Ruined Shelby with new Tranny!

  • Thread starter Thread starter FishHunters
  • 40 comments
  • 5,294 views
Messages
1,973
United States
Florida - USA
Messages
Flsurffisher
Noticed I was hitting top speed on my Shelby Cobra 427 during the Classic Muscle Seasonal. Decided to drop 20 grand on the fully customizable tranny. It completely changed the sound of the engine. Now it's sounding like an LM race car. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Bought a new Cobra!
 
Noticed I was hitting top speed on my Shelby Cobra 427 during the Classic Muscle Seasonal. Decided to drop 20 grand on the fully customizable tranny. It completely changed the sound of the engine. Now it's sounding like an LM race car. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Bought a new Cobra!

Ehm... you know that you can re-equip the old transmission, right?
 
It doesn't change the sound of the engine, it just makes the gearbox whine very loudly. I usually cure that with even louder exhausts, but not every exhaust keeps the V8 sound.
 
Think it's bad in GT5, watch this video:

 
I hate that tranny sound i wish i can keep the normal gear but change the ratio
 
I personally love the sound of screaming straight cut gears :)

Although i haven't spent a penny on my Cobra yet as i'm enjoying drifting with it standard.
 
I often get the close ratio gear box for this reason. It usually has much better ratios then the standard box, and doesn't have that terrible whine. I can't remember if it raises the overall ratio with the old muscle cars though. It's a shame you can't just change the gear ratio. It would actually make more sense to change the overall ratio with the differential as that's where it's usually done.
 
PD should allow customizable transmissions with normal gears. (without the whine)
 
Straight cuts gears FTW... but not on road cars!
 
Gt5 needs the option to have a street spech variable transmission this way you get no whine and you can cahnge ratios. Its like what you get in super cars. PLus we need real manufactors like xtrac, hewland and ricardo. PLus other real parts like brembo brakes and pirelli tyres.
 
Instead of the close ratio transmission as a middle-of-the-road option, it would be more useful to have an adjustable final gear ratio. That would take care many peoples' needs.
 
Instead of the close ratio transmission as a middle-of-the-road option, it would be more useful to have an adjustable final gear ratio. That would take care many peoples' needs.

That's probably the best short term solution.
 
Any muscle car is better with a racing tranny...performance wise anyway. Increasing the low default top speeds of the muscle cars is required if you want them to win higher level races. But I can see where you're coming from if you just want a good experience.
 
That transmisson whine is one of my real gripes with GT5 :grumpy:. It completely ruins the sound of those awesome old V8s whenever you need to get a decent top speed out of them.
 
I usually don't even bother with putting an performance transmission cars I actually want to the sound of.
 
That transmisson whine is one of my real gripes with GT5 :grumpy:. It completely ruins the sound of those awesome old V8s whenever you need to get a decent top speed out of them.

Yeah. I'm supposed to participate in an online race that is influenced by the old 1960's Le Mans race.

I chose the '66 Shelby Cobra 427 as my car, but was hitting the rev limiter at 155 mph, a quarter of the way down the Mulsanne straight. I tried throwing on a customizable transmission but the sound it made ruined the entire experience, so I just went back to the stock.

If I had to choose, that would be one of my biggest complaints about the game.
 
Instead of the close ratio transmission as a middle-of-the-road option, it would be more useful to have an adjustable final gear ratio. That would take care many peoples' needs.

I think both are needed. Lots of street cars have really long 6th gears, and sometimes 5th, for the purpose of fuel economy. On these cars it's really nice to put a close ratio transmission to get 6 useful gears. However, you should be able to change the final gear ratio without even touching the transmission. No reason both can't be achieved. The final gear ratio should be opened up with the purchase of an aftermarket LSD.
 
the sounds are garbage.. the sound ruins so many cars.. Challenger RM especially (built one this morning.. the car will not be in my garage by tonight its that bad).. i was going to drop the fully custom tranny in my 427 as well im glad i came across this thread.. the car wont be getting the tranny now
 
I absolutely LOVE the sound of straight cut gears, but christ almighty that BMW is something else!! Upto 4th gear, and I was thinking "yeah, this is sweet" but what on earth happened after that? It was like listening to Joe Pasquale having his eyes poked out whilst under the influence of helium!!!

Most of my bigger power cars get the 20k box, just so I can go weak at the noise of the straight cut box doing its thang, and listening to it sing! **Goes off to have straight cut gear fun**
 
I also love the sound of straight cut racing gears. Really makes a race car :)
 
Count me in with the people who think the whine is obnoxious.
 
I don't know, the whine is kind of annoying sometimes but I would not swap out the racing tranny just so I don't have to hear it and lose the massive performance gains from it. Yeah, maybe you don't hear the whine on it anymore but it sure beats being in last place because your car tops out at under 120 MPH and everyone has long passed you.
 
What i think is really annoying is that people are annoyed the sound is in the game but if it wasn't people would complain it's not realistic.
 
I can't say that installing the custom tranny ruined my Cobra. I'm loving it on the Seasonals at the moment. All I've done other than the tranny is a set of S3s and custom suspension. Sounds glorious, looks glorious, even my wife commented favourably and she hates this game.

Can't say the tranny sound has ever bothered me and I race exclusively on bumper-cam. I am selective about what parts I install, some cars in this game sound amazing. Whilst I'm nowhere near having sampled all of the cars in this game, the C63 AMG is my favourite car to listen to, even if stock it drives like a two legged dog...

{Cy}

PS - Loving the GTR vid, thanks for that :)
 
What i think is really annoying is that people are annoyed the sound is in the game but if it wasn't people would complain it's not realistic.

💡
Bingo

If you want to get a massive top speed out of these types of cars, then there is a penalty to the sound, simple as.

Gearbox whine is a by-product of those kinds of transmission. They are not designed with the sound in mind...
 
💡
Bingo

If you want to get a massive top speed out of these types of cars, then there is a penalty to the sound, simple as.

Gearbox whine is a by-product of those kinds of transmission. They are not designed with the sound in mind...

I have to agree, but sometimes though it won't be that obnoxious. Depends on the tuning and/or exhaust note IMO.

Still, that's reality, I won't complain any further.
 
Back