RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

Will try and work my way through and update them. If I can work out which are your tunes!

Your second post says that the pre spec 2 tunes won't be text linked? Am I reading that wrong? I can't see your Volvo C30 in that list? (No particular reason for me picking that car, I just know thats one of yours that I've got!).

The DLC thing explains why I haven't got those particular cars then!

You're reading it right. Any tune that isn't updated for Spec 2 will just stay in the archives. There's no point putting any spotlight on tunes that are 2 years out of date now. If any archived tune gets updated, it'll be moved up into the first post (and text linked) to show it's up to date. 👍

You're reading it right. Any tune that isn't updated for Spec 2 will just stay in the archives. There's no point putting any spotlight on tunes that are 2 years out of date now. If any archived tune gets updated, it'll be moved up into the first post (and text linked) to show it's up to date. 👍
Fair enough. So stuff like your C30 & the Ikeamobile hasn't been updated for Spec 2? That'll make my job easier then if I haven't got too many to update! 👍

Fair enough. So stuff like your C30 & the Ikeamobile hasn't been updated for Spec 2? That'll make my job easier then if I haven't got too many to update! 👍
Yeah, RJ will probably update those in the future though.
Took me a minute to figure out, but your host is down. None of the pics/banners/links are loading.

Our host is having server maintenance I believe. Not sure how long it'll last for.

RKM Motorsport’s F-Bomb Z/28

FBomb.jpg

FBomb_Big.jpg

Based on: Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
Obtained: New Car Dealership

Drivetrain: FR
Horsepower: 381 BHP (@ 192 miles)
Torque:---- 395 ft-lb
Weight:---- 1282 kg
PP:-------- 500

PARTS
GT Auto

Front Aero Type A
PDI P525N Wheels

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 2
ECU Tuning
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Supercharger
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
FC Gearbox
Fully Customizable LSD
Fully Customizable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tires

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/0

Ballast
Amount:-- 37
Position: 50

Engine
Power Limiter

Power Level: 100%

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 0/7
Accel:-- 0/30
Braking: 0/18

Transmission
Transmission

Set Final 1, then Max Speed, then Final 2 + individual ratios.
1st:-- 3.104
2nd:-- 2.520
3rd:-- 2.000
4th:-- 1.550
5th:-- 1.180
Final: 4.300/2.500
Max Speed: 112

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -15/-15
Spring Rate: 12.9/5.8
Extension:-- 9/9
Compression: 6/4
Anti-Roll:-- 1/1
Camber:----- 2.3/1.4
Toe:-------- -0.12/0.15

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 5/7

Intended Driving Options
Transmission: Manual (MT)
ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF

Tuner Comments:
Well...

Let's just say the name reflects what the competition will be saying in about, erm, another 30 seconds.

is this a drag tune?

RKM Motorsport's Python

Python.jpg

Python_Big.jpg

Based on: Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR '08
Obtained: Brand new from Dodge

Drivetrain: FR
Horsepower: 1030 BHP (@ 273.1 miles)
Torque:---- 121 kgfm
Weight:---- 1257 kg
PP:-------- 664

PARTS
GT Auto

Oil Change
Verde Gemma Metallizzato Paint

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Fibre Bonnet (Body Colour)
Sports ECU
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Supercharger
Fully Customisable Transmission
Clutch: Twin-Plate
Flywheel: Semi-Racing
Fully Customisable LSD
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Racing Soft Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/0

Ballast
Amount:-- 0
Position: 0

Engine
Power Limiter

Power Level: 100.0%

Transmission
Transmission

Set Final 1, then Max Speed, then Final 2 + individual ratios.
1st:-- 3.578
2nd:-- 2.500
3rd:-- 1.868
4th:-- 1.550
5th:-- 1.350
6th:-- 1.161
Final: 3.000/2.000
Max Speed: 180 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 0/5
Accel:-- 0/60
Braking: 0/5

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -20/-20
Spring Rate: 10.0/7.5
Extension:-- 7/6
Compression: 4/4
Anti-Roll:-- 1/7
Camber:----- 2.5/1.5
Toe:-------- -0.25/0.00

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 4/6

Intended Driving Options
Transmission: Manual (MT)
ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF

Tuner Comments:
Oh look, here's the RKM Python, a Dodge Viper ACR with a little more bite...

