Road Cars v Race Cars - Have SMS Got The Balance Right?

Did SMS get the balance right?

• Yes, I think SMS got it spot on

Votes: 25 37.9%
  • No, I think SMS should have included more road cars

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • No, I think SMS should have put more race cars in the game.

Votes: 27 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spooky Wooky

(Banned)
England
Downing Street
sp00ky-w00ky-
Including cars already released and all known future DLC, do you think SMS have the right amount of road cars against the number of race cars?
Would you have preferred more of one or the other, and which classes do you feel are incomplete/would like to see more of? Do you think any of the current classes are saturated? Are there any cars/classes you feel are out of place? Which of the cars/classes do you enjoy using the most?

Finally, road cars v race cars, what direction do you think Project CARS 2 should take?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I would like to hear as many opinions as possible. Thanks.

Almost every road car I take out for a spin has awful handling IMO, the race cars are so much better. Cars like the Mono or Atoms are ok, but some of the more super car-types I find dreadful, before and after tuning (tried tuning the new RUF 12R tonight - wow, nasty) so I'm all for less focus on road cars going forward. I bought this game to race race cars really.

I too find the road cars too "understeery" but then again I mostly race GT3's so a fully built/stripped out Z4 GT3 on slicks with full downforce might handle just a little better than a Zonda on street tires.

To answer OP's question I think the balance right now is fine, though I would like to find more lobbies online with more street cars. All I see is GT3 and FA.

I find the road cars handle like they should. Some are slow and ponderous, others are tight and responsive but none handle close to a modern race car nor should they. The balance is fine for me, it's not something I'm really fussy about.

I think the balance is pretty good. I'm always welcome to more cars of any variety.

The kind of cars I would like to see the most of is GT4 and lower spec race cars. 370Z, Camaro, Selby, MX5, Civic, Caymen, FRS etc (basically CTSCC, and PWC GTS & TC). Some classics like a TRD N2 AE86 would be great too.

Along with those, I'd really like to see more touring cars, both modern and classic. BTCC definitely has the best models, but I'm not sure if them, or WTCC/TCR cars would be the route to go. Either would be good. More TC from the 80s & 90s too.

While I really like some of the road cars in the game (both Mustangs, Evo X, Megane), I second the notion that the game desperately needs more touring cars. Also some more Nascar/Oval stuff than just the fictional old Caper and the Ford Fusion would be nice. And some more cool cup series like the Renault RS01, Maserati GT, Mazda MX5 cup etc.

I love all the race cars, and a handful of road cars. Hoping for more cars like the BMW TCI and touring cars. I am also drooling, thinking about the Indy cars and what they have planned for the future.

I think they have a great balance of a little everything, that's why I think this game is so great!

Almost every road car I take out for a spin has awful handling IMO, the race cars are so much better. Cars like the Mono or Atoms are ok, but some of the more super car-types I find dreadful, before and after tuning (tried tuning the new RUF 12R tonight - wow, nasty) so I'm all for less focus on road cars going forward. I bought this game to race race cars really.
Agreed, Something is severely wrong with the road cars. I know people will be along to tell us they handle exactly like they do in real life but those are the same people who said the same before the Road cars tire update patch 3.0 :) Before patch 3.0 the Focus was the worst handling car in any sim i had played. It's better now but defo still not right. The Evo X is fun now right enough which i tried recently so patch 3.0 has made a difference.

For me the game should of stuck to race cars as i want a racing sim not a driving sim but i fear they will try and make it more like Forza for PCars 2.

Agreed, Something is severely wrong with the road cars. I know people will be along to tell us they handle exactly like they do in real life but those are the same people who said the same before the Road cars tire update patch 3.0 :) Before patch 3.0 the Focus was the worst handling car in any sim i had played. It's better now but defo still not right. The Evo X is fun now right enough which i tried recently so patch 3.0 has made a difference.

For me the game should of stuck to race cars as i want a racing sim not a driving sim but i fear they will try and make it more like Forza for PCars 2.
Road cars feel similar in Assetto Corsa and Pcars...softer and less responsive. There may be some specific issues with some cars but overall they are on the right path IMO. If they went the GT route, road cars would tend to feel similar to each other and closer to race cars.

I'm happy with balance, yes I would like more but to get the race cars they also had to license the road cars to make it more appealing to manufacturers. But I think for the money they have, they've done a crackin job. A good mixture of old and new.

Taking into account that SMS always made it clear that PCars focuses on race cars and it was never their intention to compete with FM/GT in number of road cars I think they did a pretty good job with car selection.
Personally I prefer race cars, my choice for future DLC would be add more race cars to the classes already in the game and also try to include more racing classes like Super GT and such. I don't mind some road cars added for variety but I prefer if SMS focuses on race cars.

I've test driven every car in the game and discovered a real gem...the RUF RGT-8 Road Car. It's default tune/handling suits my driving style perfectly and I haven't been able to recreate it's characteristics in any other race or road car in pCars, GT5, GT6 or AC.....period. Give me any road or race car in any game that drives like that one and it (and the Game) would instantly become a favorite of mine.

I think they've got the balance about right. I'll race them all. I'd love to see some more classic racing cars but am happy with more of everything. I'd love to try a 1930's Bugatti on those skinny old tyres or some CanAm racers. Equally some more good sounding road cars are always welcome. I don't mind if some race cars need a class of their own. Single make races work well in the game with all the multiple liveries.

