RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

thank god! here's a thought. Instead of reading a book, I'll just read RSG, and i also think that RSG should never end! [Cool story, bro]
That's just what I came up with on the spot. This fanfic business is a piece of cake ;) *Cough* You like my story?

Enthusiastic writing there...quite the imagination!

I think it's a shame that you guys (and gal) have put so much into RKM, and subsequently, done so much for so many - not just GTP but as mentioned before, all the people from 'outside' too, but you feel a little demotivated or not satisfied.

For me, I use two things, one is online racing (but a specific type of this) and the other is another game - to give me a complete break from Gran Turismo.

I've been very lucky that I've got some great people to race with daily, in series that are extremely close and competitive with a huge amount of diversity when it comes to what cars are competitive.

I do not wish for this to sound like a brag or boast - I know that the attitude I show to many on GTP maybe means most people will have this assumption about either myself or most of my posts - but the truth is far from that. Ask Kyle about his experiences of me n lobbies or what he's seen from the few times and guys we've raced with.

The "rush" of racing online with guys who are chilled out, fair, clean and very fast just cannot be beaten.

You spend so much time doing so much for so many other people on GT and GTP, I feel maybe you need to balance things out and do things for yourself a little sometimes (on GT). If worst comes to the worst and you're sick of GT, this is the same for me which is why I have a completely different style of game (Battlefield) to play that takes my mind off it.

So many people outside of GTP know about, talk about and respect RKM - what you have 'created' and 'done' is huge, which is why I find it sad to read that all three of you sometimes struggle for motivation, or have struggled. People don't talk about RKM @ GTPlanet the "tuners" - you say just 'RKM' in a lobby virtually EVERYONE knows exactly who and what you are talking about.

I understand that maybe a lack of competition might be a factor, but competition doesn't have 100% positive attributes, sometimes 'competion' can works against what you are trying to achieve, if you loose all competition then what or where does that leave you. This is why I've said about maybe trying to find something whereby you are doing the same as what you are doing now - but in a different way.

Like I say, RJ has been in my lobby, he knows (hopefully) that in 'person' I'm not half as bad as I am when I'm posting, if any of you guys want to have some serious fun on track with clean and fast guys, you're always welcome to join us. You'll meet a variety of guys from different forums, probably have a good laugh and have some exceptionally good racing.

That's if RJ isn't mad at me for constantly taking the P*** out of his singing...

Hope you don't take this post the wrong way, I know I probably have a "troll" reputation - which is totally unwarranted, but hey ho - c'est la vie.

Just think it's a shame you have done so much and feel this way.

I understand if you don't take up the offer, no offence taken.

Either way, best of luck for the future and whatever you do I hope you find that 'buzz' back somehow.

H

P.S.

Tried you're RM Golf & RM Integra tune(s) - they were awesome, as per usual, no need for a lengthy review - they're superb :D

I second that bit about the X1, unless its an X1 only race, it should be banned from online. Its only good for grinding and beating B-spec in my opinion.

I've never posted here before but I have nothing but compliments for RKM Motorsports. Your tunes are awesome and I particularly like the Zonda X and Black Beauty.

The Zonda X is well, twitchy, at low-speeds theres some understeer, but once you get going its very balanced. I like how some of the oversteer is still retained while coming out of a corner because nothing feels better than drifting a ~900 bhp beast. I had my Zonda for a while and never tuned but I'm glad that I finally found it's true potential.

Your Mazda 787B tune, (I don't have the stealth model so no true Black Beauty for me... ) makes my favorite Group C car even better. It was fun without a tune but with yours it grips more and doesn't have much understeer. For some reason however, there is quite a bit of oversteer in 1st gear that makes the car quite difficult to drive in low-speed bends (Turn 1 of Nurburgring 24H Track).

These are by far my two favorite tunes and both get my thumbs up!! 👍
They are used almost everyday especially during the Real World Circuit seasonal events and when grinding. They are extremely fun to drive but still require some concentration. Keep up the good work!!

RKM Motorsport’s Purple Devil Z

PurpleDevilZ.jpg

Hey RJ, what's up?

Looks like the garage is falling apart and the other two are on a bit offended side for some reason I don't want to get into as I don't know anything about..

Sorry for calling you out but you seem quiet here and I would really like to review that Fairwitch after you update it :P

Last edited:
Either way, best of luck for the future and whatever you do I hope you find that 'buzz' back somehow.

H

P.S.

