RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

OK, got another one and a half reviews. Adding to the comments on thje RX-8 (that would be the half), I tried it some more on GVS and wish as I might, I simply cannot achieve a better time than with the components and stock settings. My best is about 0.5secs off or so, in spite of the car being better tied down, better controlled and more predictable. No idea hoe that is possible. I subsequently did some runs on Trial Mountain and the car is equally solid. All in all an excellent tune but somehow not quite as fast as the others in the power to weight ratio from you guys 👍

Given the seasonals I also tried the Gallardo, although to make it at least a bit challenging, mine was a LP590, rather than 710 :) This might have an influence on how well it works I expect, so take what you read here with a grain of salt. I did the first two races with the stock settings, simply because I did not remember you tuning the car. It was simply dreadful. The acceleration was OK but braking was soooo unreasonably twitchy (maybe better with a wheel, dunno) and braking into corners would have the car all over the place. Possibly it is just not meant to be my favourite and in stock it surely wasn't.

Applying your settings before heading to the next races truly transformed a car. While still not my favourite it did certainly turn into a predictable and fast vehicle, even if the fun element was lacking a bit. Possibly the 120 missing from the designation are the thing that would turn it more fun, which I plan to test out over the coming days. First up the braking is now completely assured and not a dance on eggs as previously. High or low speed, the car will slow down with no drama.

Handling is also much more consistent and you can guide the car easily, as opposed to being on your toes the whole time. It's basic balance is that of slight understeer, which can easily be corrected with full throttle application, which gets the tail around nicely - not too much, though - all very user friendly and controllable. I know this may not sound flattering but the car feels a bit like a very fast TT - no faults per se but somehow not made for fun - much more for simply getting solid times in. And even with semi stock power this car will be a bit too much for the seasonals (i.e. winning is easy).

Overall it is driveable, effective and a very good way for a relative novice to explore a MR setup. 👍

Purple Devil Z and Golf R32 are both reviewless at the moment.

Yeah, those are on my list, but I was going to put them into a couple of super shootouts... the 5 versions of the Z in one, and the Golf in a massive 11 car hatchback shootout (cheating and calling the EXA a hatchback). I'll bump those to the top of my review list after I get done running the muscle cars :)

On a side note, I've been running your tunes pretty steadily online. The SP1 and the DB9 in PP restricted races have both caused the competition to rage-quit the race in frustration, and the Insight (!) has proven capable in tire restricted / pp restricted runs, getting me podium spots in my normal race group (on comfort soft tires, and even in the rain). The NSX (on race tires for online play) has also proven to be a steady competitor for me in the 400HP group.

The only car I've run with your tune that hasn't been competitive in pp restricted runs is the Audi ABT Touring car (not yet reviewed). It handles tremendously, but does not have the power to keep up with a lot of the cars in that PP class.

Last edited:
racer39658
On a side note, I've been running your tunes pretty steadily online. The SP1 and the DB9 in PP restricted races have both caused the competition to rage-quit the race in frustration, and the Insight (!) has proven capable in tire restriced / pp restricted runs, getting me podium spots in my normal race group. The NSX (on race tires for online play) has also proven to be a steady competitor for me in the 400HP group.

I fully agree in terms os the SP1 and NSX...though I haven't put a review up yet (my bad) they are by far superior to the point where people have quit the race or accused me of cheating

Raybrig NSX - 525hp
Stock + Oil Change + Stage 2 Turbo
Racing Soft Tires
Default tranny used in every test to avoid gearing advantages.
All other settings were 'as written' by the tuners.
15 laps for every tune
Test Track - Tsukuba
Offline Practice mode
Grip Reduction - Real

I had experimented with the NSX's with some success, but nothing that matched my Supra's speed or feel. Honestly, I don't think there's a car I feel more comfortable in, than the JGTC Supra's. While my Supra worked well for the majority of tracks in the game, I found the NSX's to excel at the flatter, non banked tracks. Not to mention the Japanese rooms I joined (Assuming I actually got to race, before getting kicked for being American) were almost exclusively using NSX's. I figured there had to be something to it and even if not, I'd like to have an NSX on hand for tracks like... Rome, Suzuka, Cote De Azure, and others of the same nature. The track I chose for this test is Tsukuba. This is a short, flat, tight and very technical track that should be excellent for finding out which tune would work best for me on these types of tracks.

3.5: Stock
To get warmed up I used the *stock set up and ran 15 laps. Before blindly jumping in, I used a custom LSD of my own as well as maxed out the downforce of the car, to give it a fair chance and strong baseline for comparison.

