Russian cars

• Thread starter wireless
  • 79 comments
Give some respect to the Russian Cars!

wtcc-termas-de-rio-hondo-2015-robert-huff-lada-sport-rosneft-lada-vesta-wtcc.jpg

I am from post communist country (Lithuania) in Europe that was occupied by soviet union and believe me russian cars are really terrible in general. Maybe the only car that is somehow good lada niva for 4x4 purposes that's all. There is a reason why even russians nowadays don't want to buy then. The best cars overall of soviet block countries was from that time called czechoslovakia (later country splint into two entities). They there the most modern as they could be during that period and overall balanced. I mean škoda and tatra cars. Škoda even raced quite good at rallies and asphalt races. Estonia even had their own build formula cup. In Lithuania were was a company called (vfts) (Vilniusskaja fabrika transportnyh sredstv/Вильнюсская фабрика транспортных средств) witch specialized in a preparation of rally/race versions of Lada vehicles and engines. Best known after Lada-2105 rally vehicle version prepared under Group B rules. This company was founded and managed by famous Lithuanian rally driver Stasys Brunza.

The group B lada never made it's debut. (lada eva)

eva07.jpg

One of the if not the best know car in soviet union rally history is this yellow Lada 1600. Lithuanian professional driver Statys Brunza drove it to the 6th place in Acropolis rally in 1976. Keep in mind how terrible soviet union cars were at a time and how uncompetitive compered to any western car manufacturer. It was a miracle at that time to beat foreign cars.

91368813.jpg

Formula estonia (made in Estonia)

estonia-21-03.jpg

Škoda 130 RS (air cooled engine) (made in czechoslovakia)

Kollers_Oldtimer_Museum_2012_31.jpg

Tatra T603 (air cooled engine) (made in czechoslovakia)

800px-Tatra_T603.jpg

When the Sailors from Lithuania port (Klaipėda) imported their first foreign cars in very late 80s (Ford Granada) compared to russian cars those where like out of this world... believe me

Last edited:
My grandfather had one of these:

Moskwitch_(7907031326).jpg

A Moskvitch 412, built in 1979 with a MZMA 50hp engine and 4-speed manual. One of my dreams was to import it to Canada to restore it, but it was in such poor condition that it was parted out when my grandfather passed away.

When it comes to these type of cars, anything like the Volvo 242 is already a Russian/communist car.

Rare archive photo:
Ayrton Senna driving a Lada 21011 (export name "Lada 1300") on Hungaroring shortly before the Hungarian GP 1986.
a4ScKGNPdRk.jpg

The photo was made by a person who worked on this track 1986 to 1992. When came to Hungaroring, Senna asked to provide him a car that is most popular in Hungary. They gave him this Lada.

This is the 2012 ZIL 4112R, one of Vladimir Putin's former limousines. Just one was made, it took six years to build, and was recently sold for a price of $1,200,000. Not much else is known about this barge, but many speculate that it was powered by 7.7L V8 with 400 horsepower, and had a 5-speed automatic.

gallery-1454969947-screen-shot-2016-02-08-at-50647-pm.png

Moskvich 410, one of my favourites. 👍
The 4WD version of the Moskvich 402 made for countryside terrain. It also had a wagon version called Moskvich 411:
411-1.jpg

Moskvich 412, the Soviet rally star. Took 3rd place in the team ranking of 1970 London-Mexico Rally.
The orange one on the second pic is Moskvich 2140, the restyled and updated version of the 412. I used to drive it in rFactor a lot. :D (It was a part of the "East Cars" series mod.)

On the third pic, there's some British touring championship (note the driver's position on the right). The 412 was sold as "Moskvich 1500" in the UK.

This is the 2012 ZIL 4112R, one of Vladimir Putin's former limousines.
No. Actually, Putin never used any ZiLs as an official state car. He is always driven in a Mercedes S600 Guard.
The last Russian (Soviet) leader to use a Russian car as official transport was Mikhail Gorbachov, it was a 1985 ZiL 4105.
623171.jpg

Unfortunately, the ZiL company is almost dead today. I heard they still make limousines by individual orders and do restoration of the old ones.

I like some of the bigger stuff...the ZiL Limos were actually pretty decent for what they were...They have V8s (based on Packard units, IIRC,) and driveshafts within driveshafts.

putinPA091205_450x317.jpg

and while technically not russian, the Tatra 8x8 is Soviet engineered...and friggin' Bad Ass.

Tatra-T-815-8x8-Hlavac-191005-01.jpg

Seriously, I had thoughts about using the axles for a paper monster truck project.
Those are made of much, much stronger Russian metal and rear differential is made of granite and iron :)

Back