RVV Motor Works - White Knight - 10/02/10

Not that I can think of right now...

But, I have very much liked 2 of the 3 tunes of yours that I've tried, and I slightly liked that third one (Your first RX-8: A slight increase in cornering grip over stock, but still merciless understeer and bad stock stansmission). So... If I have something I want tuned, I think I'll give the MFT guys a break and request one from you. Actually, I'm currently trying to tune myself a Spoon S2000 Drifter. I think it would be more satisfying to do this one myself, though.

I'm not sure I ever mentioned this, but I was immensely impressed with the transmission you gave the 787B Enduro Tune, which was one reason I was so put off from the trannyless version of the RX-8. The lower gears of the 787B were very friendly, as I said before, but I only afterwards noticedc the lovely way it approaches top speed, never touching the rev limiter, but at such a high RPM that I feel the need to upshift. It's an impressive exercise in precision and refining something that few ever bother to notice. It's an excellent racecar tune, and I actually actively look for places I can use it.

I'll be redoing the RX-8 gearbox for normal racing as well (The current set tops it out rather early and is more suited for Touge use), so expect that sometime soon, within a week or so.

Toyota7Banner.jpg

Parts List
R2 Tires
Nothing else, carry on.

The Setup

SUSPENSION:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Spring Rate:-------6.0/6.9
Ride Height:-------85/85
Shock Bound:-------4/3
Shock Rebound:-----7/6
Camber:------------2.5/2.0
Toe:---------------0/0
Stabilizers:-------6/6
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Transmission:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Final to 5.500, autoset to 1. Then set ratios and final.
Ratios of: [2.576/1.789/1.324/1.125/0.966]
Final of 2.870.

LSD/Downforce and others:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
LSD: 17/35/12

Brake Balance: 7/14

Ballast Weight: 0kg

Ballast Balance: 0 (neutral)

Downforce: 30/50

Aids: None at all
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: The Toyota 7 was a beast in its own time... And to this day it remains one. 750-850hp depending on tune, in a chassis lighter than half an FD RX-7.

Of course, it will go. But compared to more modern race vehicles, the T7 has a very poor aerodynamic package, with high drag and lowish downforce. Handling can always be improved through further suspension tweaking, and so it was. The car was softened considerably to handle rough tracks better, and camber angles were tweaked to provide better grip.

The gearing was redone, closing it up between 3rd and 5th, to help top-end acceleration. However, due to the previously mentioned poor aerodynamics, top speed is limited to 210-215mph. Not bad, but certainly slow in comparison to modern monsters.

While a VERY good driver may be able to pilot this vehicle to victory against newer racers, the car itself remains simple to drive despite lacking modern traction control. It will light the tires all the way through first no matter what, and through second if you're a complete leadfoot, but letting off to about 80% throttle in second up to about 90-100mph will allow you to keep the tires from spinning.

Good luck.

Was that my comment? I forgot, what did I say, what's happening? Who am I, who's talking :sly: I'm getting too old already apparently.

Was that my comment? I forgot, what did I say, what's happening? Who am I, who's talking :sly: I'm getting too old already apparently.

Haha, yeah it was you. I just was under the impression you wouldn't have forgotten it yet.;)

Anyway your review did help a lot, big thanks for that.:)

I'll see when I'm in the possesion of enough time to write you back, it's quite big.:P

The Toyota 7 tune is very impressive. There is a bit of suspension motion, just enough to give the car a very slight tendency towards oversteer on turn-in, and rear wheel traction on corner exits. The braking is improved versus stock, with shorter distances. Finally, the transmission is very nice. It seems that the throttle can be floored at any point on the tach in gear 2 excpt about 5500RPM. A bit of the biblical low-speed acceleration of the stock form is lost, but the high-speed acceleration is improved. When the tuned version is compared to stock, it is better by a smallish margin; a very slight improvement in speed, and the car behaving more nicely in corners, with less wheelspin (probably because the shotgun-esque accleration is lessened) and more predictably. But, there's a hidden, and pretty odd, unfairness in this comparison: The modified version is lower-spec than the stock version, with a tire downgrade from R3s to R2s. Which means that the tuned version is capable of slightly more than the stock version, with higher A-Spec points and tire-life. An excellent tune!

