S5000 SeriesOpen Wheel 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 144 comments
Wow, no PI? Even with GT3 and MotoGP events.
The grading doesn’t just account for safety, it includes facilities and such too. I wonder if the location and road infrastructure plays a part too.

The grading doesn’t just account for safety, it includes facilities and such too. I wonder if the location and road infrastructure plays a part too.
Some place like Spa, up in the mountains. It has run off, but it's a woodland area. I guess with Phillip Island being where it is and as you mentioned about facilities, but I haven't hung around the towns on the way to the circuit.

I wish you all the very best in getting F5000 properly revived.

In 1973, I was privileged to witness an F5000 race at my home circuit, Pacific Raceways (which was then one of the most dangerous circuits on the continent if not the whole world) in which 33 drivers started, including no fewer than 14 past, present or future F1 runners, and several Aussies including Graham McRae, Frank Matich, Johnnie Walker and Max Stewart.

Jody Scheckter fought spectacularly with Mark Donohue and David Hobbs for the win, but Brian Redman won a memorable race.

Say what?!:eek:
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/08/16/formula-1-race-winner-lands-sandown-s5000-drive/
IMG_6969.JPG

I fondly recall grids of 30 cars just like these, made mostly by Lola, McLaren and Surtees, driven by past, present and future F1, Can-Am, and Indycar drivers on my scary dangerous local circuit at Kent, Washington. Standing directly at trackside behind a chicken wire fence you could feel the ground shake under your feet as they blasted away at the start with a satisfying, smoking, thunderous roar. Much more competitive than Can-Am, and, for me, exceeded in thrill factor only by F1 at Long Beach.

Yeah, "Umm, I don't know where I should start. Don't want to bury myself in the pack starting P3 of 5!".

Anyway, just have it be the fastest starts first and reverse the top 10.

I do know a little bit about it. This is the basic idea of how sprint kart racing was run when I was doing it back in the 80's and 90's, but much more elaborate. We usually had 20 or more runners. For the drivers, it's a great system for learning to race and qualify, and for the fans it guarantees passing action in the inverted heats. The starts become particularly interesting.

My homage to your bold new S5000 series, shots of winners at a recent Watkins Glen F5000 revival F5000 championship race.

1200x678x2019-SVRA-WGI-3883-Alexander-Rossini-e1568384858150.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ZtFwRYgMqC.jpg

Paul Dudiak on his way to the F5000 Class A championship in his 1969 McKee Mk12. Photo: Alexander Rossini (Vintage Motorsport)

1200x630xvm_web-8133.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Kz9m6gRW-q.jpg

Rick Parsons wheeling this 1976 Lola T332c on his way to the Class B championship at IMS. Photo: Bill Nesius (Vintage Motorsport)

Well that's quite a broad spectrum of experience lining up for the first race. Pretty easy to predict cream will rise to the top, but will reliability play a role? Brabham's remarks confirm the car is going to be handful; controlling wheelspin in a straight line is a great problem to have! :drool:

Latest Posts

Back