Tried you're RM Golf & RM Integra tune(s) - they were awesome, as per usual, no need for a lengthy review - they're superb :D
Thanks for the kind words Highlandor! 👍 I'm not much of an online racer so I'm quite surprised I even made it this far while staying mostly offline. :lol: The reason for being sick with the game is more to do with having done it for a year than being unsatisfied or anything like that. I think all 3 of us are very satisfied with what RKM has become actually. Especially since as you say, it's pretty much a brand name by itself now.

I've actually done a similar thing to you where I'm playing completely different games now to take my mind off GT. It's helping a lot I have to say. If I just sat bored staring at the GT Life screen I think I'd lose even more motivation, but playing other games actually helps getting that motivation back, as no other game I have has the same quality feel GT has. :D

But yeah, the buzz will come back. It always does. :D
Your Mazda 787B tune, (I don't have the stealth model so no true Black Beauty for me... ) makes my favorite Group C car even better. It was fun without a tune but with yours it grips more and doesn't have much understeer. For some reason however, there is quite a bit of oversteer in 1st gear that makes the car quite difficult to drive in low-speed bends (Turn 1 of Nurburgring 24H Track).
Thank you for the feedback! Yeah it's a bit oversteery in 1st gear, but it is an 880bhp car that weighs less than a small hatchback. It doesn't enjoy 1st gear in the slightest. :lol:
Looks like the garage is falling apart and the other two are on a bit offended side for some reason I don't want to get into as I don't know anything about..

Not sure what you're refering to there. :confused:

Not sure what you're referring to there. :confused:

I'm sorry, must be my ignorance kicking in here :S

I've just noticed how you have some trolls here and how much it is affecting you. Mind you, I have read some 50% of the thread and still reading newer parts so I do not know what exactly happened with some frequent individuals that tables turned suddenly, reading from your last few posts...

Trolls are everywhere, just don't feed them, that's my policy. And hey, when you guys will probably back, like an date to a next tune ? Or there isn't ?
On another note, I'm currently using the Enzo tuen of yours... Car feels good, but it doesn't turn. Must be Spec II fault :lol:

Roj,

Just drove the Focus WRC that you tuned for me a couple months back (the WRC grip series never went ahead so kinda forgot about it)

It's very good, I ran on the 24hr nurb layout. Plenty of power and acceleration with a high level of grip. It's not gonna be the fastest for the PP range it's in but it is a very nice drive and it's gonna be used on a more regular basis :)

Thanks for the kind words Highlandor! 👍 I'm not much of an online racer

No worries Roj - Kyle surprised one of the guys in our series when je popped into our lobby yesterday.

"DJ", a friend, has been kicking our ass' in RKM tuned cars for a while, he was a bit gobsmacked and "star-struck" after meeting Kyle in person (sort of)...

Quote "DJ" later that day - "can't believe that RJ was in your lobby m8"..

Luckily he managed to straighten his tongue out long enough to post a "thanks" to RJ on text chat!

Anyways - what I've quoted above.

Just to let you (and Dragonthing know) - some of the most respected and popular guys I race with are the "worst" i.e. slow, driviers.

BUT - the reason they're respected is because of they're attitude and what they do for others. Someone's speed on tack is almost irrelevant to some guys I know, also, for me, I feel the same way too.

Some of the slowest or "noobs" guys who have joined have easily been some of the best guys to have in the lobby, whereas pretty much all the guys we've kicked out / warned / or banned have either been the fastest or want to be the fastest on track.

This is no coincidence.

Alot of the guys I race with do not judge people by speed - if anything it's the opposite. Guys who refuse to race the fastest car(s) in each of our classes, guys who come in the lobby and either have a laugh or sit there quietly and respectful are the ones who get the biggest "hello" when they enter (the lobby) or "pat on the back" when they do well.

Lobbies, series or forums where "speed" is often the determining factor as to how 'cool' or 'accepted' someone is, are often the places you find most attitude or atmosphere.

We spend most of the night racing fast and fair, then when the racing stops we start ripping the p*ss out of each other and having a laugh or a chat.

Literally, alot of the time whoever wins is almost forgotten about once the "congratulations" have been posted, then we just caryon having a laugh, trying not to take ourselves to seriously.

The Vdubbers take the P out of the Vtec brigade, then the Ford guys jump in and within seconds the previous race result is almost forgotten about.

Wooden spoon,, "ricer", nattionality and all kinds of jokes are blaring through the mics and textchats - then as soon as the race starts, everyone knuckles down and races hard, fast and fair.

If not it only takes our Swedish friend Ahlby to type in "I'm having a bear" (he can't spell 'beer' - he always types 'bear' instead) and eveyone is falling about laughing.

