Round 1 Technical Discussion: Tsukuba

• Thread starter EL_ZISSOU
  • 170 comments
I will never restart because you waste a full lap. However, I have come w/in 0.1s of my fast lap at Cape and Rome on an out-lap - that just means that I am slower than myself...or something like that.

If it makes you feel better I was at a consistent .3 last night then all of a sudden I started getting into the .3's and .2's quite consistently. Just stay focused. Try doing multiple quick laps instead of 1 lap crash then restart. You can't develop a rhythm.

I'm no rocket... 1:06.767 but I couldn't agree more with choate, I raced for about 7 hrs the first day and the second day using 1 lap crash and restart, it sucks and is really frustrating never getting under 1:07, but if you keep running you hit a rhythm, and not as frustrating. Btw does anyone know if your tires get better or worse the longer you run without restarting?

Technically they get warmer, creating more grip. (Supposed to)

Edit: I wish we could turn off the split times on the screen. I don't want to know if I'm behind or ahead each lap. Messes me up.

Wow thank you guys, i been restarting in 1st/2ND lap all the time because I crashed. Ill try this tonight because last night on cape ring i kept on going so thats why my times got better.

Maybe its just me, but it appears that once you get down around 1:06 flat you will have to employ less TCS or ABS and turn the car with the brake or gas, to improve time from that point down into the 1:05s.

What do some of you 1:05ers think?

Maybe its just me, but it appears that once you get down around 1:06 flat you will have to employ less TCS or ABS and turn the car with the brake or gas, to improve time from that point down into the 1:05s.

I think you are right. TCS should be off, ABS should be 1. You definitely need to use both trail braking and power to rotate the car. I forgot to turn TCS off before a run last night, and I was stuck at like 1:06 or 1:05.9 - I was like WTF is going on here...then I realized it was the fault of the driving aids.

T1 is a perfect example - basically you are only at 100% braking for a short period, and then you ease off and begin to turn in. Use JUST enough braking to rotate the car without sliding, and then as soon as you are going to make the apex, begin easing in the throttle to keep the car rotating a bit and then settle the back down to accelerate to track out.

I'm not the fastest at 1:05.6xx - others in the low 1:05's may want to weigh in.

Hi guys, you are very lucky to have the academy. I’m stuck with bspec instead.

I tried this combo in practice for about an hour, just to remember how it is to drive and I did 1.05.390.I see a time under 1.04.9xx , maybe under .8xx.Good luck to all

George

Last edited:
Hi guys, you are very lucky to have the academy. I’m stuck with bspec instead.

I tried this combo in practice for about an hour, just to remember how it is to drive and I did 1.05.390.I see a time under 1.04.9xx , maybe under .8xx.Good luck to all

George

George (or any of the guys on here), what is the actual combo that is used for Tsukuba? I'm curious to cut a few laps to see how i compare.

FYI, I always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS have TC off.
Abs is at 1.

George (or any of the guys on here), what is the actual combo that is used for Tsukuba? I'm curious to cut a few laps to see how i compare.

I believe is stock Fairlady Z (Z34) '08 with comfort soft tires and skid recovery off.

I have found that the online vs offline grip level is different. So beware of that.

As in the downloaded GT Academy Time Trial differs to the Time Trial version within GT5 Choate? Which has more grip?

Well, Is it really downloaded or does it take you to their server using that track? It's amazing how quick it updates the leaderboard.

This track is so technical and so short, you have to get everything right if you want a super fast time. I got the game two days ago, have been using my wheel for no more than four hours, and I just ended my first session with a 1:06.527. Over a second behind the fastest time currently.

I'm used to the way iRacing handles with this wheel, and that game has taught me how much the DFP sucks so I've got a frustrating learning curve - forgetting iRacing habits and fighting the wheel's faults as well as actually driving the car. I'm hardly able to hold a slight drift because I find GT5's steering response too touchy and I'm distracted by how little the in-game steering wheel turns.

Trying to be precise and consistent is proving difficult. The kink, turn 4, has always been the hardest for me. What I've been doing is breathing on the brakes just a hair to rotate the car into it with a slight 4-wheel drift to avoid understeer. The curb seems to upset it pretty badly as has been mentioned already.

Through the rest of the track I drive like the Best Motoring guys. Diving into turns 1 and 3 seems to be the way to go. I'm torn between that and late apexes. The third hairpin before the back straight is a very early apex with a wide exit. The last turn seems best with a pretty late apex. I usually enter in the middle of the track with slight trail braking but it's hard to keep the car stable during that. Always requires a bit of counter steering to hold a slight slide.

I guess I have a whole month to improve. I need to get a feel for this car's throttle and steering. This game has proven surprisingly difficult lol. That's the way it should be.

