RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

RKM Motorsport NSX-R 3rd Anniversary Review:

Very entertaining review! And sweet victory! The NSX-R is doing what it does best, supercar spanking! :sly: Also very nice information in there, good to know the NSX's history dates back so far. :D

The lack of exit grip I can chalk down to the NSX trying to tear it's rear tyres up. :lol: I've tried to solve it but the NSX doesn't agree that saving rubber is a good thing. :P It's on my to-do list of things for the NSX though. It's just my favourite car to tinker with because it's always got a bit more to give.

Are there tunes but for racing soft tires? These are great but they're not for racing soft:(.

Enzo, R8 V10, Peugeot 908, Mazda 787B are all designed around racing softs (racing tires in general for 908/787B). The Corvette Z06 RM and Audi ABT TT-R are known to work well with race softs as well.

The C30 is the absolute quickest FWD I've tuned as yet and I've got my doubts as to whether it can be topped without a DC5 RM, and perhaps even that may be slower.

Curious as to whether you or anyone else has tried this tune on the Focus ST with luck? They share platforms in the real world so hopefully it'll work..?

Curious as to whether you or anyone else has tried this tune on the Focus ST with luck? They share platforms in the real world so hopefully it'll work..?

Roj tried it, seems that the Focus understeers noticeably more in general, regardless of setup, and perhaps has less overall grip available.

Funnily enough, we did try it on a Focus ST when the Volvo was being tuned. Didn't work as well as the Volvo unfortunately. It has terrible understeer on the brakes and the handling isn't as impressive. 👎:indiff:

Go away RJ! :P

Ok thanks, I'm fighting the understeer right now and figured it was worth a try? Btw, nice tunes guys, and I like the first page setup with the car pics and links! Overall, great "garage"!

Very entertaining review! And sweet victory! The NSX-R is doing what it does best, supercar spanking! :sly: Also very nice information in there, good to know the NSX's history dates back so far. :D

The lack of exit grip I can chalk down to the NSX trying to tear it's rear tyres up. :lol: I've tried to solve it but the NSX doesn't agree that saving rubber is a good thing. :P It's on my to-do list of things for the NSX though. It's just my favourite car to tinker with because it's always got a bit more to give.

It would be nice if you did that but as long as it still goes where you want it, that fine, and just before exiting a corner, I shift upwards early, then back down and continue as normal, a bit more grip! ;)

Yes I can. I just did. What are you going to do about it? Start tuning all the British cars before I can? Have fun! :sly::lol:

You're lucky my pedals are not in 100% condition......actually I'd still beat you in a race as is.:P Oh yes, I just went there. But seriously, the whole pedal thing is the main reason I'm not pumping out many tunes at the moment, call it a lack of motivation.

You're lucky my pedals are not in 100% condition......actually I'd still beat you in a race as is.:P Oh yes, I just went there. But seriously, the whole pedal thing is the main reason I'm not pumping out many tunes at the moment, call it a lack of motivation.

Save it for the tuner challenges, sheesh. :P

Midnight Z

The Nissan 370Z (Fairlady) is an attractive car no doubt but when paired with the Rays Volk Racing CE28N wheels it truly looks spectacular for a non-exotic.

5387207792_f764553603_b.jpg

I was looking for a car with under 500 bhp to use online and this fit the bill quite well as the weight is fairly low and I like looking at it. I followed your tune exactly except I left out the Rigidity Improvement as I believe some online lobbies don't allow it in the regulations and was eager to give it a go. I did have to put on Racing Soft Tires as everyone else in the lobby was using those.

First thing I noticed about the Midnight Z is that there is virtually no understeer. If anything it prone to a bit of oversteer (which I'm sure is partly because of my driving style) but it does feel very balanced. Its a very responsive car that can change directions quickly while remaining stable as long as you go a bit easy on the throttle. I like that very much since that adds to the excitement. Given the Midnight Z is Supercharged and not Turbo Charged the throttle response is phenomenal but not at all overwhelming.