We always run reverse grids and make car(s) as even as possible - even "noobs" have won races, no one person dominates any series or comes last every race.

Compare to racing AI by yourself and it's a different world - even though we races the same series over and over again, there's so many cars to chose from, the racing is very close, clean and exciting - no one gets bored and there's always something to laugh about or do.

Again, not meaning to brag or boast at all, just trying to help you maybe see that spending so much time offline is meaning youmiss some of this.

Just purely because you're "Roj" from RKM would have many guys in many lobbies "at your feet" as soon as you walked in!!!!!! As long as you race clean, where you finished in every race would be irrelevant.

Just trying to help you see things from a different angle, maybe so much offline has meant you haven't experienced or know about this - hope you don't mind, quite sad seeing you've helped so many, so many adore you guys and gal but you're not feeling that back. Certainly not meaning to sound patronising, but if you were to experience (in some way) what myself and others I race with do, it might help to keep that buzz at a slightly more consistenly level rather than being a little up 'n down at times.

As before - best of luck for the future, all three of you 👍

Honestly mean no offence or to sound patranising to you guys, I can relate to where your coming from in terms of being demotivated by the above is what helps keep me going, just thought I try and explain to you to see if this might help in someway.

Keep rockin"

H

👍

Highlandor
As before - best of luck for the future, all three of you 👍

Honestly mean no offence or to sound patranising to you guys, I can relate to where your coming from in terms of being demotivated by the above is what helps keep me going, just thought I try and explain to you to see if this might help in someway.

Keep rockin"

H

👍

I went and sent you a friend request on PSN :dopey: I can't just sit here and let you ramble on about amazing lobbies, I want in! :D it really does sound like everyone's dream of what online gaming should be...

I went and sent you a friend request on PSN :dopey: I can't just sit here and let you ramble on about amazing lobbies, I want in! :D it really does sound like everyone's dream of what online gaming should be...

The feedback we get from the regulars is that it is - mainly because we dont have prizes, leagues, championships or anything like that.

It's about racing by people who enjoy racing, a "good race" comes first, winning comes second.

Many guys are just as happy to be in a 3 or 4 way battle for the wooden spoon (last place) as they are to be battling at the front.

I'll send you a PM with the details of what racing we do each night of the week, just give me a shout as to what you're intersted in and if you need any helpp with choosing car(s) then let me know.

We tend to do things a bit different - we don't just "PP" race, we use handicaps to equalize cars performance (i.e. tyres - softs for the slowest cars and hards for the fastest), making the racing closer, some people struggle to get their heads round this - so if you need anything clarifying don't be afriad to ask 👍

GT350GT:

If my friends list full, send me a PM, I'll delete someone and add you 👍

Thanks
H

Revisited with Sport Hards on the 'ring.
Out to kill you? Yes.
Fun? Yes.
Fast? Yes.
Sounds terrible with the FC Transmission? Yes.
Sounds brutal without it? Yes.

It can pull some decently fast lap times even with not-so-steady-and-gentle driving.

I'm sorry, must be my ignorance kicking in here :S

I've just noticed how you have some trolls here and how much it is affecting you. Mind you, I have read some 50% of the thread and still reading newer parts so I do not know what exactly happened with some frequent individuals that tables turned suddenly, reading from your last few posts...
Oh that. Yeah, gotta love trolls/haters. :yuck: Doesn't mean I'm not nice to everyone else though. :P
Roj,

Just drove the Focus WRC that you tuned for me a couple months back (the WRC grip series never went ahead so kinda forgot about it)

It's very good, I ran on the 24hr nurb layout. Plenty of power and acceleration with a high level of grip. It's not gonna be the fastest for the PP range it's in but it is a very nice drive and it's gonna be used on a more regular basis :)
Shame the series never happened. That Focus would've done well I think. :P
Just purely because you're "Roj" from RKM would have many guys in many lobbies "at your feet" as soon as you walked in!!!!!!
:lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for the encouragements and such. 👍 I've experienced some online racing, mostly for fun, nothing serious and it was better than the offline AI of course, but I just cant see myself dedicating so much time to online play. I think the constant losses would just depress me though. :lol:
Revisited with Sport Hards on the 'ring.
Out to kill you? Yes.
Fun? Yes.
Fast? Yes.
Sounds terrible with the FC Transmission? Yes.
Sounds brutal without it? Yes.

It can pull some decently fast lap times even with not-so-steady-and-gentle driving.
Nice to see some positive feedback on the XKR. :D It's been a bit hit and miss from a few people. Thanks! 👍

A car with such ridiculous amounts of power can't be driven like they do in movies... That's probably why.