How about a Ford Model T Cup car. Sorry now it's a car request thread....... ;)

Don't mind having race cars only. Until today I haven't played with road cars in Pro. C. but if the E46 M3 CSL or M2&M4 or some Ferraris are there I'll change my mind. In Gran turismo I do play online with road cars with sports (not slicks) because there are loads of road cars.

There should be more road cars but not to the amount that GT and Forza has. Enough to balance out the amount of race cars.

I question the handling for some of the road cars though. You'd expect an R500 SL or Evo X to be a point-shoot-stick to the road affair but then feels unpredictable in practice.

Maybe it's because I play with a pad. Still experimenting as I go.

There should be more road cars but not to the amount that GT and Forza has. Enough to balance out the amount of race cars.

I question the handling for some of the road cars though. You'd expect an R500 SL or Evo X to be a point-shoot-stick to the road affair but then feels unpredictable in practice.

Maybe it's because I play with a pad. Still experimenting as I go.
If the street cars, especially older or those in the mid range, were point-stick-shoot, they'd feel like race cars and then everything would feel the same. But they don't have nearly the same limits, not the same behaviour at the limit, as an all out race car. Street cars feel very different from race cars in Assetto Corsa as well, it's just something you get used to after GT where there is a tendency for cars to feel more similar than different sometimes.

If the street cars, especially older or those in the mid range, were point-stick-shoot, they'd feel like race cars and then everything would feel the same. But they don't have nearly the same limits, not the same behaviour at the limit, as an all out race car. Street cars feel very different from race cars in Assetto Corsa as well, it's just something you get used to after GT where there is a tendency for cars to feel more similar than different sometimes.

Which beckons the question of levels.

On what level is a particular street car on par with a particular race car? Some street cars can handle like race cars but it can depend on what street and race car you're dealing with and comparing to.

I'm sure I can equate an R500 SL to the likes of a Formula Rookie with a few differences between.

What bothers me about the Evo X is that for a car that is AWD and with Mitsubishi's tech (Granted I have yet to drive an Evo in real life), yes it can understeer but randomly spin out and unsettle itself? Awkward.

Granted limits are different.

However with the GT statement I disagree, not all cars feel the same to me. Some differences are subtle yet others can be drastic.

On what level is a particular street car on par with a particular race car? Some street cars can handle like race cars but it can depend on what street and race car you're dealing with and comparing to.
Never, for most ordinary street cars. They don't generate enough downforce, the tires don't have enough grip, suspensions are softer, brakes aren't as good..etc.

I'm sure I can equate an R500 SL to the likes of a Formula Rookie with a few differences between.
The few differences being a softer suspension, higher centre of gravity, one is a purpose build race car the other more of a track car. In other words, completely different cars.

What bothers me about the Evo X is that for a car that is AWD and with Mitsubishi's tech (Granted I have yet to drive an Evo in real life), yes it can understeer but randomly spin out and unsettle itself? Awkward.

Any car can be do any of those things. Whether it's realistic or not, you'd have to compare real life behaviour driving the car with the same inputs and see what happens. It's quite possible that driving an Evo or any other car the same way you do in the game could have the same result.

However with the GT statement I disagree, not all cars feel the same to me. Some differences are subtle yet others can be drastic.
"Tendency to feel more similar than different" =/= all cars feel the same. The generic tire model alone makes this true IMO. A 1960's Ferrari, 1970's Lamborghini and a 2010's sports car should not feel even close to each other nor be even close to each other on the track with similar engine/weight specs and yet they are in GT. They also feel much more similar to me than different, again because they are all on the same tire, whereas in a sim they'd likely be on 3 different tire models.

PCARS should have a bias toward race cars, and does. Since it features more realistic race rules, it makes more sense to favor race cars. If the scales were tipped more to road cars, the game might not have as many unique cars rarely included on console games. I think the balance is fine as is.

Two cars that generate similar lap times often drive completely differently.

I don't think it should include road cars. The career focuses on certain classes and then there's these other cars that don't really do anything structured. It would've been nice to just have race cars and more career events to use them in. How it launched without a modern touring car class seems bizarre.

Like it or not, in order to have broad appeal, I think you need both race and street cars in the game. Just one or the other really limits the number of people that game appeals to. Less appeal = less sales = less cars overall. I'd rather see PCars moving 3 million units with a mix of cars, than 1.5 million with just race cars because I think that ultimately we get more of everything that way. The more people that play the game the better it is for everyone.

VXR
I don't think it should include road cars. The career focuses on certain classes and then there's these other cars that don't really do anything structured. It would've been nice to just have race cars and more career events to use them in. How it launched without a modern touring car class seems bizarre.
But the road cars offer some great racing online. Both of the the Road C classes are amongst my favorite in the game. I almost always have exciting, close races in those classes.

I still lean towards more race cars, particularity more GT and TC class cars, new and old, but I'm up for SMS adding anything as long as it can be closely raced agaist other cars in the same category.

I think the balance is good. We have a decent amount of road cars from Hot hatches to hypercars and has the same number of cars as the other disciplines. Obviously it's going to be orientated towards race cars because, unlike GT & Forza, PCARS is a racing simulator which, AFIAK, it means it is meant to focus on racing series such as GT, Formula, Touring etc. while GT & Forza have a bigger focus on road cars with a some race cars from various series mixed in. Every racing class in PCars (including the one makes such as the Caterham Classic & Clio Cup can have a full grid of cars without repeats of the same livery, with most racing cars having over 20 liveries per car.

Back