S5000 SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 144 comments
Australia
Australia
https://www.speedcafe.com/2018/08/23/new-s5000-car-revealed-ahead-of-2019-launch/

barrichello-1.jpg

S5000-.1.jpg

S5000-main-wide.jpg

https://www.s5000.com.au/
- 560hp Coyote V8
- six-speed sequential gearbox
- 17" rear wheels
- First Formula series in Australia, to use the halo safety system
- $300,000

Last edited:
I’d love to see this take off but I’ll keep my expectations in check for now.

Perhaps they would be better off running the series in the off-season (starting late-October for a revival of the Gold Coast Indy and finishing at the Adelaide 500), do some races in NZ and treat it as a modern day Tasman Series. They could even try to lure in some big names just like the Tasman Series did back in the mid to late ‘60s.

I’d love to see this take off but I’ll keep my expectations in check for now.

Perhaps they would be better off running the series in the off-season (starting late-October for a revival of the Gold Coast Indy and finishing at the Adelaide 500), do some races in NZ and treat it as a modern day Tasman Series. They could even try to lure in some big names just like the Tasman Series did back in the mid to late ‘60s.
I'd also add the AGP round.

Those front wheels look way to small I reckon it puts the front end off. I would love to see a Tasman series style thing go down

Interesting that Supercars and Payce don’t have any part in it anymore by the looks of it.

While I do want it to take off, I do have my doubts. Who’s going to race them? We don’t want gentlemen drivers, it’s not a destination for up and comers, it’s not a destination for international drivers, and I have huge doubts that any Supercars drivers would want to do double duty. You could maybe get some Super 2 or Carrera Cup drivers, maybe some former Supercars drivers, but it wouldn’t really be enough for the hype to be fulfilled.

They’d almost have to be a summer series unless they just want to be a Supercars support, with lower rate drivers.

Yeah, I could see David Wall, Moffat, Alex Davison and maybe Dale Wood, driving round on a weekend. Maybe Rusty French has Thomas Randle steer one for the proposed 5 races. I Really can't call anyone else.

Yeah, I could see David Wall, Moffat, Alex Davison and maybe Dale Wood, driving round on a weekend. Maybe Rusty French has Thomas Randle steer one for the proposed 5 races. I Really can't call anyone else.

Randle was actually one I was thinking of, since he’s from an open wheel background.

Those front wheels look way to small I reckon it puts the front end off. I would love to see a Tasman series style thing go down
They were originally going for the old F5000 look which could be the reason for the small fronts, but with the new monocoque they've lost that look :(.
42489355061_100ec2a219_b.jpg

I'd also love to see a revival of the Tasman Series. I'll always remember seeing the old F1's and F5000's at Mallala as a kid... and that sound :drool:.

The front wheel size fits the retro style above but just looks damned odd with a modern monocoque.

Is the front track actually wider than the rear or is that a perspective rendering rather than orthographic?

I think if you're building a brand new racing car...maybe consider passing before you finalize the design on it. Going back and adding gimmicks in just means you didn't build it right in the first place (if close racing is your goal, particularly in a stock series). You can always introduce less tire, or less wing.

This thing excites me. It reminds me a lot of the old F5000 series races I used to attend - fast like a Can-Am car, but more egalitarian. That engine looks bulletproof.

S5000-launch-1200x801.jpg

The all-new S5000 car

ARG confirmed that the series will begin at the Shannons Nationals Sydney Motorsport Park season opener from May 17-19 alongside TCR Australia.

The news arrives having investigated the possibility of running as a support series at Supercars events.

S5000 will also take in rounds at Phillip Island, Winton, Sandown, as well as two visits to The Bend Motorsport Park.

The open wheel category is also investigating opportunities to hold non-championship events, pending discussions with other racing promotors.

Other possible calendar inclusions could also see the revival of a Tasman Series, including events in New Zealand over the summer.

Category manager Chris Lambden is hoping the launch will trigger the first confirmed entries, while revealing that talks to feature at Supercars events in the future are ongoing.

Some of your concerns may be addressed... vehicle wise.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/04/05/s5000-to-delay-2019-season-launch/

I think The Bend(as it's the newest) and maybe SMP. I'd have to check Phillip Island. It got upgrades to some of the infield marshalls posts.
Winton and Sandown definitely aren't. There's not much, if any, run off at Sandown. Winton got upgrades to curbing.

Some of your concerns may be addressed... vehicle wise.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/04/05/s5000-to-delay-2019-season-launch/

I think The Bend(as it's the newest) and maybe SMP. I'd have to check Phillip Island. It got upgrades to some of the infield marshalls posts.
Winton and Sandown definitely aren't. There's not much, if any, run off at Sandown. Winton got upgrades to curbing.
The Bend, Sydney Motorsport Park, and of all places, Surfers Paradise :scared:. Most of ours are Grade 3.
Untitled.png

How the heck could Surfers be on there? Due to Indy cars running there, but huh? Maybe because of the catch fencing? I have no idea.

Wow, no PI? Even with GT3 and MotoGP events.

Back