RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

It's still as planted as ever for me. :confused: Perhaps it is the 500PP build doing it. I was throwing it at Deep Forest and it just refused to slide or bite me. Just constant grip.

Thanks for the review! :D It's definately more of a Deep Forest/Trial Mountain sort of car. I think flatter tracks like Spa can show the weakness of AYC a fair bit. But yeah thanks for the detailed feedback, it comes in handy when it comes to fixing the tunes. 👍

I'll look into the gearbox and the brakes. It could be that I've made a typo in the ratios or I'm just used to how it is, but yeah I'll look into it and try and fix it. 👍

Edit: Just realised you're talking about online. It may just be because I tuned the car offline that the brakes are an issue. Also 6th kicks in at 160mph-ish which is reasonable for an Evo... Perhaps it is just a typo.

Was at Spa tonight dialiing in some 530pp cars for tomorrow night's meet - got bored of seeing everyone in the usual so I pulled out the RKM IX and a mate pulled his own tuned IX for some runs.

I think you're right about the AYC on these sort of tracks, the car felt so much better with a custom diff. Be interesting to compare this on the more twisty circuits.

I stiffened the dampers and springs a bit (rear alot - now 8.5), took off some rear camber and front toe and it started feeling pretty good around Spa.

This is isn't to "retune" your car / tune, just thought 'd mention it incase this helped at some point in the future.

Around those middle twisty bits of Spa it definately surprised a few guys driving the 'best' cars in the series. I don't run any aero on my 530pp cars, most others in the 530pp series don't either, cut the aero off and use the PP saved to improve power to weight ratio.

The IX was a beast coming out of some of those corners, easiliy temporarily pulling a bit away from the estabilshed top cars.

Gonna have a look at your other EVO tunes either tomorrow or Thursday. As always, great work from you guys Roj & Kyle 👍

Highlandor
Was at Spa tonight dialiing in some 530pp cars for tomorrow night's meet - got bored of seeing everyone in the usual so I pulled out the RKM IX and a mate pulled his own tuned IX for some runs.

I think you're right about the AYC on these sort of tracks, the car felt so much better with a custom diff. Be interesting to compare this on the more twisty circuits.

I stiffened the dampers and springs a bit (rear alot - now 8.5), took off some rear camber and front toe and it started feeling pretty good around Spa.

This is isn't to "retune" your car / tune, just thought 'd mention it incase this helped at some point in the future.

Around those middle twisty bits of Spa it definately surprised a few guys driving the 'best' cars in the series. I don't run any aero on my 530pp cars, most others in the 530pp series don't either, cut the aero off and use the PP saved to improve power to weight ratio.

The IX was a beast coming out of some of those corners, easiliy temporarily pulling a bit away from the estabilshed top cars.

Gonna have a look at your other EVO tunes either tomorrow or Thursday. As always, great work from you guys Roj & Kyle 👍

See, this is the great thing about GT5, while we and other tuners provide tunes for people to use, you can tweak them to your preference :D and that's what we are here for...especially the scary Emperor tunes!

Oh, and to anyone who may be interested, the Emperor XL is on it's way soon! :lol:

Now before everyone jumps down my throat about how much you hate the GT-R R35, I know that this car brings up extreme emotions. It's one of those cars that is either loved or hated with not too many people hanging out in the middle.

I used Dragonthing's "N24 Fanboi Express" tune on fully tuned GT-R R35 TC and man did this thing fly. I know that Dragonthing is planning on tuning this car herself but I think she has tuned it perfectly without ever driving it.

I definatly think that you should keep "Express" in the name somewhere, as the car pulls like a train and corners like its on rails.

I managed to beat my personal best time on Trial Mountain by just over 5 seconds. My best time previously was 1:22:6XX in a fully modded 2010 Camero RM "Deathsycthe" (With RKM Suspension/Gearbox/LSD/Brakes). The GT-R R35 TC managed it in 1:17:5XX.

Now I know that these may not be blistering fast times to some of you, but I should point out I use a DS3 and just this I switched my accelerator and brakes from X and Square to R2 and L2 and am still getting used to it. The Camaro time was set over a month ago.

I also know that the GT-R R35 TC has more power, however there is only a difference off 40pp. So thats 1.25 seconds/10 pp.

Maybe I need to go back and do more laps in my Camaro, but I know the is a quicker time in the R35, I only did 3 laps....

Great job Dragonthing, whether you planned it this way or not, you have created a gem.

