Safety cars - whats the point?

• Thread starter CustomX
  • 70 comments
enable many people to drive their actual car
We can't think like that now can we? Imagine throwing a fit because your car is not in the game or because a version (normally the best version) in the game is not the one you like or own?

The point of adding models is to give us the experience of driving them. Those same 30 Miatas are literally that, the same. It changes no experience when driving them.

If we however do have the Miata from 89, the Miata from 2004, the one from 2010 and the new one from 2018, now that's a different story as those are generational changes where the cars are fundamentally different (PS. I may have gotten the year models wrong but you get the point).

And they still do take time to generate because the interiors are different so that's another thing they have to remodel, so that's yet again more resources wasted on nothing, instead of actual different cars that different people may like.

"If other people like to drive 30 exact same Mazda MX-5s with the only difference being inside and outside cosmetics, where is the problem?"

Checkmate.
No checkmate...since I have no problem with that either...and there are no 30 Mazda MX-5s in the game, so your argument is a fake argument

We can't think like that now can we? Imagine throwing a fit because your car is not in the game or because a version (normally the best version) in the game is not the one you like or own?

The point of adding models is to give us the experience of driving them. Those same 30 Miatas are literally that, the same. It changes no experience when driving them.

If we however do have the Miata from 89, the Miata from 2004, the one from 2010 and the new one from 2018, now that's a different story as those are generational changes where the cars are fundamentally different (PS. I may have gotten the year models wrong but you get the point).

And they still do take time to generate because the interiors are different so that's another thing they have to remodel, so that's yet again more resources wasted on nothing, instead of actual different cars that different people may like.
I know; I see both sides of the argument, I'm just kinda tired of the "30 Miatas" trope being thrown out there for the past 20 years.

But there were minor differences in performance even within each generation. For example, NAs (the first generation) came in both 1.6L an 1.8L varieties, with open, viscous, and torsen differentials, and with different size wheels. Trust me when I tell you that a 1.6 car with an open differential drives quite differently than a 1.8 with a torsen.

I know; I see both sides of the argument, I'm just kinda tired of the "30 Miatas" trope being thrown out there for the past 20 years.

But there were minor differences in performance even within each generation. For example, NAs (the first generation) came in both 1.6L an 1.8L varieties, with open, viscous, and torsen differentials, and with different size wheels. Trust me when I tell you that a 1.6 car with an open differential drives quite differently than a 1.8 with a torsen.
Hey man, I didn't say anything about the different engines. I was talking about the exact same cars but renamed to Roadster/Miata/Mx-5 or with just different cosmetics where you yourself can just go to GT Auto and set your own wheels on the car instead of PD actually making it a car you can buy, it's just pointless.

The "30 Miatas" I was just using it as reference, now the trend for PD to increase car count is using base models and add some bodykits and tuning and call them Model X Gr.B/Gr.4/Gr.3/Gr.1, when they could've just add those tuning parts to GT Auto and all we players would need to do is just buy the base model and upgrade it how we want, which would've been much better.

Instead they added those cars but did not give us the ability to create those cars in the same way they themselves did which was literally just that... Pick the base model and add bodykits and tuning.

PD has to focus on variety, which is what most people want. Where do you think the backflash from those 30 miatas and skylines and imprezas come from? And with good reason.

Then simply don't buy the safety cars if you don't want to drive them...

One reason why some poeple like them is that you can simply make police cars out of them in the livery creator. since they already have the toplights...and sometimes thete are lobbys where people play "regular traffic" and if someone drives to fast, the guys with the police cars come and try to catch them...
This!👍

Back in 2015 and 2016 they made a few trailers where the safety cars were actually used as safety/pace cars. Maybe they intended to have safety car periods in GT Sport/GT7 and ditched the idea at some point (because the games never have any damage or long races, which would make safety cars pointless and annoying), leaving us with a handful of useless cars?

Last edited:
If you're into collecting trophies, you have to buy one. I suspect that most folks that like collecting trophies also like collecting cars though, so it's probably not a problem for them.

@MMX I like the High Speed Ring GT-R, do you have the High Speed Ring logo separate? Haven't been able to get a decent one going in game.

