Rival Cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kent
  • 77 comments
  • 4,717 views
JDM = Japanese Domestic Market :)

The NSX R/S-Zero would work well going up against the Lotus Elise 111R. Similar weight-to-power ratio, and both MR.

All of my combos are suggested for arcade mode. Or, to put it another way, all of my comparisons are stock comparisons. In GT4, Japan has too much of an advantage, in terms of customization.

As for your questions from page 1, Kent, the "BN" part of "BNR34" means that the Skyline is a GT-R. And thus my recommendation for a rival to the '00 R34 GT-R is the JZA80 (4th gen) Supra Twin-Turbo. Clichéd, yes, but valid nonetheless. :)
 
EVO 8 MR VS Impreza Spec C
AE86 Trueno vs AE86 Levin
EVO rallycar vs STI rallycar
Mazda RX-7 (FD) vs R34 Skyline vs NSX-R vs Supra
EVO 5 vs EVO 6
M3 CSL vs M3 GTR
RX-8 vs S2000 vs RX-7 (FC)
Integra R vs Civic R vs altezza
beat vs cappucino vs AZ-1
 
How about..

Lexus IS200(J) Vs. BMW 330i

not just because theyre similar, but because the IS200 was made to compete with the 330i in the first place...

350z vs G35

Mechanically, just about the same car

also, the clio renault sport V6 '00, fully modded, has the same exact p/w ratio as the IS200-with a semi-racing muffler
 
M5 V.s E55​


As promised i have taken thes two cars and tested them against each other and i was amazed at the differences in the two. Not only in speed but in the way each car carries its speed. I tested the cars with the only modifications being, Oil change, full weight reduction and R3 tyres. I Did 3 runs of each test to try and be constant too. When reading these results i would like people to take into mind that i am not aking to the Stig from Top Gear! Id rather class myself as a Jeremy Clarkson but not out of choice, im sure many people on this forum can go alot faster than myself and im not going to pretend these results are of scientific nature. they are just one mans opinions! Here are the results

Drag Strip

E55
12.134
12.582
12.411

M5
11.982
12.027
12.027

Conclusion
I found that the M5 wheelspun alot more than the E55 did but still seemed to feel quicker to accellerate. Maybe because of the sound of the high reving V10 as apposed to the E55's V8 rumble. Still there wasnt much in it but the M5's shorter gears helped it here i think

0-1000

E55
21.668
21.241
21.333

M5
21.100
21.101
21.135

Conclusion
As with the Drag race the BMW won but it felt alot slower than the E55 this time, the torque of the E55 seemed to have this one in the bag but again the short gears of the M5 have succeded and make this now 2-0 to BMW

Nurburgring - Final Test
Right my initial plan was to test these cars on three different circuits but i didnt feel the need after about 10 laps in each car on the "Ring". I have listed the top three times, im sure i could have gone faster but i was having great fun and there were a few "moments" along the way :)

E55
7.01.531
7.00.010
7.00.009

M5
6.45.521
6.36.212
6.35.711

Conclusion
After stepping out of the E55 i was shocked to be driving the M5. The smooth power delivery, the soft suspension which gently leans into each corner and the impressive brakes had all gone, Gone too was the soft loving, warm note of the E55's V8 engine. In its place is now a monster! A monster with neck snapping power delivery, Hard grippy suspension and brakes wich im sure have the power to rip you through ur seatbelt and out the windshield!! A high pitched shreik is now being emmited from the cars engine and im scared, but strangely im addicted to. The M5 is better harder faster and stronger (didnt mean to quote a daft punk song) than the E55. Turn into a corner and there is plentiful grip availible. Brake for a corner and u will find yourslef about 30 metres short of where u should be. The E55 is by no means a poor performer though, it has a very strong engine which pulls like a train and it handles well to, but on the nurburgring it has one majour advantage and that is stability. get it a bit wrong in the E55 and you can and will be forgive, In the M5 its a different story! if a wheel so much at sniffs at some grass and it bites you and it bites hard! They are both fantastic cars and are very nice to drive but all the grittyness and rawness of the M5 makes it that fraction better.

The best way i can describe then is by comparing them to rollercoasters. The E55 is like the Nemisis at alton towers, its very fast, its very stable and you can ride it at top speed all day!

