Road America

Road America 2.0

United States
Port Washington
GTP_skeeter23
smskeeter23 submitted a new resource:

Road America - Accurate length, curbing, and object placement

This is my rendition of Road America.

Scaling is only .02 miles off from the actual length of the 4.08mi course located in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

Care has been taken to place curbing and objects as closely to the real circuit as the course editor will allow.

Next week (Oct 9, 2015) I will be literally on the track surface with the tablet and editor in my hand making corrections in real time. Stay tuned.

Read more about this resource...

I have an update for this track that smooths out all the undulations. Especially the bumps after turn 12 and corrected part of the bend there.

I will be updating the resource shortly.

Excellent circuit interpretation and well worth a place in anyone's track collection. Here's a quick preview of the circuit from various viewpoints as I slide around in the RUF Yellowbird for a demo lap.

Last edited:
smskeeter23 updated Road America with a new update entry:

Road America Update v1.5!

Track is now 4.08mi (even though the GT site says 4.09 the editor says 4.08) matching the real life distance 1:1.

Object placement is even more accurate. The Sargento bridge is now a bridge and the "Speedville" bridge is now present as well. Unfortunately there is still no Corvette bridge. After spending hours trying to get it I am fairly convinced the editor is not going to allow this. Perhaps it will in v2.0 when I completely redraw again with GPS data.

Radius in turn 8 and carousel have...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Yeah, I've discovered the issue with the corners... it's actually that the track is too wide. My measurement was screwed up on the first one. As a result some of the corner radius values were smoothed out.

The new version 2.0 I am testing right now is 6ft narrower and now the correct width of the actual track which also allowed for all the corner angles to be spot on now. I also used a much higher resolution reference image for this one, did a bunch of measuring and scaling correction, and even managed to get a few more objects in the right places like the carousel bank, trees, and continental bridge.

Object placement is such a pain in the a** with this editor because of the stupid places that get blocked off. Change one section of track by a few feet and it messes with the entire course. There's always some sort of trade off you have to make, it sucks.

I'm really excited to get this one out there but I just want to go over it one more time before releasing it.

smskeeter23 updated Road America with a new update entry:

New build 2.0 track!

This update corrects more than a few things and is by far the most accurate version yet.

- New ground up build using a much higher resolution reference image.
- Absolute 1:1 length @4.08mi in editor, on PSN, and in game
- Track width is now 6ft narrower and correct
- Corner radius are now correct throughout where track width prohibited correct angles before.
- Object placement is better where allowed by editor. Carousel is now fully modeled.

New video to be added as soon as I can get one...

Read the rest of this update entry...

With update 2 the track has gotten so much skinnier, think I liked 1.5 better... besides this update also added a whole lot of unnecessary buildings closer all around the track.

The track is now the actual width. Road America is a fairly "skinny" track.

I also have no control over where the editor puts those buildings. I may try to redraw it in a different area but I did not put them there.

I figured you would not be able to control the building placements, but without them being as noticeable in v1.5 it kinda made that track feel more authentic.

I figured you would not be able to control the building placements, but without them being as noticeable in v1.5 it kinda made that track feel more authentic.
Yeah I ahree with that but at the same time the other object placement I was able to achieve on this one is much much better as well.

Always some sort of tradeoff with this builder :-(

👍👍 The track looks great from the DEMO videos, can't wait to try it out. What editor are you using iOS or Android. I have made 3 tracks and cannot get some the objects that are in yours. The arrow signs for example, and a sand trap. Maybe I just have not played with it enough to figure out how to get those things, but the objects are very limited on the Android version. I thought I saw someplace that there is a wall that can be put in but when I go to objects or curbing all I have is the curbing no walls anywhere to be added to the tracks. I have been trying to make Pocono and there is all this grass on the outside of the track where there should be a safer barrier.:banghead:

Last edited:
I'm using Android as well. The arrows and sand traps manifested on their own. As far as the object placement goes it's really a crap shoot. You tweak one tiny piece of track and it'll affect the ability to place something somewhere else on the track. Frustrating isn't harsh enough to describe it.

Best thing I can say is:
Less anchor points = More space for object placement.

Back