Not open for further replies.

Diego440

Born to browse
Premium
Venezuela
CCS
GTP_Diego
According to www.thef1.es a Spanish Formula 1 website,

Ron Dennis has been made to quit his role as chief of the McLaren team, and will be replaced by subdirector Martin Whitmarsh, according to the newspaper Marca. The Spanish newspaper explains that the decision, made by Mercedes-Benz, will be confirmed soon in an official communiqué.

Marca also said that Mercedes-Benz, the German automaker that could soon take complete control of the Woking team, is unhappy with the way Dennis managed the team during the spy scandal and both championship races of Alonso and Hamilton.

Dennis, who has been supervising the team since the early 80s, could get a ew position where he wouldn't have any commanding control, said Marca.

Denis still continues to own 15% of McLaren, and the rest of the stock is divided between Mercedes and the Bahrainian cmpany Mansour Ojjeh.

Another link

Wow. If true, I did not see that coming. He said in a few interviews with F1 Racing that he was preparing Whitmarsh as his successor, but I always got the impression he'd leave only on his own terms; namely when he thought Whitmarsh could do the job better than Dennis could.

Crash.net have the story too, so non-spanish speakers can get the info..

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/f1/news/160128-0/rumour_mill_claims_dennis_fired.html

..so far its just a rumour, one that Merc are currently dismising. The McLaren website currently has nothing on it at all.

It will be interesting to see how this one goes, it certainly would surprise me if it is true (and I'm not saying its not) as it would have been better done prior to winter testing to allow the team to get bedded in with any new team principal.

Scaff

Okay, if McLaren confirms this, its the end of the McLaren that I know of..... :( I mean, the spy scandal was only what it takes to fire Ron Dennis. Well, I couldn't say much about this but, I hope Martin Whitmarsh does a good job replacing him....

hmmm, will be interesting to see how Hamilton is treated now that he's gone.. no longer teachers pet!

I think Ron did a great job for all these years especially the Hakkinen Coulthard days...

Robin.

Craziness 👎

Maybe Babelfish has revealed something we didn't know, however... 💡:D

Rum Dennis has resigned obligadamente to its paper like group leader of McLaren, and will be replaced by the assistant director Martin Whitmarsh, according to explains the daily Mark. The Spanish newspaper explains that the decision, imposed by the partner supplier of motors Mercedes-Benz, will be confirmed soon in an official notice of official press.

Nothing about it on Autosport or GPupdate.

To be fair to Babelfish, this is pretty remarkable translation:

The Spanish newspaper explains that the decision, imposed by the partner supplier of motors Mercedes-Benz, will be confirmed soon in an official notice of official press.

The BBC haven't yet reported anything - here in the UK, News is only "official" once it has been read out by Huw Edwards on the 10 O'Clock News... :P

Wow, that's definately news to me! To be honest, even though the spying scandal did damage McLaren's reputation a bit, I don't think anyone saw that news coming...IF it turns out to be true, that is.

Mind you, the F1 website IS Spanish, where a certain Mr. F.A comes from. Spanish press playing games to bring McLaren down after the way they appeared to treat Fernando, perhaps? Just a thought, mind.

Mind you, the F1 website IS Spanish, where a certain Mr. F.A comes from. Spanish press playing games to bring McLaren down after the way they appeared to treat Fernando, perhaps? Just a thought, mind.

I disagree.

Scaff also linked to a newsite... which isn't Spanish and says the same thing...

I'll hold judgement. Nothing on SkySports either. Last big news tended to hit SkySports half hour after the little sites.

Slow news day. Crash has to report a rumour on a Spanish F1 website, because it's 'news'.

Of course, there's no smoke without rubber, as they say. Somewhere.

Unless it's the Spanish media ****stirring because they now have some odd vendetta *shrugs* Always possible, everyone has the potential to do it.

Every single site which has it claims the same source - a Spanish website. I wouldn't trust that.

I wouldn't trust that.

Because...?

I mean, sure it's a rumour, but I wouldn't dismiss it on the sole point that it's a Spanish newspaper. Although I'll admit it's not the first time Marca posts something which isn't true... although it has mainly stuck to football.

Because...?

I mean, sure it's a rumour, but I wouldn't dismiss it on the sole point that it's a Spanish newspaper. Although I'll admit it's not the first time Marca posts something which isn't true... although it has mainly stuck to football.

Maybe I wasn't born in the right era, but I tend to mistrust things that don't appear in something more official, or come from more than one possibly un-objective source.

To be fair Diego, whilst I'm not disregarding it right now myself, some sections of the Spanish media would certainly be biased against McLaren, Dennis and Hamilton merely for the way their prized racing driver was "treated".

I can understand that, and even say you're right. Hence why I say we take this news with a grain of salt.

I was checking out on the veracity of the newspaper, and it's quite dubious :indiff: Still, we'll see what comes up.

When it comes to matters like this, if it isn't on autosport.com, then it tends not to be true.

It isn't on Autosport.com as of 20:24GMT.

I'm always deeply suspicious of anything coming out of Spain pertaining to F1, and replication on crash.net is no indication of veracity.

I wouldn't surprise me if its true seeing last seasons problems... but I don't see who could do a better job!

rumour, this has been goin' round since unveiling of mp4-23 in STUTGART, not UK. wasn't that 'ominous' enough? oh, how what 'goes round comes round... RD embarrassed too many people. MB, Santander, & Alonso faithful. latest 'rumour' is his divorce. Dennis really dicked things up last season, including WDC #3 for Fernando Alonso. hasta la vista!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back