This is what I don't get. It's a huge competition with a lot on the line yet they are using DFGT's for the live event, lol. I have a G27 now, and I used to have a Momo black, which uses similar pedals to the DFGT and they were absolutely horrible. I wonder why they stick around with older technology. I assumed the G25/G27's were pretty standard nowadays on the console and PC.

Yeah, I use the DFGT. I do feel like the pedals give me a disadvantage because they are so sensitive, but better to get used to it now than be surprised if I make it to finals. Ive never used a G25/27, but it must be nice (or the new Fanatec) so can't compare.

If push comes to shove though, I will try the bungie cord around the brake idea to see if that helps any. Still got a lot of time though to improve laps. I'm in a good position right now being rank 26 in SE so round 2 is definitely a reality.

Yeah, I use the DFGT. I do feel like the pedals give me a disadvantage because they are so sensitive, but better to get used to it now than be surprised if I make it to finals. Ive never used a G25/27, but it must be nice (or the new Fanatec) so can't compare.

If push comes to shove though, I will try the bungie cord around the brake idea to see if that helps any. Still got a lot of time though to improve laps. I'm in a good position right now being rank 26 in SE so round 2 is definitely a reality.

+1 on the bungee cord around the brake... Shaved a good .4 off my Tsukuba time with little to no extra practice. 👍

The bungie mod was a GODsend! I cant imagine driving without it now, unless I got better pedals. Im finally able to feel how much brake pressure Im applying. After getting used to the new stiffness, I took a couple seconds off my overall time. Not to mention I can now rest my left foot on the brake without worrying about accidentally depressing it.

Well, Is it really downloaded or does it take you to their server using that track? It's amazing how quick it updates the leaderboard.

Choate, you are playing on your local machine when you do Time Trials. Let's say you go to Tsukuba Time Trial for a hotlap session. You set two, three, or x amount of new, faster laps than your old fastest lap. You will keep getting different ranks relayed back to you, depending on the new fast lap time. Each time a lap is set, it calls to the leaderboard database to see where your time fits, then replies with your new rank. Your new time is not yet uploaded. You still need to exit the session back to the main screen of that event (where you can change your ABS, TCS settings, etc.) before your time is uploaded. I have not yet confirmed this, but have heard/read reports of people losing fast laps due to power-loss before exiting to the event screen. Anyway, when you exit back to the event screen, only your new fastest lap is uploaded to the leader board server. I feel like this is the best way they could have done the leader boards, as for logistical purposes of data transfer and hardware, it makes sense.

Now, whether or not the physics are different for time trials is sort of up for debate. Somebody mentioned that tires are heating up faster in Time Trials (I wonder if we could get this confirmed). This would indeed have a direct consequece on in game physics, especially in the corners. As more grip is generated, the tire heats. At a set temperature, the tire can become too hot and effect the contact patch of the tire. This would push the tire beyond the grip threshold and, consequently, effect your lap time negatively, if the loss of grip was substantial enough. This is assuming their physics model is fairly accurate.

The bungie mod was a GODsend! I cant imagine driving without it now, unless I got better pedals. Im finally able to feel how much brake pressure Im applying. After getting used to the new stiffness, I took a couple seconds off my overall time. Not to mention I can now rest my left foot on the brake without worrying about accidentally depressing it.

Hahaha. I'm doing this when I'm forced to buy that wheel.

really long post, that makes a lot of sense.

Ok, That makes sense. I just struggle finding the same combo online as I do on the cape. I also find the physics to be a bit different online vs offline. For instance at Daytona with a Cup car I can run 222mph down the backstretch offline, then online with the exact same car and setup I can only do 118. Also the grip is way different. Since I want to help others that are struggling it's tough to do it when the cars don't match.

Ok, That makes sense. I just struggle finding the same combo online as I do on the cape. I also find the physics to be a bit different online vs offline. For instance at Daytona with a Cup car I can run 222mph down the backstretch offline, then online with the exact same car and setup I can only do 118. Also the grip is way different. Since I want to help others that are struggling it's tough to do it when the cars don't match.

Yeah. We'll need some sort of official word from PD to ever know.

So i was reading these posts about the bungie mod, so I go out to the garage to grab a bungie, can't hurt right?

5 laps into my first run with the bungie I break into the 105's LMAO you guys are amazing!

I am now in the top 30 in my region thanks to you guys LOL who knew joining gtp was worth 4 tenths the first day.

Thanks to those who recommended this, as well as the creative person who thought it up.

👍

It's like driving a different car, being able to precisely modulate the brakes in the turns, before it was like guesswork.

so i was reading these posts about the bungie mod, so i go out to the garage to grab a bungie, can't hurt right?

5 laps into my first run with the bungie i break into the 105's lmao you guys are amazing!

I am now in the top 30 in my region thanks to you guys lol who knew joining gtp was worth 4 tenths the first day.

Thanks to those who recommended this, as well as the creative person who thought it up.

👍

It's like driving a different car, being able to precisely modulate the brakes in the turns, before it was like guesswork.

science!

Back