod: after the wheel stops self calibration I apply my max braking pressure holding it for two seconds and that's it...works for me but haven't tried it without this step yet. The mod sure costs some money and having to pay the extra 19% VAT for Germany doesn't help but I've had the T500RS for some years now and since it will be usable on the PS4 as well, this additional mod will surely prolong the lifetime of my wheel / pedal set and I think it is worth the money.

Really would like to order your T500RS load cell kit, but the website doesn't like my APO AP address at all, based over in Japan. Would you be willing to ship by USPS Priority by chance?

I have a question about the T500 load cell mod.

Does it take up an extra USB port?

The reason I ask is that I am a big rFactor 1 fan and due to it being an old sim it will only recognise (I believe) 3 USB devices. So if I have a wheel, a shifter and a button box I will have to discard one of those to get the load cell to work.

On the other hand if the load cell simply becomes a part of the T500 loop there would be no problem.

Thanks in anticipation. :cool:

I'm seriously thinking about getting the load cell mod for the T500rs pedals to use on GT6 on Ps3. My question is will the pedals work in the same way of will I have to mess around re-calibrating them which I don't even know is possible in GT6. I also wanted to know if the mod will be recognised by Project cars on PS4?

finally it would be great to hear from any users of the mod on GT6 as I'm particularly having problems racing with no ABS and feel this mod may be the answer.

@tmitch
The pedals will work exactly the same way as they do now , exept for that extra pressure needed to brake .
the brake calibrates itself the first time you step on the pedal and "saves" this pressure until you turn your PS3 or 4 off .
the pedals will be recognized by any game that recognices the T500 base , because the base doesn't care from where or what the signal is coming from (potentieter or load cell)
I'm using the the T300 base in combination with the ricmotech modded T500 pedals and a Th8a shifter.
you'll need some time to get used to the extra pressure and a sturdy mount is usefull .
as an abs0 driver I absolutely recommend this product.

hope I could help you and my writing is understandable 👍

@tmitch
The pedals will work exactly the same way as they do now , exept for that extra pressure needed to brake .
the brake calibrates itself the first time you step on the pedal and "saves" this pressure until you turn your PS3 or 4 off .
the pedals will be recognized by any game that recognices the T500 base , because the base doesn't care from where or what the signal is coming from (potentieter or load cell)
I'm using the the T300 base in combination with the ricmotech modded T500 pedals and a Th8a shifter.
you'll need some time to get used to the extra pressure and a sturdy mount is usefull .
as an abs0 driver I absolutely recommend this product.

hope I could help you and my writing is understandable 👍

Thanks for the reply which all makes sense. I've been driving real cars for 20 yrs so I'm very used to the extra pressure and much prefer the idea of this rather than try to guess how far down I'm pressing the pedal. I use a racing rig with the pedals bolted down so it will be al nice and secure for putting extra pressure needed.

Hey guys, to answer the compatibility and calibration questions; The load cell lit just replaces the potentiometer in the brake pedal with a load cell. The electrical signal the load cell kit puts out is the same as the potentiometer, so the wheel base, Playstation and game have no knowledge it has even been modified. The pedals still plug into the wheel base and all games continue to work as they did before the mod.

To calibrate you just need to press the brake a little harder than the maximum it will take (70lbs) and you are ready to go. You actually have to calibrate all the pedals each time you start the PS by pressing them down all the way, but most people do this without realizing it before the game starts.

Hope this helps.

The brake pedal sensor died on me this week, I ordered one of your load cells. I loved the stock brake but I'm interested in how this load cell is. I have a race next weekend, I hope I receive it and get some practice in before otherwise I'll have to use the clutch as a brake :scared:

I got it today- fairly easy to install (I already had the pedals apart to diagnose what happened to the stock brake- turns out the mounting hardware had broken so I just removed the stock HEART sensor) and it's up and working. I have yet to turn a lap but it was pretty straight forward to install and the directions are very clear, detailed and precise.

I received my Load cell today which amazed me. Only six days from ordering to arriving at my house in the UK. I have a race on the weekend so I'll install after that to give me time to adjust to it!

Thanks for the answer to the calibration it makes perfect sense!

So just started to strip the t500 pedals to fit the load cell and they appear different to the ones in the instructions and on the SimPit video. There is an additional large metal post sticking up (see picture) that I cannot see how to remove and springs around the shaft the pedals pivot on. There is no screw under the pedal set holding it in place and I cannot move it with pliers. Any ideas guys?

Attachments

• DSC_9648.JPG
    DSC_9648.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
Back