Ring Rats … this thread closed

• Thread starter GTP_Nail
  • 131 comments
United States
Tennessee
nail-27
163342.jpg.png

95AC5A58-115D-4856-8723-438D03541318.jpeg

We meet every Wednesday afternoon at 1330 , US Central, at the Nordschleife for races among friends. We use BOP/not tuned cars with Heavy Damage.

If we are short of drivers we BOOST race for two laps just for giggles.

On week 1 the race is 45 minutes,on week two its 90 minutes,on week 3 we do a Two hour race. On the fourth week of every month our primary race is 3 hours.

If we fail to have enough to race, the race length will be modified as follows:

4 or less ....boost races of 2 laps
4-6 45 minutes max
6-8 90 minutes max
9-10 120 minutes max
10 or more scheduled race length
All races will be followed by boost madness of course.

Races may be two class if there are 10 or more drivers present

We will try to maintain the posted schedule but the above will be the fall back so you KNOW what we will be doing.

All races over 90 minutes have a single mandatory 5 minute pit stop to simulate a driver change. The Driver Change pit stop may not be in the first thirty minutes of the race. If you fail to complete the 5 minutes due to leaving prematurely you must complete the stop on your next lap and complete the time.

This is friendly, but intense racing. If you have some body "off" or you run wide (out of bounds) you MUST concede.

Occasional touches are OK, but if your touch is really a big bump or it causes the car you were following to go off line or lose position...fess up and concede.

If your contact results in damage to the other car and he is forced to pit to repair damage, you must follow him to the pits and pit with him. You may refuel and change tires but you may not use that penalty stop as your driver change.

20dadc5c-f9d6-42a1-9881-1d32b6d985aa-jpeg.699016

Room settings: Private, (Send FR to @GTP_Nail )
No Tuning
Fuel 3x Tires 6X
Tires: Racing Hard
Damage: Heavy
Flags: On
Drag: Weak
Reposition: on
Pit stops: a mandatory 5 minute stop simulating a driver change is required for races 90 minutes or longer.
Grid: Fastest first based on practice laps. No Qually
Start : We pace to a predetermined point on the track single file and then go from there..
Track: Nordschleife and an occasional night race on the N24.
Time of day: varies.
Race lengths:
Week One 45 minutes
Week Two. 90 minutes
Week Three Two hours
Week Three. Three hours
Season length: forever
Winner: You

Thanks to Argon for the following track maps with sectors and corners.
nordschleife-sector-map-v0-2-png.729095

nordschleife-24h-sector-map-v0-2-png.729096

We use DISCORD
My tag: Nail#4222
Our room is Ring Rats
Invite: https://discord.gg/SWhwtgu

VLN DRIVERS
@Argon , @monoha , @Goldomor , @GTP_Versatile , @Standard_FV , @DesertPenguin , @geeTeye ,@aceboy127 ,@Clean Racer , @damonc84 ,
@Bass Addict , @DR HASH , @dranddad , @GTP_Guido , @jammy21 ,@MadMax ,@MasterGT ,@Nolinar ,@Rednose58 ,@roamer2629 ,@SAMHAIN85 ,@TEX36
Last edited: 05/05/19

Last edited:
Too avoid possible confusion with room names the rooms will be named VLN/Ring rats for the next couple of weeks and then will revert to VLN

The servers didn´t like that update at all. Lobbies kept crashing yesterday. Let´s hope it works today.

Well....good news and bad news.

Good News: we had six to race in the European Room at 1330. We did a 50 min race in endurance mode, in which we confirmed that the endurance glitch is still with us which trapped the leaders on the after race results screen until the last runner crossed the finish line (after about 7 minutes not untill the two minute timer ran out as it should have done (@MasterGT take note plz) . We then decided that since we had had so much fun actually endurance racing, that we did another 5 lap race (in the race mode).

Welcome to new guy @Standard_FV and thanks to the fearsome four: @GTP_Versatile (Setted), @monoha , @Goldomor (Marcus), and @Argon (Mike)

We need another 4 to do some serious racing.....all ability levels welcome (especially if you are slower than molasses flowing uphill in January...that would be me!!)

We especially need another Alien class driver to keep Setted amused/busy.

Bad News: The night room was barren. I had one taker when @JWinterB (apparently not a GTP member as link does not work) wandered in. We had met in Beta. He is French Canadian...and welcome next week.

So....European room is up one new guy and is slowly getting healthier.
US/Canada/Central and South America....not so much.