Not to mention, there's always still the possibility of running it with R3s 💡

Yep, the gearing needed to limit wheelspin on R2s does hurt the low-speed pull a bit, but I could always do a second gearset for R3s.

Alfa GT Review
First thing's first, is this the same engine as in the Brera V6? If it is this engine is based off the same 3.6L V6 designed by Holden. Now, this is a good car, it has good turn-in and turns well at partial throttle. At full throttle it is a bit too understeery and I have an idea that may fix that. (I'll come back to that). I think, and I'm sorry, that the gears are a little sloppy. By your rough description of the gears I couldn't get them all to match up and be linear so to speak. That would require a slight modification of 4th and maybe 5th gear as well. I think the LSD is pretty fine the way it is also. I'm going to try and improve this one also. I'm about to start testing- first I think the front camber is too high, it's probable it will like something in the range of 1.5-2.0 to strike a balance between conering and straight line and get the tyres contacting the road as much as possible. I'll also try using less front stabiliser as this might improve high speed cornering. I will try swapping the spring rates also as for all FFs I've tuned they have less understeer when the fronts a stiffer. Obviously I will change the gears so they are linear for me, and then after doing these things, this is the part I was talking about earlier. I'll buy rigidity increase and see how that changes it then come back and tell you. With the Golf V without rigidity increase it understeers like a dog, so maybe this will be the same?

Edit: I've shaved over a second on the time I achieved with your tune by using the following changes:
Downforce, LSD, and Brake Balance are the same.
Suspension settings changed:
Spring rates: 7.0/5.5 (same as yours except switched around so stiffer up front, big help)
Camber: 1.8/1.5 (different front camber, also a big help)
Stabiliser: 1/4 (different front stabiliser, helps a little)
I could have added toe or more downforce etc. But this seems to be a factory style tune plus I didn't want to differ from yours too much. I did change the gears, let me know if you want to know what I did- it seems a little better. I'm now going to try lowering the ride height (you never know), then I will try rigidity increase. I'm currently in the 2'08s at GVS, with your tune I was in the 2'10s.

Edit 2: I lowered it to Ride Height: 73/73
I can't notice any negative side effects of the change, but positives- the car looks cooler, and you can get on the throttle just a little earlier thanks to slightly reduced wheelspin. My current lap record is 2'08.558 with all the changes I made.

Edit 3: Rigidity Increase is up to you. I am not sure whether or not it made it better or worse. It feels different, more precise, more predictable. But lap times are much and much the same. My final lap record for this car is 2'08.477 with all the changes I made. I hope you try these changes as they transform the car. Now I really wish you hadn't stolen this platform from under us :sly:

I don't know where to find this kind of information, sadly, but I think you're right. This certainly is a good car, made even better.:) Funny to see that the thing one would normally do to lower understeer(lower the front springs/higher the rear springs) under throttle, maybe combined with some LSD tweaking, totally did not help here...
And I might have improved my description of the gears also.:P
Oh you don't have to put them up, I always like to do the gears myself.;)
Good of you to think about the rig. increase, but it wasn't really my intention to make a full spec racer of this one...

After testing all your changes, I must say I'm impressed. Just swapping the springs did one hell of a job, making the car much easier to control and shaving 1.5 seconds of my ghost lap. Thanks for that, bro!
Only, the other changes, for me did not really make a big difference. The camber improvement seemed to me more theoretical improvement then a real practical improvement. Oh well, maybe I'm not that good at seeing the point of a 0.05+- s improvement in time...
As you might know already, it's quite the same story with the Stabiliser improvement.