I encourage everyone who has the DLC cars to give this car a lot, I think it will make you smile, I know I am!

I'm looking forward to the TC setups. The R35 feels really heavy in "out of the box" form with super stickies on it. I'll try Dragon's GTR N24 setup.

And no LSD is quite surprising.

My fastest in the GTR TC with all mods EXCEPT turbos and stock setup was 1'23.0xx. With Dragon's setup (with 25/75 torque) was 1'21.7xx.

When you guys entitle the setups for the TC cars, would you please denote them with a TC?

Stage 3 engine and no turbos is 727HP. Stage 1 Turbo is 774. 1'20.6xx
Stage 2 Turbo is 802 1'20.3xx
Stage 3 Turbo is 880 1'19.7xx

As this car is breaking in, it is more apparent that not ACTUALLY having an LSD severely limits it's capabilities when powering through and out of corners.

Last edited:
Searching for "Pinkee's Purple Snake". Am I missing it or is there not a setup for the Viper ACR?

My daughter (Pinkee) were farting around on Spa and she went sifting through my cars. All I heard was "IT'S PURPLE!!!". Next thing I know she's trying to kill all of the mosquitos around Spa with tire smoke! The car was bone stock with Sport Hards on it!

And now I have to paint the Prius TC matte pink to match "The Pig" (Veyron).

Cant wait to see Rotary's tune for the rx-7 tc assuming he is going to do one.

When you guys entitle the setups for the TC cars, would you please denote them with a TC?
I've already done this with the CR-Z, Prius and Challenger, but the Evo X got an Emperor title. It's under "Emperor's Guard". 👍
Searching for "Pinkee's Purple Snake". Am I missing it or is there not a setup for the Viper ACR?

My daughter (Pinkee) were farting around on Spa and she went sifting through my cars. All I heard was "IT'S PURPLE!!!". Next thing I know she's trying to kill all of the mosquitos around Spa with tire smoke! The car was bone stock with Sport Hards on it!

And now I have to paint the Prius TC matte pink to match "The Pig" (Veyron).

I have an ACR somewhere around the forum, but it's not a Spec 2 tune and it's not here at RKM. I'd have to go find it if you want it, but as I said it's not a Spec 2 tune so it wouldn't be very helpful.

Your daughter has great taste. Everything is better in purple! :D

VTiRoj
I've already done this with the CR-Z, Prius and Challenger, but the Evo X got an Emperor title. It's under "Emperor's Guard". 👍

I have an ACR somewhere around the forum, but it's not a Spec 2 tune and it's not here at RKM. I'd have to go find it if you want it, but as I said it's not a Spec 2 tune so it wouldn't be very helpful.

Your daughter has great taste. Everything is better in purple! :D

The Viper doesn't have to be "fast" just stable. She's 11 and does have some skill when she focuses (and isn't playing Sims 3 or LBP!). So, she's not a total noOb.

How would you feel about separating the TC cars in your own tune group? Would be easier to find.

Simply putting the Snake on a diet, throwing on super stickies, and the fixed suspension helped a bunch. 700+ horsepower with Sport Hards ugh!!!

Wonder if she'd like the wheels pink, already painted the Ray's white. Can't paint the body, the stripe will be lost.

What's the deal with Famine and purple?

RJ, some quick thoughts and notes regarding my very much missed Quattro, as promised:
- Similar set up style as the CT230RR results in a roughly similar, if slightly toned down, feel when driven.

- The car doesn't seem willing to rotate unless you lift off the throttle in the turns.

- It understeers slightly, but I'm guessing that's only because I'm not being aggressive enough with it.

- I find it hard to be consistent, though it could just be me. Again.

- The settings make the car looser and wilder which is good for making it enjoyable, as the stock Quattro was just so boring unless it was driven on dirt. The only cost being that I run out of…steering room. Basically, I mean that sometimes, it doesn't rotate enough, even when I do get it kind of right.

- Gap between 1st gear and 2nd is too far apart, though I'm guessing you did that to keep the gears after 2nd tighter.

- Whaddya mean it doesn't have enough grip? I find it has plenty, not as much as say…an Evo, but not too bad for a 40 odd year old car.

I've got more to say about it, but a 5 lap race was all I could manage and, as a closing note, it showed the R35 who's boss around Trial Mountain in the PD cup.

——————————————————————————————————

I was also going to do Roj's FD2, but I can't be arsed. :P

Roj, I took screenshots of your TC tunes. I'll try them later today.