There is something I can't place my finger on here...whilst this car is not the first choice for proper racing, and whilst it doesn't really handle like a supercar should, it is still so amazing to drive it. And you will enjoy it until it bites you...which is your own fault :sly:

Just remember to be careful with that throttle...you might regret it otherwise

Any chance you can give me the optimized gear ratios for this car for the Cote D'Azure track? I've done some tweaking myself, but I can't figure out how to get more acceleration out of the lower gears. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Here's just a quick version of what I'd try, especially for a tight-ish track.

Reset to default, top speed to minimum, then final to minimum.

1st as long as possible, 4th, 5th, and 6th as short as possible, 3rd evenly spaced between 2nd and 4th, 2nd left default. Not sure what exactly default final is for the Viper but I'm guessing somewhere around 3.5-3.7, so it should work out quite nicely, though you still won't need 6th at Monaco.

Here's just a quick version of what I'd try, especially for a tight-ish track.

Reset to default, top speed to minimum, then final to minimum.

1st as long as possible, 4th, 5th, and 6th as short as possible, 3rd evenly spaced between 2nd and 4th, 2nd left default. Not sure what exactly default final is for the Viper but I'm guessing somewhere around 3.5-3.7, so it should work out quite nicely, though you still won't need 6th at Monaco.

RJ, when you say "set final to minimum" do you mean the smallest numerical value on the display? The reason I ask this is because the smallest number will produce the highest top speed, while the greatest number will result in the lowest top speed. This of course takes for granted the individual gear ratios have not been changed for either condition.

Dissertation on what I've learned about tranny tuning, in GT5 to follow.

Ok, said I'd follow with a dissertation on tuning a transmission. So here for your consideration, amusement and/or derision;

I’d like to start this by saying I am by no means an authority on GT5 tuning. I’ve only played GT5 a year and a half and my online racing career is only a little over a year old. That being said, also know that my thoughts and experiences with tuning are greatly influenced by the folks here at RKM (first resource when looking for tunes for offline events), CSLACR (first resource for online tunes), Owensracing (friend, tuning and testing partner and driving coach), MULE_9242, all the folks at PURE, Adrenaline’s site (Adrenatune) and all the others that have assisted my efforts to eek the last tenth out of my driving. In other words, a bunch of people.

There are several methods for reaching a tweaked tranny setup. The general rule is to make your final drive and first gear(s) as “tall” (lowest numerical value) as they will go, use the highest gear to adjust your top speed and balance the rest to make as even and narrow a difference between the gears as possible.
The “tranny trick”, which is used to essentially squash the ratios together, is a quick method to get a workable transmission setup and what I use when I need “Bob” to go faster, is as follows;
1. Set to default
2. Set top speed slider all the way left (lowest number)
3. Set Final drive all the way to the right (highest number)
a. This process smashes the gears into a tight pattern as displayed in the graph above.
4. Set your individual gear ratios as desired
a. 1st is usually all the way left or a 100 points shy of all the way left
b. 2nd is usually set 100 or 200 points left of where it started
c. The middle gears will usually be slid to the right in varying amounts but a good baseline is as follows;
i. 3rd move 50-100 to the right
ii. 4th 100-150 right
iii. 5th 150-200 right
iv. 6th (if not top gear) 200 or all the way right
v. 7th or 8th, all the way right.
5. Now go back and reset your final drive towards the left until the desired top speed is attained.
An interesting thing to note about this method is while you’re moving the top speed slider the individual gear ratios will change. This makes sense, since the program is constrained with the constant final drive value. After setting it and moving to step 3 and adjusting the final drive the gear ratios remain the same, unless, you reset the top speed slider.
To illustrate this do the following;

