Russian cars

• Thread starter wireless
  • 79 comments
What do you think about russian cars? Did you heard something about "ZIL" or "VAZ"? How many people drove these cars? (cuz, not from Russia) :)

Sorry for my question, but it is really interesting for me :)

Back in the day.

Todays Russian cars, I have no clue.

Bush seal of approval

903D4515-C138-4818-BED7-EA7E7E36FE8B_mw800_mh600_s.jpg

I quite like some of the old Iron Curtain cars (Eastern European as well as Russian). They've been sneered upon for a long time but more recently the ones that have survived are actually rising in value again as they become appreciated as classics.

Obviously, many of them are truly awful but they have character. And now that they're not used daily, they can be fun classics to hide away and use for shows or whatever.

I managed to find a site about some of them: http://www.oldrussiancars.com/

Also worth watching is this video of old Top Gear from 1997, Andy Wilman (current TG producer) drives some old soviet cars:

I like some of the bigger stuff...the ZiL Limos were actually pretty decent for what they were...They have V8s (based on Packard units, IIRC,) and driveshafts within driveshafts.

putinPA091205_450x317.jpg

and while technically not russian, the Tatra 8x8 is Soviet engineered...and friggin' Bad Ass.

Tatra-T-815-8x8-Hlavac-191005-01.jpg

Seriously, I had thoughts about using the axles for a paper monster truck project.

Last edited:
this is one of the reasons I'd like to see a couple thrown in to GT for the heck of it. mostly to see what would happen with Gran Turismo style tuning

as for me, I have a leaning towards GAZ's for some reason. I believe the car that W and Putin are in is a Moskvitch?

I kinda like the older bigger cars. Like the GAZ ZIM or the Chaika.

53zimlec.jpg

^GAZ-12 ZIM

A old friend of my father's had a Lada 2107 once. The electric wasn't reliable at all but the rest... A bomb could detonate right next to it and I bet it would still drive...

I believe the car that W and Putin are in is a Moskvitch?
Nah, that's a GAZ-21 Volga. (Just noticed: It even says so on the license plate, lol)

Pity they couldn't continue really. I reckon Thommo could have got some even better results given more time in the car, but the WTCC wasn't his main concern that year (I think he was racing in the Danish series or something in a Honda, which he won).

You'll note in the pic Roo posted above too that Thompson had a newer version of the car.

Here's an interesting one, you can once again buy a brand new Lada Niva in the UK:

car_photo_388204_25.jpg

car_photo_388207_25.jpg

car_photo_388198_25.jpg

Auto Express road test

Quite cool. Has an honest charm about it. Probably awful to drive on the road but most will be bought by farming types anyway and used off-road the whole time.

You'll note in the pic Roo posted above too that Thompson had a newer version of the car.

Only for 2 rounds. van Lagen was actually on course to finish 5th in Germany in the newer Priora, the round before Thommo's pair of 6ths, before being pushed off on the last corner of the last lap. I remember being quite annoyed about it.

Nivas ARE awesome. I'd love to have one just for the helluva it. Seems like they primarily understeer...but I think I'd primarily use mine for mudding and other midwestern offroad fun.

It'd be a laugh if it could get out of mud where guy's lifted diesel super duties would get stuck. Locker front, locker rear, it could probably do it.

Reading up on it, the things have coil springs at all four corners, with 5-link at the rear and IFS...it's really a good little truck, from the sound of it. Hm...if I could flare the fenders, get the suspension to travel under the lips, like a Short Course truck, decent mill...I think we have ourselves a Tough Truck winner, here...

and the "world's biggest sedan?" I'd love to see the axles they used for that monstrosity...seems to me it was a "classy" aircraft tow tractor.

EDIT: Note: The Niva is so good that GM Russia decided to reskin one for their own use...

chevrolet-niva.jpg

I know a few Niva's did manage to get over to the states (they rotted out even faster over here). I've also heard that Niva's are the best of the lot. i believe there was a rumor, once, that Russia was seriously thinking about importing one of their tough as Siberia in winter pickups over here for utility use

Note: The Niva is so good that GM Russia decided to reskin one for their own use...

hm...possible Tracker replacement, here?

I'd love to see them get it approved and over here. Correct me if I'm wrong, But I think the tracker was a Suzuki Samurai/Jimny most of it's life, and those aren't bad little offroaders, either. If you ignore Consumer Reports. Which is easy to do.

Todays Russian cars, I have no clue.

I've found what is probably the newest car built by a Russian manufacturer, the Derways Lifan 320, although it's a joint venture with two Chinese auto groups:

lifan-320.jpg

Built to look like a Mini it seems :)

Ya a buddy of mine went the China this summer and I got one e-mail from him saying the Chinese stolen your car with a picture of Lifan 320.

To be fair the current gen MINI looks like a Chinese copy of the first BMW MINI anyway ;) Slightly out of proportion, googly eyes etc...

Hey blame your goofy EU, don't kill pedestrians regulations on the goofiness of the car :P.

Yeah, there is that, and the fact the headlights are now separate to the hood so small accidents don't make for major repairs...

with a VAG grill, and Subaru headlights :P

hey, Russia...I've got an idea. get the boys down from MiG and Yak to help you design your cars. (you gotta admit, they put a lot of effort and beauty into those warplanes)

with a VAG grill, and Subaru headlights :P

hey, Russia...I've got an idea. get the boys down from MiG and Yak to help you design your cars. (you gotta admit, they put a lot of effort and beauty into those warplanes)

Hmm.. that idea worked for SAAB.. somewhat..

Well, It's a little more imaginative than the new Volga...

i-2004.jpg

Which is the previous-gen Sebring/Stratus...

I saw a program some time ago which showed car this being built as a direct replacement for the GAZ Volga, but demand for it is so low that they will stop producing it by the end of the year.

Wow. Chryslers don't even sell in Russia. Huge X to the D

Though MiG, Yakovlev, and Sukhoi might make some interesting designs if they could...

Latest Posts

Back