I won the Megane one in the roulette, it was the first car I won off those - better than the 2,000cr I suppose.

@MMX I like the High Speed Ring GT-R, do you have the High Speed Ring logo separate? Haven't been able to get a decent one going in game.

I won the Megane one in the roulette, it was the first car I won off those - better than the 2,000cr I suppose.
I do. I'll attach it here, or send it to you tomorrow. It's on my other computer. I also have that logo, and several other track logos shared on GT Sport. I did a bunch of pace cars in GTS, just haven't brought them all over yet.

Well then don't drive it...but complaining about a car that you get for free seems a little bit strange...just keep it in your garage and sell it once we get the update that allows us to sell cars...
Even better, I won parts for one of the safety cars with a roulette ticket. Fantastic

Hopefully we can sell the garbage parts too

Except it’s not that simple. I received the Dodge Charger safety car from a daily ticket. I don’t really want it, but the game doesn’t allow discarding a car if you only own one instance of it.
You'll be able to sell it after the update.

You'll be able to sell it after the update.
We don’t know for sure. As mentioned, right now you can only discard duplicate cars. This could still be the case after they implement the ability to sell cars, but let’s hope not.

Unpopular opinion but the safety cars and most race cars in the game are a waste of space.
They could expand on the customization and let us create our own race cars, maybe even have an option in extreme tuning to tune cars to gr3, gr4 specs. I think that would be a better option than having the road version and 3 other race cars that look almost the same

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion but the safety cars and most race cars in the game are a waste of space.
They could expand on the customization and let us create our own race cars, maybe even have an option in extreme tuning to tune cars to gr3, gr4 specs. I think that would be a better option than having the road version and 3 other race cars that look almost the same
Do you really think that the Gr3 cars look almost the same as the road going versions ?

No, I mean that the race models look the same, for example, we have the corvette c7 gr3, gr3 road car, and gr4 and they look almost the same to me. I think its also the same with the 458, mustang, and other cars

Last edited:
Well not very different from the times (GT5 and GT&) you had about 30 Mazda Miata/Roadster/MX-5 that where in fact 10 different versions, each one of them in triple dosage Miata, Roadster and MX-5, just with minor cosmetic details related with the domestic market they refer to.
Don’t forget the ‘secret” cars with spy liveries 😂
And wasnt there a GT-R with a black blanket over it? 🤔

Last edited:
I was hoping there would be a single player race or championship where a crash occurs and the safety car is deployed and it’s part of the challenge to come in or stay out. It would have made a fun and interesting mission or cafe race.

I'm not sure whether it would work in GT7 as I've not done any online races yet, but in other games people have created a user-controlled safety car by having one player in the race act as the driver.

It works best when there is an option for a race director to keep an eye on each player's stream and call a safety car over the mic when necessary. The safety car driver spends most of the time parked up by the pit exit and comes onto the track when required. Restarts would be handled by the safety car entering the pits and then the race being restarted, either by the director over the mic, or F1-style with the leader controlling the restart.

Obviously this requires all the players to understand what the rules are and to behave accordingly as the game won't punish someone for overtaking behind the safety car, so it's more suited to closed leagues than public lobbies. It also reduces the number of actual racers, plus you need someone willing to spend their time doing the job.

Funny thread. After posting it yesterday and reading a few responses, it confirmed to me that I had no need for any safety cars as I like driving and don't care about scapes and liveries.

However after seeing all the bonkers posts and images of American cop cars, and sleeping on it............I just went and bought myself a damn safety car! Job well done you bunch of nutcases.

Just duplicates to add to the car number count so it may seem impressive that the game has X number of cars.

And yes, they serve no purpose. Just buy the regular car which doesn't have those ugly lights on the roof.

EDIT: They are good for 9 year old kids to make police liveries... 😂 Because, why the **** not right!?
20830125469342622.jpg
20829670212595556.jpg
39 year old adults like to make cops and robbers liveries too

They're mainly for RPing purposes, and to get annoyed at when you get a special part for them instead of the base car.

Many groups that I have raced with over the years use these cars for their intended purpose in league races. I've often been the one driving it if I wasn't racing in the event itself.

I just wish I could manually turn the lights off when the race was about to restart.

Latest Posts

Back