We will persevere

I am sitting here watching the VLN race 3 on youtube and it occurred to me that the true uniqueness of the VLN race series is the seemingly endless classes of cars...which provides a corresponding seemingly endlessly amount of lappery...which we rarely get due to the lesser delta in lap time between Gr4/3 cars we use.
What think you to establishing the second class as cars in the same class as our favorite boost car, the GRMN. It is fun and easy to drive and would allow those either less skilled or less familiar with the Green hell to have more fun, while presenting the faster cars with something to deal with.
Thoughts plz

I am sitting here watching the VLN race 3 on youtube and it occurred to me that the true uniqueness of the VLN race series is the seemingly endless classes of cars...which provides a corresponding seemingly endlessly amount of lappery...which we rarely get due to the lesser delta in lap time between Gr4/3 cars we use.
What think you to establishing the second class as cars in the same class as our favorite boost car, the GRMN. It is fun and easy to drive and would allow those either less skilled or less familiar with the Green hell to have more fun, while presenting the faster cars with something to deal with.
Thoughts plz

Well you're either going to need a bigger field of participants, or a smaller track if you want that, or even both, honestly.

Well....good news and bad news.

Good News: we had six to race in the European Room at 1330. We did a 50 min race in endurance mode, in which we confirmed that the endurance glitch is still with us which trapped the leaders on the after race results screen until the last runner crossed the finish line (after about 7 minutes not untill the two minute timer ran out as it should have done (@MasterGT take note plz) . We then decided that since we had had so much fun actually endurance racing, that we did another 5 lap race (in the race mode).

Welcome to new guy @Standard_FV and thanks to the fearsome four: @GTP_Versatile (Setted), @monoha , @Goldomor (Marcus), and @Argon (Mike)

We need another 4 to do some serious racing.....all ability levels welcome (especially if you are slower than molasses flowing uphill in January...that would be me!!)

We especially need another Alien class driver to keep Setted amused/busy.

Bad News: The night room was barren. I had one taker when @JWinterB (apparently not a GTP member as link does not work) wandered in. We had met in Beta. He is French Canadian...and welcome next week.

So....European room is up one new guy and is slowly getting healthier.
US/Canada/Central and South America....not so much.

We will persevere
I can possibly make it this Wednesday if you need peeps.

Hey guys we have joined forces with IRS.

There are no planned changes to the way we do business with one exception.

We may chose to Mirror major events held by them in Evening in the US at 9PM Eastern US (Z-4)in our time zone (Zulu-5) on Weekend afternoons if we feel that there will be enough interest to result in a decent turnout. If we do this it WILL NOT be an official IRS Race, but rather an informal race run with IRS room settings to allow us to mix it up with those who chose to use our. race as a prolonged practice session.

Hey guys we are very excited to bring @GTP_Nail and the VLN Series into the IRS group. I am looking forward to working together and seeing the group grow.

We are still racing tomorrow afternoon, and may race tomorrow night if enough interest is shown. The schedule is for a 90 minute race, but we will shorten to a couple of 5 lappers if we are short of bodies. I an adding @Antares26 and @aceboy127 to our VLN convo.

I was at work. and tend to have morning/afternoon hours now so I don't know when I can show up :( I hope we can get more for the evening crowd

Wednesday nights is hereby canceled due to lack of stamina on the part of moi.....

We had a blast with 7 yesterday afternoon. We did a 5 lapper with Gr3, a four lapper with Gr4, and then descended into motoring madness. First was a 2 lap boost race in Gr4, followed by what we will call a Nurburgring Madness lottery pursuit race.

The winner of the previous race picks a car in the designated class for the second place driver, Said recipient then picks for the man under him , and so it goes until the last place finisher selects a car (probably awful) for the Winner. This is wonderfully full of mayhem as each class is full of wonderful cars and true motoring dogs. We select a class (say N500) and then everybody gets his car assigned and off we go for an assigned number of laps with low boost. After the first race the last place finisher selects a car of the man above him.....sounds awful but it is a super way to practice passing and learning the idiosyncrasies of the cars...the drivers...and the Ring. This will be an event that will continue, after the endurance event.

Thanks to @GTP_Versatile (US) , @Argon (UK), @Standard_FV FL) , @monoha(DE?) , @geeTeye (ZA) , and my old adversary Marcus @Goldomor (DK) for a fun, if somewhat crazy day (so what else is new) at the Ring!!!

Last edited:
E.T.:lol: wasn't he a weird little alien in some movie. Etats Unis.... geeze that was when French was the international language... I took French in both Secondary school and University ( thats for you guys with skinny pants and pointy shoes( that is a quote from A.J. Foyt referring to the influx of European drivers at Indy in the 60s, two of whom actually won “his” race)Over here its high school and College) when I probably should have taken Spanish. And as to @monoha and @Goldomor ... I can’t tell you two apart when you talk :lol: no wonder I reversed your countries.
This is a tough room :cheers:

Back