In my first race online I was doing well and moved up to third place on Grand Valley on the fourth lap of five. There was a Subaru WRX STI in the lead that I gave up on catching since he was driving well and weighed in at 100kg less but I had second in my sights. Unfortunately on the last turn before the straight I happened to mash the throttle a bit too early and spun a bit which resulted in a fifth place finish. I did come in second a couple of times later that day but more importantly had a blast driving it.

I managed a 6:51 lap of the Ring with Racing Softs and got a bit of lift on the first section. The Z touched down safely and all was well. :) I'm sure a better driver could shave off a few seconds.

5387207662_f1ab0b84e6_b.jpg

I have over 80 premium cars that I have bought / won but the Midnight Z is in my top five favorites without a doubt. It's quick, handles great and is fun to drive. I love that it can achieve this level of handling while looking completely stock. (I liked the stock exhaust tips so I did an oil change and drove the car for 120 miles or so to achieve 503 bhp instead of purchasing a racing exhaust. I guess you could look at it as a money saving tip if you're low on credits.) Thanks for your hard work Roj.

Last edited:
yes, except for the paint, it should be the same car, also testet the tune on it and it feel more stable and balanced than before

I've loved everyone of your tunes so far, but i really wish I didn't waste a million on this piece of crap car. It understeers a lot and for a car of that caliber i expected a lot more. It has a huge turning radius. Any thing i can do to improve the steering on this Sail boat?

Midnight Z

*snip*

C'mon now, why's Roj getting all the reviews? :lol:

Can the Killer Whale tune work on a regular 908HDi? not the Matmut one

Yep. Same car under the skin so...

yes, except for the paint, it should be the same car, also testet the tune on it and it feel more stable and balanced than before

Exactly.

I've loved everyone of your tunes so far, but i really wish I didn't waste a million on this piece of crap car. It understeers a lot and for a car of that caliber i expected a lot more. It has a huge turning radius. Any thing i can do to improve the steering on this Sail boat?

A million on WHAT piece of crap car? Please explain.

Hi RKM

Just wanted to say that I have been using a number of your tunes recently and they have all been simply excellent. The turn in is always sharp, well balenced and also forgiving.

Several cars such as the lotus x2, NSX and 908, I did not think I could really push hard with nothing on but abs1 and bang out consistant clean laps without smashing it up - amazing.

Keep up the good work. If you find yourself short of cars to tune here is a couple of ideas:

BMW M3 GTR - not bad out of the box but could be special.
Audi R10 LMP car - control like the 908 would make a good battle.
Alfa C8 - well it is a quick Alfa

Hi RKM

Just wanted to say that I have been using a number of your tunes recently and they have all been simply excellent. The turn in is always sharp, well balenced and also forgiving.

Several cars such as the lotus x2, NSX and 908, I did not think I could really push hard with nothing on but abs1 and bang out consistant clean laps without smashing it up - amazing.

Keep up the good work. If you find yourself short of cars to tune here is a couple of ideas:

BMW M3 GTR - not bad out of the box but could be special.
Audi R10 LMP car - control like the 908 would make a good battle.
Alfa C8 - well it is a quick Alfa
Thanks for the comments!

I have an Alfa 8C and a Stealth R10, one day I will get round to tuning both. 👍

Hello, RJ, look at your tunes, now back to mine, now back at your tunes, now back to mine. Sadly, they aren't mine, but if you stopped tuning Mazda's and started tuning Honda's, you could get as many reviews as me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re driving the car that your car could handle like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s keys to the car you love the most. Look again, the keys are now diamonds. Anything is possible when you tune a Honda and not a Mazda. I’m on a Mustang.
Midnight Z

The Nissan 370Z (Fairlady) is an attractive car no doubt but when paired with the Rays Volk Racing CE28N wheels it truly looks spectacular for a non-exotic.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/5387207792_f764553603_b.jpg

I was looking for a car with under 500 bhp to use online and this fit the bill quite well as the weight is fairly low and I like looking at it. I followed your tune exactly except I left out the Rigidity Improvement as I believe some online lobbies don't allow it in the regulations and was eager to give it a go. I did have to put on Racing Soft Tires as everyone else in the lobby was using those.