The M5 is like the Big One in blackpool! the moment you look at it ur scared. Starting the engine is like the climb to the top and looking down, u know ur in something in a world of its own, but heres the problem the bigone isnt very stable and its not forgiving. If you ride the bigone all day something bad will happen and it will most likely be the cart/M5 coming off the rails!

For the thrill of driving take the M5
For the thrill of staying alive take the E55

Well i hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as i enjoyed writing and researching this and hope it has answered a few questions fairly. If anymore cars need to be teasted in a pretty fair way with a honest and fun conclusion then let me know as i will be happy to!

Cheers
 
I can't believe no one has thought of it
Mazda 787B vs. Minolta Toyota 88C-V
Both classic Group C race cars, and probably the two most popular cars in GT4. It could get messy.
 
I can't believe no one has mentioned the C5-R corvette and the team oreca viper classic challengers!
 
Slick Rick
hmmmm im not too sure....


I think RX7 vs. Supra

Supra is winner. it can hit approx 180 mph stock, whereas RX-7 sputters out mere 160-170ish.. and it's also more stable at curves than lighter RX-7.
 
I'd say...
RX-7 (FC) vs. Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (AE86) S.S. Version
 
Leonidae
Supra is winner. it can hit approx 180 mph stock, whereas RX-7 sputters out mere 160-170ish.. and it's also more stable at curves than lighter RX-7.
How often would either of those cars actually get up to those speeds? I personally prefer the RX-7 in the corners, the Supra feels a lot heavier and less nimble. The RX-7 wins on looks too. 👍

Why does everyone keep posting WRX and Evo over and over again? I think we've ascertained that they're rivals and pretty evenly matched. Mostly a personal preference thing.
 
How about Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A vs. Honda NSX Type R? I thought they were pretty closely matched.
Or maybe Honda NSX Type S Zero '99 vs. Honda NSX Type R?
Or maybe Ford RS200 vs. Peugeot 205 T16
 
For comparing all the '04 to '06 cars available new from the showroom try
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65413
and look at the attachments.

A couple of close matches, notably:

Crossfire vs. Mustang GT

VW Golf GTi vs. Alfa Romeo GT

Mercedes SL600 vs. Aston Martin Vanquish
 
Honda Integra Type-R (DC2) - Honda Civic Type-R (EK)

Here you have a good match if both drivers in the game are good should be a tight match because the only thing thats different between both is the weight. I've tried it some times at 2 players and the Integra came in 2nd by less than 1 second .. So I think those are also good rivals..
 
Question:
Do you all think the TRD Modelista Celica is a fair match for the Honda Integra Type R?

I'm concerned that this match up would be hurt by a sports suspension on the TRD.
Is there an equivalent to the TRD from honda?

Of the top of my head I can't think of anything other than the spoon ITR but if that is used I worry it would be one-sided in the Honda's favor.

What to do? What to do? :confused: :lol:

Btw, just so you all know...
I like keeping the comps between different companies.
There's something about running two cars from the same company that I don't like.
Like the Civic .vs. ITR...
Great match up actually, but I would rather see the ITR .vs. a comprable Celica and the Civic .vs. a comprable FF hatch like the _______? :confused:

In any case, thanks for the great suggestions.
I think the next additions to the Ring Rivals races will be a FF match up and a MR match up. :trouble:
 
-Sauber Mercedes C9 vs. Toyota Minolta 88c-v.

-Daimler Motor Carriage vs. Benz Motorwagen

-Peugeot 206 rc vs. Renault Clio sport.

-Lotus Elise vs. Opel Speedster

And the Vanquish is a good match for the DB9.
 
Im currently working on some comparisons, stock and modded, and getting some #'s together, ex- IS200 vs 330i, 300ZX vs Supra ( I feel these 2 are more similar than the skyline vs. supra)

but anyways, I just thought up a boat load of rival cars, which fiercly compete, atleast in real life.. And nobody made mention of them.. FF cars
Every manufacturer thats someone has something in the FF sporty class.. Dodge - SRT-4, Ford - Focus, Hyundai - Tiburon, Honda - RSX, etc. Toyota - Celica, Mitsubishi - Eclipse.

