Rolls-Royce Confirms the Cullinan, But Don't Call it an SUV...

sports utility vehicle?
yeh I recall seeing all these SUVs being used to get the sport equipment to the sport location

Chelsea tractor is the best name I've heard for them.

Damn ugly is the name I would use.

A high bodied vehicle for high bodied people.

upload_2018-2-13_10-59-16.png

A high bodied vehicle for high bodied people.

View attachment 714237
I could see it happening. After all, Mercedes was okay with this:
01_Mario_Kart_81-1230x740.jpg

That said, I can't say I'm surprised that Rolls-Royce would consider the term "sport utility vehicle" too pedestrian for it's clientele. Maybe it's so they can add an "exclusive vehicle designation" fee in the standard options package. :dopey:

That said, I can't say I'm surprised that Rolls-Royce would consider the term "sport utility vehicle" too pedestrian for it's clientele.

The phrase 'sports utility vehicle' is in itself a statement of purpose, it indicates what the intended use of the vehicle would be, rather than being a description of it's bodystyle*. Rolls-Royce probably don't feel this accurately reflects the likely usage of the Cullinan by its owners.

*This is why I personally don't like it as a vehicle classification. I know that's how it's used, but I'd prefer terms that were more descriptive of bodyshape, than intended use. The origins of a term like 'Sedan' don't really matter because they pre-date the automobile, but I don't think modern terms like SUV are accurate... personally.. High Riding Vehicle would seem simply to make more sense, though Honda kind of buggered that up - so I don't think High Bodied Vehicle would be that bad, personally.

Well, Pontiac tried to call the Aztek an SRV (Sport Recreational Vehicle), but everyone I've talked to calls it a 'truck' or 'van'. I'm sure the general populous will still call this an SUV, even if it's not used for utilitarian purposes.

Human bappleomavirus--contracted by partaking of reefer through an apple.

Hepatitis B Virus might be the more obvious one. Having said that... I did have to google that to know, and Human xyz Virus is quite common. Doesn't seem to be a problem for HGV's though.

HBV sounds like a virus.

... which would be a problem for about a day (or for as long as car journo's thought they could get a like, share or subscribe from it) if such a term was actually adopted somewhat formally as a vehicle classification.

Hepatitis B Virus might be the more obvious one. Having said that... I did have to google that to know, and Human xyz Virus is quite common. Doesn't seem to be a problem for HGV's though.

... which would be a problem for about a day (or for as long as car journo's thought they could get a like, share or subscribe from it) if such a term was actually adopted somewhat formally as a vehicle classification.
Fun fact: Rolls-Royce initially referred to it as a High Sided Vehicle. That lasted 20 minutes or so, because car journos after a like, share or subscribe started posting pictures like these on social media:

stream_img.jpg

Fun fact: Rolls-Royce initially referred to it as a High Sided Vehicle. That lasted 20 minutes or so, because car journos after a like, share or subscribe started posting pictures like these on social media:

stream_img.jpg

Damned journos using social media to highlight the shortcomings of using non-defined names in implied legal situations to limit access to the less attractive side of the country!

Damned journos using social media to highlight the shortcomings of using non-defined names in implied legal situations to limit access to the less attractive side of the country!
I think it was more "lol, it's a lorry".

Fancy tail-gate seats aside, does this photo in the same article point to it being RWD rather than AWD? It would seem odd if it was.

rolls-royce-cullinan-004-k685.jpg

Fancy tail-gate seats aside, does this photo in the same article point to it being RWD rather than AWD? It would seem odd if it was.

View attachment 716213
The article mentions: First reported in February 2015, the Cullinan is said to offer genuine off-road pretensions...

Maybe it's RWD before AWD kicks in? Maybe front chains won't clear the inner fenders? Plus, they're testing the car in the pic.

Back