Once on track the stock tune felt rather solid. It had a slight tendency to oversteer on hard corner entry, both on and off the brakes. The NSX's always seem to be tail happy so I was expecting this, and my LSD settings could be adjusted to help tame that as well. Although I must admit, the oversteer never got to an uncontrollable state, I didn't go completely sideways, but the back end did step out, enough to break traction and lose time. I quickly noticed that this is a track where corner exit is the key, because every exit, leads you into the next entry. Screwing up one, throws off the next and has a domino effect. Another key note, was that forward bite would be an issue, with such low speeds in the centers and trying to get back to the throttle as quick as possible, I found throttle modulation to be the key to quick laps. On the other side of the corners, brake modulation was equally important. Too much brake and you blow through the apex and lose valuable time. Final key to this track, I assume will be conservative LSD settings, that allow you to put 1 wheel on the grass, as you often will if you're pushing it like you should, without completely spinning out, like some cars do.
3 Best Laps

3rd: RKM Motorsports
Before even applying this tune, I'm afraid of the LSD settings. Accel of 55 should prove to be quite the challenge. One thing I always enjoy about RKM, is they refuse to 'adjust' a stock tune, they always change it completely. Some others are afraid to deviate too far from stock and it may hinder their overall ability by containing themselves in such conservative ways. Although, if RKM has over reached, I'll be eating these words in 15 short laps, lol. The trend I see with RKM is stiff springs, soft bar. Coming from the circle track world, there was always 2 sides of suspension theory... well there's a ton more than that, but roll with me... Big bar, soft spring or small bar big spring. RKM has opted to use the latter of the two and in past tests, it's seem to fit my style. I also know that RJ and I are somewhat close on lap times, so it probably also helps to know we're both pushing the car to roughly the same limits. I must admit, RJ's times seem to be consistently quicker than mine, but if I ever make the swap to MT that may change :P

Anywho... The LSD settings seemed to help the car make it through the larger sweeping turns, but proved to be difficult on the tighter turns, although was much more manageable than I expected. The RKM tune consistently carried a higher speed down the straight measured at the line, but it didn't seem to matter with a straight this short as the ghost seemed to catch right back up, but braking later, due to a lower straight speed. Overall the suspension felt fine. It seemed to have a tendency to break loose far more often than the MCH tune, for which I blame the LSD.
3 Best Laps

The full comparison of this tune as well as LDP, Deep Forest Tunery & Motor City Tunes can be found here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5162697#post5162697

The F1 Stealth is one that I intend to do. Thanks to the extra downforce it's got much more potential than the normal F1. I'll have something done for it in the near future.

Thank you Sir! I'll try my best to patiently wait for your F1 Stealth tunes :) Cheers,

American Muscle meets Trial Mountain
Muscle never goes out of style

Camaro SC550
Camaro.jpg

Fresh out of the Dealer: 414 HP, 1755 kg, 493 PP, Sports Hard Tires
Best Lap Time: 1:41.178
Thoughts: A car I love in real life, the weight really made it feel sluggish here. Cornering was slow, as expected, but the 400 horses felt more like 300. Braking felt good, and the car was relatively stable on exit for a FR car. It was just lacking that oomph on launch or down the straights.

Parts added, no settings changes: 532 HP, 1318 kg, 568 PP, Sports Soft Tires
Best Lap Time: 1:31.605
Thoughts: As always, the parts helped a lot on this car, mostly in the straights. The corners were still taken at below average speed, and the braking was sub-par. The cars biggest weakness for me was the general sluggish feel; it felt like there was a delay in response from me wanting to start a turn and the car deciding to comply, and that feeling was amplified through the S-turn transitions.

Parts added, RKM Tune, 5 lap first impression: 533 HP, 1318 kg, 571 PP, Sports Soft Tires
Best Lap Time: 1:30.152
Thoughts: Oh what fun! Much more responsive going into corners, decent corner speed for a car this size, and now with enough braking power to dive into a corner. The biggest change, however, was how controlled the Camaro is coming out of a turn. Hammer the throttle, control the little bit of slide, and away you go.

After a couple more races...
Best Lap Time: 1:29.699
Thoughts: I had a hard time topping my 5-lap time by a significant amount, mainly because I was able to find a nice line very quickly in it. Once you remember it's a bit heavy, and plan out your transitions, the car just falls into a very fast groove. It likes late apexes in the tight corners, and early turn-ins in the fast corners. For a FR car, the back end is pretty well behaved, but you can still turn up a decent cloud of tire smoke leaving a corner in a controlled power-slide. May not be the fastest car, but it rates very high in the fun factor.

Challenger GTS
Challenger.jpg

Fresh out of the Dealer: 412 HP, 1878 kg, 485 PP, Sports Hard Tires
Best Lap Time: 1:41.733
Thoughts: Like the Camaro, only more weight, which means more sluggish and slower in corners. However, all that extra junk in her trunk helped keep the rear tires planted, which meant more aggressive corner exits without sliding. The Dodge also has a sweeter exhaust growl. It's just not as fast.

Parts added, no settings changes: 748 HP, 1412 kg, 606 PP, Sports Soft Tires
Best Lap Time: 1:31.387
Thoughts: Looks like I got an extra 30 horses from the oil change, not sure if it made much difference. Like the Camaro, the Dodge was slow to turn in, slow through corners, and insufficient on the brakes, all of which were amplified by the extra speed. The weight of the car helped control the HP on the throttle, and the result was a car that was pretty nice until you had to sit waiting for it to creep through a corner.