But it's fun, and I don't think that's deniable.

@Highlandor: I couldn't agree with you more! Please may I also join you in a lobby sometime? DANfour20 is my PSN.

I think I would also be like "I cant believe its Kyle of RKM!:drool:" (or Roj and Saph) 👍

Please don't lose interest in this game.

Roj
"Thank you for the encouragements and such. I've experienced some online racing, mostly for fun, nothing serious and it was better than the offline AI of course, but I just cant see myself dedicating so much time to online play. I think the constant losses would just depress me though."

How about, thinking of the guys who are winning thanks to your tunes (partly) You could sit there like a mechanic advising others on there settings.

"Roj my car is oversteering too much in the corners"

"LSD Settings 11/32/5"

"much better, thanks!"

Last edited:
I'm not sure the other drivers in the lobby would appreciate me taking up a slot and doing nothing but helping one guy/gal. :lol:

We already give advice here on GTP though. Isn't that the same thing really?

Thank you for the encouragements and such. 👍 I've experienced some online racing, mostly for fun, nothing serious and it was better than the offline AI of course, but I just cant see myself dedicating so much time to online play. I think the constant losses would just depress me though. :lol:

Ask GT350gt if he was depressed at not winning a race last night!! Hopefully he'll say he enjoyed it..

I win maybe 1 or 2 races a MONTH - doesn't bother me...

Because it's all about the racing, hopefully GT350gt maybe will know a little 'more' about how 'we' do things now. You ge so transfixed with the guys infront and behind, where you are and where you finish almost becomes obsolete. Plus with the reverse grid, you'll start at the front next race 👍

One race last night there were 6 of us fighting for the wooden spoon (last place), at Autumn Ring, bumper to bumper, side by side, lap after lap in 4 different cars and only 1 second between us all - it was crazy fun. We only finished 20 seconds behind the leader (he's an alien anyway "MEAGAINSTYOU") but he's also a really nice bloke 👍 very complimentary and chilled out - super clean racer too.

If you want to pop in and watch a few races Roj you're welcome, we have guys come in to watch anyway, it's not a problem. The only time it's an issue is when the lobby is full (usually around peak evening time) and guys are messaging that they're queuing to get in, then we kick any randomns / gatecrashers or ask the watchers to make way for the racers.

:D

Just because I absolutely adore odd machinery, I went for your X1999 flavour of the Insight. It's an interesting little car and I cannot say that the thoughts of popping a K20 into a real one would not excite me.

The X1999 is the next best thing - not quite the power but compensated for by the lighter weight.

Slapping all the components on (but with the stock setup), I did a careful reconnaisance of the car's potential at the Cote d' Azur in the Seasonal Japanese 90s championship, thinking I would be hopelessly outclassed.

Turned out, I should not have worried - overtaking opponents uphill right after the first corner was a surprise, as was leading by ca. 30 secs or so by the finish.

With the tock settings the car is pretty terminally understeery - i.e. it will not relish being taken by the scruff of the neck but a careful driver should be able to achieve quite good speeds, as long as the turn in is a bit early and therefore a bit less vigorous. Your hands will go numb from the wheelspin induced shaking of the controller and it will hardly set your pleasure centres on fire but an effective machine it is nevertheless.

Applying your settings shows some immediate improvement but also produced some puzzlement. The puzzlement was in terms of the gear ratios, with the car now having an improbably high theoretical top speed, which I imagine to have felt as slower acceleration up the hill.

On the other hand the handling is transformed. There is still understeer and the spinning wheels will occassionally shake you awake but neither tendency is as sharp as before. Care still produces best lap times, with steady lines and timely turn in being key. The settings do seem to have managed to give the car a better grip level out of turns, though, so some more front end adjustability is there.

Overall a curious little tune. Cannot say I will drive it to bits or that it will need an engine rebuild in my hands any time soon but a worthy enrichment to the game nevertheless 👍

On the more conventional, junior race car front, I also tried the S2000 LM and the Autobacs MR2. They do exhibit a slight power difference and consequently different PPs but they are close enough to being ballpark for a comparison test. In both cases I did a component only versus component plus setup test, on Trial Mountain for both, with an extra Tsukuba race thrown in for the MR (all the Supercar seasonal).

The LM first. I can certainly see why someone would take the car to an endurance race. It has way more grip than the engine is ever likely to trouble, good, stable braking and while there is a tad of understeer, you will neither plow off if you leave the braking too late, nor will the tail ever bite. Not terribly exciting but brutally effective.