First thing I noticed about the Midnight Z is that there is virtually no understeer. If anything it prone to a bit of oversteer (which I'm sure is partly because of my driving style) but it does feel very balanced. Its a very responsive car that can change directions quickly while remaining stable as long as you go a bit easy on the throttle. I like that very much since that adds to the excitement. Given the Midnight Z is Supercharged and not Turbo Charged the throttle response is phenomenal but not at all overwhelming.

In my first race online I was doing well and moved up to third place on Grand Valley on the fourth lap of five. There was a Subaru WRX STI in the lead that I gave up on catching since he was driving well and weighed in at 100kg less but I had second in my sights. Unfortunately on the last turn before the straight I happened to mash the throttle a bit too early and spun a bit which resulted in a fifth place finish. I did come in second a couple of times later that day but more importantly had a blast driving it.

I managed a 6:51 lap of the Ring with Racing Softs and got a bit of lift on the first section. The Z touched down safely and all was well. :) I'm sure a better driver could shave off a few seconds.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5212/5387207662_f1ab0b84e6_b.jpg

I have over 80 premium cars that I have bought / won but the Midnight Z is in my top five favorites without a doubt. It's quick, handles great and is fun to drive. I love that it can achieve this level of handling while looking completely stock. (I liked the stock exhaust tips so I did an oil change and drove the car for 120 miles or so to achieve 503 bhp instead of purchasing a racing exhaust. I guess you could look at it as a money saving tip if you're low on credits.) Thanks for your hard work Roj.
You're welcome! I must say, it's a lot more oversteery online than it is offline, I believe not adding the extra rigidity contributed too. However like you said, a bit of throttle control can easily overcome this. 👍 Glad you enjoyed the tune and had some fun online with it! :D

Very sexy pics, too. :sly:
Yeah but it's not racing we're debating here, it's tuning. :P
It would be nice if you did that but as long as it still goes where you want it, that fine, and just before exiting a corner, I shift upwards early, then back down and continue as normal, a bit more grip! ;)
If you can get the revs high enough but still low enough to not wheelspin, you won't need to shift back down since the NSX has the power to pull from low revs. :D:tup:

just tested some of your tunes and also will make a review when I'll find some time...

so far I tested the 300ZX, but didn't like it so much, massive oversteer on the brake, understeer in the entry, oversteer at the exit of the corner. Maybe it's just my drivingstyle, or the fact, that I play with controler, but I just can't enjoy it.
But also testsed your RX7 and the 908. Didn't drove the 908 for long, but it felt very balanced and easier to drive than with stocksetting. the RX7 is nice to drive, great balance and lots of grip...

Oh sorry, I forgot the most important part of that post. The Enzo is the piece of crap I'm referring to.

I kinda figured.

I managed a 6:35 at the Ring with quite a few mistakes so it's not exactly slow... But it is indeed still a complete pig for the tires it uses and the power available. That said, before the tune... It would be forced to take corners slower than most cars on S3s take them at due to the understeer.

STi S400

Looking for a great handling 400 bhp car? This is it. I've seen quite a few people using it online. It's lightweight at only 1152kg. I've seen a few lobbies set the lower limit to 1100kg so the Subaru fits in nicely.

The 4WD drivetrain along with your spot on limited slip differential settings make this a very forgiving car to drive. There is a small hint of understeer which is to be expected from a 4WD system but can easily be remedied with a quick down shift right before entering a corner. In the image below I clipped the grass with the back wheel and steered hard back on to the road with quite a bit of smoke but not too much drama. Again, very forgiving which is always welcome for Dual Shock users like myself.

