RIP Holden. GM shutting down brand and RHD manufacturing

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by R1600Turbo, Feb 17, 2020.

1. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/1...bcBV_hnyCFQZ_F41RE_21cV49qmFp8_Zddt6SzkIF4vbI

Edit: Confirmed.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/1...QNPIKFLtdRO1R361V87TaxXo60hijzhv_wAvKZzZg0RwQ

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

Ouch. And to think the plant in Thailand is responsible for producing the cars they sold in the country's region and neighbors. :dunce:

3. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

Wonder how this decision affects HSV (if at all)? Weird to think that they might outlast Holden itself.

4. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

GMSV? I'd presume they'd be in the box seat for this with all of their previous experience with converting Camaros... and if this happens they might outlast them by a fair bit.
    https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/02/17/report-gm-to-close-holden-brand-cease-rhd-production/

Spacegoat likes this.
  5. GTV0819

GTV0819 (Banned)

Anyway, I hope this isn't a sign of history just repeating itself again from 11 years ago... Who knows.

6. mustafur

mustafur

The only thing that was going for Holden for decades was the fact they made some of their cars here, as soon as that stopped happening people ditched the brand because the quality hasn't been there for a very long time.

Holden dealers are also known to have the worst customer service as well, they have been told countless times by the consumer commission to follow the law, but they can't help themselves screwing customers.

7. YoshiMaster2

YoshiMaster2

I'm not surprised, as Holden's sales haven't been too great lately, and they've already killed off their most iconic model (Although it should have died with the VF).

The only thing that seemed to be selling was the Colorado, but it'll be a shame losing a make that is so iconic down here.

8. 05XR8

05XR8

Wonder what this does to the import market in other countries. Locals here could slap another $10k on whatever V8 they currently own.

9. Slapped

Slapped Premium

Quote from the BBC
    Ouch, Vauxhall next for the chopping block then.

10. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

Sad to hear about this. I once had a very sweet spot for the Monaro and HSV E Series when they were imported to the UK as Vauxhalls. Have to wonder what the long-term future for (V8) Supercars will be once the company shuts down.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  11. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Vauxhall and Opel have been owned by Peugeot/Citroen since 2017, so this won't effect them. :tup:

VXR and Slapped like this.
  12. Slapped

Slapped Premium

Ah, Looks like I'm way out of date then.

13. SestoScudo

SestoScudo

Rest in Peace :(

14. Robin

Robin Premium

Sad news indeed, it's sad in general to see what's happened to Opel, Vauxhall, Buick, Holden. I wish GM could have made it work out better.

Right hand drive is really starting to take the brunt of the global auto slowdown and cost cutting. We are a dieing breed, I could actually see more countries switching to Left in the future as some have done in the past.

[​IMG]

15. Overload_35

Overload_35

I'm really sad about closing Holden, it's always been my absolute favorite Australian car brand. :'(

16. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

Even more than....?

17. Overload_35

Overload_35

I have forgot to quote. I apologize.

Ford AU.

TheCracker likes this.
  18. Nielsen

Nielsen

Globalization = boring.

Bye Holden.

19. Jezza819

Jezza819

But are they still going to export RHD Corvette C8's to Australia? This is a move that affects local RHD production only?

20. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Even an American like myself am sad about this news regarding Holden. I am surely a fan of Holden and even HSV.

dice1998 likes this.
  21. Robin

Robin Premium

Holden stopped local (in Australia) production back in 2017. Everything since then has been imported RHD models sourced from elsewhere in the GM group. This news presumably means nothing RHD carrying the Holden marque anymore.

22. mustafur

mustafur

GM is shutting down all RHD production is what it says.

23. 05XR8

05XR8

I believe the C8 is still a go. But, we'll see.
    https://www.autosport.com/sup/news/148286/holden-not-ruling-out-early-exit-after-gm-axe

24. Spacegoat

Spacegoat Premium

:lol::tup:

If this does go ahead. Would assume they'd probably keep the HSV name, if only for brand recognition? Know a lot of people like to criticize Ryan Walkinshaw about the race team's (lack of) performance and it's probably fair to do so but what he has done with HSV over the past three years. Think he's pretty damn shrewd businessman.

FPV MIC likes this.
  25. Daniel

Daniel Premium

I can't see it happening anytime soon in a lot of these countries. One difference between other RHD manufacturers and Holden is that Holden catered to mostly Australia and NZ (with some small export numbers). Other manufacturers are catering to any combination of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia, Japan, the UK, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and more (which is probably close to 2 billion people?)

You've also got to take into account the monumental costs of converting infrastructure, road signage as well as converting public transport and potentially residential vehicles.

SVX and Wolfe like this.
  26. 05XR8

05XR8

I wonder if dealerships will convert to full on service centers. Will they still operate used car sales? Maybe some will switch brands, but looks like it's going to be a messy time for business owners/groups.

VXR likes this.
  27. JoeDaSnow

JoeDaSnow

I can't believe that the Holden brand is ending in Australia and New Zealand. It's been an honor to know this via the Supercars Championship.

Spacegoat and FPV MIC like this.
  28. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

A while back a lot of the Holden dealers were shut down here in Adelaide, of course in Holdens wisdom they shut down the good ones and left the crap ones going :rolleyes:, so most of them kept their service departments open and changed to used car dealerships. The main issue for Holden owners is they can't do any warranty work, all that is left to the crap dealers. I've had my HSV into them 5 times so far for a faulty seat belt sensor and heard every excuse under the sun for why they can't fix it :banghead:. It's no wonder GM have pulled the pin.

This new Holden showroom is due to open in about two weeks here so obviously the dealers had no prior knowledge. It's also possibly going to send one of the last Holden dealers here broke... and it's the only Holden dealer that's somewhat close to where I live :(
    424241d863c3dda859c460f7cbd1d378.jpg

Spacegoat likes this.
  29. Daniel

Daniel Premium

As far as I'm aware, HSV is a private (though half-owned by GM). It does bring up questions of whether they'll continue to convert imported Chevrolets, change their focus to refurbishing/modifying used cars or just throw in the towel.

Spacegoat likes this.
  30. LM7325

LM7325

RIP Holden, my GTO has now lost both it's parents it seems.