Applying your setup changes little. The rear does become a bit lighter, and while still rock solid, one can now unsettle it in the right hander after the first tunnel. The car is just a tad more mobile (and thereby fun) but it is (in my opinion) more a matter of nuance than of a fundamental character change. I also did not manage better times but that is maybe something more extended familiarity would have achieved.

So far, so good. But in order to get a fair baseline, and to see how the car behaves when not so overtyred, I decided to give the same track a go on RHs.

The good news is that it is still a fairly benign, quick car, with much recommending it for endurance events. It will bite more easily, though (although hamfistedness is still essential to provoke it) and there is a more pronounced understeer. In essence, you need to work a bit harder at it, showing a greater precision when choosing your braking zones and ensuring a timely turn in and the car is still fast and vice free. The change in tyres does cost almost 3 seconds a lap, though.

So how does that compare to the MR-2? The latter, a MR, has a neigh on perfect weight distribution of only 47/53, so even in stock the handling is assured, without any of the heart in mouth moments typical of MRs. It lacks a bit in the power department compared to the S2000 but makes up for it in fun.

The rear will still not bite but it will more around a bit when exiting slow corners, nothing that a quick dab of oppo could not control, though.

The lower theoretical top speed (when compard to the S2000) was not an obstacle on the courses driven and I suppose the slightly better acceleration from its more anemic engine is helped by the shorter ratios.

Applying your settings tied down the rear a bit more but not so much as to limit the fun in any way. At the same time understeer was lessened ever so slightly, especially if you were late to turn in.

Tsukuba shows the car's wilder side (still more house cat with claws half extended than a bengal tiger) and more frequent opposite lock is needed but then the car still easily turns in very consistent lap times.

Overall both of the cars will easily master supercars of 600-620 PP, unless the track is very top speed driven. Of the two, I would probably choose the Toyota in most cases, as it is slightly more fun. The Honda, on the other hand compensates for its relatively subdued character by probably allowing you to do hours worth of laps at pretty much identical pace.

Both also shows tha hp is only one aspect of the equation - the ability to embarass much stronger supercars, and with higher PPs to boot, speaks volumes about the qualities of the cars 👍

Best racing I've ever done! Amazing people, friendly. I didn't win but i did Alfa proud (Hopefully H knows what i mean!) It's really competitive, but after we all really forget about it, and H takes the **** out of me for using an Alfa when my name is JDM... Roj you should join mate, you can use any car and they all stick close due to the amazing tyre limits for each individual car which makes racing great. I'm becoming a regular racer to the Historic races! Thanks again H.

Roj, I have two give some little feedback in three cars.

Enzo GT : Y U NO TURN MORE EASILY ? Even on RS it doesn't help... maybe it's Spec II (I hope :lol:)
Celica ST205 (Rally Car) : I didn't like the tune for this (atleast in Spec II), car doesn't seem alive, it feels like a box with wheels. But it got better than the stock one.
R34 Black Edition : Car feels a beast, quite hard to dominate, but it gives you tons of fun, even did block an R8 LMS on the outside on the 1st corner of the Nordschleife, Initial D style hahaha

And I could be invited to those online races ! :lol:

Best racing I've ever done! Amazing people, friendly. I didn't win but i did Alfa proud (Hopefully H knows what i mean!) It's really competitive, but after we all really forget about it, and H takes the **** out of me for using an Alfa when my name is JDM... Roj you should join mate, you can use any car and they all stick close due to the amazing tyre limits for each individual car which makes racing great. I'm becoming a regular racer to the Historic races! Thanks again H.

LOL

If you think the Historics was good racing - come along to the Touring Cars tonight, these are many people's favourites, the racing is insane.

Last time, 3 seconds between top 8 finish at Fuji, 7 of those were all different cars / manufacturers - these Touring Cars are simply the best racing on GT5 within all our series, the races are outrageous at times and there's so many cars to choose from that are on the pace 👍

Highlandor
LOL

If you think the Historics was good racing - come along to the Touring Cars tonight, these are many people's favourites, the racing is insane.

Last time, 3 seconds between top 8 finish at Fuji, 7 of those were all different cars / manufacturers - these Touring Cars are simply the best racing on GT5 within all our series, the races are outrageous at times and there's so many cars to choose from that are on the pace 👍

I kinda like the sound of that, as much as I loathe racing cars when driving online...unfortunately due to some ignorant 🤬 from work, I'm not exactly in a happy mood, but I feel like chilling out and racing

Latest Posts

Back