Rumors on the NEXT Gran Turismo

• Thread starter xxy98cn
  • 404 comments

When do you think the next game in the Gran Turismo series will launch?

• Q1 2020

• Q2 2020

• Q3 2020

• Q4 2020

• Q1 2021

• Q2 2021

• Q3 2021

• Q4 2021

• Q1 2022

• Q2 2022

• Q3 2022

• Q4 2022

• 2023 or later

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's good to see the GT7 Forum (again). Here's my theories about the release date as of this time:
  • I think Q4 is slightly ambitious since GT Sport is still set to receive content even if it is modest (by comparison GT5 and GT6 saw their content cut off at least a few months before the next game's announcement). By mid-year should we hear nothing all bets are off for 2020.
  • Q4 2021 is likely provided the announcement and presentation of GT7 goes smoothly and there are no further delays. This is important and I hope it emulates GT6's release build up and not that of GT5 or GTSport.
  • Q4 2022 would be interesting as (December 2022) will mark Gran Turismo's 25th Anniversary. Considering the intention of adding past, present and future elements into GT7 I think PD could aim for this date.
  • Anything later than 2022 would become problematic given it would be past five years between titles.
  • Also interesting to note is the last GT game to release outside Q4 was GT5 Prologue back in 2008 (though it was released Q4 2007 in Japan though) and Japan has only seen two games not released in Q4 (GT3 and GT Concept)
Regarding the content cutoff, I think it will be kept somewhat alive until GT7 releases, because they now have an active online community, that they will not want to lose. By releasing some content over the next few months, they can retain that community until GT7.
Also note that the content updates have already been dialed back significantly in recent months.
I think Q4 2020 as a PS5 launch title is still pretty likely.

Spec 3 rolls out just before ps5, also releasing on pc. Then a full fledged gt7 exclusive to ps5, 3-9 months later, blowing away anything else in every way to lure everyone to ps5. Releases on pc as well, 18 months later, when the master race have the tech to run it ahahahah

I dunno why people still expect any kind of major content for GTSport. If GT7 is to release later this year or even the next, then Polyphony will be crunching to make enough next-gen quality content for it and get it out the door.

To also make significant content for GTSport (even just a couple of tracks) while trying to get a PS5 GT7 out in time would put a ridiculous burden on the devs, and is literally impossible to accomplish with the number of employees they have. Re-making/downgrading/optimizing 3d assets and model art takes a significant amount of time in the development process.

I dunno why people still expect any kind of major content for GTSport. If GT7 is to release later this year or even the next, then Polyphony will be crunching to make enough next-gen quality content for it and get it out the door.

To also make significant content for GTSport (even just a couple of tracks) while trying to get a PS5 GT7 out in time would put a ridiculous burden on the devs, and is literally impossible to accomplish with the number of employees they have. Re-making/downgrading/optimizing 3d assets and model art takes a significant amount of time in the development process.
There won't be a major content update for GT Sport right before GT7 releases. And in my opinion, it's completely pointless because GT Sport has pretty much run it's course at this point. Why waste time developing more content for an old game when you can work on making the next game?

Well, it would be better if PD release their next game on PS5 rather than making the same mistake of releasing late on console cycle like GT6. Would you rather have the next GT develop for PS4 then wait another 3-4 years for a proper next gen Gran Turismo?
I agree here. I don't want to see the game too late in the cycle, or else I will probably move to PC.

I think they always delayed the content produced, so that what we will be getting in the future months is already packed and waiting to be delivered. I honestly don't know how they will manage the current network built with gt sport. Will they lose all the player base? GT Sport worked because it had a lot to do with network externalities and developing a similar system for the next generation (assuming they will as I don't see a reason they'll throw out of the window the job done on the e-sport side), might come up short if the installed base will not be sufficient. And they can't update the "sport mode" later on because from a brand image point of view it would be disastrous.

So I don't think it will be a launch title, I think it could be on the market on Q4 2021

Regarding the content cutoff, I think it will be kept somewhat alive until GT7 releases, because they now have an active online community, that they will not want to lose. By releasing some content over the next few months, they can retain that community until GT7.
Also note that the content updates have already been dialed back significantly in recent months.
I think Q4 2020 as a PS5 launch title is still pretty likely.
I understand that but I was basing my theories on what has occurred in the past. Granted during the life of GT Sport PD have been more talkative with the community and have continuously added more content (they really needed to) in comparison to previous titles but whether or not old habits die hard remain to be seen.
(For example, the last bit of content GT5 had was in January 2013, four months before GT6 was announced. Similarly, the last of content for GT6 was in September 2015, three months before GT Sport was announced)

GT5 was weird. There was just regular content updates at first and then they just starting pulling out Spec 2.0 DLC like a year after the game released.

“Rumors”. A thought isn’t a rumour. Nevertheless, I love these kinds of threads. In holland we have a type of cookie called speculation. This thread tastes just like it☺️

There won't be a major content update for GT Sport right before GT7 releases. And in my opinion, it's completely pointless because GT Sport has pretty much run it's course at this point. Why waste time developing more content for an old game when you can work on making the next game?
Unless we’re in for a surprise launch window release. GT7 is likely 12-18 months away.

GTS has added approx 1m players/accounts in the last couple of months. Realistically they could sell another couple million copies before GT7 arrives. There’s also the potential for a PS+ release.

With PS5 being backwards compatible the title will also have a life into next-gen.

Unless we’re in for a surprise launch window release. GT7 is likely 12-18 months away.

GTS has added approx 1m players/accounts in the last couple of months. Realistically they could sell another couple million copies before GT7 arrives. There’s also the potential for a PS+ release.

With PS5 being backwards compatible the title will also have a life into next-gen.
There hasn't been a single first party PS5 launch title revealed yet. There will definitely be first party launch titles. There have been many rumors that GT7 is one of them.

There hasn't been a single first party PS5 launch title revealed yet. There will definitely be first party launch titles. There have been many rumors that GT7 is one of them.
Rumors, huh? With what evidence?

Back