Parts added, RKM Tune, 5 lap first impression: 750 HP, 1412 kg, 610 PP, Sports Soft Tires
Best Lap Time: 1:31.559
Thoughts: The car felt nicer, but I wasn't able to take advantage of it in the first 5 laps. Corner speeds and braking both felt better, turn in was still a bit sluggish, and the exit slide was a bit more controllable. I know I tend to be more aggressive driving a tune than stock, as they are much more stable, but that cost me in the lap time department in the first impression run.

Best Lap Time: 1:29.877
Thoughts: I finally started to get used to the car. The corner speed is down a bit compared to the Camaro, but this car just launches when you step on the gas. It likes to spin the back tires, even in third gear, and it's less controlled in the slide than I like, so a patient touch on the throttle was really needed. However, I turned out some suprisingly consistant lap times considering how easy it is to get the tire smoke going.

These two cars were pretty evenly matched all the way through the process. End result: Camaro does better on the brakes, in the corners, and is more controlled on corner exit. The Challenger, on the other hand, gets it done with brute force on the straights and a very nice launch leaving the corners. On a longer track, I'd take the Dodge for the horses, but on something tight and twisty, I'll take the handling of the Chevy. Overall, two great cars, with Trial Mountain being a nice neutral ground to compare them.

Mustang Mach R
I'm giving this car, and others from my earlier reviews, a second run. I feel I'm a much better driver without the assists than I was when I started trying out the tunes, and wanted to see if that was true :)
Previous Best Lap Time: 1:33.450
Best Lap Time: 1:31.611
Thoughts: When I argued that this car overpowered the tires, Rotary Junkie should have smacked me in the back of the head and said "learn some throttle control, rookie!" The old muscle isn't quite as fast as the Challenger, but it's close. The cornering is still this big steel beast's weak spot, as corner speeds were down compared to both of the new cars. But this car has the sweetest V-8 growl :)

Purple Devil Z and Golf R32 are both reviewless at the moment.

I would start on one of these 2 (the Golf R32 is especially intriguing), but I'm working up the reviews of the RKM Coffee Car and Mach 1, and I might revisit your Gallardo, since I've decided to do my own tune for it... Maybe after these 2 or 3 reviews I'll do the Golf, though the C30 is also very interesting...

The NSX-R prototype LM road car is the ultimate NSX. Also my favourite car in GTPSP, with 537hp and an unbelievably easy standard setting that allowed it to crush anything that dared challenge it. I had wanted one ever since I got GT5, and now, finally, I have one. For this car I've thrown away everything. Almost all the cars that I don't use and is of any value have been sold, because they were all going to be replaced by a car that I consider to be almost perfect.

And I wasn't disappointed. Even without restoring the engine or chassis, it felt brilliant. It was so forgiving, and so fast! On my first lap, it did a 1:07.644. That's just 0.6 seconds off the Enzo's lap, and that had damn near 900hp and weighed 200kg less. So, quite a quick car then, the NSX LM. And also, pretty much flawless. After 5 laps of the TGTT, I couldn't find much wrong with it. I suppose it understeers a bit on slow corners but really, thats not too important on a course like the TGTT. Still, lets see what the RKM tune could do to it.

Ok, out for more laps. Well, I can't tell what the suspension is doing differently now, but I can definitely feel the downforce working, gluing the car to the track. The car is even more stable now, the spoiler forcing the car down, and the suspension helping it grip through turns at ridiculous speeds. This thing is immensely fast, it lapped the TGTT quicker than the Enzo this time round, making it the fastest road legal thing I've driven around this track. To be honest, what you've done here is what you did with the NSX 3rd anniversary, which is take a car which is already perfect, and then turning it into something which surpasses perfection. It even feels like its 3 year old brother, blindingly fast, effortlessly easy to drive, and fun enough to keep you driving pointlessly until your controller runs out of battery. Which is what just happened.

Laptimes (tested on the TGTT)
1:07.644(before)
1:06.337(after)

NSX-R LM road car vs NSX GT500 (tested on TGTT)
The road car version of the NSX LM is very good, I know, I just reviewed it. But there was one claim you made in particular that I'm interested in. You said that 'this NSX LM is a race car for the road. All it needs is a big wing and some stickers and it’ll look like it belongs on the front row at Suzuka.' Now, this 'racing car for the road' thing has been said countless times, and most of the times, it's all rubbish. But just for fun, I gave it a go. So, it looks like a race car, and certainly sounds like one, but is it as fast as one?

(For this test, I'll be using a NSX stealth model, partly because I don't have money for a proper one, but mostly because it's already maxed with 667hp. )

First, the GT500. I remembered that was a ******* to drive, a constant knife edge. Go into a corner to quickly, it'll understeer. Stamp on the power midway through one, it'll spit you off the track instantly. And even with the RKM tune for it, it's still requires a very, very precise touch to go quick. But when you do get it right, god it's quick. Doing a 1:06.129 on the first lap out. But it was one lap of wrestling this matte black monster into shape and endless twitching and worrying. It's great if you're doing a 1 lap blast of the track, but constantly having to fight both the car and the guy you're racing is going to wear you out over a period of 3 laps.