What difference does it make with the tranny by setting the Max Speed and then the other gears?

What difference does it make with the tranny by setting the Max Speed and then the other gears?

If you set the max speed it resets all other gears according to the final ratio.

If you don't and do it the other way round, the other gear ratios will be reset the moment you adjust the max speed slider.

Ok, that makes sense.

Did Sony give us a 2nd bonus car? I have a GTR LM ticket that cannot be gifted. What do you guys know of this car?

Ok, that makes sense.

Did Sony give us a 2nd bonus car? I have a GTR LM ticket that cannot be gifted. What do you guys know of this car?

Which GTR? The R(ubbish)35 or the R33 Nismo Road car? If it's the crapbox R35, it costs over 1 million so can't be gifted.

The Viper doesn't have to be "fast" just stable. She's 11 and does have some skill when she focuses (and isn't playing Sims 3 or LBP!). So, she's not a total noOb.

How would you feel about separating the TC cars in your own tune group? Would be easier to find.
Here's my ACR settings, as I said they're not Spec 2 but some things like the LSD will still work.

It would make the tune list look a bit unorganised I think. Maybe next time we redecorate we'll do something where we scrap the individual lists and just group certain cars together.
Simply putting the Snake on a diet, throwing on super stickies, and the fixed suspension helped a bunch. 700+ horsepower with Sport Hards ugh!!!

Wonder if she'd like the wheels pink, already painted the Ray's white. Can't paint the body, the stripe will be lost.

What's the deal with Famine and purple?
I think gold would look better for the wheels. :P

Famine makes all his posts in purple, which started the whole thing with purple being his. :D

I always do the max speed setting first, then the ratios. That's the accepted normal way. Doing ratios first and then max speed, as everyone else has said, resets your ratios.

o_RED_NECK_o
Now before everyone jumps down my throat about how much you hate the GT-R R35, I know that this car brings up extreme emotions. It's one of those cars that is either loved or hated with not too many people hanging out in the middle.

I used Dragonthing's "N24 Fanboi Express" tune on fully tuned GT-R R35 TC and man did this thing fly. I know that Dragonthing is planning on tuning this car herself but I think she has tuned it perfectly without ever driving it.

I definatly think that you should keep "Express" in the name somewhere, as the car pulls like a train and corners like its on rails.

I managed to beat my personal best time on Trial Mountain by just over 5 seconds. My best time previously was 1:22:6XX in a fully modded 2010 Camero RM "Deathsycthe" (With RKM Suspension/Gearbox/LSD/Brakes). The GT-R R35 TC managed it in 1:17:5XX.

Now I know that these may not be blistering fast times to some of you, but I should point out I use a DS3 and just this I switched my accelerator and brakes from X and Square to R2 and L2 and am still getting used to it. The Camaro time was set over a month ago.

I also know that the GT-R R35 TC has more power, however there is only a difference off 40pp. So thats 1.25 seconds/10 pp.

Maybe I need to go back and do more laps in my Camaro, but I know the is a quicker time in the R35, I only did 3 laps....

Great job Dragonthing, whether you planned it this way or not, you have created a gem.

I encourage everyone who has the DLC cars to give this car a lot, I think it will make you smile, I know I am!
DaveTheStalker
I'm looking forward to the TC setups. The R35 feels really heavy in "out of the box" form with super stickies on it. I'll try Dragon's GTR N24 setup.

And no LSD is quite surprising.

My fastest in the GTR TC with all mods EXCEPT turbos and stock setup was 1'23.0xx. With Dragon's setup (with 25/75 torque) was 1'21.7xx.

Stage 3 engine and no turbos is 727HP. Stage 1 Turbo is 774. 1'20.6xx
Stage 2 Turbo is 802 1'20.3xx
Stage 3 Turbo is 880 1'19.7xx

As this car is breaking in, it is more apparent that not ACTUALLY having an LSD severely limits it's capabilities when powering through and out of corners.

Funnily enough I had actually considered transferring my N24 over like this to the TC when I get it, as a base to work on, but I am glad to hear I have less work to do! I know it goes against my opinions of the few GT-R road cars I have laying around, but the N24 really is a fast and exciting car, and I'm actually looking forward to the TC version. I will definitely still be having a tweak though, see if something cannot be improved :D also I am glad I am not the only one who thinks a lack of a center differential is odd on the N24...

