• Thread starter GTP_Nail
  • 421 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
United States
Tennessee
nail-27
8ED5F628-BEED-4397-B7E8-CBDB7E26FE03.jpeg

We meet every Tues and Thursday afternoon and evening at 1330 and 2030 respectively US Central at the Nordschleife for short races among friends. Usually we use non BOP/not tuned cars. We do not qualify and grids are random. We do not not keep score.

Our main races are every Sunday at 1330 Central US (Zulu-5) . We maintain a monthly schedule for Sunday races. On weeks 1 and 2 and 3 we do a Two hour race. On the fourth week of every month our primary race is 3.0 hours.

All races have mandatory 5 minute pit stops every hour or portion thereof. No five minute pit stops are allowed in the first thirty minutes of the race. 5 minute pit stops may not be combined or done on consecutive laps. If you fail to complete the 5 minutes due to leaving prematurely you must complete the stop on your next lap. If, due to force majeure, ( as in you have a real life problem) you may deduct that time from your next 5 minute stop if you have one left.

We strictly adhere to the WRS OLR. If you have some body "off" or you run wide (out of bounds) you MUST concede. But here is the twist, sometimes on Tuesday and Thursday testing races, if someone has been “left for dead “ the Host will call “Yellow Flag” and we will bunch up for either a rolling or standing restart.

No one cares who wins so it ceases being important. What is important is that we have fun and learn from each other and treat each other with respect.

Occasional touches are ok, but if your touch is really a big bump or it causes the car you were following to go off line or lose time...fess up and concede. If your contact results in damage to the other car and he is forced to pit to repair damage, you must follow him to the pits and pit with him. You may refuel and change tires.

Be prompt on Tuesday nights as there may be routine Maintenance and and if so racing may stop at 2200 Hours.
20DADC5C-F9D6-42A1-9881-1D32B6D985AA.jpeg

Room settings
no tuning
Fuel 3x Tires 5x
Tires: Racing Hard
Damage: Heavy
Flags: On
Drag: Real
Reposition: on
Pit stops: a mandatory 5 minute stop every hour or portion thereof.
Grid: Random or fastest first
Start : varied but slower cars go first with faster cars following after a set delay if we have mixed categories.
Track: Nordschleife and an occasional night race on the N24.
Time of day: varies.
Race lengths:
Weeks 1 through 3 Two hours
Week 4. 3.0 hours
Season length: forever
Winner: You

Thanks to Argon for the following track maps with sectors and corners.
Nordschleife Sector Map v0.2.png

Nordschleife 24h Sector Map v0.2.png

We use DISCORD
My tag Nail#4222
Our room is Ring Rats
Invite: https://discord.gg/SWhwtgu

Monthly combo poll
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ring-rats-poll.380787/

Last edited:
we should formalize a bit by saying races will be every 15 minutes or so. What think you all?

218271EC-A6A3-41D0-BCC2-B5286F602AB8.jpeg

This is the poster from the 1st 24 in 1970...won by Hans Stuck... who was still driving in it in 2013.
The Ring will be open tonight at @8. Javier or Lucas... or anyone... first one there open up FR group (edit) 4 . I have a chat open now and will leave it up.

Last edited:
had great fun...even when I was left for dead by @setted @Wardez ....oh well I drove 5 different gr4s and noted that the bop has changed for all in that the handling had altered.

Holiday Event - Saturday - December 30, 2017

Two Races

1-hr Endurance on the Nurburgring-24hr
Track time: 15:00
Gr.4 Cars on RH, RM or RS Tires (Driver's Choice)
No Mandatory Pitstop
No Mandatory Tire Choice
Tire Wear = 5X
Fuel Consumption = 2X
BOP On
Tuning prohibited

This was sent to me by @TEX36 . Two one hour races back to back. Run by our friends at Snail. Saturday night

Last edited:
1st race will be at 15:00
2nd race will at night.
A beautifully designed night circuit.
Come early to get a Pit Box - looks like we will have a full grid.
Be sure and tell @Rednose58 that you will be entering the Event.

upload_2018-1-2_14-32-33.jpeg

@TEX36 @Mini Stiggy and I upheld WRS honor at the Ring in the Snail Holiday Back to back 1 hour Gr4 races. Mini was 2d...twice....I had a 6th and a 7th. Tex ran out of gas in the first one and hounded me mercilessly in the second and I JUST eked it out to finish 3 sec ahead of him.

Lessons learned.