Now, the NSX LM. I know it's good. And that it corners well. I also know that in a long 5 lap race, I would rather take this over the GT500 because it doesn't bite as much and not as hard. But is it faster than its JGTC GT500 brother? Well, unbelievably, it is. It may be 130kg heavier and have less downforce, but it was even quicker than its race bred counterpart. Ok, it was by a small margin of 0.1xx seconds, but still, that is quite an achievement considering the two cars had pretty much the same power output (669hp for the LM vs 667hp for the GT500). And almost all of it, was down to how easy the LM version was to drive.

Laptimes
NSX LM road car 1:06.024
NSX GT500 1:06.129

Right guys, I need something to do this afternoon/weekend. Give me one car you would like reviewed. Preferably one easily available, or one in my garage (see sig). You may also list more than one, just any ones you want reviewed.

Audi TT-R vs NSX GT500 vs Falcon XR8 (tested on the TGTT)
Three RWD purpose built racing cars, one track, and one question to answer. Which is the best car of the three?

Audi TT-R-
625hp
1080kg
This was the very first car I reviewed for you guys, and this car was the one made me decide to stick with using your tunes. And when I drive it, I could see why. The car is responsive, but doesn't try to bite you. It forgives you and is just effortlessly quick. Sort of in keeping with it's German stereotype. Ruthlessly efficient, doesn't make a fuss, and can just get on with the job in hand of dispatching all its rivals. It did a fastest lap of 1:04.249

Ford Falcon XR8-
658hp
1350kg
I once said that this car had one of the best tunes you've put together, and I stand by that, it's fantastic. Within the first few turns I already knew that this was roughly the same as the TT-R, easy to drive and dispatch the competition with relative ease. That's where the similarities stop. Unlike the TT-R, this doesn't glide pass the competition with its grip but instead uses its full weight and huge power to crush all its rivals in a fun-loving, oversteery way. It did a laptime of 1:04.248. No, I didn't make that time up, it really did beat it by a hair.

Honda NSX GT500-
667hp
1100kg
Now, if this car is to follow in all its RKM counterparts (NSX 3rd anniversary, NSX-R LM road car), it should just crush all its competition and still be fun. I mean, it has the most power and is the second lightest of the three, so surely that would be enough to make it the fastest. Well, yes it is. But by no more than 0.1 of a second with a time of 1:04.172. Now, that's still quick, very quick in fact. But with an extra 9 hp and 250kg less, I was expecting it to be quicker still and it just isn't. I don't know, maybe it's because of the MR layout or the car's natural tendency towards oversteering, but I don't feel confident enough to go quickly in it.

So, to wrap up, the NSX is fastest, but at the cost of drivability. The TT-R is the slowest of the 3, just, but is the most consistent for most of the time. The Falcon is the best compromise, second fastest, almost as easy to control as the Audi and is more fun than both. So here's my winner, the Falcon.

Bear in mind though, these laptimes were done with one lap only. I know for a fact that the TT-R is easily the quickest had I given myself more laps, it once did a 1:03.184. So in fact, the NSX GT500 is just a very tricky car to drive with not much merit to it.

I fully agree in terms os the SP1 and NSX...though I haven't put a review up yet (my bad) they are by far superior to the point where people have quit the race or accused me of cheating
Our sports ECU's are loaded with hacked programming to bring out 110% of the car's maximum potential. It's technically cheating but we just dont tell anyone that. :sly:
American Muscle meets Trial Mountain
Muscle never goes out of style

Challenger GTS
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m531/mrakneedragger/Challenger.jpg

Fresh out of the Dealer: 412 HP, 1878 kg, 485 PP, Sports Hard Tires
Best Lap Time: 1:41.733
Thoughts: Like the Camaro, only more weight, which means more sluggish and slower in corners. However, all that extra junk in her trunk helped keep the rear tires planted, which meant more aggressive corner exits without sliding. The Dodge also has a sweeter exhaust growl. It's just not as fast.

Parts added, no settings changes: 748 HP, 1412 kg, 606 PP, Sports Soft Tires
Best Lap Time: 1:31.387
Thoughts: Looks like I got an extra 30 horses from the oil change, not sure if it made much difference. Like the Camaro, the Dodge was slow to turn in, slow through corners, and insufficient on the brakes, all of which were amplified by the extra speed. The weight of the car helped control the HP on the throttle, and the result was a car that was pretty nice until you had to sit waiting for it to creep through a corner.