Theres 15 different comparisons for you, or one big one. I know were looking for only 1vs1's but these cars are all undeniably rivals of eachother.
I think it would make for some fun, fierce competition
 
Well thanks to the suggestions in this thread I have gone back to my race and added a new .vs. battle.

That battle is the TRD Celica .vs. the Honda Integra Type R.

This is the first battle I've set up in arcade mode and the only one I haven't fully tested.
Ran a lap at The Ring with the Celica but never got around to doing one with the ITR.

If any of you are interested in checking it out just follow the link in my sig. 👍

The cars are not stock... Both are fully reduced in weight and power has been modified on both.
The PWRs are pretty even though with the ITR at 4.351 and the Celica at 4.365. :D

So, check them out if you wish, you know where to find the race and specs for obtaining those pwrs.

Also, thanks for putting so much input into this thread (everyone).

Oh and finally, I found something of a match for the DB9. 👍
The Jaguar XKR R-Performance weighs in at 1740 (roughly) with 400hp.
The DB9 weighs in at just over 1700 and has a little more than 400hp.

Hopefully that will end up being a great GT mode .vs.

Add spoilers and weight reduction stage 3. :eek:
Fun fun fun. :D
 
Just a thought

BMW 1-series vs. Audi A3

Don't know which versions, but they seem fairly equal..

👍
 
Since I'm a lazy beyotch, and I haven't had time to post my overdue write-up on sport compact cars... here's some info off the top of my head:

@Somebody: The Alfa Romeo GT whips the VW Golf GTi Mk V... badly. Better balance, stiffer, more power. The VW is an entertaining drive, but has too much snap oversteer and wheelspin compared to the Alfa.

@Agent kri: Peugeot 206 RC vs. Renault Clio 2.0, it's close, but the Clio is slightly better. Over a long distance, five laps or so, with matched drivers, it'll clean the 206's clock, badly. Less weight means less tire wear, better cornering, and slightly more speed.

@Unconnected: I've started on FF cars in the Race Reports section. I've done 6 FF coupe-cruisers, and about a dozen sub-200hp sport compacts (FF and FR). I'm currently working on finishing photography and editing for the second and third part of that one, it's almost thirty cars (FF, FR, MR and AWD). It's a b*tch to finish, and I'm too busy at work right now to polish it off and post it.

@faeringen: Not close stock. The A3 has a lot more power than the 120. If you tuned the BMW 120 to the same power as the BMW 130, then it would definitely kill the A3.

@Kent: With an untuned Modellista Celica, on the same tires as the Integra, it's sadly not even close. The ITR just has too much power and too much natural grip for the Celica to keep up. I had actually hoped that the Celica would have more grip even without the trick tires.

The Celica is a great FF, though. One of the best handlers, it turns out, in testing.

I don't doubt that if you drove the TRD Celica and the ITR on their stock S-Tires that the Celica would eat the Honda alive, though. Those stock SS tires would make the Celica more than a match for the ITR, but it would still eat the Honda's dust in a straight line.

The Celica would kill the CTR, though. The CTR is still faster in the straights, but the CTR's VTEC lag and the Celica's better balance would make it a more entertaining fight.
 
Peugeot 205 T16 (Road Ver) vs Audi Quattro
Peugeot 205 T16 Evo 2 vs Lancia Delta S4
Peugeot 205 T16 (Road Ver) vs Audi A3 (New one)
Audi A3 vs Audi S3
Mercedes 300 SL vs Jaguar E-Type
BMW M3 vs Mercedes CLK

Maybe the Nismo 400 R vs Aston Martin DB9

Hope those races work. Maybe later I´ll more races.
 
Well, I have an idea for Kent's answer to no 2 about a potental rival car for the NSX, namley the NSX-R. The Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (00)

Now this might seam a miss-match given the weight and BHP differnces between both cars, not to mention I'm prob not the most quallifed driver (although I can handle most road and race cars if not all of them... can't say all of them becuase I haven't driven all of them...without TCS, ASM, on normal to sport and racing tires and with the DFP or even the DS2) and the fact the only places I have driven them HARD on N2 spec tires (only, have I have not tested them much on N3's or any other tires for the matter), are Laguna Seca, Infeneon Raceway, Autum Ring full, and Suzuka Full. I've driven them both around the ring but that was months ago, and well, Suzuka and Laguna are the only real places I've driven then back to back on the same day, hard as I could, really Suzuka as that's a personal favorite track of mine and a proving ground for comparing cars besides Tsukaba and Infeneon.