About the R height, I liked it this way because how are you ever going to have no damage if your car only sits 7.3 cm of the ground!:P
The real reason was because I preferred to keep it "Street", because it's now slowly reaching the level of "Race". That's why I didn't go for the Rig. increase.

And as RJ suggested, I put a little more initial and a little less acc on the LSD, making the inside wheel a little less on the verge of being allowed to light up. :sly:

I hope you liked my comment on your review, if you have further questions, just let me know.👍

Edit: almost forgot:

LSD: 12/20/7

Trans:
- final: 5.000
- auto: 1
- final: 3.750

1st: 3.000
2nd: 2.220
3rd: 1.735
4th: 1.400
5th: 1.130
6th: 0.975

Click here for the original setup post

OK cool, all FFs are like that with the spring rates, it's a little wierd I know. I thought it was a street tune, I guess mine's a race tune now :embarrassed: The stabilisers will make most difference at high speed corners, at low speeds it may not be so noticable. The camber I did just keeps more of a contact patch, especially in a straight line, between the tyres and road. The difference won't be too noticeable but it normally helps a little.
Anyway, I'm glad my review helped. 👍

No problemo:)

Just a question, who of you guys (the frequent visitors especially), has got hold of GT5: Prologue already? It's out in Europe since the three days ago, but because I had totally forgotten about it, (I was under the impression it would be delayed, as the tradition of the GT series.) I've already spent my juice! Hmm...

Lookie here, I feel like driving the Shelby Mustang Vince made. It sounds like a relatively fun ride.

Oh please do, you will have fun in that beast!:P It's my favorite car, in and outside the game, so I spent some extra rounds with that one.

Oh, and also good to mention, the Shelby GT350R is very (semi) drift capable if you stick it to S grade tyres. I know Drifters normally are put on N grade, but that's a bit too much on this one, believe me, I tried.;)

I only just noticed it is on race tyres, not going to drive it now.
J/k :lol: April Fools :lol: I'll drive it, but if you have a sports tyre version (maybe with less power?) I'd like to drive it. But otherwise I'll certainly drive this one. I'm driving it because I'm on a bit of a rampage, to drive muscle cars, but actually tune them this time. If you like muscle cars you should check out the cars hitting Aussie Tuners soon. Our theme is essentialy Detroit, for a very long time ;) Can't leave GT4 without doing the muscle cars :sly:

Haha, funny guy you are. ;)
Oh I must be having the settings for the S grade laying around here somewhere.:P

Edit: Found them!

- Downgrade to NA stage 1 and S3 tyres and you're ready to go! (Just make sure to test the R grade out too.;))

I've acquired and built the Shelby, but I'm yet to tune it and test it. That'll have to come tomorrow as I need to go to work right about now.
I did wish you left the stock exhaust on though, it sounds better :indiff:

Edit: Shelby GT 350R Race Tyre Review
This is certainly one wild and fun car to drive, drift when you want drift and grip when you want grip. The car has good turn-in but the brake pressure is too high for R grade tyres and the tyres to lock up a little when braking. It has ever so slight wheelspin in second, but as the comment I used on Roj's NSX in TCV3, any ape with half and idea of what throttle control is could control it. Otherwise the car turns really well, no understeer at all, and a bit of power oversteer. It's great because when you do start powersliding it wont kill you, it will just right itself again and off you go which is why I could drift in it too. It's not the quickest race tyre tune out there and I don't see any competition for it but I like it. The only other thing wrong with it is the gearing, which is too long. Make the final ratio shorter and the and the lowest gears longer and I think it will be quite the weapon. That and less brake pressure and it is/will be one nice car.

Did you have any special gearing for the Sport tyre version or can I make up my own ratios?

Thanks for the interesting review, Holden.:)

Haha, well exhaust tunes are always a good subject of discussion.;) I put the little bit too high brake pressure on it so it things might get too hot mid corner you can tap the brakes a little and get stuff back together.

Oh please, choose the gearing that works best with your style. I'm sorry heavy exams next week so I'll be a bit off GTP, and a bit in to my books.:P

Back