Parts added, RKM Tune, 5 lap first impression: 750 HP, 1412 kg, 610 PP, Sports Soft Tires
Best Lap Time: 1:31.559
Thoughts: The car felt nicer, but I wasn't able to take advantage of it in the first 5 laps. Corner speeds and braking both felt better, turn in was still a bit sluggish, and the exit slide was a bit more controllable. I know I tend to be more aggressive driving a tune than stock, as they are much more stable, but that cost me in the lap time department in the first impression run.

Best Lap Time: 1:29.877
Thoughts: I finally started to get used to the car. The corner speed is down a bit compared to the Camaro, but this car just launches when you step on the gas. It likes to spin the back tires, even in third gear, and it's less controlled in the slide than I like, so a patient touch on the throttle was really needed. However, I turned out some suprisingly consistant lap times considering how easy it is to get the tire smoke going.

These two cars were pretty evenly matched all the way through the process. End result: Camaro does better on the brakes, in the corners, and is more controlled on corner exit. The Challenger, on the other hand, gets it done with brute force on the straights and a very nice launch leaving the corners. On a longer track, I'd take the Dodge for the horses, but on something tight and twisty, I'll take the handling of the Chevy. Overall, two great cars, with Trial Mountain being a nice neutral ground to compare them.
Thanks for the little shootout series you have going here! :D The Challenger hasnt got the chassis to match the Camaro, but it does have the horsepower to. Two different approaches to obtain the same lap times. :D I'm just glad I made the Challenger worth driving. :)
The NSX-R prototype LM road car is the ultimate NSX. Also my favourite car in GTPSP, with 537hp and an unbelievably easy standard setting that allowed it to crush anything that dared challenge it. I had wanted one ever since I got GT5, and now, finally, I have one. For this car I've thrown away everything. Almost all the cars that I don't use and is of any value have been sold, because they were all going to be replaced by a car that I consider to be almost perfect.

And I wasn't disappointed. Even without restoring the engine or chassis, it felt brilliant. It was so forgiving, and so fast! On my first lap, it did a 1:07.644. That's just 0.6 seconds off the Enzo's lap, and that had damn near 900hp and weighed 200kg less. So, quite a quick car then, the NSX LM. And also, pretty much flawless. After 5 laps of the TGTT, I couldn't find much wrong with it. I suppose it understeers a bit on slow corners but really, thats not too important on a course like the TGTT. Still, lets see what the RKM tune could do to it.

Ok, out for more laps. Well, I can't tell what the suspension is doing differently now, but I can definitely feel the downforce working, gluing the car to the track. The car is even more stable now, the spoiler forcing the car down, and the suspension helping it grip through turns at ridiculous speeds. This thing is immensely fast, it lapped the TGTT quicker than the Enzo this time round, making it the fastest road legal thing I've driven around this track. To be honest, what you've done here is what you did with the NSX 3rd anniversary, which is take a car which is already perfect, and then turning it into something which surpasses perfection. It even feels like its 3 year old brother, blindingly fast, effortlessly easy to drive, and fun enough to keep you driving pointlessly until your controller runs out of battery. Which is what just happened.

Laptimes (tested on the TGTT)
1:07.644(before)
1:06.337(after)
That's why I have 2 DS3's. Keep one charged while I use the other. :P But yeah, the NSX LM is insane and deserves the title of ultimate NSX. It's not clumsy to use like some "bigger and better" versions of already perfect cars.
NSX-R LM road car vs NSX GT500 (tested on TGTT)
The road car version of the NSX LM is very good, I know, I just reviewed it. But there was one claim you made in particular that I'm interested in. You said that 'this NSX LM is a race car for the road. All it needs is a big wing and some stickers and it’ll look like it belongs on the front row at Suzuka.' Now, this 'racing car for the road' thing has been said countless times, and most of the times, it's all rubbish. But just for fun, I gave it a go. So, it looks like a race car, and certainly sounds like one, but is it as fast as one?

(For this test, I'll be using a NSX stealth model, partly because I don't have money for a proper one, but mostly because it's already maxed with 667hp. )

First, the GT500. I remembered that was a ******* to drive, a constant knife edge. Go into a corner to quickly, it'll understeer. Stamp on the power midway through one, it'll spit you off the track instantly. And even with the RKM tune for it, it's still requires a very, very precise touch to go quick. But when you do get it right, god it's quick. Doing a 1:06.129 on the first lap out. But it was one lap of wrestling this matte black monster into shape and endless twitching and worrying. It's great if you're doing a 1 lap blast of the track, but constantly having to fight both the car and the guy you're racing is going to wear you out over a period of 3 laps.

Now, the NSX LM. I know it's good. And that it corners well. I also know that in a long 5 lap race, I would rather take this over the GT500 because it doesn't bite as much and not as hard. But is it faster than its JGTC GT500 brother? Well, unbelievably, it is. It may be 130kg heavier and have less downforce, but it was even quicker than its race bred counterpart. Ok, it was by a small margin of 0.1xx seconds, but still, that is quite an achievement considering the two cars had pretty much the same power output (669hp for the LM vs 667hp for the GT500). And almost all of it, was down to how easy the LM version was to drive.