From what I can tell you of the cars, and why I consider them worth comparing and in a way rivals are these reasons.

For one, it's their overall performace on the track regardless of how different these cars are. The vette has about 105bhp differnece (offically, the gap is most likley lower given the listing on GT mode has the car as 310bhp for the NSX) from the NSX, and the NSX is some 200kg lighter than the Vette. But it's because of their similar lap times first around Laguna seca...

The Vette got 1.44.427, the NSX-R, 1.44.375. Just to give you an idea, a GTR 34 I tested... I think the 1999 V-Spec II or something of the matter (there is a difference between them all), I got 1.46.607. All of them on N2 tires, all of them with no TCS, ASM, and using the DFP. Laguna is a track I'm used to from many other games, this being little different. Plus I'm most familar with the vette, I got that time on my first lap, took me a few more to get the NSX's time, I can't help but think I could work harder. But then we go to Suzuka where I have worked hard on both cars...

The NSX-R, 2.27.255, which was a lot faster compiared to the last time I drove it within the 2.34 second range when I had first played GTR. The 2.27 time is my latest, quickest time yet with it. But the Vette Z06...was 2.26.928.

Laguna Seca gives some power difference but at the same time a sense of control and agility with your car, not to mention you have to commit to a number of corners, you can't slack off espically on the uphill sectors of the track. Far as Confidnece goes with the Vette, it's very high for me. Suzuka is a similar case, though the power difference make itself obvious in a number of parts, but also just how the overall package of each car comes together as well.

As for the Vette..

This car dosen't under or oversteer too much when you it thru a corner right, and the elevation makes little difference besides to be more carefull on braking going downhill, not so much an issue uphill save for some corners. In real life the vette is a bit more tail happy, which GT3 did actually nail almost right. This Corvette in GT4 is not so tail happy, but it beats severe understeering, espically when you can learn how to kick the tail out the right way with this car. Not to mention it's one of the fater normal road cars I've tried for a very long time, the throttle response, the brakes, it all works to make it a very confident track car :D.

I just wish they made it sound more like the vette in real life... but I hope they'll get it right for GT5 (that and getting the new C6 and Z06, no excuse at this point, same for the TVR Sagaris while where at it...).

It overall gives me a sense of confidence to race and to do time attacks more so than any other car. Which for me might be a bit biased becuase I've driven this car more than most others including the Imprezas, the Lan evos, the Skylines, etc. So of cousre I'm going to specilaize more in that area, even with the Evo's which do feel on one end more planted on the road, on another not the handling I'd like, a similar case with the Imprezas and Skylines (and out of all of them... I'm actuall an Impreza fan..and the only Evo's I really like in terms of handling so far are the Evo 3 and Evo 7... ).

Alhough the NSX is different in a lot of ways, such as feeling different from the Z06, it's equaly as quick around most tracks as the Z06. It's weight difference to an extent can be felt as much as you could with a DFP as it feels lighter and a bit more nimble around corners. It's got everything you could want except for the power, but even with what power it's got, it's very quick around corners. It's a superb machine.

With the NSX, I feel a tiny bit more confdience driving it, and a bit more of a thritll besides the fact if you treat it the wrong way or provoke it into oversteer, you either do it right with this car, or it back fires on you baddly. It's otherwise very level and very easy to control. So easy you can stay on it's limits, and if you keep at it, you can be very fast against cars far more powerfull than this one which includes the Z06.

What I also like about this car is how it seams to feel very much like the other NSX's including the Acura US model which I also like a lot... becuase both feel very similar even with the power and weight differneces and what have you. The American spec model is not as fast but it does fell as confident and as abled as the full blown Japanse model, then again the NSX-R is to the NSX lineup what the CSL and GTR are to the M3, and same for the Z06 to the C5 models. A high performace hardcore or track derived vehicle, lighter, more powerfull, more race prepaired.

That's my reason anyway, I'd state more but I think I'll just ramble on and on... don't know if this is even usefull information anyway till I get a reply... so I'll just wait for one.

Till later.
 