Fuel tanks are NOT equal in GTS. If the host sets fuel to anything less than default (FIA Homologated tank limit set by BOP) some cars will NOT have full fuel at the race start. Plan accordingly....there were a lot of finger and toes being counted going down the straight...lol...when it became obvious that fuel strategy was FUBAR.

Next...while against Snail ROE (I believe) cones are necessary on the ring and TC would make for a less fraught night...as you tire your throttle control becomes less that perfect.

Next....the 5x tire 2x fuel setting in a one hour race ( or a 30 min race) made for almost an infinite number of strategies and with Gr4 was a stellar combo. Our host @Rednose58 had done his homework well.

Next. Leave ghosting at weak to prevent first lap caramboulage. (which took place in race one).

IMG_3605.JPG

Next. Use the Nordschliefe not the 24 hour....the 24 has that awful turn two which caused mayhem on both starts...the second being less horrific
because ghosting was enabled. Also use rolling starts...same reason.

Next.... the position indicator listing is WRONG almost all of the time in endurance races, often showing cars in the front group as a lap down etc etc. Assume a car coming up behind you is for position, and rendering strategy to be difficult to update. @MasterGT has forwarded this to PWB (powers who be) so perhaps this will get dealt with.

Last....the second race was at night. It is WONDERFUL.....expect to see more of it here.

While two hours seemed a bit long you have to remember that when we did AJ's race (the 24) it is one hour short of a normal stint and we did at least two three hour stints....I hope to see that type of event again.

Since the convo was limited to 8 there were 8 participants who did not have the opportunity to hear about the fuel and leader board problem.
So, why do we all not get DISCORD and mess around with it. I understand it is a gamer's hot mike that runs all who are in its "room" via your phone. Its a FREE app in your app store. I have NO idea how to work it!! We will mess around with it tonight.

We will plan to have a one hour race every other week here....or two 30 minute races....just to get ready for the endurance races sure to follow as the sim evolves.

Oh yes...it's Tuesday....Ring night. Be there between 8 and 8:30 (2000 and 2030 for you military types. (Central time)

Group 4 BOP no tuning other than final gear ratio for the cars that are a bit short.
IMG_3775.JPG

Not finding the Community for Tuesday night at The Ring.

Tuesday night at the Ring.....Lets try some longer stints to set up for some actual 45 minutes races next month.

9898ae7e02db8af4e6aa22d046d9bbd7--race-tracks-circuit.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4974.JPG
    IMG_4974.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 21
Lets try some longer races with an eye to hosting a double one hour or 45 minutes race night like Snail did recently. Room up before 8:30. Public room. title "Ring Rats"
9898ae7e02db8af4e6aa22d046d9bbd7--race-tracks-circuit.jpg

I'm a bit the worse for wear but I'll get a room up anyway...but may not drive

rooms up chats up

Fun races, as usual. :cheers:

I took the Mustang to Sport race C, "Mickey Mouse" GP/F and it eeeeasily no-stopped 8 laps and gained a couple spots. ;)

Gents what do you think about moving this event to Sunday afternoons as long as it does not conflict with WRS Special Events?
We did this in the past and we had good (if not great) support for the EU guys. Also what about holding an actual three lapper every time we meet....with a handicap (TBD) for Aliens (I get to decide who is an Alien.....perhaps anyone faster than Javier:crazy:

1475945027-opde007-german-grand-prix-1971.jpg

Tonight we will run at least 2 3 lappers with variable tire wear and fuel ⛽️ . The most fun I have had to date is in room c races which have approximated endurance type events by puting absurd tire wear and fuel consumption rates on 10 lap 25 min ish races. I also would like all to download the Discord app and get it ready to run as we will have routinely more than 8 in the chat. Its free and in the app store. The chat will be for
phone less players and stewards/ gophers.

my discord name is nail
1475494752-jkp011-john-ketchell-chasing-victory.jpg

Last edited:
This Sunday the Rats will move to Sunday afternoons at 1400 Central US. While we will continue to have fun and race shorter distances, we will have "real" races featuring longer distances with agressive fuel and tire settings that will force interesting strategies and realistic damge ( heavy) to force drivers to drive within their abilities. We are still working on distances but minimum race lengths will be four laps and maximum will be 8 for now, with each daytime race folowed by a night time race of equal or longer distance. While we will allow tuning in spec races most events will be bop with tuning prohibited to keep things simple and to keep the playing field level. We will cycle between the Nordschliefe and the 24 Hour circuit to mix things up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back