Laptimes
NSX LM road car 1:06.024
NSX GT500 1:06.129
You know me, I dont make claims without being able back them up. :P
Right guys, I need something to do this afternoon/weekend. Give me one car you would like reviewed. Preferably one easily available, or one in my garage (see sig). You may also list more than one, just any ones you want reviewed.
RJ is after reviews for the purple Devil Z and the Golf R32. I'd like to see more reviews for his Lord Zed 350Z too, my 370's keep hogging the Z reviews. :P
Audi TT-R vs NSX GT500 vs Falcon XR8 (tested on the TGTT)
Three RWD purpose built racing cars, one track, and one question to answer. Which is the best car of the three?

Audi TT-R-
625hp
1080kg
This was the very first car I reviewed for you guys, and this car was the one made me decide to stick with using your tunes. And when I drive it, I could see why. The car is responsive, but doesn't try to bite you. It forgives you and is just effortlessly quick. Sort of in keeping with it's German stereotype. Ruthlessly efficient, doesn't make a fuss, and can just get on with the job in hand of dispatching all its rivals. It did a fastest lap of 1:04.249

Ford Falcon XR8-
658hp
1350kg
I once said that this car had one of the best tunes you've put together, and I stand by that, it's fantastic. Within the first few turns I already knew that this was roughly the same as the TT-R, easy to drive and dispatch the competition with relative ease. That's where the similarities stop. Unlike the TT-R, this doesn't glide pass the competition with its grip but instead uses its full weight and huge power to crush all its rivals in a fun-loving, oversteery way. It did a laptime of 1:04.248. No, I didn't make that time up, it really did beat it by a hair.

Honda NSX GT500-
667hp
1100kg
Now, if this car is to follow in all its RKM counterparts (NSX 3rd anniversary, NSX-R LM road car), it should just crush all its competition and still be fun. I mean, it has the most power and is the second lightest of the three, so surely that would be enough to make it the fastest. Well, yes it is. But by no more than 0.1 of a second with a time of 1:04.172. Now, that's still quick, very quick in fact. But with an extra 9 hp and 250kg less, I was expecting it to be quicker still and it just isn't. I don't know, maybe it's because of the MR layout or the car's natural tendency towards oversteering, but I don't feel confident enough to go quickly in it.

So, to wrap up, the NSX is fastest, but at the cost of drivability. The TT-R is the slowest of the 3, just, but is the most consistent for most of the time. The Falcon is the best compromise, second fastest, almost as easy to control as the Audi and is more fun than both. So here's my winner, the Falcon.

Bear in mind though, these laptimes were done with one lap only. I know for a fact that the TT-R is easily the quickest had I given myself more laps, it once did a 1:03.184. So in fact, the NSX GT500 is just a very tricky car to drive with not much merit to it.
RJ tunes his NSX's different to how I do, hence the difference in behaviour. Great to see my Falcon kicking ass though. :D

Alright, Bob sent on his way to break in the 07' Fairlady Z, so I can test and review Roj's Lord Zed tune. Expect it up sometime tonight.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=4628820

Test Track: Special Stage Route 5

Stock, Oil Change
1:40.444
This could have been a decent stock car, if it wasn't for the Sports Hard tires making it slip and slide all over the damn place. Hard to control the first few laps, but easier as you get used to it. Also a whiff of understeer in certain corners. But I'm not gonna waste my time describing the stock version TBH =P

Parts Installed, Default Settings, Oil Change
1:31.989
Much better. The slide is still there, but much less than the stock. The understeer is more pronounced though, but I strongly assume that is due to the increae in grip and speed. So I'm not gonna detail that either. Nice noise too.

Parts Installed, RKM Settings, Oil Change
1:32.439
The eagle eye may notice that RKM's tune is, not significantly, but still somewhat slower than the stock tune. Now I have a feeling that this is not so much due to the tune itself as to the gearing. It is, after all, 110 KPH more than the stock. To test this theory, I reset the tranny to stock setting (280 KPH). 1:32.271. An insignificant change, some may say. But it partially proves my theory. But overall, a decent tune. It may be faster on a more speed-dependant track, but on SSR5, the stock tune is faster, and that can't be changed. Or maybe by a better driver, but I don't know.

Parts Installed, RKM Settings, Racing Soft Tires, Oil Change
1:27.363
A good 5 seconds faster than on Sports Softs. So just imagine what it can do if the tune was tuned for Racing Softs. It goes much faster, grips much better, and it still pretty fun to drive. By no means the most fun car in the world, but it'll keep you entertained.

Disclaimer
Do in no way assume anything said in this review is true. I am nothing but an at-best-mediocre driver using a DS3. These lap times are in no way representative of what this car can run on these tracks.

--------------------

Nothing in depth, but should give you an idea of the car. So can I request a tune now?