And for anyone who is interested, I will not only be tuning the R35 TC, but I am also going to be working on the R32, R34 and Impreza Touring Cars :D expect crazy things from the R34 though...

rkuIi.jpg

Just a quick review of the Subaru Legacy STi Touring before I forget my impressions (further play again looks elusive at this point).

As I have driven a stock one of those in real life and quite enjoyed it, I was interested in giving a slightly modded version a try. In real life, the automatic is absolutely hopeless, but stick a six speeder in from the Impreza STi, and you get quite an exciting car. Sure, the non-turbo flat six is a bit flat chested compared to the turbo'ed four but the cabin is something, where you can spend time in, too...

Anyway, back to GT5 and your tune. I slapped on the components first, without adjusting the settings, so as to get a feel for the improvement. After three laps of SS5 it did not bode well for the 400bhp NA Legacy. There was no real way to quell understeer, for a start. It would understeer a bit on full throttle, more during braking and most on light throttle or during lifting. Sure, it was easily the fastest car for the 4WD seasonals but it was also not particularly fun to drive. Braking early was advisable, as full throttle was the only way to draw lines tighter than those achievable with an 18 wheeler truck. Direction changes during braking, such as in the first tunnel at SS5 would produce some instability but of a lazy, easily catcheable sort (and resulting in even more understeer).

The overall grip was OK, as was the acceleration but the top speed was not. I was a bit surprised that you had a fully customiseable gearbox on the list of components but did not tweak either the top speed, or the ratios at all (oversight, wrong component?).

Setting it up as intended, the situation certainly did improve. The times on SS5 dropped by about 1.5 seconds, which is certainly a good start. The car was definitely a bit tighter, even if the same basic character (understeer) was maintained.

I subsequently tried it on GVS, where the car was definitely better but still not one of the more exciting efforts. In spite of being lowered, it rides the kerbs quite well and if you ensure that the braking is done early enough and that corners are taken at close to full power, it works. Apart from punishing late braking it is fairly beginner friendly.

The one remaining comment is the gearbox - it tops out close to 240kmh (246kmh during drafting) - which is just sufficient at GVS but will have the car bump off the limiter at most other, faster tracks.

I am quite curious how it compares to your R32, given that the basic stats are reasonably similar. Will let you know, when I get some nanoseconds of play again ;)

Last edited:
Please, you gotta send me that car. I've been unable to find it. I only have the 2.0. Can I PM you some offers?

:lol: If it's the RKM rebadged one, just take the tune and stuff it as best you can into the 2 litre. Otherwise, yea, nick it off him. :D

First one to touch my Legacy and you didn't even mention I forgot the gearing. :P

The ratios aren't listed because I goofed, I left it alone because I didn't feel like fixing them until someone called me on it. Otherwise sounds about right. I'll be fixing that some time after I wake up, should help a bit on straights in general. It's not a very special acting car but I wasn't expecting it to be after my first few laps in it.

@Onboy: Yeah all sounds about right. And what I mean by it not having enough grip is exactly that... It is pitiful in terms of how little grip it actually has. Combine that with the weight balance and no matter what is done the natural balance will be toward understeer.

Edit: The 3.0R is betterererer. Mainly the sound.

Rotary Junkie
First one to touch my Legacy and you didn't even mention I forgot the gearing. :P

The ratios aren't listed because I goofed, I left it alone because I didn't feel like fixing them until someone called me on it. Otherwise sounds about right. I'll be fixing that some time after I wake up, should help a bit on straights in general. It's not a very special acting car but I wasn't expecting it to be after my first few laps in it.

@Onboy: Yeah all sounds about right. And what I mean by it not having enough grip is exactly that... It is pitiful in terms of how little grip it actually has. Combine that with the weight balance and no matter what is done the natural balance will be toward understeer.

Edit: The 3.0R is betterererer. Mainly the sound.

I have tried the tune out on both the 2.0GT Spec.B and the normal 2.0GT and it seems to work as intended, now I just need the 3.0R!

Speaking of GT-R's, I'll be releasing 2 tonight. As well as the secret X1999 car and an M3!

VTiRoj
Speaking of GT-R's, I'll be releasing 2 tonight. As well as the secret X1999 car and an M3!

Definitely look forward to that when I finally get home. As I write I am stuck in the rain in town for the next...5 hours? Probably more...

GT-R? It's not a Honda Insight GT-R is it? Perhaps a Nissan Premera GT-R? And you've finally got round to doing the new, boring and droning M3, eh?

Also, I thought you were going to tune the Mclaren F1 Stealth at some point?

Back