1. Reset tranny to default.
2. Set top speed slider to minimum.
a. Take note of the lowest value in each gear ratio, excluding the final drive, as its range is fixed for each car.
3. Set the final drive slider to maximum.
a. The gear ratios should not have changed.​
4. Reset the top speed slider by bumping it right then back left.
a. You will now have a different, and usually taller (smaller numbers, higher top speeds) set of ratio ranges for each gear.
I’m still not sure if using the different ratios is desired, since none of the tuners I resource seem to have noted this, but in some cases the change in ratio ranges is significant and I’m sure can make quite a difference in acceleration rates. There was quite a bit of discussion on this between CSLACR and a couple others in CSLs tuning thread and basically starts here.

A method I’ve been using lately is a modification on the basic “tranny trick” mentioned above. In this method, I follow steps 1-3 above, but when setting the individual gear ratios, I use the graph above to align the gearing in a fashion consistent with the idea that keeping the differences as narrow as possible is better than wider.

Using the individual gear ratios as a means of controlling top speed is much more complicated than using the final drive. Using the tranny trick, setting all the individual ratios and leaving them be, then using the final drive value to adjust your top speed is much simpler, but may not give optimum acceleration.

While neither method takes into account the power band of a particular car, either is still better than the stock gearing.

Last edited:
1. Set to default
2. Set top speed slider all the way left (lowest number)
3. Set Final drive all the way to the right (highest number)
a. This process smashes the gears into a tight pattern as displayed in the graph above.
4. Set your individual gear ratios as desired
a. 1st is usually all the way left or a 100 points shy of all the way left
b. 2nd is usually set 100 or 200 points left of where it started
c. The middle gears will usually be slid to the right in varying amounts but a good baseline is as follows;
i. 3rd move 50-100 to the right
ii. 4th 100-150 right
iii. 5th 150-200 right
iv. 6th (if not top gear) 200 or all the way right
v. 7th or 8th, all the way right.
5. Now go back and reset your final drive towards the left until the desired top speed is attained.

Step 3 in this process is useless, since you aren't changing the top speed, it's just being overwritten by step 5.

Most common way is this:
Final at max (Highest number possible / to the right)
Top Speed Min (Lowest number / to the left)
1st Min (Lowest number / to the left)
6th Max (Highest number possible / to the right)
Then Lower final, until Top Speed in the top right corner, is what you need.
Set 2-5 as you wish. But Praiano's 20/40/60/80 method is quick and easy, but I've found I still prefer when 2nd is at minimum.​

Far be it from me to dispute the usefulness of step 3. Since, without moving the top speed slider after setting the final, the ratios will not change. I do that because several tuning sheets advise it and to help squash the pattern as far down as it can go. If I want an altogether different set of ratios I'll bump the top speed after moving the final all the way right. Later in the post I described how that works.

In other words, the Final Gear setting will have no effect on gear ratio ranges until the Top Speed slide selector gets changed.

Thanks! Beat the track, but when I tried to beat it on B-Spec my Bob kept crashing into the left at nouvelle chicane, and again at the anthony noghes.... ****ing Bob.

Thanks! Beat the track, but when I tried to beat it on B-Spec my Bob kept crashing into the left at nouvelle chicane, and again at the anthony noghes.... ****ing Bob.

Bob has always been terrible at Cote d'Azur. The only way I've found to avoid it is to spam "pace down" while Bob is still in the tunnel and pray that he does indeed slow down so he can avoid hitting the barrier.

Bob has always been terrible at Cote d'Azur. The only way I've found to avoid it is to spam "pace down" while Bob is still in the tunnel and pray that he does indeed slow down so he can avoid hitting the barrier.

The real problem is that he tries to pass on the inside as he's coming out of the tunnel. Could totally be fixed by adding a "Don't pass" or "Draft" option to the Bob commands.

Back