Nissan 350Z review:
Now before I start, can I just say, I have reviewed this car before in a three car shootout, and I absolutely hated it. I complained that it rolled even more than the standard car and handled unpredictably under braking. So why have I come back to review it again? Well, on the day I reviewed it, I had a bad day (got detention for being injured, you can imagine how pissed I would be) and the test was conducted on Trial Mountain during a race with other cars around getting in the way. Also, it was compared to cars with more power and less weight, so it really wasn't a fair review. So I thought it would only be fair that I review it again under normal circumstances on my normal track.

Before:
Well, first impressions are pretty much the same as last time. Doesn't feel like it's going fast, because it isn't going very fast. It's far too woolly, and I can't feel what the front tyres are doing. It isn't forgiving at all if you mess up but it won't kill you. It will just understeer straight off the track. You can correct it, but the car seems reluctant to do so. You have to keep the power at full for so long, until the car has pretty much exited the corner, then it finally sways around like a pendulum. So, I'm still not enjoying this car at all. I finally did a lap of 1:17.857. Which is rather slow. The NSX and RX7 will easily thrash this car, despite the extra power this has.

After:
I'm sure that you will be expecting me to say that this car has changed dramatically. And it has. It rolls even more through the turns with the almost ridiculously soft suspension, and still doesn't inspire confidence. It's quicker, by a full second with a time of 1:16.728. But somehow, I don't feel like I want to do it again. I feel like going 'O thank god I'm done with that, now lets get back to the NSX', it hasn't quite won me over. I can't quite put my finger on what is it about this car that unnerves me, but it feels like something is missing.

A tune for a car can be for a lot of things, to make it faster, easier to drive, more fun etc. Normally, tunes are supposed to cover all these things. It's supposed to help the car fill in its faults and to improve it overall. But here, although it has covered the first two points (making it faster, making it easier to drive), it falls short on the last, and in my opinion the most important, point. Fun. It just isn't.

I think this tune could be revised a bit, because I think it has all the qualities to beat the NSX there, just not bought out. Don't ask me where to start though, cuz I have absolutely no clue how to do this.

Laptimes (tested on TGTT)
1:17.857 (before)
1:16.728 (after)

Lucky me, I just came across a 'purple devil Z' after review the 350Z. Expect a review for it tomorrow. (or in a few hours time, time zones confuse me)
btw, I'm guessing that since you haven't PM me about either of the cars, that you haven't started on them yet?

*Lord Zed 1*

Nothing in depth, but should give you an idea of the car. So can I request a tune now?

Iunno about that request, mainly because you gave exactly zero feedback on what the tune needs aside from being slightly slower than default. :P

That said I'm not entirely surprised... It was surprisingly quick in stock form albeit very annoying due to the strange way it reacted to bumps (felt almost as if the shocks were blown, lots of "bounce" but no real loss of grip)... So I wound up making it a bit of a devil without sacrificing absolute on-the-limit pace... The result is a car that's very difficult to spin but very easy to have send either end into the outside wall when you mistreat it.

Really, all three of my Z cars are like that... Hate one, you'll hate the rest.

*Lord Zed 2*

Most of the above applies here. And no, it doesn't listen to the driver whatsoever, and yes, it's completely "wrong" in terms of feel. Like the description says, it tells you what to do, not the other way around.

The Purple Devil, just as a warning, will be dreadful. No grip, too much power for said grip, and lots of doing everything wrong because it hates anyone who drives it.

Iunno about that request, mainly because you gave exactly zero feedback on what the tune needs aside from being slightly slower than default. :P

I know, mein freund, I know... But eh, it doesn't matter. But at first, I would say it needs a little less understeer.

Had a bit of time for driving today, so managed to test another one og your cars - the Speed Star Slivia (S13). As usually, I did my testing with the DS3, autobox and primarily on GVS. Given the PP rating I thought the car a bit slow for the tuner challenge but also a bit too fast for the Japanese one, so went for the lvl 19 Polyphony Digital one.

Fitting the components (and adjusting the gearbox, for ensuring comparability) and taking the car to the track it is immediately apparent that it was designed almost 3 decades ago with half the power in mind. It is certainly driveable (after a while one gets accustomed to pushing around 340bhp machinery without too much trouble in GT5) but one gets the impression that there is significantly more to come. The car simply does not seem sorted, with woeful stability under braking, understeer if you do not work with the throttle in corners and somewhat too much of oversteer if you do. I am sure a better driver, or maybe just one with the wheel (who am I kidding, a better one ;)) could use the throttle to smoothly alter the car's direction - with me it was always a matter of corrective lock, occasionally to be applied two or three times in alternating directions, till the car would finally point where I wanted it to. Mind you, you needed to have some power reserve in corners, if you wanted to change the car's attitude, otherwise it would just understeer out.

I managed a high 2.07 time with the stock settings in the car at GVS, not shabby but a same generation RX-7 with 265 hp I have does slightly better, so not quite the final word for the car.