5389073841_1e7175c4cb_b.jpg

I managed a 7'19" lap of the Nurburgring and had a lot of fun doing it. It is very grippy with Sports Soft tires and is quick in a straight line even with only 400 bhp given the low weight.

I thought the top speed on the transmission was a bit high so I did bring that down a bit for quicker acceleration as I primarily take this car on twisty courses and with the power available it won't go over 200 mph. I did use different wheels and front and rear aero kits as I try to maintain a fairly stock look whenever possible.

5389073717_686b39cd41_b.jpg

So this is a quick car with forgiving handling and is easy on the eyes. So what's the downside? Not sure there is one other than I noticed when paired with Racing Soft tires which this tune is not designed around the suspension seems to "skip" along the track in a fast bend on a track like Circuit de la Sarthe. I'm not sure that is necessarily bad but just feels a bit odd.

So by now you've decided you want one. Good choice! This is a fairly inexpensive car to buy and tune so if you are low on credits and it will work great online and most likely get you Golds in the Special Event Rally. My plans are to see how it copes with 500 bhp and also how it does off road since I used an EVO for that prior and will post an update then.

Thanks very much for the tune Rotary Junkie and keep up the great work.

Last edited:
About the gearing... I noticed you have to shift that Impreza at 7000rpm, no later, even with the high-RPM turbo... And to get optimum high-speed (150+mph) acceleration, it NEEDS the max-length gearing because of the powerband (in fact, at 400hp it's absolutely perfect, it tops out doing 6500rpm which is where peak power happens). Shortening the gearing will help on very tight courses like Eiger Norwand as you can shift at like 6750rpm and be very near peak power at all times but otherwise it's harmful.

As for the rest, it sounds about dead on... It'll go sideways if you want it to (trail-braking into corners) but it won't spin without large amounts of provocation, and it's plenty quick around corners and down straights.

Review of RKM Motorsport’s Ford GT600

66JS3.jpg

GT. Corvette. Viper. American made cars built in America. While the Corvette and Viper are great cars with 750+ HP under their hoods, this Ford GT has 600HP. You may think that has no chance at all against the 'Vette and Viper, you would be shooting yourself in the foot. With 507ft-lb of torque, this mid engine rear wheel drive piece of muscle is a running death trap for other racers. It can any corner like a mouse in a pipe, with a lot of grip and incredibly fast acceleration on a chassis weighing 1203KG, there simply is no competition when this GT is unleashed on the track.

uOa9g.jpg

If the pure enjoyment of driving this car is not enough, then maybe the sound this car makes will send chills down your spine. This GT has been fine tuned to sound and preform like an angel singing in a choir. Driving this car is bliss, it will take absolutely anything thrown at it by the driver. Many attempts have been made to destabilize this car, all ending up in complete failure. It simply cannot happen, this car remains stuck to the ground at all times. Well, not all the time...

gmNTS.jpg

RKM Motorsports release of this car is fantastic, and is easily shown by how this car drives on the track. RKM fine tuned everything, and the result is this beautiful masterpiece that can be driven on the track for an adrenaline rush or off the track for a joy ride. Take note all you Civic and Supra drivers, this is how a car should be properly tuned and driven. You will be left in the dust when this GT appears on the track.

More Photographs

after my original post has never been approved for some reason (anti-spam control for new members) i now decided to write one again

first of all, thank you for all of your work on those tunes, they make the game so much more enjoyable for me as i am not very experienced/talented in tuning myself :D

i've applied many of your tunes and i am constantly checking back for updates
(so far i'm using your versions of the RX-7, Gallardo, Z06, C30, Abt TT-R, Ford GT, RGT, Peugeot 908, Challenger SRT8, C36 AMG, Civic RM, the R8 and both Elises)
I am very pleased with what i have tried so far and i really do appreciate your work

fun fact: i had the feeling that the setup for Romeo works even better online than offline, i only spent about 20 minutes seperately though
i was wondering if you experienced the same

Back