The Lotus Elise '00 vs. the Opel Speedster '00.
Both cars are very close. I am in the middle of a comparison article featuring these cars. Keep an eye on the Race Reports forum.

Honda NSX vs.. hmm.. Protomotors Spirra...
 
The M5 will annilate the E55 due to gearbox. E55 5 gears M5 7 gears. No match at all.
 
speedy_samurai
The Lotus Elise '00 vs. the Opel Speedster '00.
Both cars are very close. I am in the middle of a comparison article featuring these cars. Keep an eye on the Race Reports forum.
That'll be interesting considering Lotus designed the Opel Speeder and it's based off the Elise. I remember on Topgear they actually said the Opel was better than the Elise.
 
Volvo S60 vs. Alfa Romeo 156, this could be a close one, but my guess is on the alfa because of superior handling.
Audi RS4 vs. BMW M3, but i guess that this one will be in the favor the more powerfull Audi.
Jaguar S-Type vs. Mercedes E55.

Edit: Ops, not the E55. I meant the one with four doors. :)
 
RX-8 vs. 350z

VW Golf vs. Scion XA (woo go golf)

Elise vs. Speedster

MR2 Spyder vs. MX5 Miata

F-150 vs. Silverado (eww trucks)

Cizeta vs. XJ220

Those are some pretty decent matches!
 
tqualizer
Volvo S60 vs. Alfa Romeo 156, this could be a close one, but my guess is on the alfa because of superior handling.
Audi RS4 vs. BMW M3, but i guess that this one will be in the favor the more powerfull Audi.
Jaguar S-Type vs. Mercedes E55.

Edit: Ops, not the E55. I meant the one with four doors. :)

Hmm, the 156 can handle? Gotta find out. But make no mistake, the S60 can DEFINITELY handle. It's one of the fastest FF Sedans in the game, if not THE fastest. That's Sedan mind you, doesn't include hatches and coupes.

The E55 does have 4 doors. E55 vs. S-Type is a good match. HP vs. handling.

Try the RS4 vs. the M3... you might be surprised how little difference that HP makes on track. :)
 
Kent
Oh and finally, I found something of a match for the DB9. 👍
The Jaguar XKR R-Performance weighs in at 1740 (roughly) with 400hp.
The DB9 weighs in at just over 1700 and has a little more than 400hp.

Hopefully that will end up being a great GT mode .vs.

Add spoilers and weight reduction stage 3. :eek:
Fun fun fun. :D

I actually suggested that on the 2nd page in my post and you completely ignored me. :(

Mad Murphy NZ, I've tried the Opel vs. Lotus already and that needs a bit of tweaking to get it to work. Stock the Opel Speedster Turbo is not faster than the top Lotus Elise Motorsport version but tweaking the cars can be very closely matched. It's one fantastic combination though, some mad, mad races I've had with those 2 cars. ;)
 
After numerous LAN battles (4 to 6 persons, depending how many of us can skip it's weekend obligations to girlfriends and so on), conslusion is there are very rare real rival cars in GT4 in terms of stock-models representaed as a choice in LAN mode.

In all cases, majority of rivalness is spoiled by minor ups/downs in performance which seriousely affects all races longer then 3 laps.

It is possbile to override the handicaps of some models by including tyre-wear as factor, but then you have another problem in comparing FR with RR or 4WD in street-models, or FR and MR in race models.

From our LAN experience I can say that closes rivals are found in JGTC GT class, but all cars has to be from the same year - while Wodoone and Motul Z rules them all and can only compete aginst each other. DTM is also a nice example, but Audi TT or A4 are just better then other cars. Racing BMW GTR can compete with Opels' DTM, as far as CLK DTM is not in.

In Dream Car section lies two best rivals in GT4 - Mazda 6 (Atenzza) Touring and Honda Accord Touring (both available in nice choice of colours :)).

In street-class RX-7 vs. Supra is only one, while NSX or Skyline can't compete on majority of tracks.

LMP class has so many differencies, that is totaly impossible to overcome, mostly due to PTW and different tyre/wear abilities.

While we have no problem that only stock-cars from Arcade mode can participate in LAN, the "solver" for the problem in finding the true rivals would be Quick Tune-Up as seen in normal Arcade Mode.

Something worth expecting from the next game.
 
Back