Applying your settings we are immediately talking a different car. It is planted, whether under braking or cornering, and both the understeer and oversteer have largely been quelled. Maybe too much so for some to call it fun but it certainly is much more effective. It took me three laps to start getting the most out of it and your settings certainly made a difference to the times - shaving off about two seconds from the previous best, at high 2.05 times. It was still not quite enough to win but I managed to finish less than 3 seconds behind a Ford GT (which also started from pole) and was gaining almost a second a lap towards the end, so none too shabby for a small 20+ year old Silvia. 👍

Hello RKM and fellow users of their tunes :) I don't have a review at the moment as exams are approaching, but this is more of an inquisitive question than request.

I'm wandering quite simply what adjustments (if any) I need to do to suspension/LSD etc. if I decide to turn ABS to 0. Also, what changes should I think of doing if I were to pop some slicks on instead of sports tyres? Any answer is much appreciated.

so how about you try tuning an JGTC NSX as well?
It would be unproductive to tune a car that RJ has already tuned.
Had a bit of time for driving today, so managed to test another one og your cars - the Speed Star Slivia (S13). As usually, I did my testing with the DS3, autobox and primarily on GVS. Given the PP rating I thought the car a bit slow for the tuner challenge but also a bit too fast for the Japanese one, so went for the lvl 19 Polyphony Digital one.

Fitting the components (and adjusting the gearbox, for ensuring comparability) and taking the car to the track it is immediately apparent that it was designed almost 3 decades ago with half the power in mind. It is certainly driveable (after a while one gets accustomed to pushing around 340bhp machinery without too much trouble in GT5) but one gets the impression that there is significantly more to come. The car simply does not seem sorted, with woeful stability under braking, understeer if you do not work with the throttle in corners and somewhat too much of oversteer if you do. I am sure a better driver, or maybe just one with the wheel (who am I kidding, a better one ;)) could use the throttle to smoothly alter the car's direction - with me it was always a matter of corrective lock, occasionally to be applied two or three times in alternating directions, till the car would finally point where I wanted it to. Mind you, you needed to have some power reserve in corners, if you wanted to change the car's attitude, otherwise it would just understeer out.

I managed a high 2.07 time with the stock settings in the car at GVS, not shabby but a same generation RX-7 with 265 hp I have does slightly better, so not quite the final word for the car.

Applying your settings we are immediately talking a different car. It is planted, whether under braking or cornering, and both the understeer and oversteer have largely been quelled. Maybe too much so for some to call it fun but it certainly is much more effective. It took me three laps to start getting the most out of it and your settings certainly made a difference to the times - shaving off about two seconds from the previous best, at high 2.05 times. It was still not quite enough to win but I managed to finish less than 3 seconds behind a Ford GT (which also started from pole) and was gaining almost a second a lap towards the end, so none too shabby for a small 20+ year old Silvia. 👍
Thanks for the review! I'd bet that if the course was slightly tighter, the S13 would've beat the GT. ;) It's definately an improvement over the standard settings and I'd say it's a good car to learn new tracks with, thanks to it's sorted handling. :)
Hello RKM and fellow users of their tunes :) I don't have a review at the moment as exams are approaching, but this is more of an inquisitive question than request.

I'm wandering quite simply what adjustments (if any) I need to do to suspension/LSD etc. if I decide to turn ABS to 0. Also, what changes should I think of doing if I were to pop some slicks on instead of sports tyres? Any answer is much appreciated.
None to the suspension or LSD. What you'll need to adjust is the brake balance. All our tunes are tuned with ABS set to 1 so we can go hard on the brakes without locking it up. So you'll have to lower the brake balance until you can brake safely without locking up. 👍 As for slicks, it depends on the car but usually I stiffen the back end a bit more. Other than that I can happily say I can swap between sports and racing tyres all day long and not need to dramatically change the set up.

I'll be releasing a new car later tonight and then I'll begin going through this backlog of requests. :)

VTiRoj
None to the suspension or LSD. What you'll need to adjust is the brake balance. All our tunes are tuned with ABS set to 1 so we can go hard on the brakes without locking it up. So you'll have to lower the brake balance until you can brake safely without locking up. 👍 As for slicks, it depends on the car but usually I stiffen the back end a bit more. Other than that I can happily say I can swap between sports and racing tyres all day long and not need to dramatically change the set up.

Thanks VTi :) I was just thinking maybe softer suspension may be better so you can try and keep the tyres on the road better, but I really don't know much about tuning... keep on with the great tunes though.

I tested the esprit '02 a while back (cant remember who tuned it out of the RKM crew) but never got round to writing a review - it was a right hoot to drive round deep forest, especially when I went the whole hog and bought all the bhp parts for it - pointy and direct, with oversteering character - just the way i lile it :) I know this doesn't constitute being a review at all, but I just wanted people to know about it as it's brilliant fun to drive!

Although I must add, my fully tuned Citroën C5 with racing softs and classic "ill change this just because I can" suspension tuning, managed to beat the esprit round deep forest (esprit was on sports softs and I probably wasn't concentrating fully) I did a 1:18 in the C5- no idea if that's good but it felt nice to drive...

Back